• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Spy-Fi: The New Trend?

Seems an odd prediction to make when there’s already been two Kingsman movies.

Edit... Apologies. That article was written in 2009.

Seems an odd prediction to make when there’s already been two Kingsman movies.

Edit... Apologies. That article was written in 2009.

Yes - I didn't pick up on the date of the article until after I'd posted it. I'd say that it was somewhat futuristic for nine years back and has gained a lot more resonance since then!

Never mind Kingsman - the new big movie in this line is Red Sparrow in which a Jennifer Lawrence plays Russian ballerina recruited to become a killing machine - based on a well received novel by Jason Matthews, who is ex-CIA. I haven't seen or read either of these so I couldn't say hiow much into Spy-fi territory they get, but there is certainly potential there.

And then maybe the Russians - with their burgeoning film industry - will retaliate with their own Spy Fi numbers -and we'll be in clover!

the new big movie in this line is Red Sparrow in which a Jennifer Lawrence plays Russian ballerina recruited to become a killing machine
That sounds promisingly ludicrous. What are the chances they will give her a halfway-decent Russian accent? This year's best picture Oscar-winner, Shape of Water, was enjoyable enough even if subtle characterisation was not exactly its forte, but bozhe moi the attempts at speaking Russian were atrocious.

That sounds promisingly ludicrous. What are the chances they will give her a halfway-decent Russian accent? This year's best picture Oscar-winner, Shape of Water, was enjoyable enough even if subtle characterisation was not exactly its forte, but bozhe moi the attempts at speaking Russian were atrocious.

In British TV dramas, characters that originate from anywhere between Poland and China all have the same accent.

I have to admit I saw the thread title and was thinking why don't the Bond Films count at Spy-fi? And if they did how does this count as a new trend?

I have to admit I saw the thread title and was thinking why don't the Bond Films count at Spy-fi? And if they did how does this count as a new trend?

The Bond franchise, both film and novel, most certainly does count as `Spy Fi` - with knobs on - and may even be one of the originators of the subgenre.

The claim isn't that Spy Fi is new - of course the genre has been around for some time (one might even dig back to `Fu Manchu`) - but just that, what with the `New Cold War` and so on - it is undergoing something of a renaissance. The last time the genre really was having it's day was the sixties (The Man from U.N.C.L.E, The Avengers...and a whole batch of like shows and films) and now it seems to be on another upward trend.

My review of Red Sparrow and further comments are here:

http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/science-fiction-films-tv.61619/page-10#post-1741925

http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/science-fiction-films-tv.61619/page-10#post-1744302

Yes - I didn't pick up on the date of the article until after I'd posted it. I'd say that it was somewhat futuristic for nine years back and has gained a lot more resonance since then!

Really? I'm not seeing it. The Man from UNCLE reboot didn't really take off and the most recent Kingsman took a critical panning. Apart from those two, I'm hard pushed to think of any upsurge in the spy-fi genre.

Really? I'm not seeing it. The Man from UNCLE reboot didn't really take off and the most recent Kingsman took a critical panning. Apart from those two, I'm hard pushed to think of any upsurge in the spy-fi genre.

Pity about TMFU, I liked it, maybe the it'll return as a tv series.

Wondering if you could class Agent Carter and Agents of Shield as Spy-Fi.
And if TMFU did come back as a TV series, it'd have to be set in the 60s.

The Mission Impossible movies, Spy-Fi or just Spy-thrillers? (BTW is is just me or did the team-up of Tom Cruise and Simon Pegg, in Mission Impossible:Rogue Nation remind them of Danger Mouse and Penfold?)

Wondering if you could class Agent Carter and Agents of Shield as Spy-Fi.
And if TMFU did come back as a TV series, it'd have to be set in the 60s.

The Mission Impossible movies, Spy-Fi or just Spy-thrillers? (BTW is is just me or did the team-up of Tom Cruise an
d Simon Pegg, in Mission Impossible:Rogue Nation remind them of Danger Mouse and Penfold?)

I think they would all fit into SpyFi.

As would Blindspot and The Blacklist imho.

TMFU could rebooted, some Detente with Russia as an SVR agent joins with a CIA agent to fight IS type groups and Bondesque Villains, coordinated of course by an MI6 agent.

Most spy films follow two templates set in stone: Bond or Le Carré. Bond always had a science fiction element, except it was not dedicated to it, hence it falls under the genre of adventure which can cover all sorts of outlandish business. So if it's not spies being miserable, then it's been spy-fi for decades. Harry Palmer may have been both.

Most spy films follow two templates set in stone: Bond or Le Carré. Bond always had a science fiction element, except it was not dedicated to it, hence it falls under the genre of adventure which can cover all sorts of outlandish business. So if it's not spies being miserable, then it's been spy-fi for decades. Harry Palmer may have been both.

The Billion Dollar Brain by Len Deighton was most certainly a prime slice of Spy -Fi: it foresaw.,in the sixties, the internet and cyberwarfare. This does feature Harry Palmer (although he is never named in the novel itself) and his mission here is to flush out a plot, lead by a potty American mogul, to destabilise the Eastern bloc.

I suspect that Harry Palmer was initially conceived as an anti-Bond figure - four-eyed, leftish, and not particularly suave with it - but it is the very Spy Fi elements in this novel, as well as Deighton's others in this cycle,that do give it a bit of a Bond-like feel.

(Fun fact: what dates this novel is that the love interest - if memory serves - is just seventeen!)

Le Carre, with his down-at heal verisimiltude and the in character of George Smiley, overturned the Bond precedent much more effectively - but the Spy Fi elements went out with it. He is a straight -down -the -line espionage writer, unless anyone can tell me otherwise.

The Billion Dollar Brain by Len Deighton was most certainly a prime slice of Spy -Fi: it foresaw.,in the sixties, the internet and cyberwarfare. This does feature Harry Palmer (although he is never named in the novel itself) and his mission here is to flush out a plot, lead by a potty American mogul, to destabilise the Eastern bloc.

I suspect that Harry Palmer was initially conceived as an anti-Bond figure - four-eyed, leftish, and not particularly suave with it - but it is the very Spy Fi elements in this novel, as well as Deighton's others in this cycle,that do give it a bit of a Bond-like feel.

(Fun fact: what dates this novel is that the love interest - if memory serves - is just seventeen!)

Le Carre, with his down-at heal verisimiltude and the in character of George Smiley, overturned the Bond precedent much more effectively - but the Spy Fi elements went out with it. He is a straight -down -the -line espionage writer, unless anyone can tell me otherwise.
I liked the film of that.

Check out these superb opening titles too:

Images by Maurice Binder of Bond fame. Equally great theme music by Richard Rodney Bennett. I think all three 60s Palmer films are pretty terrific, but BDB has that Ken Russell hysteria that truly suits the material.

The Sniffer.

A Ukranian/Russian TV detective series that has been running since 2013. In this a man, known only by his eponymous nickname, `the sniffer`, has enhanced olfactory powers. This ability to sniff out the truth of things results in him in the reluctant employ of a fictional crime unit which deals with faintly fortean crimes - e.g a weatlthy ex-Afghanistan colonel hires illegal cheap laboutr and then hunts them down as bloodsport in his country estate - ala Perry Mason.

It has started to get some begrudging prasie from /western critics: http://theeurotvplace.com/2017/06/euro-tv-to-watch-ukrainian-crime-drama-mystery-the-sniffer/

The series is well made, the characters (initially a bit trying) grow on you and there is a sense of moral decency working behind it. Furthermore Series 1 - 3 are streaming on Youtube WITH ENGLISH SUBTITLES! Not to be sniffed at!

There's a superpower that could backfire (eh) spectacularly.

There's a superpower that could backfire (eh) spectacularly.

The writers have anticipated these sorts of objections. The guy wears these sort of filtered plugs up his nose most of the time and only removes them when his powers are needed. So whenever you see him blithely removing those plugs...you know we're in for some serious sniffing action. (It's like the bits in `The Incredible Hulk` TV series where his eyes went a bit funny to indicate that he is about to transform...).

Also his powers do backfire insofar as, as a result of his condition, he is massivley allergic to cats. So whenever the plot palls a bit, he gets jumped on by a random cat - thus putting him out of action for a while. Cats are his Nemesis.

It's not as daft as it sounds, trust me....

It sounds like Cyclops from the X-Men, only with special nose plugs instead of a special visor. It would really be going some to be as daft as it sounds.

I think this just about fits here.

Imperium: Daniel Radcliffe is an FBI analyst with no field experience who is persuaded by senior agent Toni Collette to infiltrate the White Separatist movement after barrels of caesium go missing. Starting with skinheads he delves further and deeper into the white Power circles seeing their disagreements over dogma, how they flock around a low rent Alex Jones type. The disparate groups unite for a march and during a confrontation at this demo, Radcliffe rescues the leader of the Aryan alliance from attackers getting an in to the apparently more serious groups.

Good Conspiracy/Thriller, Radcliffe is convincing, like Clark Kent he just has to take off his glasses to change from bookish analyst to Aryan Ubermensch. Collette is the driven cynical agent who is prepared to risk an inexperienced analyst on a deep cover mission but quite able to justify it to herself. We see scenes of a wedding taking place in front of burning swastikas and crosses, the penny ante Alex Jones is shown to be a conman: I don't believe in ZOG, I just tell these asses what they want to hear: I'm a Showman.

The sense of threat that Radcliffe is constantly under is portrayed through dark filters indoors and washed out colours in forests. The plot has many twists and turns but the screenplay by director Daniel Ragussis delivers a coherent narrative. An impressive directorial debut by Ragussis. 8/10.

Imperium sounds a lot like the film Betrayed (1988) by Costa-Gravas:

https://www.nytimes.com/1988/08/26/...a-gavras-s-betrayed-the-world-of-bigotry.html

I would have to count that as one of my all time favourite films, although it's too `real world` to count as Spy-Fi. Well, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, I suppose....

Meanwhile, Radcliffe grows on me. I was never in to the Harry Potter thing, but since then he seems to have been using the freedom his stardom gives him to chose some really interesting roles - and he seems like an all round good egg, with decent political views to boot.

Viktor Frankenstein from a few years back was somewhat neglected: I thought it was amiable and sumptuous..

Daniel Radcliffe could have retired to count his millions aged 20, but I admire that he decided to apply himself to learning his craft. He was pretty terrible in the Harry Potter films, but is excellent in Imperium, though there's no science fiction element whatsoever - is it based on a true story? It feels that way.

Of course, he was also in true-life horror tale Jungle, which was very gruesome, only missing the odd bit of disgust (e.g. in real life the victim slid down an embankment and in the fall a branch was rammed straight up his bottom).

Daniel Radcliffe could have retired to count his millions aged 20, but I admire that he decided to apply himself to learning his craft. He was pretty terrible in the Harry Potter films, but is excellent in Imperium, though there's no science fiction element whatsoever - is it based on a true story? It feels that way.

Of course, he was also in true-life horror tale Jungle, which was very gruesome, only missing the odd bit of disgust (e.g. in real life the victim slid down an embankment and in the fall a branch was rammed straight up his bottom).

It says it was based on a true story. I thought the SpyFi element was the use of caesium-137 in large quantities in a dirty bomb. If that had been successful it could have killed thousands and would have made large areas of Washington DC uninhabitable.

It certainly brought both Betrayed and Green Room to mind.

The film only received a limited release before going to video on demand.

Thanks, I half-recalled its basis in truth. But the bomb was far more spy than sci-fi, I'd say. Terrorist thriller even more.

Back