• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Spy Camera

Brig, please accept my condolences. It's not a small thing to happen :grouphug:

I actually found the box my camera came in. its called a Video Patrol Security Camera. Its Infrared sensor, a 2G memory card. Can shoot up to 25000 shots or records up to 75 minutes. It's made in China for Jobel International in Carson California. It uses 4 AA Alkaline batters and it has a single folded sheet of instructions much of I don't understand. At the moment I am sick at heart because I suddenly and unexpectedly lost my eldest (12) dog. We were taking him and his 9 year old companion for a Sunday drive in the country and he simply dropped dead. Any of you who have dogs will release they become family. I am heartsick and my wife is really going bonkers. It must have been his heart. The Vet said he had a heart murmur. Sorry to lay my misery on you people but it helps a bit to talk about it.

My condolences. Dogs really do become part of the family.

Yes they do. And their lives are too short. Thank-You

I'm so very sorry to hear of your loss. My condolences to both of you.

I sat the spy camera up aimed at the green rocker that my elder dog thought was his. I really do not know what activates this camera but it came up with 332 pictures of an empty green rocking chair. If I could figure out what sets this camera off I could save myself time and chip space. 332 pictures of a green rocker isn't exactly exciting, Strangely though the last alkaline batters went 2000 shots. This fresh load of alkaline batteries only lasted 332 shots before registering low battery. This rocking chair is located in a corner of the Library and can be approached only from the front. Yet something activated 332 times. I should also mention the camera was aimed to the front of the chair. No place behind it for any type of movement. Besides, here again, it seems some sort of figure or blur would result to activate the camera. I guess I'm just not savvy enough about these cameras.

Before it is too late I'd like to wish you all A Very Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Seasons Greetings! And many thanks for all of your help these past months.

Before it is too late I'd like to wish you all A Very Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Seasons Greetings! And many thanks for all of your help these past months.

Thanks Brig - seasons greetings to you and yours.

You are certainly right about all batteries not being equal. The set that gave me 2000 shots were 9 lives made in the USA. The other set that pooped out at a little over 300 were made in China. Both sets were alkaline. As for why the camera takes so many empty pictures. This time it was set on a wicker chair about or slightly right of the center of the room aimed at a high backed, green, padded platform rocker. The dog I lost used that chair almost exclusively unless he was playing, going out, or upstairs to bed. Yeah I know its silly to try to catch an animals spirit; but I haven't, recently, had much luck in other places. The only window near the camera is totally blocked by the high back on the chair. Because of the location of the two windows in this room, the sun very rarely shines in. The windows are very tall (6 ft) and vey narrow (about 18 inches); Romanesque style. Large out door evergreens also play hob with the light. In fact I am having a tough time setting this camera anywhere there is sufficient light. I'll probably return it to the front stairs and/or short downstairs hall.

I haven't reset the spy camera yet. I guess my heart just isn't in it right now. The house has been as quiet as a tomb for the past 5 or six weeks. This is, in itself, highly unusual. The first unusual noise that I have experienced since mid-December was two nights ago. My little black schnauzer and I were in the downstairs, in the library wih the computer. My wife had gone upstairs to lay down a bit. The only sounds we heard were me typing and an occasional squeak if the office chair I have at the computer. I heard footsteps go across the kitchen floor and come into the downstairs hallway and suddenly stop at the foot of the rear stairs. I knew it wasn't my wife because she no longer moves that fast. The footsteps sounded like leather shoes on a hardwood floor. We have carpet in the kitchen. Experience has told me that no one would be there. But it was the first such sounds I'ved heard in quite a while.

New to this thread, but I'd like to say it's truly interesting. Really interesting.

I certainly hope that you do reset your camera, what you've captured so far seems very unusual.

Again, sorry to read about your dog, I know how you feel.

New to this thread, but I'd like to say it's truly interesting. Really interesting.

I certainly hope that you do reset your camera, what you've captured so far seems very unusual.

Again, sorry to read about your dog, I know how you feel.

Yeah Brig we are still struggling with the loss of one of our cats a few months back horrible times. Forgotten about this thread good to revisit it.

Thank you.. Loss of a long time companion pet is like losing a member of the family. A lot of people think that's crazy; but a lot of people do not get close with their pets. My spy camera problems stem from this house. The place is rather dark; even on sunny days. The picture on the stairs was taken while the entryway light was on. When I don't use that light, I get a lot of shots that are too dark to see. Something sets off the camera, but there's not enough light. I plan to use the camera in the parlor again. The stairs would be better because we have more activity there but all I'm getting is black or almost black shots. I suppose I could leave the entrance light on and see what develops.

Thank you.. Loss of a long time companion pet is like losing a member of the family. A lot of people think that's crazy; but a lot of people do not get close with their pets. My spy camera problems stem from this house. The place is rather dark; even on sunny days. The picture on the stairs was taken while the entryway light was on. When I don't use that light, I get a lot of shots that are too dark to see. Something sets off the camera, but there's not enough light. I plan to use the camera in the parlor again. The stairs would be better because we have more activity there but all I'm getting is black or almost black shots. I suppose I could leave the entrance light on and see what develops.

Is it worth just setting up some extra lighting? You are going to all this trouble with the camera which I think is excellent but sort of falling at the last hurdle.

Last edited:
I think I'll try the front staircase with the entry light lit. There are table lamps in the parlor. I might try there too.

Looking over lighting conditions I decided to set the spy camera on the parlor mantle and aim it toward the door that leads into the western hall which leads immediately to the front exit door. I'll have light in the daytime from the 12 ft windows in the front of the house and from window lamps that automatically switch on at dusk. I'll try the camera here for a couple of days and see if anything shows up. My wife and I going to the front door will surely be on it. I hope there may be more.

Any results yet, Brig?

Had a similar problem (for different physics reasons) when a spider moved into a smoke detector, although why the little bu**er only set the thing off at 2am I'll never know.
Spiders, especially big ones, have the equivalent intelligence to a human 5-year-old .. full of devilry LOL.

We get spiders from time to time...usually in the kitchen, basement or pantry. I have never seen any in the parlor But where I have the spy camera positioned would simply be in a spider-free zone. I realize spiders can crawl about anyplace; but there simply is nothing to attract them in the parlor.

We get spiders from time to time...usually in the kitchen, basement or pantry. I have never seen any in the parlor But where I have the spy camera positioned would simply be in a spider-free zone. I realize spiders can crawl about anyplace; but there simply is nothing to attract them in the parlor.

You see you can't just make assumptions like that. Spiders are social creatures and historically like to entertain their visitors in parlors, particularly flies.

See Howitt M (1829) The Spider and the Fly who discusses Spider entertaining etiquette and Spider and Fly relations.

http://www.love-poems.me.uk/howitt_the_spider_and_the_fly_funny.htm

Will you walk into my parlour?" said the Spider to the Fly,
'Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to shew when you are there."
Oh no, no," said the little Fly, "to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair can ne'er come down again."

"I'm sure you must be weary, dear, with soaring up so high;
Will you rest upon my little bed?" said the Spider to the Fly.
"There are pretty curtains drawn around; the sheets are fine and thin,
And if you like to rest awhile, I'll snugly tuck you in!"
Oh no, no," said the little Fly, "for I've often heard it said,
They never, never wake again, who sleep upon your bed!"

Said the cunning Spider to the Fly, " Dear friend what can I do,
To prove the warm affection I 've always felt for you?
I have within my pantry, good store of all that's nice;
I'm sure you're very welcome -- will you please to take a slice?"
"Oh no, no," said the little Fly, "kind Sir, that cannot be,
I've heard what's in your pantry, and I do not wish to see!"

"Sweet creature!" said the Spider, "you're witty and you're wise,
How handsome are your gauzy wings, how brilliant are your eyes!
I've a little looking-glass upon my parlour shelf,
If you'll step in one moment, dear, you shall behold yourself."
"I thank you, gentle sir," she said, "for what you 're pleased to say,
And bidding you good morning now, I'll call another day."

The Spider turned him round about, and went into his den,
For well he knew the silly Fly would soon come back again:
So he wove a subtle web, in a little corner sly,
And set his table ready, to dine upon the Fly.
Then he came out to his door again, and merrily did sing,
"Come hither, hither, pretty Fly, with the pearl and silver wing;
Your robes are green and purple -- there's a crest upon your head;
Your eyes are like the diamond bright, but mine are dull as lead!"

Alas, alas! how very soon this silly little Fly,
Hearing his wily, flattering words, came slowly flitting by;
With buzzing wings she hung aloft, then near and nearer drew,
Thinking only of her brilliant eyes, and green and purple hue --
Thinking only of her crested head -- poor foolish thing! At last,
Up jumped the cunning Spider, and fiercely held her fast.
He dragged her up his winding stair, into his dismal den,
Within his little parlour -- but she ne'er came out again!

And now dear little children, who may this story read,
To idle, silly flattering words, I pray you ne'er give heed:
Unto an evil counsellor, close heart and ear and eye,
And take a lesson from this tale, of the Spider and the Fly.

Will you walk into my parlour?" said the Spider to the Fly,
'Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to shew when you are there."
Oh no, no," said the little Fly, "to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair can ne'er come down again."

Wow! As a child in the '60s I had a friend who took dancing lessons and she would practice a routine set to a version of that poem, which she would sing as she danced. We other kids'd watch and listen in awe.

This thread is fascinating, and the photos Brig has given are, so far, eye-popping. Also, Brig, you live in the Arctic? That ghost needs thicker pyjamas!

Please, please, keep us updated. I really want to see how this pans out- even of it all turns out to be the work of a mischievous and hungry giant spider.

Actually, that probably sounded more Fortean than I meant it.

Actually Mr. T-h I was referring to the fact that my part of Ohio is very windy and cold in winter. We use to have flies appar during warmer winter periods but that ended several years ago with the arrival of the Asian ladybug. Obviously they ate the fly larva. Now that form of ladybug has become rather less seen.

Back