• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Now that Bryan Fuller is out, I don't really have high hopes.

Bryan Fuller is both homosexual and an executive producer on the new Star Trek series, having taken a step back from being more hands on. What's weird is that he's a vocal Trek fan, so you would think creating a new show would be his dream job. I don't know if the workload was too much or he clashed with Paramount, but I hope he manages to exert some influence on the course of the show that makes it interesting.

Back in december Fuller said he is now not involved at all.

Nothing to do with gay guys, this just made me smile:

Tribble Shearing

tribbleshearing.jpg

I seem to remember reading a profile of Fuller when they ditched Hannibal - he's apparently not known for compromise, and any attempt to alter his vision can lead to discussions. And maybe some going off in a bit of a huff.

I say integrity, you say intransigence..

Yeah, Dead Like Me continued without him for one sputtering season, and Wonderfalls was wrapped up with undue haste, to name two. But he is a very talented man, and I'd say it's worth letting him get his way when he gets it right so often, artistically speaking (if not in terms of viewers).

Anyway, apparently Jason Isaacs is the new Captain on Discovery, so hello to him.

Does this have currency?

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GrowingTheBeard

The opposite to the now-standard meme of a series having 'Jumped the Shark' (Happy Days) at the point whence decline may be charted from is that it has 'Grown the Beard' (Star Trek: The Next Generation), which pinpoints the moment at which rapid improvement from an less-mature stage commences. Cmdr. Riker's being the beard in question.

Does this have currency?

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GrowingTheBeard

The opposite to the now-standard meme of a series having 'Jumped the Shark' (Happy Days) at the point whence decline may be charted from is that it has 'Grown the Beard' (Star Trek: The Next Generation), which pinpoints the moment at which rapid improvement from an less-mature stage commences. Cmdr. Riker's being the beard in question.

When a character grows a beard, or a beard suddenly appears, it usually means they've gone badass in some way. The Mirror Universe in Star Trek (which inspired a whole prog rock band's output), the BSG reboot, and of course Sisko in DS9 (although he only gets truly badass when he does the right thing and shaves his head - all the most badass people have the bald/beard combo).

Maybe I need more sleep, or more food, but I actually found bits of that trailer amusing.
At least it's not Starhyke! What, you've never heard of it? That's because it was a complete crock. I used to work on a science fiction magazine and Claudia Christian came in to the office one day with the producer, and seemed to take a liking to me. Which was very nice, but then I had to pretend to like the show, and I'm not that good an actor!

I was hoping for more than klingons and vulcans. This does seem like it will be rewarmed leftovers.

I sort of liked that, a more alien physiology and less humans with bumpy foreheads.

Worse than all that are the random Optical Flares and the really bad comping out of the green screen work. Check out the hard edge on the profile of the Captain. This looks rushed and slightly cheap.

To boldly go where everyone's already gone before anyway except this time with all females in charge ! ..

FEM TRECK ...
I hope it's not really that shallow.

It already looks like a horrible mash up of the new movies style with all the cannon problems Enterprise had to face.

Add in a ship design that must have been picked as a gag or a desperate attempt at a departure from the usual Star Fleet aesthetic.

I've got a bad feeling about this ;)

I sort of liked that, a more alien physiology and less humans with bumpy foreheads.

Well they are clearly bipedal with lateral symmetry, heads on top with forward facing eyes - so no more alien than a chimp.

They are also wearing some disco style clothing. Reminds me of the stuff the Xindi wore on Enterprise.

I spotted a few 'solar flares' FX in that trailer, the type that even JJ Abrams decided to ditch when he realised the internet nerds were taking the piss out of him for over using them.

I spotted a few 'solar flares' FX in that trailer, the type that even JJ Abrams decided to ditch when he realised the internet nerds were taking the piss out of him for over using them.
What you doing awake at that time in the morning, Swifty? There's only a few options a man has when he's on the internet at 4 in the morning.

What you doing awake at that time in the morning, Swifty? There's only a few options a man has when he's on the internet at 4 in the morning.
After my half hearted wank Ringo, I took in a milk and papers delivery .. I remember the good old days when I had 9 to 5 jobs.

The ship coming out of the clouds in the trailer isn't a new design - it looks very similar to the Defiant. (Centaur class?)

I don't think we see the exterior of the Discovery.

Yes, Yeoh is captain of Shenzhou not Discovery.

After my half hearted wank Ringo, I took in a milk and papers delivery .. I remember the good old days when I had 9 to 5 jobs.
I thought you might have been watching an auction on eBay.;)

*ahem* .. Cockney Star Trek

.. and Scottish Star Trek

Back