• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I'm sure this has been posted before but here's an interactive resource regarding known plague pits in London:

https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryMagazine/DestinationsUK/LondonPlaguePits/

That illustrates very graphically what a concentration of plague pits there are in London and how many must have been disturbed by tunnelling for the tube network.

plague.png

Near Lichfield - Roman soldiers seen crossing the carriageway in 2005. Near Golbourne - ghost of a Puritan. Around the Liverpool stretch, ghost of a white lady. And Keele Services.. ghost of a soldier.
Lichfield is about 10 miles from the M6. I wonder if it's at the new(er), closer, M6 Toll instead?

Lichfield is about 10 miles from the M6. I wonder if it's at the new(er), closer, M6 Toll instead?
Ruth's account in her book* provides a very specific location and I remember looking it up on Google maps after reading about it.

*can't remember which book right now

Ruth's account in her book* provides a very specific location and I remember looking it up on Google maps after reading about it.

*can't remember which book right now
Right. I was wondering whether if it was the Toll road, that the building of it had 'disturbed' something in some way.

Right. I was wondering whether if it was the Toll road, that the building of it had 'disturbed' something in some way.
IIRC, there were earthworks and a new gantry being built right by the spot it happened, but I will have to did it out later and check. It was a quite definite sighting and one that comes down to the credibility of the witness.

Last edited:
Crossrail aka The Elizabeth Line is due to open soon.
Over the last 12 years, this mammoth engineering and tunnelling project - one of the largest in Europe, has ploughed through Mesolithic sites, Roman ruins and at least one plague pit.
The line also has a hub connection at Farringdon - one of the oldest and allegedly most haunted of London's underground stations.
Back in 2018 a man on a LBC phone-in, after reporting his experience on the haunted M6 motorway, warned that disturbing all those human remains will likely result in hauntings along the new line.
So, watch this space for reports of ghostly activity in the new tunnels and trains.

View attachment 51822

View attachment 51821

https://www.express.co.uk/news/weird/1022085/Ghost-crossrail-m6-paranormal-expert-LBC-latest

https://www.crossrail.co.uk/news/ar...-unearthed-at-crossrail-liverpool-street-site

https://www.crossrail.co.uk/benefits/archaeology/
My eldest son will have absolutely nothing to do with the paranormal, occult etc. He finds it all uncomfortable and won’t watch a horror film or ghost programme on TV. But as he is a train driver on the Elizabeth Line, I sincerely hope that the spectres of the plague pits don’t appear in front of his cab as I reckon he would lose his marbles.

At last a reason why Terriss haunts a station that was built after his death. He’s looking for baked goods and getting really disappointed. Maybe he’s given up and haunting a Greggs instead.

‘Covent Garden Tube Station​

Covent Garden tube station was built as a part of the Piccadilly Line in 1907, as a part of the line opened by the Great Northern, Piccadilly and Brompton Railway. From the start there were rumours of something strange about the Piccadilly line ploughing through the sacred square: the local priest protested against the digging of the line because he believed that it would open up a gateway into hell.

Before the station was there, there were a run of shops that had been there since the early 19th Century. Longacre, the street on which the tube station stands, is a historical street stands: here the first bicycles were made in the workshops of Denis Johnson, the Oldhans Press printed the popular magazine John Bull and Sir Henry Irving met his wife, Lady Irving, while playing his first Shakespearean role. The shop blotted out by the tube station had once been a bakery, one of the finest in the area, which leads to the reason for its haunting…

William Terriss was an actor, a celebrity and a passionate proponent of charity. He was involved with the actor’s benevolent fund and met a terrible end elsewhere in Covent Garden. It is here, however, that he haunts: the site of the bakery that he visited almost every day during his life.

All the way through the 20th Century, since his death in 1897, the shade of a handsome man in a hat and cape has been seen walking through the walls of the Covent Garden tube station. Seen all the way through the 1960s and 70s the ghost was last seen in 1972.’

From here; https://www.spookyisles.com/covent-garden-haunted-ghosts/

At last a reason why Terriss haunts a station that was built after his death. He’s looking for baked goods and getting really disappointed. Maybe he’s given up and haunting a Greggs instead.

‘Covent Garden Tube Station​

Covent Garden tube station was built as a part of the Piccadilly Line in 1907, as a part of the line opened by the Great Northern, Piccadilly and Brompton Railway. From the start there were rumours of something strange about the Piccadilly line ploughing through the sacred square: the local priest protested against the digging of the line because he believed that it would open up a gateway into hell.

Before the station was there, there were a run of shops that had been there since the early 19th Century. Longacre, the street on which the tube station stands, is a historical street stands: here the first bicycles were made in the workshops of Denis Johnson, the Oldhans Press printed the popular magazine John Bull and Sir Henry Irving met his wife, Lady Irving, while playing his first Shakespearean role. The shop blotted out by the tube station had once been a bakery, one of the finest in the area, which leads to the reason for its haunting…

William Terriss was an actor, a celebrity and a passionate proponent of charity. He was involved with the actor’s benevolent fund and met a terrible end elsewhere in Covent Garden. It is here, however, that he haunts: the site of the bakery that he visited almost every day during his life.

All the way through the 20th Century, since his death in 1897, the shade of a handsome man in a hat and cape has been seen walking through the walls of the Covent Garden tube station. Seen all the way through the 1960s and 70s the ghost was last seen in 1972.’

From here; https://www.spookyisles.com/covent-garden-haunted-ghosts/
Interesting but not reported now for half a century, was there a change to the fabric of the area back in the 70's?

Interesting but not reported now for half a century, was there a change to the fabric of the area back in the 70's?
Covent Garden, since its demise in 1974 as one of Londons fruit & veg wholesale markets, is full of performing street artists in all sorts of costumes and make up, and attracts various weirdos colourful characters.
A spectre in period clothing could easily blag his way in that crowd unnoticed. If he stands still long enough folk will be dropping coins at his feet.

Covent Garden, since its demise in 1974 as one of Londons fruit & veg wholesale markets, is full of performing street artists in all sorts of costumes and make up, and attracts various weirdos colourful characters.
A spectre in period clothing could easily blag his way in that crowd unnoticed. If he stands still long enough folk will be dropping coins at his feet.

I was going to say that, given the history (being the site of the garden of the Abbey and Convent) its a wonder that it's about the only square acreage of the UK that isn't infested with long dead nuns. But then I got the inkling of an old memory: I think the actor Bob Hoskins related seeing a ghost nun when he worked as a porter at the fruit and veg market back in the day.

Massive change.

The fruit and veg market moved to Nine Elms in the mid 1970's because the streets of Covent Garden became too crowded, and delivery vans got stuck there for hours.

So much of the area then got renovated 1975 - 1985 ... the Royal Opera House alone had billboards round it for ages as extensive reconstruction work was done.

The old warehouses were turned into shops, restaurants, bars, flats etc.
(There were some people living there already, it wasn't a case of it being totally deserted.)

The London Transport Museum also moved to Covent Garden in 1980.

Photo of Neal's Yard mid-1970's

70.jpeg

Photo of Neal's Yard now

neal.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve got an odd memory of Covent Garden that doesn’t seem to add up. I remember an antique market in a large building that had high up domed windows. Which could be what’s now the transport museum. But the thing is I was only 3 in 1980. Maybe it’s just me misremembering.

Massive change.

The fruit and veg market moved to Nine Elms in the mid 1970's because the streets of Covent Garden became too crowded, and delivery vans got stuck there for hours.

So much of the area then got renovated 1975 - 1985 ... the Royal Opera House alone had billboards round it from ages as extensive reconstruction work was done.

The old warehouses were turned into shops, restaurants, bars, flats etc.
(There were some people living there already, it wasn't a case of it being totally deserted.)

The London Transport Museum also moved to Covent Garden in 1980.

Neal's Yard mid-1970's

View attachment 63313

Neal's Yard now

View attachment 63314
If anyone is interested, this was a really good programme about its history.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0d4s5dm
37622457-8626-462C-B78B-18BF39D8CAD9.jpeg

It was a premier hotspot for whores and drugs in the Georgian era so there should be all sorts of interesting spirits infesting the place.

I doubt its any coincidence that possibly one of the most famous copshops in the UK (and possibly much further afield) was situated in Covent Garden. Who's not heard of Bow Street?

I'd recommend the Bow Street Police Museum. Here's a wee review I put up a couple of years back (on the Things To Do In London thread):

...It’s a relatively small space, but nicely put together - and I suspect there may be a bit more to come (the audio – available in the ‘tank’ - hasn’t quite been sorted out yet, but you can download it and listen on a phone or tablet).

I read everything, watched the AV, downloaded and listened to the audio, and was in and out in just the other side of an hour.

It's a compact experience, but I found it a satisfying one; the space in itself – and without any of the added material - is, after all, a significant part of not just the cultural history of London, but of the country in general.

Space is clearly an issue (the museum’s footprint constitutes only part of one level of the original building) and it’s easy to comment when you don’t have to plan an experience like this - but my own preference would be to see a bit more AV and some more audio. Those two aspects are based on oral history from men and women who worked at Bow Street. I love this kind of stuff and there has to be a huge vein of experience, anecdote and lore associated with a place which is not just intrinsic to the history and culture of central London but which has been written into the broader narrative of so much of (not just) England’s legal and criminal history. (I doubt the words 'Bow Street' are without significance even in the other jurisdictions of the British Isles.) What’s there is interesting, but it kind of feels like there should be a bit more.

Oh – and it could do with a couple of spooky stories. Come on – Bow Street has to have more than a ghost or two clinging to its corners.

I suspect the relative compactness of the experience would make this a good visit for those who have easily distracted and bored kids or teenagers in tow. It would also be a very satisfying way of filling the kind of gap in your day which other museums and galleries are maybe too big a deal for (the Wellcome Collection is a good one for this, too).

Recommended.

I tried to find a fuller account of the Bob Hoskins encounter, but all such accounts are a bit vague. For what it's worth, the story is covered here.

Last edited:
Covent Garden was the setting for Hitchcock's Frenzy. This short section gives maybe a little bit of a feel of the area pre-redevelopment:

By virtue of a little bit of visual memory (I used to work a lot in the West End) combined with a quick wander around via street view, I can tell you that the property they enter towards the end of the section is Number 3 Henrietta Street. (Which is now probably valued at the combined income of everyone on this board multiplied by lots.)

Covent Garden was the setting for Hitchcock's Frenzy. This short section gives maybe a little bit of a feel of the area pre-redevelopment:

By virtue of a little bit of visual memory (I used to work a lot in the West End) combined with a quick wander around via street view, I can tell you that the property they enter towards the end of the section is Number 3 Henrietta Street. (Which is now probably valued at the combined income of everyone on this board multiplied by lots.)
Saw Frenzy on TV years ago, followed by a discussion of how it was made. Whoever declared themselves so amazed by the backward-downstairs-across the street-walking filming hadn't spotted Hitchcock's masterly passing coat cut. :chuckle:

I doubt its any coincidence that possibly one of the most famous copshops in the UK (and possibly much further afield) was situated in Covent Garden. Who's not heard of Bow Street?

I'd recommend the Bow Street Police Museum. Here's a wee review I put up a couple of years back (on the Things To Do In London thread):

It is not a coincidence, and for a fuller explanation I recommend City of Vice.

The relatively wealthy mid-18th century area attracted pickpockets who were based in the nearby St/ Giles Rookery.
So John Fielding set up a prototype police force to deal with this.

Disparagingly called The Bow Street Runners.

...Whoever declared themselves so amazed by the backward-downstairs-across the street-walking filming hadn't spotted Hitchcock's masterly passing coat cut. :chuckle:

I've never spotted that before. When you're aware of it, there's a visual clunk around the periphery of the shot - but you'd have a job to know it was at all there if you weren't actually looking for it. It's a great shot, though - for the fact that it only contains environmental detail, and absolutely no other information in regard to what's going on at that point, it's incredibly ominous and atmospheric.

Back