• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I think First Contact is probably my favourite of the Star Trek movies post the original crew. I find James Cromwell incredibly watchable in anything, but I think his character here could be considered annoying. He's an unwilling genius, putting mild barriers in the path of the stories resolution, but one never feels his reticence to be the architect of the future is any real threat. It feels outside of the narrative, so his antics are just a distraction from watching the drama with the Borg unfold. That's when a great actor playing a fun character can suddenly feel like a child making noise just to get your attention when you're trying to watch your favourite drama series, for example.

I think Cochrane was supposed to be annoying, a "don't meet your heroes" kind of scenario.
That's probably true, too. But it can be a fine line between a character being annoying just to other characters and being annoying to an audience who are there to enjoy themselves. Some people (like my mum) are turned off from watching something if she finds a character annoying. She can't stand Fawlty Towers, for example. My brother couldn't watch The Big Bang Theory because he found Sheldon annoying. I had to explain to him Sheldon's supposed to be annoying, then, shortly after a scene when Penny walked on the set, he realised what I meant and loves the series now. The point is, making a character who is at odds with other characters is a comedy and storytelling standard method, but making the audience still sympathetic to them takes a little more skill.

'First Contact' is only mid-table on my list of favourites. It has some good bits of plot, but some parts drag on a bit, and some characters have too many lines IMO.
It could easily have about 20 minutes edited out of it and nobody would really notice.
It's at the top of mine but it's very true that with Stewart playing a captain, his lines always do tend to go on and on. Everyone was entranced just listening to him.

I'm not a huge fan of First Contact. I tend to not like time travel stories generally, as they usually have a flaw in their logic, and this is no exception: we have to help history happen because we wouldn't be here if we didn't help ourselves into existence? Nonsense! While I objectively liked Cromwell's character - I've enjoyed his work since he was Stretch Cunningham on All in the Family - it deviated so much from the original portrayal of Cochrane (by Glenn Corbett in TOS's "Metamorphosis") that it effectively destroyed Trek continuity for me. Similarly, the film set up the Vulcans as guardians of Earth people's early ventures into interstellar space, when TOS seemed to imply that Humans took the lead in what became Federation space.

It's at the top of mine but it's very true that with Stewart playing a captain, his lines always do tend to go on and on. Everyone was entranced just listening to him.
I didn't have a problem with Patrick Stewarts lines. I think a lot could have been cut from quite a few of the other characters though.
'Riker' always has too much too say. And 'Data' and 'Geordie' (why-aye-man) too.

I'm not a huge fan of First Contact. I tend to not like time travel stories generally, as they usually have a flaw in their logic, and this is no exception: we have to help history happen because we wouldn't be here if we didn't help ourselves into existence? Nonsense! While I objectively liked Cromwell's character - I've enjoyed his work since he was Stretch Cunningham on All in the Family - it deviated so much from the original portrayal of Cochrane (by Glenn Corbett in TOS's "Metamorphosis") that it effectively destroyed Trek continuity for me. Similarly, the film set up the Vulcans as guardians of Earth people's early ventures into interstellar space, when TOS seemed to imply that Humans took the lead in what became Federation space.
They do try in 'Enterprise' to explain this. The Vulcans do help Earth but not really technologically for about 100 years. After that Earth takes the lead in forming the federation and exploring space which leads to Discovery, TOS, Next GEN etc etc

There is an episode from Enterprise which deals a bit with First Contact. Some left-over borg waking up and such.

They do try in 'Enterprise' to explain this. The Vulcans do help Earth but not really technologically for about 100 years. After that Earth takes the lead in forming the federation and exploring space which leads to Discovery, TOS, Next GEN etc etc
To me it feels like cleanup of a mess the creative team shouldn't have created in the first place. Enterprise and Discovery (which I've only seen a bit of) have plenty of their own continuity issues.

To me, the only way I can enjoy a Star Trek series is to accept that each exists in a slightly different alternate universe with its own history and rules. That goes for the TOS-based movies as a separate series as well.

To me it feels like cleanup of a mess the creative team shouldn't have created in the first place. Enterprise and Discovery (which I've only seen a bit of) have plenty of their own continuity issues.

To me, the only way I can enjoy a Star Trek series is to accept that each exists in a slightly different alternate universe with its own history and rules. That goes for the TOS-based movies as a separate series as well.
I haven't seen any series after about the first half of Voyager, but it's laughable now that that series is supposed to exist in the same universe as TOS, which portrays a future containing technology that is hilariously old fashioned even now.

To be honest, at this stage I just take every episode at face value and try not to connect it with what each of the other series in the wider star trek universe has done. I'm getting to old to worry about something in TOS that doesn't match Discovery and so on.

I had to explain to him Sheldon's supposed to be annoying, then, shortly after a scene when Penny walked on the set, he realised what I meant and loves the series now.

What a coincidence - that's about the same time I got interested in it!

Picard season 2 trailer:

More multiverse stuff, but I suppose ST was at it with the Mirror Universe in the 60s, so they're excused. Appears to be a completely different plot to season 1, so that's promising. A bit Voyage Home, mind.

Picard season 2 trailer:

More multiverse stuff, but I suppose ST was at it with the Mirror Universe in the 60s, so they're excused. Appears to be a completely different plot to season 1, so that's promising. A bit Voyage Home, mind.

Q, 7 of 9 AND time travel?

Bring it on!

Picard season 2 trailer:

It looks like a cross between Back to the Future Pt II and Voyage Home.

I’m a sucker for time travel from the future to the present like this.

Annie Wersching looks amazing as the Borg Queen as well.

That's probably true, too. But it can be a fine line between a character being annoying just to other characters and being annoying to an audience who are there to enjoy themselves. Some people (like my mum) are turned off from watching something if she finds a character annoying. She can't stand Fawlty Towers, for example. My brother couldn't watch The Big Bang Theory because he found Sheldon annoying. I had to explain to him Sheldon's supposed to be annoying, then, shortly after a scene when Penny walked on the set, he realised what I meant and loves the series now. The point is, making a character who is at odds with other characters is a comedy and storytelling standard method, but making the audience still sympathetic to them takes a little more skill.
My brother in law and a friend of mine both can’t stand The Big Bang Theory despite Penny’s attributes.

me and the Mrs eventually realised that it was because they are both very much like Sheldon in their own behaviour.

My brother in law and a friend of mine both can’t stand The Big Bang Theory despite Penny’s attributes.

me and the Mrs eventually realised that it was because they are both very much like Sheldon in their own behaviour.
I think I'm the 'Sheldon' among my friends and family. An ex of mine was complaining about some pedantic know-it-all at work and said she was like Sheldon. I said, 'I thought I was the Sheldon in your life.'
'Well, you are, but she's nearly as bad.'

I think I'm the 'Sheldon' among my friends and family. An ex of mine was complaining about some pedantic know-it-all at work and said she was like Sheldon. I said, 'I thought I was the Sheldon in your life.'
'Well, you are, but she's nearly as bad.'
I do have my own place on the sofa.

I do have my own place on the sofa.
So I see....
Couch-potato.jpg

Scenes like that are why I liked DS9.
Same here. I think the character development was much deeper and the plots more intricate and nuanced partly because the main setting was not a starship but something of a galactic oasis, so there was a lot less of blowing things up and much more intrigue. The acting was damn fine too. Garak was certainly an interesting character.

Same here. I think the character development was much deeper and the plots more intricate and nuanced partly because the main setting was not a starship but something of a galactic oasis, so there was a lot less of blowing things up and much more intrigue. The acting was damn fine too. Garak was certainly an interesting character.
I actually began to like Garak, even though he was a bit of a reptile.

Overall it has the largest proportion of talented actors of any of the series and it certainly makes a difference. My favorite of all the series. Only noticed recently that Garak, Andrew Robinson, got his start as the maniacal bad guy in one of the Clint Eastwood movies. I knew I had seen him somewhere

I'd love to get the box set of DS9 - but I may not get the time to watch it all.
Definitely the most entertaining of the Star Trek series.

Oh yes - and my favourite character was definitely Quark.

Back