• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
William Shatner arguing with God: comedy gold. In fact I think the much-maligned Final Frontier is the funniest ST movie, I'm not sure whether it was meant to be quite as funny as it was, mind you.

There's also that scene in The Undiscovered Country where Kirk saves the President from an assassin by diving through the air and knocking him to the ground. Surely Shatner wrote or improvised this?

In the second and a half before the cut, as they both lie on the carpet, he introduces himself in a positively conversational tone, as if the number one priority is that the President know who has just saved him:

"Kirk--Enterprise."

Edit: Near the start here:

Where would science fiction be without stories of The Shat's mighty ego? It's a global treasure. I'm reminded of the spoof article in Film Threat magazine that said he'd secured a job as a car show room salesman, but when the customers asked for a test drive, he insisted on doing the driving himself.

William Shatner arguing with God: comedy gold. In fact I think the much-maligned Final Frontier is the funniest ST movie, I'm not sure whether it was meant to be quite as funny as it was, mind you.
I think it was very deliberate, the script is very dry humor.

There's also that scene in The Undiscovered Country where Kirk saves the President fr m an assassin by diving through the air and knocking him to the ground. Surely Shatner wrote or improvised this?

In the second and a half before the cut, as they both lie on the carpet, he introduces himself in a positively conversational tone, as if the number one priority is that the President know who has just saved him:

"Kirk--Enterprise."

Edit: Near the start here:
I'm very sure it was scripted - the stuntie wasn't improvising. But so beautifully over the top. And what a great cast, Warner and Christopher Plummer. Shatner is a super comedian. There must be yards of blooper stuff with everyone not keeping a straight face. My own favorite line is the "oh not again" moment.

Trek V The Final Frontier is directed by Shatner. Shatner is in virtually every scene in a heroic pose. It starts with him doing a free climb of El Capitan. And goes on from there...

That is the only saving grace of a film that was terrible otherwise.
Oh, that and Uhura doing a fan-dance!
I think its's a very funny film. Good cast, nice photography, funny concepts (well, what would a kitty-stripper look like?) and a nice central message about religious mania. Sure beats the whales. It's amazing how many half-siblings Spock seems to have littered around the universe. Very easygoing parents, Amanda and Sarek.

To be fair, Tiberius has form on disrespecting gods. He basically casually pissed all over Apollo in TOS.

and set in 20th century san francisco where i lived when it came out. much fun.

I remember seeing that film at the cinema with my mother shortly after it was released. I don't recall why she came with me since I was twenty at the time and obviously not in need of parental accompaniment. Maybe she just wanted to get out of the house. My mother wasn't a fan of ST and I suspect she anticipated over-the-top sci-fi antics. On the way home she told me she was pleasantly surprised that the film proved to be such good fun. The film's opening dedication to the deceased Challenger astronauts was quite touching.

The trouble with covids

aCovids.gif

Lol, reminds me of that ridiculous Voyager episode where there are viruses attacking the ship that are just getting bigger and bigger, and Janeway goes all Ripley to defeat them alone and save the ship. Think it's called Macrocosm.
yes it was weird and dumb. Such a sci-fi thing though

Lol, reminds me of that ridiculous Voyager episode where there are viruses attacking the ship that are just getting bigger and bigger, and Janeway goes all Ripley to defeat them alone and save the ship. Think it's called Macrocosm.
I love that episode. Wonderful big fat viruses.

Discovery's back, and despite what the opening titles said, there was only one regular cast member featured. Was more like Flash Gordon than Star Trek (1930s version), but I don't begrudge them trying something different. Is it wise to ditch the Federation? Not sure how many ties to the franchise this will have anymore.

As long as they've ditched all the tedious Klingon bollocks, then things will be looking up for this season.

I thought with a name like Book it would be a Firefly tie-in, and briefly got fanboy-excited.

It was good to see them use two established TOS aliens instead of resorting to the overused ones.

Heck, let's bring back M'Ress and Arex, one of my earliest memories is of that show!

They also had one of Morn's species show up.

Loved the Icelandic scenery and I so want a hologram parrot alarm clock.
Not too sure that the mystery of why the "Burn" happened will hold my interest for the entire series though.
There was a faint echo of The Voyage Home's eco-conscience in that first episode but, otherwise, any nods to Star Trek canon seem to have been well and truly jettisoned.
Discovery obviously takes ST fans much further beyond their comfort zone than say Picard did. Just hope it results in a satisfying and entertaining overall experience.

2 out of 4 stars.

It's not as bad as the previous series, but they have to work on writing. I think the main problem is similar to that of Lovecraft Country: they crammed too much content into the episode they ended up with a lack of character development. To make matters worse, the third act was repetitious.

Also, they need to work harder on direction. Burnham's behavior was exaggerated, but I don't think it's the actor's fault. Book's was fairly regular.

Third, they should focus on plot and character development. The show resembles others, as if cast and crew wants to accentuate everything (from scenery to special effects), and ending up with what is essentially lots of loud noise.

Finally, they need to go back to the previous TV shows and movies and see what makes the franchise different from other sci-fi shows. From there, figure out how to make this one appealing to fans who did that and to those who know little to nothing about the franchise, but without making it look like the rest.

Well, this week's felt more like a Star Trek episode, though it is getting very Voyager - not an entirely terrible thing, because that's a decent premise. Could see the "surprise" ending coming a light year off, mind you.

Back