• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Stanton Friedman

XBergMann

Fear not, I mean no harm to your planet
He was one of the more sensible UFOlogists I am saddened by his passing

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/stanton-friedman-ufologist-dead-1.5135588

Stanton Friedman, famed UFO researcher, dead at 84
Social Sharing

Friedman credited with bringing Roswell Incident to mainstream conversation
Colin McPhail · CBC News · Posted: May 14, 2019 4:16 PM AT | Last Updated: May 15

stanton-friedman.jpg

Stanton Friedman, a nuclear physicist devoted to uncovering what he could about alien life, has died. He was 84. (Submitted/Melissa Friedman)
comments
Stanton Friedman, the famed UFO researcher based in Fredericton, has died.
Friedman was returning from a speaking engagement in Columbus, Ohio, when he died suddenly at the Toronto Pearson Airport on Monday night, according to his family.
He was 84.
A nuclear physicist by training, Friedman had devoted his life to researching and investigating UFOs since the late 1960s.
He was credited with bringing the 1947 Roswell Incident — the famous incident that gave rise to theories about UFOs and a U.S. military coverup — back into the mainstream conversation.

Friedman "officially" retired last year but still booked speaking engagements "because he loved talking about UFOs," said his daughter, Melissa Friedman, who works for CBC News.
"Dad was curious about anything he didn't know about. He was always asking questions about how things worked.

stanton-friedman-family.jpg

Stanton Friedman, second from right, posing for a photo with his wife Marilyn, far right, his daughter Melissa Friedman and her husband David Parsons. (Submitted/Melissa Friedman)
"I think it's rare for someone to stay so engaged and curious and open-minded for a life that's that long."
She remembered her father as encouraging, proud and caring and said she was fortunate to have one last visit a week ago in Nova Scotia.
'He did his homework'
Friedman was an accomplished writer, publishing dozens of papers about UFOs and writing or co-writing several books. Three of those books were written in tandem with Kathleen Marden.
"He will be greatly missed," Marden, a UFO researcher, said in an interview from Florida.

stanton-friedman-620.jpg

Stanton Friedman, a leading authority on UFOs, is pictured taking part in a parade in McMinnville, Ore., in 2013. (CBC)
His qualifications, intelligence and diligence made him irreplaceable in the research field, she said.
"He did his homework," Marden said.
"He went further than most researchers in that he did on-site investigations. He went to actual physical archives to do his research. He was an outstanding researcher, highly intelligent and had a great sense of humour."
He was also a familiar face in documentaries, radio and television, including multiple appearances on Larry King Live, and lectured about UFOs for hundreds of colleges and professional groups across the United States, Canada and many other countries.
Friedman was also inducted into the UFO Hall of Fame in Roswell, N.M.

stanton-friedman-wife.jpg

Stanton Friedman is survived by his wife of 44 years, Marilyn. (Submitted/Melissa Friedman)
Marden said he remained firm in his conviction that aliens exist and have visited our planet because he had "more than ample evidence."
"He doubted everything until he had the evidence," she said. "He was skeptical himself.
"Once he had the evidence and it was not just speculation — it was confirmatory evidence — he went with it."
'Trying to lift the laughter curtain'
In a 2011 interview with CBC News, Friedman said most people agree with him once they hear the evidence.
"Despite the false claims of a small group of nasty, noisy negativists, most people accept ET reality even though they think most others don't," he said.
"I check my audiences and find at the end of my lecture that about 10 per cent of the attendees have had a sighting. But 90 per cent didn't report it because of a fear of ridicule.
"I am trying to lift the laughter curtain."

His work was celebrated in New Brunswick, and the City of Fredericton declared Aug. 27, 2007, Stanton Friedman Day.
Friedman, who was born in New Jersey and had dual citizenship, lived in Fredericton with his wife of 44 years, Marilyn, mother to Melissa Friedman. He also had three children from a previous marriage.
Funeral arrangements have yet to be made.

I was fortunate to meet him once at a UFO seminar in Grand Rapids Michigan. He was intense and focused on his position.
I recall talking to him about other possible explanations (multi- dimensions and psycho-social...)and he more or less rejected them and stood by the ETH. He was a bit impatient at times during the conversation with several of us in the small group he was addressing .
He was also the only 'vendor' (he was selling his books...) who was allowed to set up inside the lecture hall while the other vendors were outside in the hallway area. I guess fame has it's privileges.
(Oh..btw...Budd Hopkins was also there and we had a chance to meet and talk with him also.)

There are some who believe that Stanton was working for the government as an agent; Donovan suggests that in The Alien Plan for Earth.

^That has been said about many ufologists over the years...including Dr Vallee....who did actually do some research work for DARPA.
I'm not sure what either person could have accomplished in that vein based on what we know about them.
It was often said back in the late 50's and into the early 70's that various gubbermint intel agencies had infiltrated several of the grass root ufo orgs.

Hell, I have been accused of being a gubbermint agent, and I'm a complete nobody in the UFO scene. Pretty much every other scene too, for that matter. Sometimes all it takes to get so labeled is to roll your eyes when some nutbag starts going on about FEMA camps or some such nonsense.

Hell, I have been accused of being a gubbermint agent, and I'm a complete nobody in the UFO scene. Pretty much every other scene too, for that matter. Sometimes all it takes to get so labeled is to roll your eyes when some nutbag starts going on about FEMA camps or some such nonsense.
I don't think Friedman was a goobermint agent.

I don't think Friedman was a goobermint agent.

I don't think he was either. Carl Sagan, though, in my opinion, toed the government line whenever he was asked to comment publically on ufos or alien life.

I don't think he was either. Carl Sagan, though, in my opinion, toed the government line whenever he was asked to comment publically on ufos or alien life.
Which is interesting because in several of his books he mentioned the idea of ET life and was not against the possibility.

Which is interesting because in several of his books he mentioned the idea of ET life and was not against the possibility.

I was thinking more of at least one tv appearance where he pooh-poohed the idea of ufos then rudely sniggered and mumbled while a fellow guest and ufo researcher spoke. It has been suggested he was a government shill asked to publically debunk the subject whenever he could.

Plenty of people (like me) believe very strongly in aliens but doubt that UFOs have anything to do with them.
As I have said, many times, one day we will meet aliens, and we will find that not only they have nothing to do with our UFOs, but that they have UFOs of their own.

Plenty of people (like me) believe very strongly in aliens but doubt that UFOs have anything to do with them.
As I have said, many times, one day we will meet aliens, and we will find that not only they have nothing to do with our UFOs, but that they have UFOs of their own.
And that is a direct paraphrase of what Dr Vallee said many times in the past.

;)

Coast to Coast A.M. has just uploaded a ranging discussion with Stanton Friedman that I found interesting. It's a speculative tour d'horizon with much on what is most likely to be the case on the balance of probabilities.

It's layman friendly and interesting.

Despite countless eyewitness accounts, the U.S. government has never officially declared the nature of UFOs. Is there proof that some UFOs have been alien visitors? Nuclear physicist Stanton Friedman (1934 – 2019), the original civilian investigator of the Roswell Incident, reveals the secret history of UFOs in this interview with George Noory.

Back