• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

staticgirl

Abominable Snowman
Channel 5 is making a documentary about ghosts on the tube (www.underlondonunderground.co.uk) and are trying to find people who've had weird experiences there.

A few years ago, my ex boyfriend nearly fainted in Kings Cross. He said he could hear people screaming and a strange noise. It turns out that he was standing near the spot where many people died in the Kings Cross fire. He didn't make this connection for a few years.

Now he's totally weirded out by this but I wonder if he just had a memory buried deep in his mind from the time of the fire. He's always had an interest in the Fortean and is highly imaginitive. I think I remember reading somewhere that people with good imaginations are more prone to supernatural experiences.

On the other hand, maybe he really did pick up on something...? The trauma suffered by the victims and those who tried to rescue them would have been immense.

Have you ever experienced any high strangeness on the underground?

An ex-girlfriend of mine said precisely the same thing. She refused to use Kings Cross underground, to the point where if we were in London we had to bypass it by bus or on foot.

So hearing that someone else had the same issue creeps me out a little.

Because Kings X weirded her out, or because she had weird experiences there?

It may be the sounds are real but there is a more rational explanation for them. It would be easy for sounds to travel through tunnels and echo as there is nothing to absorb the sound.

I once saw a program where they interviewed people who's job it is to put up the posters in stations at night when the tube is closed and they claim to have seen ghosts.

I wonder too if subsonic vibrations can be putting people ill at ease. Perhaps there's something about the architecture of that particular station that "amplifies" the effect.

I mean, giant metal trains zooming around in tunnels are gonna produce some very low sounds, which are known to set people off.

Or, there may be spooks down there. Or both.

My Woooman had a wiered one two, on a school trip (shes a teacher) they needed to use the underground (ill find out which later). While there they were herded too one end of the platform by a bloke in yellow whome was calling and beckoning them to come towards him. Now people "Appeared" to be following his instructions but when they were about 20feet away she looked around to make sure the pupils were with here (they were) looked back and there was no man there at all. I said to her perhaps he went into the trackes to some kind of service area unseen, but then one of the students asked why she had taken them to the opposit end of the platform to where the train stopped, after she explained the student claimed to of heared and seen nothing.
Weired or what.

Could be many things but must seem really spooky at the moment you experience it

I def. remember reading a story (I'm sure it was on here) a few years ago written by a man who worked for the London Underground. He claimed he was shoved hard from behind on an esculator in Kings X by a ghost in the middle of the night when he was doing his nightly rounds - the station was closed so there was no one else around.
He also had a story (I can't remember if it was the same night or another one) about the ticket gates flicking open and closed by themselves.

My hubby works for LU - I will ask him if he has any spooky tales.

I know he gets freaked out when working nights, empty station and all, can't help thinking about the american werewolf in London film.

For years I've avoided Kings X whenever possible because about 2 years after disaster I passed through it with my girlfriend and I also heard screaming and loud ringing in my head, particularly on the escalators. You could still see the black burn marks on the walls under the fresh paint. I mentioned it to my mum and she put it down to an over-active imagination, but having read this thread I now wonder... :shock:

iv bin to Kings Cross underground i had a feeling of wonting to get out and a smokey smell the same thing happed to some one i no. Or was my mid playing tricks on me.

A few years ago, my ex boyfriend nearly fainted in Kings Cross

This is me, I'm Staticgirls X, she just emailed me this discussion. And thought I'd add my part as she hasn't incuded fully what happend, probrably because it happened a long time ago and doesn't remember much of it. But the experience is still very fresh in my mind, and more detailed than mentioned.

We had got off the train and taken one of the tunnels and where in good spirits(no pun intended). Within minutes of entering the tunnel my head began to swim, kinda disorientated I clearly heard screams of many people to the point that I felt panicked. I saw horrid images of burnt people running in directions, an image a youngish woman standing and screaming will never leave me, when I think back to the time.

I don't know if what I saw was a projection of my imagination brought on by the sound of screaming, It only lasted a matter on minutes but felt like it just went on and I did'nt really get my sences back until we where nearly out of the station. By which point my X had become aware of my confusion and disturbed mood.

I couldn't bring myself to tell her everything that had happened and espesially couldn't tell her what I had seen. It was a good few months later before I recounted to someone everyhing. The memory is always there though over time it has faded.

What did become significant was the next day on the news they where anouncing the 3rd anaversary of the fire, which happened to be the day we where there.

I continued to use Kings X if I had to, but would do my best to avoid using it and many a time walked the distance to Euston.

I feel I should point out I don't proclaim to be a Medium or a Psychic parsay, but through my early life up to my mid 20's riddled with strange occurances, from a stranger greeting me and calling me Dr.(which i'm not) and promtly vanishing before me. To seeing A TV NewsFlash of the Berlin Wall being brought down two months before the event happend and then watching the real newsflash when the news broke.

As I said I don't proclaime to be Psychic or anything as I feel theres a much deeper understanding to be looked at and explored as to whats being experienced. I've necer come to any solid conclusions on my experiences there for I just except them as best as I can. The Kings X experience was the worst I've ever experienced, and hope never to experience anything of that nature again.

I hope this fills in the missing parts of StaticGirls post, and now that i've got a log in. Maybe I should post my other experiences, and see what you all make of them.

All the best Thanks S

Thank you, panstar, and welcome.

We would be glad to read any of your other experiences.

When people mention the Kings Cross fire i can't help thinking about that poor guy who i don't think was formally identified untill last year.

Thanks S (Panstar)!

I forgot about all the other stuff! I'm infamous for having a bad memory though. :) I'm about a psychic as a plank of wood but panstar is really sensitive to weirdness.

To Chris Baker your rational explanation is a load of bull some things can not be explained im sorry i may a bit seem rude.

megadeth said:
To Chris Baker your rational explanation is a load of bull some things can not be explained im sorry i may a bit seem rude.

Maybe the screams were a mugging in progress, not unlikely on the underground.

The tube must be the safest part of London. I'm sure robberies do occur, but they are very rare.

megadeth said:
It's not only rude but ignorant and complacent. Spell checkers come in handy too. Apologies to anyone with writing/reading difficulties.

Robberies on the underground aren't as rare as you think. A lot of them go unnoticed. I had someone tugging on my backpack there on the King's Cross and I'm not a little bloke!

I think bethnal green mile end and whitechapel tube stations are haunted.

I think bethnal green mile end and whitechapel tube stations are haunted.

Would you care to share why you think that? Bethnal Green tube was the scene of a disaster in 1943. 173 people were crushed to death (in 90 seconds) during a panic to get into the undergound during a supposed air raid (it was, in fact, the local anti-aircraft gunners testing their new guns). There's a plaque above the entrance nearest the library.

Mile End's eastbound Central Line platform is one of the worst spots for suicides... in fact, on the end of the platform next to the tunnel there's a phone line to the Samaritans :(

The underground in general is quite a depressing and stressful place to be. It's like being in a cave with millions of enemy tribes! (That's how I'd explain it evolutionary wise anyway! lol)

To zygmunt im only going buy what i'v read what do you wont me to do hang about bethnal green mile end whitechapel tube stations just to find out if thay are haunted or not.

To zygmunt im only going buy what i'v read what do you wont me to do hang about bethnal green mile end whitechapel tube stations just to find out if thay are haunted or not.

er, no... I'd just like you to let us know what you've read. That's kind of how this message board works.

This is all i can rebmber a man working at bethnal green tube hears screams. i will do a google to find out.

loL! My thoughts excactly! That was quite hostile and grammatically tethered to a whisp of hair wasn't it! lol

I go through Kings Cross quite often and have never experienced anything weird :( To be honest , nothing on the underground has felt weird or ghostly.

Shame really, I love the underground, all those tunnels leading off somewhere, abandoned stations (Is it Aldwych they use for video shoots etc?), gives you a sense of exploration.

Back