• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Stairs & Our Attitudes Toward Them

I'm learning a lot about you today- you can fight with knives and swords and you used to fling yourself downstairs (sometimes wearing chainmail) for fun.

I mean where does one even get chainmail from anyway?

You're either a top chap/es, or unhinged. I can't quite decide which it is......
Right.
Let me get this cleared up.
I'm a year away from being 60 years old. (humph)
I used to be in a Dark Ages/Viking reinactment group and, honestly, learned how to fight with a lot of heavy ... metal ... sharp things. We purchased our chainmail hauberks from a local ... wideboy, called Graham the Skunk. BTW, I know how to make 'fake' chainmail but, honestly, I'm getting on now and I can't be bothered,
And while (on recollection) I think I was an alcoholic, I've settled down now to old age, memories and a grab-bag of anecdotes that when my wife met some of my old cronies (and they remembered shit I didn't) she realised that what I had told her was only the tip of the wassname.

I say this not to impress or get 'clout'. I state fact.
Even I look back on all the crap I've experienced or done and still use the WTF expression.

I've not been around the world, I've not been wealthy, I've not climbed [insert mountain of choice]. I've been shot, stabbed, sliced and - sorry - I've sliced and broken other's limbs.

I'm not a top whatever.
I've just had an interesting, alternative, time of life.
And I'm nearing the end.

I'm learning a lot about you today- you can fight with knives and swords and you used to fling yourself downstairs (sometimes wearing chainmail) for fun.

I mean where does one even get chainmail from anyway?

That's one of the funniest posts I have read in ages.

In the internet age, one buys Chainmail from here

https://www.theknightshop.com/buy-historical-armour/chainmail-armour-uk

chain.jpeg

And after you've had enough of stair surfing, you can sit on a long wooden bench, admire a tapestry and sip mead.

mead.jpeg

https://www.theknightshop.com/horn-mug-and-mead-set

Last edited:
For an extreme stairway experience, I can recommend taking the stairs at the Eiffel Tower.
We took the lifts up, but opted to walk down from the second platform.
My knees were complaining a bit by the time we reached street level, but the amazing vertiginous views at every turn, from which you are separated by just a few rusty bars, made it worthwhile.

steps.png

Right.
Let me get this cleared up.
I'm a year away from being 60 years old. (humph)
I used to be in a Dark Ages/Viking reinactment group and, honestly, learned how to fight with a lot of heavy ... metal ... sharp things. We purchased our chainmail hauberks from a local ... wideboy, called Graham the Skunk. BTW, I know how to make 'fake' chainmail but, honestly, I'm getting on now and I can't be bothered,
And while (on recollection) I think I was an alcoholic, I've settled down now to old age, memories and a grab-bag of anecdotes that when my wife met some of my old cronies (and they remembered shit I didn't) she realised that what I had told her was only the tip of the wassname.

I say this not to impress or get 'clout'. I state fact.
Even I look back on all the crap I've experienced or done and still use the WTF expression.

I've not been around the world, I've not been wealthy, I've not climbed [insert mountain of choice]. I've been shot, stabbed, sliced and - sorry - I've sliced and broken other's limbs.

I'm not a top whatever.
I've just had an interesting, alternative, time of life.
And I'm nearing the end.

I was just getting in to that post and then you stopped!

That's one of the funniest posts I have read in ages.

In the internet age, one buys Chainmail from here

https://www.theknightshop.com/buy-historical-armour/chainmail-armour-uk

View attachment 66732

And after you've had enough of stair surfing, can sit on a long wooden bench, admire a tapestry and sip mead.

View attachment 66733

https://www.theknightshop.com/horn-mug-and-mead-set
Ooooh, ooooooh, @escargot and me and my daughter went in there! An American who'd never heard of mead was buying some, my daughter bought a Kraken bottle holder, and we found lots of lovely things we liked!

That's an interesting question.

I think the lesson from the joker was "You think you can play jokes? Look what I can do"

I have no recollection of what the incident did to my fear of falling downstairs. As my mother hugged me and consoled me I remember being... horrified... aghast... appalled... that my trick had backfired. I wanted to try and explain to her the whole thing but feared a telling off because it was me that had caused it all so I kept quiet. I was left alone with the realisation that I was the architect of my own horror.

A few years later my parents 'modernised' (think 1970's) the house by replacing the old staircase with a polished wood, open plan flight
of stairs like these

View attachment 66579

They terrified me even more.
Oh, and I asked because I used to have a recurrently nightmare about waking up and being unable to turn on the lights (electricity never works in my dreams). There'd be something scary going on and I couldn't turn on a light, which made it double scary. Then, one day, it happened for real. I was working on a farm and living in a tiny converted farm building; there was a thunderstorm which woke me, and I couldn't switch on a light because all the electricity had gone out. I've never had that dream since (lots of other scary ones, but never again one where I was trying to turn the lights on in a panic). So I think sometimes the feared thing happening makes you stop fearing it, because you lived through it!

Ooooh, ooooooh, @escargot and me and my daughter went in there! An American who'd never heard of mead was buying some, my daughter bought a Kraken bottle holder, and we found lots of lovely things we liked!
That looks like an awesome shop. They sell swords at an affordable price.

That looks like an awesome shop. They sell swords at an affordable price.

If you like this stuff, do a taster weekend with a local re-enactment society. Usually good people and learning a new creative skill is always worthwhile. Wasn't kidding about the long winter evenings. :twothumbs:

If you like this stuff, do a taster weekend with a local re-enactment society. Usually good people and learning a new creative skill is always worthwhile. Wasn't kidding about the long winter evenings. :twothumbs:
No, I don't want to do that or LARPing. Too old and decrepit.
But I do have an interest in bladesmithing.

Heh.
Not only am I an afficionado of mead, but I've been making it since I was 15.

Oh and as weapon-smith, I can recommend Heron Armoury. Tim, the proprietor, made most of my stuff, including a custom design for my 30th birthday!

Back