• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I was somewhat surprised that we don't have a dedicated Star Trek thread--we do now.

I inaugurate it with these finds:

Yes, this album is by "Data" of Star Trek: The Next Generation. Brent sings mostly standards here, with the exception of one recent song by Randy Newman. Brent has a decent tenor voice, but he can't really sustain a note. Any time he tries to hold a note, there is quite a bit of vibrato. Not Tiny Tim level, to be sure, but still a bit distracting. The main fault with the album is that arrangements by Dennis McCarthy are rather dull and unimaginative. The two songs here that were arranged by John McKinney, on the other hand, are lively and fun. Too bad he didn't arrange the whole album. This album will appeal to Star Trek fans only. Trekkies will be especially interested in "It's a Sin (To Tell a Lie)", which features back-up vocals by LeVar Burton, Michael Dorn, Jonathan Frakes and Patrick Stewart, plus a recitation by Stewart.

Edit: My local NETFLIX has dumped pretty much everything ever made under the Star Trek banner over the last few months. I'm currently contemplating whether to watch the whole of TNG again. I have a passing familiarity with DS9 & the Original Series, but none of the others. If I watch episodes of TNG and the Simpsons after work each evening, it's going to be like re-living undergraduate life.

Last edited:
It's been playing up again. I'll go into the basement and kick it once more.

It's been playing up again. I'll go into the basement and kick it once more.
[Imagines Stu kicking an ancient, rusty machine festooned with dimly-glowing valves]

Has anybody seen the Klingons in the new Star Trek: Discovery series trailer?

They've gone through another metamorphosis. The last change was, eventually, said to be a product of genetic experimentation gone awry, so I wonder what excuse they'll come up with now.

Has anybody seen the Klingons in the new Star Trek: Discovery series trailer?

They've gone through another metamorphosis. The last change was, eventually, said to be a product of genetic experimentation gone awry, so I wonder what excuse they'll come up with now.

A third timeline, perhaps.

Just watched Prelude to Axanar--it was brilliant.

You haven't heard of Axanar before?!

Next you'll be telling me that you don't watch Star Trek Continues.

I'm not a Trekkie, but I watched quite a few repeats of the TOS with my father and all of TNG later as a teenager. Outside that, I have a fleeting (*buddum-tish*) familiariy with DS9 and nothing else at all. I don't think I've seen a single episode of Voyager or the Quantum Leap one.

I confess that half the appeal of Star Trek for me is nostalgia and I was notably underwhelmed by the first of the reboot films (haven't seen the others).

Edit: as a Blake's 7 fan and former LARPer, the low budgets of fan productions don't put me off much, but that Axanar production was professional.

Edit: as a Blake's 7 fan and former LARPer, the low budgets of fan productions don't put me off much, but that Axanar production was professional.

There's some really good, high-quality fan productions out there. If you like 2000AD, take a look at Judge Minty and Search/Destroy. For Star Wars fans there's TROOPS.

(So, which LARP did you do?)

There's some really good, high-quality fan productions out there. If you like 2000AD, take a look at Judge Minty and Search/Destroy. For Star Wars fans there's TROOPS.

(So, which LARP did you do?)

A number of local affairs--mostly fantasy but a smattering of Vampire The Masquerade.

I also went to Labyrinth in Chiselhurst Caves for a couple of years.

I'm a huge STTNG fan - for me, easily the best Star Trek incarnation.
The episode I watched last night though - Genesis, was shockingly poor. Apparently the only episode directed by Gates McFadden, it centres around the crew de-evolving to a primitive state. So Riker becomes a Neanderthal, Troi an amphibian, Worf some sort of Klingon tortoise and Barclay a spider (!). Data's cat Spot, gets swapped for an iguana (but you know it's still the cat, because it's still wearing its collar!). An awful, silly and sloppy episode. No wonder they didn't let Beverly Crusher direct after that! If anyone can think of a worse STTNG episode, please let me know.

If anyone can think of a worse STTNG episode, please let me know.

Oh that's too easy, 'Up The Long Ladder', the plucky crew happen upon a planet of 'Irish' folks who enjoy nothing more than drinking and singing and saying 'begorrah' (as all good Irish do). There's even a firey haired temptress for Riker to cop off with.

Oh that's too easy, 'Up The Long Ladder', the plucky crew happen upon a planet of 'Irish' folks who enjoy nothing more than drinking and singing and saying 'begorrah' (as all good Irish do). There's even a firey haired temptress for Riker to cop off with.

Yes! Terrible episode. I love The Simpsons episodes about the Irish but this was just paddywhackery!

I quite liked "Genesis", but thought "Up The Long Ladder" and "Shades Of Grey" were the worst things ever written for Star Trek.

It got quite interesting when the fiftieth shade of grey showed up.

My least favourite TNG episode, apart from the Klingon yawnfests, was The Inner Light, when Picard gets reincarnated as an extremely boring man with a boring wife and life, and has to live it out for decades all so this boring civilisation could let him know what a tedious grind their lost society was. Cheers for that.

It got quite interesting when the fiftieth shade of grey showed up.

My least favourite TNG episode, apart from the Klingon yawnfests, was The Inner Light, when Picard gets reincarnated as an extremely boring man with a boring wife and life, and has to live it out for decades all so this boring civilisation could let him know what a tedious grind their lost society was. Cheers for that.

I think that episode won awards.
I remember it being at least a little poignant.

Yes. It reminded me of when people recount their sometimes very complex other life narratives when they come round from a coma.

TNG at its worthy worst for me. Could have been written by Deanna. Mind you, I suppose it's preferable to those Ferengi episodes where she and her mum had to be naked, because that was "hilarious" apparently.

Put me down as another fan of The Inner Light. There are some other episodes of Trek that are well regarded that just don't work that well for me, though.

TNG at its worthy worst for me. Could have been written by Deanna. Mind you, I suppose it's preferable to those Ferengi episodes where she and her mum had to be naked, because that was "hilarious" apparently.

giphy.gif

Back