Spooks On The Tube: Ghosts Of London Underground

Bororeturn1

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
the Poster on the underground was investigated......Tussauds stated it wasnt theres..........however that is what i thought the amount of Posters which go up yearly must be huge.............anyway that didnt spoil a great doc.

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
the Poster on the underground was investigated......Tussauds stated it wasnt theres..........however that is what i thought the amount of Posters which go up yearly must be huge.............anyway that didnt spoil a great doc.

A BBC article has this post....

I visited Madame Tussauds in the summer of 1989. It was packed. And it was amazing. The Chamber of Horrors with the electric chair was great as was the "conservatory" with Crocodile dundee. What was even more impressive though was Rock Circus. The show was astounding and the animatronics were spellbinding. I visited Rock Circus in 2000, 11 years later, and it's a pale shadow of its former glory. Terribly sad.
James Lewis, Wales

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/3577468.stm

If the waxwork was of a real victim of the Electric Chair, you'd understand why they'd want to downplay it now.

For example....the Bruno Hauptmann exhibit on view here....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6568561169

Notice the caption reads London Circa 1985. Which fits my timeline of being there exactly.

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
It's only reading this thread I remembered my weird underground story.

A few years back, my best mate worked at Westminster (researcher for an MP) and she invited me down to London for a few days touristing and just catching up with eachother. I went. It was 2005. (I forgot the year - just had to look it up!)

So I takes the train down from Leeds. Arrives Kings Cross. It's a Thursday, about 9 AM maybe a bit after. I'm going to head from there to Westminster to meet my friend. But when I try to go down to the tube, I watch all the people going down there and am just filled with this absolute dread. Bear in mind I used to constantly use the Underground and I love it. It never bothered me in the least. But this day, when I get to it and look I just feel this overwhelming fear and so I walk away and decide to walk the short distance to Euston Sq, then get on the Underground there. Can't to this day explain it. So instead of getting on at Kings X, I walked to Euston then got on there. And went on my way. Although still a bit scared I didn't get that sheer terror I felt at Kings X. And of course I get to the Houses of P, safe and sound. I still vividly remember looking at the people swarming down into the Underground and feeling unaccountably afraid.

A week later, to the day IIRC, 7/7. Maybe just a coincidence. I have never had that visceral fear about going on the Underground before or since.

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
That's an interesting tale. A foreboding, I wonder how we know these things.

David Plankton

I AM HIM.
Reaction score
A week later, to the day IIRC, 7/7. Maybe just a coincidence. I have never had that visceral fear about going on the Underground before or since.
You said this was around 9AM, that's the approximate time the bombings started a week later. I wonder if anyone was down there when you visited, plotting, planning.
I know that's pure supposition, just thought I'd put it out there.

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Reaction score
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6568561169

Notice the caption reads London Circa 1985. Which fits my timeline of being there exactly.
I can't see a good quality pic of the 'ghost poster' photo earlier back in the thread, though the colour of the guy's shirt in the waxwork pic does seem to match.

A couple of pages back the movie 'Shocker' gets referenced... while the 'elecric chair victim' in that had an orange jumpsuit, it's worth noting that there were multiple lower budget ripoffs of that movie, The Chair and Prison come to mind. Probably less likely to be promoted by a poster on the Underground though.

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
You said this was around 9AM, that's the approximate time the bombings started a week later. I wonder if anyone was down there when you visited, plotting, planning.
I know that's pure supposition, just thought I'd put it out there.
I think I saw on our local news that the bombers took what would have been an earlier train than I did, a week later, from Leeds. So the bombs would already have gone off before 9AM I think (presumably to catch the maximum # of commuters?) And I was there some time after 9 AM but not a long time after.

I can just remember vividly watching those people a week earlier streaming down into the Underground and thinking I just couldn't get on the Circle Line quite there. I felt safer at Euston Sq. And didn't have the same feeling at all, once there.

I had forgotten all about this until my friend contacted me recently saying we still can go down and stay in her boss's now empty flat in London, whenever we want. We did cross London that night to go to the theatre, and as I love the underground, asked my friend if we could go on it but she was very adamant she'd rather take the bus.

On the day of 7/7 we spent hours frantically trying to text her to check she was OK, but the communications were down for hours. I think it was about tea time when we finally got a text back from her to say she was fine and had been sent home from work, I think.

Belshazzar

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
I can't see a good quality pic of the 'ghost poster' photo earlier back in the thread, though the colour of the guy's shirt in the waxwork pic does seem to match.

A couple of pages back the movie 'Shocker' gets referenced... while the 'elecric chair victim' in that had an orange jumpsuit, it's worth noting that there were multiple lower budget ripoffs of that movie, The Chair and Prison come to mind. Probably less likely to be promoted by a poster on the Underground though.

There's absolutely no doubt that the "ghost" image is the waxwork of Bruno Hauptmann. They're identical bar the electric volts emanating from his hands.

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Ooh. Is that Gerald Harper?

Talking of the Underground, I remember when I first saw (a re-run of) 'Quatermass', as a kid. That scared the bejaybus out of me. I wonder for how long the Underground has had all this folklore surrounding it?

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
Screenshot from above:

Northern%20Line_zpsreqdak0b.jpg

Looks like the usual delays on the Northern Line. :p

Closer analysis shows a weird hand clutching at Gerald Harper's left nipple. This is clearly not the fainty girl's hand as that passes through his arm and into another photograph. The gentleman on the left is a time traveller late for an interview for the position of caretaker at Hogwarts in the future. Inspection of the skeletons reveals they have had knee jobs done on the cheap by a local builder who has merely put a screw through them. Whatever crime scene this is, there's a fisherman behind it as the skellingtons are tied to the ceiling with fishing line. There is a clue in the ad that a phone sanitiser may be involved too.

What is also remarkable is the lack of graffiti.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Sadly, "Ticket to Terror" is one of the lost Adam Adamant episodes, so we'll never get to see it.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
I'm sure there was something in FT about that, was in the grounds of Crystal Palace was it not?

Yeah, it might have been the issue with the funeral trains in London, I remember them thinking it was unsual that she saw this as obviously when they were transporting the dead, the used coffins rather than just seat them!!!

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Having travelled on the Paris Mėtro a few times (and getting a bit bored at work this afternoon) I tried Googling for ghosts on the Paris Mėtro to see if there was anything to compare with the creepiness of the London Tube.

Well, apart from a handful of "ghost" (i.e. no longer used) stations, there didn't seem to be much in the way of Fortean experiences to be had on the Mėtro.

The infamous Catacombs, on the other hand, have dozens of web sites devoted to supernatural goings on. Imagine getting lost in 200 miles of labyrinthine tunnels paved with human bones!

suburban wolf

Wolf in a Human Suit
Reaction score
About the steam whistle sound that people report hearing from the London Underground - and this might not exactly be news to the many London based commuters and frequent tube riders.

Although every one knows that the Underground trains are electric, a lesser know fact is that each train still has it's own whistle. I was watching a recent documentary about the tube where, in all honestly, I heard that whistle more often than I have in 4 years travelling on the tube.

So I surmise that when a 'ghostly' whistle is heard in the night, it could be one of the trains heading back to the depot letting some of the track workers know of it's approach. Could also be one of the repair and maintenance trains too...

Rosebud

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
"In 1978, a woman claimed to have found the tunnel and to have seen within it an old railway carriage filled with skeletons"

I used to live just a short distance from the entrance to the Paxton tunnel in the 1970's and all the local kids were aware of this legend. In those days the entrance was blocked by two heavy iron doors which were secured shut by a couple of paving slabs....needless to say, we soon moved them aside and got in.

It was a regular habit of ours to walk a short way in to the tunnel and sit around chatting, sometimes with a bottle of cider to *cough* refresh us. Some of the older (and braver) kids ventured further in but never came across any abandoned carriages, with or without skeletal passengers. Strangely enough, I still lived there at the time this woman claimed to have had this experience yet I don't recall hearing anything about it.

There is one odd thing though: There are a short row of houses, built in the 1960's, near the entrance and every single one of the original households lost a family member in tragic accidents.

Loquaciousness

The misuse of the word "fact" annoys me
Reaction score
Having travelled on the Paris Mėtro a few times (and getting a bit bored at work this afternoon) I tried Googling for ghosts on the Paris Mėtro to see if there was anything to compare with the creepiness of the London Tube.

Well, apart from a handful of "ghost" (i.e. no longer used) stations, there didn't seem to be much in the way of Fortean experiences to be had on the Mėtro.

The infamous Catacombs, on the other hand, have dozens of web sites devoted to supernatural goings on. Imagine getting lost in 200 miles of labyrinthine tunnels paved with human bones!

I LOVE the Catacombs - I have visited twice. As you can see my friend and I didn't see very many ghosts there over 20 years ago!
catcacombs.jpg

jeff544

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
About the steam whistle sound that people report hearing from the London Underground - and this might not exactly be news to the many London based commuters and frequent tube riders.

Although every one knows that the Underground trains are electric, a lesser know fact is that each train still has it's own whistle. I was watching a recent documentary about the tube where, in all honestly, I heard that whistle more often than I have in 4 years travelling on the tube.

So I surmise that when a 'ghostly' whistle is heard in the night, it could be one of the trains heading back to the depot letting some of the track workers know of it's approach. Could also be one of the repair and maintenance trains too...

You are right Ginjabadja, when I worked in London in the 1980's & 90's I used the underground a lot. To and from work and extensively during the day. The whistle was a regular feature. I guess it was powered from the compressed air system on board each train. I wonder if the newest trains still have them.
When I finished working in London full time in 1997 they were still running many mid 1950's trains on the Northern line with the grooved bare wooden floors. They had a smell all of their own. There was a conductor at the back of every Northern line train too! He or she opened and closed the doors from a little fenced off area at the front of the last carriage and signalled to the driver to leave the station. A bell used to ding in the driver's cab. The conductor used to keep their own door open so they could watch the platform as the train accelerated out of the station. I always fancied doing that.
I suddenly feel rather old at 53!
I only ever had one weird experience in all those years, at the Camden interchange, that I have written about here somewhere.

McAvennie

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

Paris in general really doesn't seem to go in for ghosts. We went on the only Ghost Tour there is advertised earlier this year and it was mostly just gruesome tales of murder rather than ghost sightings. For all the trauma that went on here during the Revolution, WWII and the late 60s you would think the place would be crawling with phantoms.

I pass a phantom stations on my regular commute on Line 10, Croix-Rouge, and usually always have a glance at the platform to see if I can see anything lurking in the shadows.

Here is some pictures and info about the abandoned stations. Surprised more haven't been shut down, there are some where you can literally stand on the platform and see the two stations either side along the tunnels.
http://street-culture.fr/2012/03/abandonned-metro-stations/

They sometimes do some cool stuff with the abandoned stations. They did this recently for promoting the film Prometheus.

There is one mystery on the Metro. Here is a summary which I have stolen from reddit rather than type out an overview myself.

On the evening of May 16th, 1937, Laetitia Toureaux headed for a bus stop after leaving a dance hall in a Parisian suburb. She cut a striking figure as she boarded- 29 years old, in a green suit, white hat, and gloves. Twenty four minutes later, she arrived at a metro station, the Porte de Charenton, and boarded the first-class car bound for central Paris. While the other cars were full, the first class carriage was empty. The train departed at 6:26PM, and 45 seconds later arrived at another station, the Porte Dorée. Six passengers entered the first class car and found Laeitita Toureaux, mudered, with a 9 inch dagger in her neck. No one had exited, no one else was in the car. So who killed her?

Within days of her murder, police had uncovered strange information about her life. She worked in a glue factory by day and frequented dance halls or bal musettes by night. Some viewed Laetitia as a naive, innocent victim, but most saw her as a heartless social climber, marrying her late husband without his family's knowledge or assent. In addition, though she was faithful to him during their marriage, after his death she had numerous affairs. She also, strangely, was known by some acquaintances as 'Yolande".

Interestingly, Laetitia was also a sometimes informant for a Parisian detective agency "Agence Rouff". Bal musettes were known to attract pimps, prostitutes, and drug dealers.

However, most beleived she had been killed by the French facist terrorist goup, Comité secret d'action révolutionnaire, also called La Cagoule. When the police raided La Cagoule on November 15th, 1937, several members claimed knowledge of Toureaux's murder, stating she had been an informer and had been identified.

"It appears that sometime in 1936, Laetitia, now known as “Yolande” and working for the police to infiltrate illegal, right-wing political groups, became the lover of Jeantet, the Cagoule’s arms smuggling expert. Jeantet ran a garage near Montmarte and commanded a fleet of cars he used to smuggle arms from Geneva to Paris. By the spring of 1937, the Cagoule began to suspect Toureaux of deceit and set a trap for her. News of an upcoming arms run was leaked to her, but when the car was stopped at the Swiss border, it was empty. The ruse cost Toureaux her life."

However, there has never been any arrest for her murder, and French police files on the case are sealed until 2038. Why was Laeititia killed, and by whom? If the police knew her killer, why was there no arrest? And how did a killer escape from a train car unnoticed?

Here is an excellent write up where I got most of my information.

Here is a Good Reads review on the book, Murder in the Metro by Gayle K. Brunelle and Annette Finley-Croswhite.

Here is the Wikiedia article on "Locked Room Mysteries", which has a small blurb about the murder. Nothing more than the article, just interesting that it's included.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Unresolved...o/the_impossible_murder_of_laetitia_toureaux/

G

GeorgeP

Paris in general really doesn't seem to go in for ghosts. We went on the only Ghost Tour there is advertised earlier this year and it was mostly just gruesome tales of murder rather than ghost sightings. For all the trauma that went on here during the Revolution, WWII and the late 60s you would think the place would be crawling with phantoms.

I pass a phantom stations on my regular commute on Line 10, Croix-Rouge, and usually always have a glance at the platform to see if I can see anything lurking in the shadows.

Here is some pictures and info about the abandoned stations. Surprised more haven't been shut down, there are some where you can literally stand on the platform and see the two stations either side along the tunnels.

They sometimes do some cool stuff with the abandoned stations. They did this recently for promoting the film Prometheus.

There is one mystery on the Metro. Here is a summary which I have stolen from reddit rather than type out an overview myself.

Some creepy looking locations there McAvennie which are also, in a strange way -cool.

As for the mysterious murder, its a shame Sherlock wasnt around :)

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

Could Paris's lack of ghosts be down to Frances mainly Catholic religion? I don't think Catholics are into ghosts other than the Holy one. Are there less reported sightings in Catholic countries?