• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Stafford Visit :)

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
I'm going to be in Stafford (and also the bike show/auction) around April 20 this year.

It's over 30 years :freak: since I was there.

I have St Chads's and the Ancient High House on my list. I'll mostly be on foot, walking with a stick*, hoping to take in tea shops and yarn/embroidery/dressmaking emporia if I find them.

Where else? Once the car is available I'm hoping to drive down the bit near Cannock to see if I can find a werewolf, and maybe go to Lichfield to see a dear friend.

Suggestions? Anyone in the area want to have a coffee? :D

Frides

* To hold me up. Not a swagger stick.

I'm going to be in Stafford (and also the bike show/auction) around April 20 this year.

I have St Chads's and the Ancient High House on my list. I'll mostly be on foot, walking with a stick*, hoping to take in tea shops and yarn/embroidery/dressmaking emporia if I find them.

Where else? Once the car is available I'm hoping to drive down the bit near Cannock to see if I can find a werewolf, and maybe go to Lichfield to see a dear friend.

Frides

You might remember the Soup Kitchen down St Marys Walk. It`s still there and just as lovely with all their food being home made. Also in the same area, the old college refectory has been made into a group of dinky little shops. And at the back of the old St Johns Market, there is The Market Vaults pub which used to be a hangout for the Rugeley poisoner (Forget the name) and is said to be haunted. Hope you have a lovely time in Stafford. Expect it to be very different to 30 years ago. :)

Frides

It's about 25/30 years since I was there too! I don't have any current recommendations but I do recall the Bird In Hand and Nag's Head with much affection! Hopefully they are still in existence. You've made me want to pay a visit and take a look for myself...

Luvpixie, OrsonSwells Thank you! It's lovely to have time to myself and the opportunity to browse around :) Suggestions noted with gratitude!

Luvpixie, OrsonSwells Thank you! It's lovely to have time to myself and the opportunity to browse around :) Suggestions noted with gratitude!

It just occurred to me we may have frequented Stafford at the same time. I was there 88 to 91. I wonder if our paths ever crossed!

oh my! yes, I was at the Research Centre for Computer Archaeology up the road from c83-85 and I lectured at the college in Earl street from c85-92!

oh my! yes, I was at the Research Centre for Computer Archaeology up the road from c83-85 and I lectured at the college in Earl street from c85-92!

I was a student at the time, but I spent many an hour in the Whitley Building!

Last time I was down in Staffordshire, I was at an event at Keele University (near Newcastle-not-upon-Tyne, and for reasons decidedly-different from archaeology)....if I'd had the chance, I would've really loved to have seen this up-close (albeit much of it is now in Brum......)

640px-Staffordshire_hoard_annotated.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staffordshire_Hoard

The Staffordshire Hoard is the largest hoard of Anglo-Saxon gold and silver metalwork yet found. It consists of over 3,500 items, amounting to a total of 5.1 kg (11 lb) of gold, 1.4 kg (3 lb) of silver and some 3,500 pieces of garnet cloisonné jewellery.

The hoard was most likely deposited in the 7th century, and contains artefacts probably manufactured during the 6th and 7th centuries. It was discovered in 2009 in a field near the village of Hammerwich, near Lichfield, in Staffordshire, England. The location was in the Anglo-Saxon kingdom of Mercia at the time of the hoard's deposition.

(On another Staffs note..Is the city of Newcastle-Under-Lyme actually designed to kill pedestrians, or does it just feel that way??)

Last edited:
Imagine a couple goes for a weekend away to a small county town with a large bike show/auction etc to dribble over, lots of archaeology and history to enjoy and a shared history there (30+ years ago) to reminisce over.

Add in pleasant weather and a lovely selection of ye olde tea shoppes, antiques places etc to leaven the mix.

Now imagine /how bad/ where they stayed had to be for them to leave it in the wee small hours of the first night, to spend the rest of the night sleeping in the car, and then to run for the border as soon as a quick circuit of the bike thing had been achieved.

* a gently sobbing Frideswide clutches her pearls*

Imagine a couple goes for a weekend away to a small county town with a large bike show/auction etc to dribble over, lots of archaeology and history to enjoy and a shared history there (30+ years ago) to reminisce over.

Add in pleasant weather and a lovely selection of ye olde tea shoppes, antiques places etc to leaven the mix.

Now imagine /how bad/ where they stayed had to be for them to leave it in the wee small hours of the first night, to spend the rest of the night sleeping in the car, and then to run for the border as soon as a quick circuit of the bike thing had been achieved.

Oh dear...

*a gently sobbing Frideswide clutches her pearls*
What a shame! That's terrible.

Now...without actually naming+shaming, might this... bad place have been located & remote-booked via Air B'n'B?

I leap to this warranted assumption on the basis of certain detailed disappointments some friends have experienced via that particular...accomodation system (as well as plenty good bookings, too, it should be said)

But: when it bombs, it can bomb bigly+badly, and much-more dramatically than many of the worst of trad B&Bs.

(EDIT Here, have some Leekfrith Torcs to cheer you up :oldm:
640px-Leekfrith_Torcs.jpg

Last edited:

Oh dear! What happened...?

Oh dear! What happened...?

Yes Frides, please do tell.

Staffordshire .. I'd avoid Burton On Trent if I were you, it's like a mini Bradford .. Shugborough Hall is worth a visit if you're into stately homes, I moved to Cromer with a woman from Lichfield and it is a very pretty town with an ace cathedral. There's a dry ski slope in Swadlincote (if it's still there?), if you fancy travelling a little further afield, there's an indoor snow dome in Tamworth ..

Now...without actually naming+shaming, might this... bad place have been located & remote-booked via Air B'n'B?

no, no it says it is a hotel... * more soft weeping sounds *

actually, it might just about be a minor fortean thing. There is a sense of dread associated with it but I am so bewildered by it I don't think I can articulate :(

no, no it says it is a hotel... * more soft weeping sounds *

actually, it might just about be a minor fortean thing. There is a sense of dread associated with it but I am so bewildered by it I don't think I can articulate :(
You stayed in a dodgy hotel and something Fortean made you decide to flee?

That was an ancient way of calling a town a city give it a cathedral.

Hardly rational in these times to call an overgrown village a city.
I know, but isn't that rule still being followed?

I know, but isn't that rule still being followed?

No, now a town has to apply for a state charter.

Just think of what could happen if the old system applied, especially with all of this multiculturalism. Cromer has Grand-Mosque, it would be made a City.

No, now a town has to apply for a state charter.

Just think of what could happen if the old system applied, especially with all of this multiculturalism. Cromer has Grand-Mosque, it would be made a City.
I'll drop my bacon sandwich if a Mosque is ever built in Cromer .. that's never going to happen.

Eventually it will.
Seeing as the place is smothered with free masons, an ex prime minister, Sandringham, the Queen's holiday palace, tons of ex and currently serving royal marines as well as current active military bases, radar stations etc etc .. and countless other white tosser multi millionaires ? .. I'd be very surprised .. Cromer is about as 'white' as it gets in England, open racism flourishes here against non 'white' people .. there's even a heavy church attendance scene .. I'm not saying that's a good thing at all in the grand scheme of things but it is the truth sadly .. You'd be just as unlikely to see a feminist lesbian support march in Helmand Provence ..

Back