"Spotted In..."

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
I'm sure we all have a local group of some sort on facebook/twitter/instagram etc etc.
They're usually titled something like "Spotted in xxxxxx".
I've found that my local 'Spotted in WGC' is a hotbed of material suitable for 'further discussion' mainly due to awful typos and/or mis-interpretation of otherwise banal things.
Evidently, we know that 'Cromer' is so full of them it has a thread of it's own, but what about your locality?
As such, to kick the topic off I give you this.
Hmmmm....'anomalously'......
1607623274235.png

Trevp666

Reaction score
Just found this gem.

Anon: Why do so many of you joggers think the world evolves around your stupid jogs? KEEP YOUR DISTANCE FROM PEOPLE. STOP RUNNING PAST PEOPLE SO CLOSE WHILE EXHALING LIKE PIGS!! You do not know how vulnerable someone is that you’ve just past. They never keep a safe bloody distance
will start sticking my foot out!
"...the world evolves...."

Last edited by a moderator:

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
Reaction score
Having-a-nice-cup-of-tea-and-a-sit-down-shire
Our local village crossroads traffic lights had their own FB page. I'd like to be able to say their opinions changed every 42 seconds, but... :)

ChasFink

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Just found this gem.
Anon: Why do so many of you joggers think the world evolves around your stupid jogs? KEEP YOUR DISTANCE FROM PEOPLE. STOP RUNNING PAST PEOPLE SO CLOSE WHILE EXHALING LIKE PIGS!! You do not know how vulnerable someone is that you’ve just past. They never keep a safe bloody distance will start sticking my foot out!
"...the world evolves...."
To be fair, it does convey the poster's thought. The joggers will kill off the weak who can't survive their breath, and the stronger survive. That's evolution.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
To be fair, it does convey the poster's thought. The joggers will kill off the weak who can't survive their breath, and the stronger survive. That's evolution.
Reminds me of this:-
James F. Fixx, who spurred the jogging craze with his best-selling books about running and preached the gospel that active people live longer, died of a heart attack Friday while on a solitary jog in Vermont. He was 52 years old.22 Jul 1984

Now thats irony :hahazebs:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Reminds me of this:-
James F. Fixx, who spurred the jogging craze with his best-selling books about running and preached the gospel that active people live longer, died of a heart attack Friday while on a solitary jog in Vermont. He was 52 years old.22 Jul 1984

Now thats irony :hahazebs:
Not at all. Fixx had a genetic predisposition to heart problems (his own father died at 43 of a heart attack) and had been obese and a heavy smoker until he took up running. He'd have died much sooner if he hadn't made the effort to get fit.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Not at all. Fixx had a genetic predisposition to heart problems (his own father died at 43 of a heart attack) and had been obese and a heavy smoker until he took up running. He'd have died much sooner if he hadn't made the effort to get fit.
(Sad that it is) That does not exclude the irony of someone peddling jogging as a way to live longer dying whilst jogging

ChasFink

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
And then there's health publisher and proponent of organic foods J. I. Rodale, who died of a heart attack during a taping of The Dick Cavett Show, having just mentioned how healthy he was and that he planned to live to 100. (He was 72.)

And comedian Dick Shawn, who suffered a fatal heart attack on stage. There was a delay in getting him help because it was assumed his collapse was part of his zany improvisation.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
And comedian Dick Shawn, who suffered a fatal heart attack on stage. There was a delay in getting him help because it was assumed his collapse was part of his zany improvisation.
Same happened with Tommy Cooper.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I remember watching that on telly, when it happened. Don't think I really understood what was going on, but it's something I've never forgotten.

I just have this memory of him lying there and the stage curtains.
It's on YouTube. He seems to pretend to faint or fall asleep as if he is improvising. He even snores. It does look natural.

ChasFink

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I didn't know about Tommy Cooper. On live TV is the worst of all three! Rodale's death was taped, but never aired, and Shawn was in a small University campus theater.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Cooper's friends believed his death was probably how he'd have wanted it, with the sound of audience laughter ringing in his ears...

He was 63, barely older than I am now. A lifetime of heavy drinking will do that.
At one point, demonstrating a guillotine trick on TV, he is supposed to have drunkenly forgotten to set a safety catch. Only a floor manager's close attention and quick intervention saved the host from public decapitation.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I recall it too. Showing my age.

And like many I think it is how he would have wanted to go.

Ogdred Weary

Very Naughty Boy
Reaction score
Cooper's friends believed his death was probably how he'd have wanted it, with the sound of audience laughter ringing in his ears...

He was 63, barely older than I am now. A lifetime of heavy drinking will do that.
At one point, demonstrating a guillotine trick on TV, he is supposed to have drunkenly forgotten to set a safety catch. Only a floor manager's close attention and quick intervention saved the host from public decapitation.
That would be a pretty spectacular exit though.

Trevp666

Reaction score
It's taken on a life of it's own!

Mikefule

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
By way of contrast, country singer Hank Williams died in the back of the car on the way to a performance. Rigor mortis had already set in before his travelling companions noticed.

Hank had been increasingly unreliable for some time due to his drinking and no doubt many excuses had been used to explain away late appearances and no-shows.

At the gig, there was an announcement that Hank Williams had died on his way to the show and the crowd burst into laughter assuming it was a joke about him making yet another excuse.

It was only when the band began to play I Saw the Light as a tribute that the crowd realised it was true, and they joined in.

Ironically, his first posthumous hit was I'll Never Get Out of This World Alive.

And on the subject of apposite titles of first posthumous hits: Buddy Holly's was It Doesn't Matter Anymore.