• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
1, Any tube train I've been in hasn't had room for a full size poster only they small ones by the roof.

2, I have never seen one of them and I would find it unlikely for anywhere like MT having something so strange. Surely nice and clear in a station. Also if it was deliberately put in a tunnel wouldn't they have lined it up with the window?
My though was that one of the guys put up the posters as a joke for other sparkies / gangers in that area. Could be near one of the tea break areas for the overnight works. There is a bit of tradition of that sort of gag in any trade that involves dangerous manual work. As I said, I find the "lightning bolts" a bit too designed - in a sort of 80s neon airbrush way. Plus the programme does point out that the button, creases and so on in the shirt of the wax dummy exactly match that of the presumed ghost. That does suggest that the source was a photo/poster of the waxwork.

I watched this programme years ago & found it enjoyable, the best ghost docs i find are the ones which are very `matter of fact` & dont have spooky music or simulated footage to show `a ghost`.........all the stories are spooky in there own right & top marks to the production team for putting this together, really good how they put the two stories of the ghost moving from carriage to carriage in the `Loop` part of the underground, using 2 x underground workers telling the same story just about............however they had never met. Also the guy who told the story about walking from one station to another & seeing the guy with the lamp etc..........i worked briefly on a contract with London Underground in the 90s & id heard stories about fellas bumping into workers, who seemed to have old equipment, or surprised to see someone in an area they werent supposed to be in etc.............there should be more programmes like this.

...but no Derek.
I have seen the electric chair poster on the underground. I was in advertising at the time and picked apart all ads I saw on the way to work. You don't want to be coming up with an idea someone's already had. It was probably for Tussauds or some similar tourist attraction. It would have been posted on the wall opposite the platform and visible through a carriage.

the Poster on the underground was investigated......Tussauds stated it wasnt theres..........however that is what i thought the amount of Posters which go up yearly must be huge.............anyway that didnt spoil a great doc.

the Poster on the underground was investigated......Tussauds stated it wasnt theres..........however that is what i thought the amount of Posters which go up yearly must be huge.............anyway that didnt spoil a great doc.

A BBC article has this post....

I visited Madame Tussauds in the summer of 1989. It was packed. And it was amazing. The Chamber of Horrors with the electric chair was great as was the "conservatory" with Crocodile dundee. What was even more impressive though was Rock Circus. The show was astounding and the animatronics were spellbinding. I visited Rock Circus in 2000, 11 years later, and it's a pale shadow of its former glory. Terribly sad.
James Lewis, Wales

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/3577468.stm

If the waxwork was of a real victim of the Electric Chair, you'd understand why they'd want to downplay it now.

For example....the Bruno Hauptmann exhibit on view here....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/72781093@N07/6568561169

Notice the caption reads London Circa 1985. Which fits my timeline of being there exactly.

It's only reading this thread I remembered my weird underground story.

A few years back, my best mate worked at Westminster (researcher for an MP) and she invited me down to London for a few days touristing and just catching up with eachother. I went. It was 2005. (I forgot the year - just had to look it up!)

So I takes the train down from Leeds. Arrives Kings Cross. It's a Thursday, about 9 AM maybe a bit after. I'm going to head from there to Westminster to meet my friend. But when I try to go down to the tube, I watch all the people going down there and am just filled with this absolute dread. Bear in mind I used to constantly use the Underground and I love it. It never bothered me in the least. But this day, when I get to it and look I just feel this overwhelming fear and so I walk away and decide to walk the short distance to Euston Sq, then get on the Underground there. Can't to this day explain it. So instead of getting on at Kings X, I walked to Euston then got on there. And went on my way. Although still a bit scared I didn't get that sheer terror I felt at Kings X. And of course I get to the Houses of P, safe and sound. I still vividly remember looking at the people swarming down into the Underground and feeling unaccountably afraid.

A week later, to the day IIRC, 7/7. Maybe just a coincidence. I have never had that visceral fear about going on the Underground before or since.

That's an interesting tale. A foreboding, I wonder how we know these things.

A week later, to the day IIRC, 7/7. Maybe just a coincidence. I have never had that visceral fear about going on the Underground before or since.
You said this was around 9AM, that's the approximate time the bombings started a week later. I wonder if anyone was down there when you visited, plotting, planning.
I know that's pure supposition, just thought I'd put it out there.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/72781093@N07/6568561169

Notice the caption reads London Circa 1985. Which fits my timeline of being there exactly.
I can't see a good quality pic of the 'ghost poster' photo earlier back in the thread, though the colour of the guy's shirt in the waxwork pic does seem to match.

A couple of pages back the movie 'Shocker' gets referenced... while the 'elecric chair victim' in that had an orange jumpsuit, it's worth noting that there were multiple lower budget ripoffs of that movie, The Chair and Prison come to mind. Probably less likely to be promoted by a poster on the Underground though.

You said this was around 9AM, that's the approximate time the bombings started a week later. I wonder if anyone was down there when you visited, plotting, planning.
I know that's pure supposition, just thought I'd put it out there.
I think I saw on our local news that the bombers took what would have been an earlier train than I did, a week later, from Leeds. So the bombs would already have gone off before 9AM I think (presumably to catch the maximum # of commuters?) And I was there some time after 9 AM but not a long time after.

I can just remember vividly watching those people a week earlier streaming down into the Underground and thinking I just couldn't get on the Circle Line quite there. I felt safer at Euston Sq. And didn't have the same feeling at all, once there.

I had forgotten all about this until my friend contacted me recently saying we still can go down and stay in her boss's now empty flat in London, whenever we want. We did cross London that night to go to the theatre, and as I love the underground, asked my friend if we could go on it but she was very adamant she'd rather take the bus.

On the day of 7/7 we spent hours frantically trying to text her to check she was OK, but the communications were down for hours. I think it was about tea time when we finally got a text back from her to say she was fine and had been sent home from work, I think.

I can't see a good quality pic of the 'ghost poster' photo earlier back in the thread, though the colour of the guy's shirt in the waxwork pic does seem to match.

A couple of pages back the movie 'Shocker' gets referenced... while the 'elecric chair victim' in that had an orange jumpsuit, it's worth noting that there were multiple lower budget ripoffs of that movie, The Chair and Prison come to mind. Probably less likely to be promoted by a poster on the Underground though.

There's absolutely no doubt that the "ghost" image is the waxwork of Bruno Hauptmann. They're identical bar the electric volts emanating from his hands.

Ooh. Is that Gerald Harper?

Talking of the Underground, I remember when I first saw (a re-run of) 'Quatermass', as a kid. That scared the bejaybus out of me. I wonder for how long the Underground has had all this folklore surrounding it?

Screenshot from above:

Northern%20Line_zpsreqdak0b.jpg

Looks like the usual delays on the Northern Line. :p

Closer analysis shows a weird hand clutching at Gerald Harper's left nipple. This is clearly not the fainty girl's hand as that passes through his arm and into another photograph. The gentleman on the left is a time traveller late for an interview for the position of caretaker at Hogwarts in the future. Inspection of the skeletons reveals they have had knee jobs done on the cheap by a local builder who has merely put a screw through them. Whatever crime scene this is, there's a fisherman behind it as the skellingtons are tied to the ceiling with fishing line. There is a clue in the ad that a phone sanitiser may be involved too.

What is also remarkable is the lack of graffiti.

Sadly, "Ticket to Terror" is one of the lost Adam Adamant episodes, so we'll never get to see it.

I'm sure there was something in FT about that, was in the grounds of Crystal Palace was it not?

Yeah, it might have been the issue with the funeral trains in London, I remember them thinking it was unsual that she saw this as obviously when they were transporting the dead, the used coffins rather than just seat them!!!

Having travelled on the Paris Mėtro a few times (and getting a bit bored at work this afternoon) I tried Googling for ghosts on the Paris Mėtro to see if there was anything to compare with the creepiness of the London Tube.

Well, apart from a handful of "ghost" (i.e. no longer used) stations, there didn't seem to be much in the way of Fortean experiences to be had on the Mėtro.

The infamous Catacombs, on the other hand, have dozens of web sites devoted to supernatural goings on. Imagine getting lost in 200 miles of labyrinthine tunnels paved with human bones!

About the steam whistle sound that people report hearing from the London Underground - and this might not exactly be news to the many London based commuters and frequent tube riders.

Although every one knows that the Underground trains are electric, a lesser know fact is that each train still has it's own whistle. I was watching a recent documentary about the tube where, in all honestly, I heard that whistle more often than I have in 4 years travelling on the tube.

So I surmise that when a 'ghostly' whistle is heard in the night, it could be one of the trains heading back to the depot letting some of the track workers know of it's approach. Could also be one of the repair and maintenance trains too...

"In 1978, a woman claimed to have found the tunnel and to have seen within it an old railway carriage filled with skeletons"

I used to live just a short distance from the entrance to the Paxton tunnel in the 1970's and all the local kids were aware of this legend. In those days the entrance was blocked by two heavy iron doors which were secured shut by a couple of paving slabs....needless to say, we soon moved them aside and got in.

It was a regular habit of ours to walk a short way in to the tunnel and sit around chatting, sometimes with a bottle of cider to *cough* refresh us. Some of the older (and braver) kids ventured further in but never came across any abandoned carriages, with or without skeletal passengers. Strangely enough, I still lived there at the time this woman claimed to have had this experience yet I don't recall hearing anything about it.

There is one odd thing though: There are a short row of houses, built in the 1960's, near the entrance and every single one of the original households lost a family member in tragic accidents.

Having travelled on the Paris Mėtro a few times (and getting a bit bored at work this afternoon) I tried Googling for ghosts on the Paris Mėtro to see if there was anything to compare with the creepiness of the London Tube.

Well, apart from a handful of "ghost" (i.e. no longer used) stations, there didn't seem to be much in the way of Fortean experiences to be had on the Mėtro.

The infamous Catacombs, on the other hand, have dozens of web sites devoted to supernatural goings on. Imagine getting lost in 200 miles of labyrinthine tunnels paved with human bones!

I LOVE the Catacombs - I have visited twice. As you can see my friend and I didn't see very many ghosts there over 20 years ago!
catcacombs.jpg

About the steam whistle sound that people report hearing from the London Underground - and this might not exactly be news to the many London based commuters and frequent tube riders.

Although every one knows that the Underground trains are electric, a lesser know fact is that each train still has it's own whistle. I was watching a recent documentary about the tube where, in all honestly, I heard that whistle more often than I have in 4 years travelling on the tube.

So I surmise that when a 'ghostly' whistle is heard in the night, it could be one of the trains heading back to the depot letting some of the track workers know of it's approach. Could also be one of the repair and maintenance trains too...

You are right Ginjabadja, when I worked in London in the 1980's & 90's I used the underground a lot. To and from work and extensively during the day. The whistle was a regular feature. I guess it was powered from the compressed air system on board each train. I wonder if the newest trains still have them.
When I finished working in London full time in 1997 they were still running many mid 1950's trains on the Northern line with the grooved bare wooden floors. They had a smell all of their own. There was a conductor at the back of every Northern line train too! He or she opened and closed the doors from a little fenced off area at the front of the last carriage and signalled to the driver to leave the station. A bell used to ding in the driver's cab. The conductor used to keep their own door open so they could watch the platform as the train accelerated out of the station. I always fancied doing that.
I suddenly feel rather old at 53!
I only ever had one weird experience in all those years, at the Camden interchange, that I have written about here somewhere.

Back