• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Ghost of Covent Garden Underground Station

The famous ghost of the London Underground is that of actor William Terriss who was murdered outside the Adelphi Theatre in 1897. Some years ago his wandering shade spooked numerous employees in Covent Garden Underground Station - though what he's doing down there is anyone's guess (waiting to catch a ghost train?). Jack Hallam's 'Ghost of London' has a few more London Underground ghosts, I think, but I can't recall them off-hand - and today I've just learnt that Corinne Downes, wife of crypto-zoologist Jon Downes, is compiling a book on this very subject.

One can't help wonder whether Infrasound - low frequency sound that allegedly spooks people out - might be responsible for a great deal of the eeriness associated with the LU. Steve Parsons and Para.Science carried out a very useful study on this phenomenon in the subterranean tunnels of Mary King's Close in Edinburgh - they identified rumbling traffic and a big extractor fan were creating infrasound in that enclosed environment.

There is something very spooky about the LU's older stations that you don't get in the newer more modern concourses.

Being down there on an empty platform late at night isn't a particularly pleasant experience.

I've not been to london for a year, I hope I move back so I can see all these places again

Elephant and Castle ghost photo

A thousand years has past since I last started a thread, therefore I...have...returned. (cue endless 'who the hell is that? comments). Anyway, the title says it all; I've been reading some rather anecdotal accounts of ghosts at the Elephant and Castle tube station. What attracted my interest were reports of photos having been taken. Anyone know anything at all about this or seen a copy?

I had a look yesterday and couldn't find a photo, but did find this, which refers to one:-

Tube Traveller

Location: SE17 (Greater London) - Elephant and Castle Underground Station, Bakerloo line

Type: Haunting Manifestation

Date / Time: Woman seen late twentieth century, photograph taken in 1980s

Further Comments: Seen by both staff and commuters, this young woman enters the train's carriages, but is never seen leaving. Some also allocate the blame on the same entity when invisible footfalls create loud echoing around the station after hours.

http://www.paranormaldatabase.com/repor ... ground.php

Nice link, that's some creepy stuffL

Faceless Woman

Date / Time: 1992
Further Comments: A station employee working alone heard the door to his office rattle several times. Unnerved, the man began to climb upstairs to find a colleague but felt he was being watched. Turning around, he saw a woman standing there with long blond hair but no face - her features were completely smooth. Talking to his colleague a short time later, the employee discovered that he was not the only person to have seen her.

Reflection

Location: SE17 (Greater London) - Bakerloo line, Elephant & Castle and other stations along the line
Date / Time: Unknown
Further Comments: It is reported that occasionally, while travelling northbound, some passengers can see the reflection of someone sitting next to them, even though there is no one in the seat.

Now that kind of stuff really scares me! :shock:

It is reported that occasionally, while travelling northbound, some passengers can see the reflection of someone sitting next to them, even though there is no one in the seat.
Well at least you'd know it wasn't a vampire.

Boadicea's Grave

Location: NW1 (Greater London) - King's Cross Station, Platform 10
Type: Legend
Date / Time: Still present?
Further Comments: The final resting ground of the warrior queen is reported to be under this busy platform.

Surely they mean "Boudicca"? (Victoria) :?

Same person. Her name's been spelled a lot of different ways over the years, and William Cowper's poem made "Boadicea" the preferred spelling through most of the 19th century. Modern scholarship prefers "Boudica."

No. Really? I'm sure no one could've ever have known that.

Especially anyone interested in history, London history, Roman history, watching National Geographic documentaries by American companies on London history, Roman history, Celtic history (not to be confused with various American social groups basing themselves on Irish surnames) and anyone even vaguely media aware with interest in the pre-Roman history of England.

Of course, as a representative of "modern scholarship" you got the Iceni leader's name wrong on purpose - it being (in the Latinate) Boudicca.

Round here we just call her the pissed off bird who burned Colchester down.

In other news we have the Iceni project here in Ipswich to help people with drug addictions.

The Glasgow Underground (tube) has its own ghost legends as well. I've never been on it, but it certainly looks spooky in old pictures.

Cochise said:
The Glasgow Underground (tube) has its own ghost legends as well. I've never been on it, but it certainly looks spooky in old pictures.

Ghosts are the last thing you need to be scared of on there! :lol:

Tried looking, Rynner's very good at finding old threads...

There's a huge thread about London underground somewhere. It includes a timeslip story, a ghost in Balham, a link to the documentary about "Ghost of the London Underground" and my own story about the female ghost that haunts Kinning Park tube station in Glasgow. The oldest underground system in the country I believe!

Where's the old thread?

escargot1 said:
Next Tuesday, Halloween, 11pm, Ch 5: Ghosts Of The London Underground! :D

Some nice person has uploaded this 2006 documentary onto YouTube - you lucky people.

Here.

In 1978, a woman claimed to have found the tunnel and to have seen within it an old railway carriage filled with skeletons in Victorian outfits.
I remember reading about this years ago. Certainly a creepy enough image!

In case of interest, "ghosts on the underground" is now available on DVD in the UK. The original music (much of which was by the band Interpol) has been replaced with similar library music. I still find it an enjoyable watch and some of the footage (okay, the arty footage) of the empty stations and platforms is really well done.

Obligatory amazon link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ghosts-Underground-Paul-McGann/dp/B00G361MH0

NOTE: Amazon are now listing this as unavailable- which is odd as I got my copy last month (May 2015 at time of writing)

In case of interest, "ghosts on the underground" is now available on DVD in the UK. The original music (much of which was by the band Interpol) has been replaced with similar library music. I still find it an enjoyable watch and some of the footage (okay, the arty footage) of the empty stations and platforms is really well done.

Obligatory amazon link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ghosts-Underground-Paul-McGann/dp/B00G361MH0

NOTE: Amazon are now listing this as unavailable- which is odd as I got my copy last month (May 2015 at time of writing)

On a personal note, I do find I fast forward the stuff about the electric chair photo mentioned previously. I see it as a poster (the lightning bolts are far too stylised and dare I say "80s") and nothing else. As much as I enjoy the doc I do think that this takes up far too much of the brief running time.

Ok it was a poster but weren't they supposed to be in the tunnel? They don't put posters there, there's no point.

I was thinking about that. My current theory is -
  1. it was a reflection of a poster in the train caught by the bounce back of the flash in the window.
  2. Electricity themed poster in an area where guys would be working around very high voltage in the tunnel - might have been at one of the shelter alcoves in the tunnel. I remember a similar bleak-humoured notice from my student days that said "Do not look directly at laser with remaining eye"

1, Any tube train I've been in hasn't had room for a full size poster only they small ones by the roof.

2, I have never seen one of them and I would find it unlikely for anywhere like MT having something so strange. Surely nice and clear in a station. Also if it was deliberately put in a tunnel wouldn't they have lined it up with the window?

Hehehe

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 92
Back