• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
The Crystal Palace Pneumatic railway is an UL based on a misunderstanding. There was a proposed railway based on this principal but the project was abandoned on the drawing board and no such trains were ever near (or under) Crystal Palace park.

Finally - the Ghosts on the London underground documentary.

And screen grabs of the electric chair 'ghost' and photo of waxwork of Bruno Hauptmann, the Lindbergh kidnapper...

bruno1.jpg

bruno2.jpg

Sorry for the low quality - can't find them on them there internets.

And this from a dissused tunnel (can't remember which)...

EDIT - the King Williams Street tunnel.

king1.jpg

king2.jpg

Ta for dat Fro, missed it when it was broadcast. Very enjoyable as I travel the Northern Line everyday! Not buying the electric zig zag flashes coming from the arms of the electric chair victim. Surely if a spirit can pull off a gig like appearing in an unrelated photograph, it'd be better at the electrifying bit than the obviously graphically designed version we're seeing.

Nor do I think it's all ultrasonic sound causing the stories. Great stories though and excellent that they're somewhere I can go visit on my way to work.

cheers again
mooks

For those of you with satellite, Ghosts on the Underground is being shown on the History Channel at 8pm on Wednesday 18th April.

That electric chair one has to be a poster. I mean... for one thing, why would the Lindberg kidnapper be haunting the London Underground?!

Frobush: YIKES! that's creepy...! For some reason, though, the yellowness of the tunnel makes it look a bit like someone's turned into a secret satanic Mass place. Which makes me wonder if it's a still from a film?

Just watched Ghosts on the Underground on the history channel. I thought it was very good, although it did try to cram a lot of stuff into an hour, it might have been better to have more detail and less content.

I watched the program last night too, the accounts of individuals who work on the London Underground were very interesting. However, would the 'electric chair' photo taken on London underground had to be a poster!

Present day Tussauds say they have no record of such an advertising campaign - though this is hardly a denial.

The waxwork of Bruno Hauptmann was on display at that time. Usually promotional stuff is handled by a third party, an ad agency in conjunction with a publisist, who would take care of a campaign and the placement of posters et al, so Tussauds might not be privvy to that information.

There are ads placed in the tube tunnels.

If we coud find out who handled Tussaud's PR at the time we might be able to put this to bed.

Oh, and once again, you can watch the doc here.

I've taken the liberty of enhancing your screengrab, Fro ;)

(click to enlarge)

I was interested in the Spectrum Analyser the chap was using in the film to record the infrasound.

I think this is the unit he was using

link

I've read about the subject of infrasound a bit and the work that Vic Tandy did in measuring sound at 19hz.

Has anyone ever experimented with this theory and used a Spectrum Analyser?

edited by TheQuixote: fixing link

I went to the SPR's annual conference last year. Someone in the audience mentioned the fact that there has been very little academic research done in relation to infrasound and ghosts.

london underground

Kazza34 said:
I went to the SPR's annual conference last year. Someone in the audience mentioned the fact that there has been very little academic research done in relation to infrasound and ghosts.
Yes thats the issue, lack of scientific evaluation of alledged ghosts, apparitions, spectres, noises, whats going on cctv. its all very interesting stuff, but where on earth are the scientists? Mr. Tandy's input ito this episode was certainly a good input, but there was a lot more going on than his scientific analysis could assess. What about hallucinations, ultrasound, infrasound, stress, and the rest. if science wants to take seriously the unreality of the paranormal, then it needs to get real and rule it out, that means take no prisoners.

What about Steve Parson's work of Parascience at Edinburgh and the Cammell Laird Shipyard in Birkenhead?

I had something stange happen to me back in the summer. I have a choice between central, circle or bakerloo to get to work, the quickest journey being southbound bakerloo to embankment and jump on the circle/district.

So i get off at embankment (2nd/3rd carriage) and go through a doorway, turn right, up a dozen steps and turn left up the single eescalator. So one morning I go through the doorway, right, up the steps turn left to go up the escalator but its not an escalator its a long thin passage.

naturally i think I have got off at the back of the train and gone through a different doorway so i go back down onto the platform and sure enough I chose the rignt one. By now everyone else has cleared and I go back up and I'm there for 20 seconds bewlidered, thinking i'm in a time slip or parallel universe.

Eventually I notice a bit of the wall thats boarded up, its the escalator, its being repaired, the long tunnel (which I have never noticed before) goes to the northern line and up to the circle.

I was very freaked out for a short while, and the underground is certainly the freakyest place to get freaked out. If there is a candidate for hauntings then the underground has to be no 1.

ChrisHBaker said:
I had something stange happen to me back in the summer. I have a choice between central, circle or bakerloo to get to work, the quickest journey being southbound bakerloo to embankment and jump on the circle/district.

So i get off at embankment (2nd/3rd carriage) and go through a doorway, turn right, up a dozen steps and turn left up the single eescalator. So one morning I go through the doorway, right, up the steps turn left to go up the escalator but its not an escalator its a long thin passage.

naturally i think I have got off at the back of the train and gone through a different doorway so i go back down onto the platform and sure enough I chose the rignt one. By now everyone else has cleared and I go back up and I'm there for 20 seconds bewlidered, thinking i'm in a time slip or parallel universe.

Eventually I notice a bit of the wall thats boarded up, its the escalator, its being repaired, the long tunnel (which I have never noticed before) goes to the northern line and up to the circle.

I was very freaked out for a short while, and the underground is certainly the freakyest place to get freaked out. If there is a candidate for hauntings then the underground has to be no 1.

That long tunnel you went down has some really cool ornate green and cream tiling in it and has a display of historical facts and photos in it at the moment.

Embankment station has a really weird layout.

That long tunnel you went down has some really cool ornate green and cream tiling in it and has a display of historical facts and photos in it at the moment.

Embankment station has a really weird layout.

There are many places on the london underground that fascinate me, some because they're creepy and feel haunted, some because they are quite unique architecture.

I love the dummy houses on leinster gardens, I've never seen anything like it.

Next time you're in Tottenham Court Road, after going though the barriers, instead of taking the escalators, turn left and take the stairs down. I find that particular route quite creepy, with loads of mysterious doors leading off and a strange water catchment system cobbled together on the wall with multiple drip trays and calcite formations where there's no doubt a fault or transition in the rock.

Anybody got any other suggestions of cool, creepy spots on the underground?

Thanks for the bump colin, it's interesting to read some of these...

Fats_Tuesday said:
Anybody got any other suggestions of cool, creepy spots on the underground?

i like between TCR and Holborn I think where you get a brief glimpse of the old British Museum station. You have to stare into the darkness just before Holborn and if you are lucky and the train slows then you can see the abandoned platform and even make out the words British Museum on the wall.

I used to work at Chancery Lane and always used to try and see it if I could, always kinda hoping to see a creepy figure stood on the platform.

I reckon that's Eastbound. Have tried to do this before but without success.
Damned Central line is only slow when I don't need it to be!

colinbaker32 said:
McAvennie

is that on the eastbound or westbound?

Yeh heading east. I used to get on at TCR and off at Chancery Lane so it is somewhere between there, I'm sure it is just about 30 seconds or so before arriving at Holborn.

Very hit and miss, sometimes you can see it if it is going slow enough, sometimes you can stare all you like and it doesn't seem to be there if the train is going too quick.

Something else I just read about yesterday that sounds quite interesting is the Greenwich Pedestrian Tunnel. I'd never heard of it but it looks quite creepy and worth a wander through if you are down that way ever.

I remember going through Greenwich pedestrian tunnel when I was a Sarf London schoolgirl aged between 8 and 11. It was on a school trip to the Cutty Sark (would have been mid to late 80's) and the entrance was just in front of it on the edge of the Thames. I remember it being damp, cold and miserable and quite concerned that the mighty Thames was a few feet above...
Is it still open and accessable? I haven't heard it mentioned for years and I live miles away from there now. Wouldn't mind seeing it through adult eyes now.

I was once going to work from Earls Court to Notting Hill. It was Winter and dark. The lights in the carriage had failed which was quite an odd experience in itself but more interesting was that the lights from the carriages in front and behind lit the underground and because our carriage was dark we could see everything really clearly. Somewhere between NHG ans High St Ken is a parking area where there's quite a few old carriages, some look ancient. I've heard they do walks of certain sections during off times, bet that would be interesting.

cheeky381 said:
I remember going through Greenwich pedestrian tunnel when I was a Sarf London schoolgirl aged between 8 and 11. It was on a school trip to the Cutty Sark (would have been mid to late 80's) and the entrance was just in front of it on the edge of the Thames. I remember it being damp, cold and miserable and quite concerned that the mighty Thames was a few feet above...
Is it still open and accessable? I haven't heard it mentioned for years and I live miles away from there now. Wouldn't mind seeing it through adult eyes now.

As far as I am aware it is open, although apparently the lift only works between daylight hours. Wouldn't fancy going through at night to be honest!

Back