• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Spy Camera

If it's still A Thing: I spent several months running a motion-detection camera (some roommates I didn't trust). It was a normal webcam attached to my computer that had some software such that if it detected enough changes in the environment it'd take video. The major trigger I had? Passing cars whose lights shone in the room, and the Sun coming out behind clouds. Depending on how your camera decides "yes, things have changed enough over the past unit of time", those could be setting it off, and depending on how smart it is, it may not record the actual thing that set it off.

If it's still A Thing: I spent several months running a motion-detection camera (some roommates I didn't trust). It was a normal webcam attached to my computer that had some software such that if it detected enough changes in the environment it'd take video. The major trigger I had? Passing cars whose lights shone in the room, and the Sun coming out behind clouds. Depending on how your camera decides "yes, things have changed enough over the past unit of time", those could be setting it off, and depending on how smart it is, it may not record the actual thing that set it off.

Interesting, but we're now dying to know why you didn't trust your roommates.

Theft or worse?

Theft or worse?

Nah, just didn't know them well and it was extremely clear we did not get along. If they'd pulled something and I had no proof, that wouldn't have done me any good. If anything, it gave me peace of mind. Not an issue now, they moved out.

"bump" is internet slang for when a thread in any forum hasn't been posted in for a while and someone wants to 'bump' it to the top of the list to encourage more people to see it to help the conversation to restart.

Gutted this thread ended in 2018, love to know what happened, i hope brig is ok

Back