• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
OK, I take it back, I just watched Lower Decks 2/2 and it did make me laugh a bit. Especially at "I AM NOT A DOLL. DO NOT PLAY WITH ME." Maybe it's improving?

Just watched the Undiscovered Country and enjoyed it. The conspiracy angle was interesting, although the second half of the film ended up in a race against time to shoot the baddies type ending.

Still a good one though, and David Warner was in it, which is always a sign that something is worth watching.

Just watched the Undiscovered Country and enjoyed it. The conspiracy angle was interesting, although the second half of the film ended up in a race against time to shoot the baddies type ending.

Still a good one though, and David Warner was in it, which is always a sign that something is worth watching.

David Warner is in Star Trek V: The Final Frontier too. So, yes, you're right!

I had a busy weekend, and as I'm the proud owner of the limited edition 15-disc TOS soundtrack collection, it's time to relax with this excerpt. Totally useless points will be awarded to the first person to place the scene and episode.

I was speaking to my son last weekend (He's 25 now) and was surprised to hear that he had never watched any Star Trek but had recently got an interest in it (somehow) and had watched all of 'The Original Series' in the sequence they were originally broadcast and was just starting on The Next Generation.
IIRC I warned him that TNG is quite different to TOS, being much more 'brown and beige' and full of 90s 'tropes'.
And that DS9 is one of things that seems to divide Star Trek fans so he will probably either like it or hate it.
My personal favourite being Voyager (or at least most of it) I recommended it.

I am interested to hear what his opinion is of the various incarnations of the oeuvre and what he thinks of the films when he inevitably watches those in sequence too.

I still find it hard to get my head around the fact that TNG was being broadcast before he was born.

I had a busy weekend, and as I'm the proud owner of the limited edition 15-disc TOS soundtrack collection, it's time to relax with this excerpt. Totally useless points will be awarded to the first person to place the scene and episode.
Snazzy.

Tom Leightons Party in "The Conscience of the King".
How many totally useless points do I get?

Also, do I have to fess-up that I had to check in 'Memory Alpha'?

Wasn't that in the episode where Kirk uses the Enterprise to ferry a troupe of actors around the place because he thinks one of them was Kodos the executioner. That music was playing in the background of a party he was at when he runs into the daughter of Kodos

Wasn't that in the episode where Kirk uses the Enterprise to ferry a troupe of actors around the place because he thinks one of them was Kodos the executioner. That music was playing in the background of a party he was at when he runs into the daughter of Kodos
And 9,459.98 points go to @feen5! It was The Conscience of the King.

I couldn't remember the name of the episode ( I probably should have checked memory alpha first)

Oi, where's my points?
Sorry @Trevp666 - it was early morning, and I was only looking at posts that quoted me or mentioned me. Therefore, in my sole discretion as judge, I award you 1,009,459.98 points, with @feen5 taking second place.

db06awf-536c22dc-7f5b-4a0d-b5dc-89d28d1f7fcc.jpg

Excellent.
I'm off to cash them in down at Screwfix right now.
For some strange reason I really want some power tools.

I'm in a musical mood. Here are two more of my favorite versions of the TOS theme.

This one is the only one I know that includes the official lyrics:

And this one in a different style includes some other music from the show:

Is it true Gene Roddenberry wrote never used lyrics to the instrumental ST theme to make sure he would get royalties every time it was played?

Is it true Gene Roddenberry wrote never used lyrics to the instrumental ST theme to make sure he would get royalties every time it was played?

Yes. Roddenberry’s lyrics added nothing to the value of the music and were created for no reason other than to usurp half the composer’s performance royalties.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/unthemely-behavior/
And those are the lyrics in the Project: Pimento recording above, so technically not "never used".

The best Star Trek music is if course the fight music originally used in Amok Time.

Last edited:
The best Star Trek music is if course the fight music originally used in Amok Time.

As a kid, if I was out of the room and I heard that music, I'd always run in to have a look.
I called it 'conflict music' and it was usually a signal that Kirk (or Spock) was fighting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it just me or are the even-numbered Star Trek films MUCH better than the odd-numbered ones?

That is a well known fact. It wasn't untill Abrams movies that they broke it by making two bad movies in a row.

Because Lower Decks is meant to be a comedy, therefore ridiculous, it's getting the spirit of the old episodes better than the new live action series. Because for all its noble intentions, Star Trek can be kind of silly. Anyway, unexpected Tom Paris this week. I don't suppose he has anything else to do.

Just seen Star Trek: First Contact, which I really enjoyed. Felt that the Borg Queen was an interesting baddie, although not at all the type I'd expect to be in charge of the Borg (which was probably the point).

James Cromwell's character was obviously supposed to be quirky, eccentric and amusing, but I just found him annoying.

I felt that there was one part that could have been done better though: when the alien lad pulls back his hood to reveal Vulcan ears, it's obviously supposed to be a big reveal, but by that point we've already seen Vulcanish robes, and a Vulcanny face, hairline and eyebrows. Better to have kept them in shadow till they get their ears out, in my opinion. I think that would have been more logical.

Just seen Star Trek: First Contact, which I really enjoyed. Felt that the Borg Queen was an interesting baddie, although not at all the type I'd expect to be in charge of the Borg (which was probably the point).

James Cromwell's character was obviously supposed to be quirky, eccentric and amusing, but I just found him annoying.

I felt that there was one part that could have been done better though: when the alien lad pulls back his hood to reveal Vulcan ears, it's obviously supposed to be a big reveal, but by that point we've already seen Vulcanish robes, and a Vulcanny face, hairline and eyebrows. Better to have kept them in shadow till they get their ears out, in my opinion. I think that would have been more logical.
One reason I enjoy this board is the cultural clash. James Cromwell's character is completely comprehensible to an American - we've all met him, we may even have had him as a teacher in college. And he has great taste in music.

'First Contact' is only mid-table on my list of favourites. It has some good bits of plot, but some parts drag on a bit, and some characters have too many lines IMO.
It could easily have about 20 minutes edited out of it and nobody would really notice.

Back