• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Spooked On The Job: Your Haunted Workplaces

I've worked many night shifts watching the weather in California and Hawaii. Generally, they were as peaceful as the workload permitted, with fewer interruptions from the main distraction in my line of work: living people.

Hawaii has a reputation as a spooky place in general, and Manoa Valley as one of the spookier parts of Honolulu, but when my work allowed a brief wander around campus, I recall mainly the stillness of the tropical night, interrupted by the sighing of the coconut palms in the trade winds. And oh, such stars, major city notwithstanding! I shall always miss the place.

Was I cheated, or blessed, in having avoided any otherworldly encounters?

I work for a company that provides laundry and rental services to various sectors including healthcare and hospitality. A few months after starting there I was chatting with a colleague who happened to mention that certain areas of the site seem have a bit of an atmosphere about them. I'd noticed this myself but put it down to environmental factors and so thought nothing of it. Fast forward a couple of months and I had an unusual experience.

I'd arrived at work at around 4am and had reversed the truck around the back to load up with cages to take back to another site around 40 miles away. The rear of the site is relatively narrow with the main building to one side and an external stores building to the other. It then opens out into a small yard with 2 big roller shutters and a pedestrian access door in the corner to the left. I was busy dragging cages onto the tail lift when I noticed someone walking diagonally from the direction of the door out into the yard. It's not unusual for one of the night shift guys to come out into the yard while I'm loading up so I turned my head to greet them. My brain was busy working out who it was that I was about to say good morning to when they suddenly weren't there any more. As I stood there, slightly puzzled, I realised that the figure I'd seen was completely in silhouette.

So yeah, pretty mundane but I found it quite perplexing. I did mention it in conversation a week or 2 later and found out that a few other people have seen things on the site too. A colleague witnessed someone who he took for the general manager walking into the stores building and followed to see what he needed but of course there was nobody in there. As I said, pretty mundane stuff but it's certainly intriguing. I'll obviously provide further updates if I hear of or witness anything else.

My wife works in the care industry and in her previous post in an elderly residents home, she experienced some odd things including a shadowy figure where no one was.
Now she works in admin in a large hospital which turns out has many spooky stories. My wife sorts out appointments, chasing up diagnoses etc and usually works with someone. But there have been things when she knows for sure that she's been on her own and no one has been in her office. Nothing grandiose, but returning to the office and finding things on her desk moved, the lights fiddled with etc.
Because she deals with confidential info the office is locked at all times. Her colleague was away and the only other keyholder was security.
On this memorable occasion she was having IT problems and threw her fluorescent marker on the floor in frustration. She went for a walk to calm down. When she returned her pen was back on her desk.
She checked with security and no one had been in. Since then it's gone quiet especially since her colleague is more regularly in.

Last edited:
About 20 years ago I did a stint temping on night shift in Sainsbury's, Burpham, just outside Guildford. Nothing of note happened.
I had to fill in for absent night porters more than a few times in my hotel career. Three of the hotels were reputed to be haunted and in one myself and others had heard strange noises from locked rooms late at night. But when you actually want something to happen it seems nothing does, but then isn't that the way with the paranormal? All those ghost hunting groups and they never see and/or record anything of note beyond dust orbs and shadows. All those UFO hunters sat on hillsides at night in Warminster and elsewhere and almost all of what they report is clearly the product of wishful thinking.

Yet a small boy walks to the shops one stormy day with his mum and sister* and a UFO appears overheard *Sigh*

*'Into the Uncanny' by Danny Robins

when you actually want something to happen it seems nothing does, but then isn't that the way with the paranormal?
So true. :chuckle:

Working for years in various converted English country manor houses that were reputedly stuffed with ghosts, I longed to be haunted. Heard lots of interesting stories from direct witnesses but rarely had much happen myself.
Ungrateful, I call it.

I've always put that down to the frame of mind of the witness. When you're relaxed and least expect it, things happen.

Most of the ghost groups you hear about are delusional and attribute any old crap to ghosts - and they just blindly accept the word of psychics and mediums which is not "proof"

I've always put that down to the frame of mind of the witness. When you're relaxed and least expect it, things happen.

Most of the ghost groups you hear about are delusional and attribute any old crap to ghosts - and they just blindly accept the word of psychics and mediums which is not "proof"
Also I personally believe there is an intelligence at play, too.

I'm inclined to believe that just as poetry and prose and music could be said to cast an atmospheric spell on us, so too our being open for or unconsciously 'ready' for supernatural events. Of course, my latest idle thought ignores the vast evidence of people being completely unprepared for - and taken surprise by - such incidents.

I'm the kind of person who regularly gets confused about which is left, and right; so imagine this twit being confronted by what may be a ghost...

Anyway, a couple of decades ago I worked nightshifts in a plastics factory. If you own a toothbrush that went bald in a matter of seconds, blame me. One night, I was alone at the rear of the factory, and saw a vague 'boy' emerge from the concrete/breeze block wall. Before long, it became like points of light, and slowly vanished. A curious thing is that when I rushed to tell the few other workers, even the ones who'd normally laugh uproariously at my everyday bonkersness developed goose pimples(!) Anyway, apparently other people had witnessed similar. My friend Jane and I went to the library to investigate the area's history; being clueless, a kind librarian helped us, and it turned out that there was only one suggestive thing about the specific site - it used to be a kind of communal swimming pool and, apparently, a boy had drowned there before it inevitably closed.

I'm well-used to my reactionary idiocy by now (and was even then), and so over the years I've decided that I was merely tired and therefore hallucinated or whatever. However, some things give me pause nonetheless:

* Both Jane and I apparently saw exactly the same thing, even down to the colour of the clothing.
* This may well be peripheral, but a couple of local industrial estates are pretty infamous among workers for hauntings. A few anecdotes known to me follow:

* At a different factory, workmen have refused to work or stay overnight after reporting noises such as shouting and hammering, and seeing contemporaneous sparks in darkness; that area was once a quarry. In Winter, my dad and his boss arrived to open up the factory and found the workmen had gone to sleep in their vans because they would no longer in the unit at night, despite it being much more prepared, warmer, and comfortable indoors.
* One worker (same factory) saw a 'devil' waiting for him in the corridor between machines; another saw a sinister man in the same 'alleyway'; it might be notable that both men were known to be cheating on their wives (guilty conscience triggering hallucinations perhaps?).
* Employees did not like to walk the 'scenic route - long grass etc - to the factory because of the scary feeling of being watched. This path led directly to the remains of the old quarry, and was a path used in those times by quarry workers.

There's more, but mostly minor and uninteresting poltergeist-type stuff. Despite all this 'evidence', I still doubt myself...simply because I know how bad nightshifts can be - you can feel zombiefied night and day.

Yet l did 23 years out on the beat, a third of my shifts being nights; l regularly walked a beat around a large, ancient church building; l have spent many, many hours in or around the scenes of murders, suicides and fatal accidents, and l have read horror, fantasy and SF since childhood, yet my total of Fortean experiences is zero.

There ain’t no justice.

maximus otter

Yet l did 23 years out on the beat, a third of my shifts being nights; l regularly walked a beat around a large, ancient church building; l have spent many, many hours in or around the scenes of murders, suicides and fatal accidents, and l have read horror, fantasy and SF since childhood, yet my total of Fortean experiences is zero.

There ain’t no justice.

maximus otter
You scare the hell out of us Max - just think what you do to them ghosts!

You've either got it or you aint, Max.

Nah, Max is a clearly much more sensible and grounded than me. The fact that I always doubt the odd things I've seen (actually, only a few occasions in total) later on, though they genuinely happened to me, shows that I'm unsure of my mind or imagination. e.g. today I bought three items, paid for them at the self-service point (always tricky for me), came home and found that I'd left them all in the shop. I laugh this kind of thing off because to dwell on it would make me unhappy.

There ain’t no justice.

maximus otter
No, but the dead guy who wasn't really dead and nearly made you crap yourself gave us all a good laugh.

When you're relaxed and least expect it, things happen.
Whenever I’ve seen/heard/half-seen things I can’t explain, my mind has always been ‘freewheeling‘, relaxed, thinking about something else. Which is a pain really because as @escargot and @DrPaulLee said, you don’t have time to process or notice as much as you might if you were alert.

Whenever I’ve seen/heard/half-seen things I can’t explain, my mind has always been ‘freewheeling‘, relaxed, thinking about something else. Which is a pain really because as @escargot and @DrPaulLee said, you don’t have time to process or notice as much as you might if you were alert.
I also wonder if, when we're working, we're not in the sufficiently 'relaxed' frame of mind necessary to perceive anything paranormal? There are some jobs where you can mentally freewheel, I'm sure (thinking of night security guards maybe), but I know that in most of my jobs I've been constantly having to think about 'what's next, what do I have to do now, who do I have to call'...etc etc. ie, I can be relaxed in one way (I know the job so I'm not tense and nervous) but not sufficiently for my mind to wander

also wonder if, when we're working, we're not in the sufficiently 'relaxed' frame of mind necessary to perceive anything paranormal? There are some jobs where you can mentally freewheel, I'm sure (thinking of night security guards maybe), but I know that in most of my jobs I've been constantly having to think about 'what's next, what do I have to do now, who do I have to call'...etc etc. ie, I can be relaxed in one way (I know the job so I'm not tense and nervous) but not sufficiently for my mind to wander
I should have said when I did experience something at work, I was washing up lol, so not really mentally in ‘work’ mode. When one of the directors saw something he was alone in the building and getting ready to leave and go for a meal, just tidying himself in front of the mirror, so he’d discarded ‘work-mode’ as well.
Saying that, almost everyone who worked there (and the people next door, part of the same building) heard or saw things there but both were small firms not long got off the ground. Ours was friendly and though we worked hard and did lots of overtime it wasn’t the kind of job where you were full-on concentrating and couldn’t let your mind wander sometimes.

I'm the kind of person who regularly gets confused about which is left, and right; so imagine this twit being confronted by what may be a ghost...

Anyway, a couple of decades ago I worked nightshifts in a plastics factory. If you own a toothbrush that went bald in a matter of seconds, blame me. One night, I was alone at the rear of the factory, and saw a vague 'boy' emerge from the concrete/breeze block wall. Before long, it became like points of light, and slowly vanished. A curious thing is that when I rushed to tell the few other workers, even the ones who'd normally laugh uproariously at my everyday bonkersness developed goose pimples(!) Anyway, apparently other people had witnessed similar. My friend Jane and I went to the library to investigate the area's history; being clueless, a kind librarian helped us, and it turned out that there was only one suggestive thing about the specific site - it used to be a kind of communal swimming pool and, apparently, a boy had drowned there before it inevitably closed.

I'm well-used to my reactionary idiocy by now (and was even then), and so over the years I've decided that I was merely tired and therefore hallucinated or whatever. However, some things give me pause nonetheless:

* Both Jane and I apparently saw exactly the same thing, even down to the colour of the clothing.
* This may well be peripheral, but a couple of local industrial estates are pretty infamous among workers for hauntings. A few anecdotes known to me follow:

* At a different factory, workmen have refused to work or stay overnight after reporting noises such as shouting and hammering, and seeing contemporaneous sparks in darkness; that area was once a quarry. In Winter, my dad and his boss arrived to open up the factory and found the workmen had gone to sleep in their vans because they would no longer in the unit at night, despite it being much more prepared, warmer, and comfortable indoors.
* One worker (same factory) saw a 'devil' waiting for him in the corridor between machines; another saw a sinister man in the same 'alleyway'; it might be notable that both men were known to be cheating on their wives (guilty conscience triggering hallucinations perhaps?).
* Employees did not like to walk the 'scenic route - long grass etc - to the factory because of the scary feeling of being watched. This path led directly to the remains of the old quarry, and was a path used in those times by quarry workers.

There's more, but mostly minor and uninteresting poltergeist-type stuff. Despite all this 'evidence', I still doubt myself...simply because I know how bad nightshifts can be - you can feel zombiefied night and day.
Reminded me of a work colleague who claimed to see something similar on a hotel staircase that was allegedly haunted. Says he glanced up and saw torso-shaped, swirling and multi-coloured little "stars" that moved as if someone was crossing the landing and then passing through a locked door. Could have been a reflection and/or tiredness influenced by the knowledge that room "it" entered was supposedly haunted but it is intriguing when such accounts have similarities that are untypical of classic ghost sightings.

It started life as a bakery and was built, I believe, at the turn of the 18th century. It had all of the creaks, groans and drafts you'd expect from a building more than 300 years old, which probably added to the ambiance. While I didn't ever experience anything major, both myself and colleagues occasionally mentioned the feeling of someone being stood very near to the back of your chair, only to turn around to see nobody nearby.

Another (quite senior) member of the team claimed to see the outline of somebody stood in the corner of the reception area when she was leaving one night, but, frustratingly, didn't go into too much detail when she came to recount the story months later!

I now (well, in non-COVID times) work in a converted hospital, but have yet to experience anything spooky. Will keep you posted if I do!

Was at my work's annual conference last week and, in the bar after, talk turned to ghosts and the alleged 'hauntings' of the office.

One of our digital team is in the habit of working late and has said he's sometimes heard heavy footsteps on the floor above when he knows for certain he's the only person still at the office. The MD, a thoroughly down to earth man with no real interest in anything paranormal, said he saw a woman walk into the downstairs kitchen, only to find it completely empty when he entered several seconds later.

Was at my work's annual conference last week and, in the bar after, talk turned to ghosts and the alleged 'hauntings' of the office.

One of our digital team is in the habit of working late and has said he's sometimes heard heavy footsteps on the floor above when he knows for certain he's the only person still at the office. The MD, a thoroughly down to earth man with no real interest in anything paranormal, said he saw a woman walk into the downstairs kitchen, only to find it completely empty when he entered several seconds later.
Fantastic. :)
We all want to see things like that. :nods:

Reminds me of when a care home worker saw what looked like a servant girl walk behind a line of staff, me included, and step into a big kitchen larder.
I rushed straight in there - found nobody. :dunno:

Back