• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
The Disovery premieres on sunday. Let's hope it has some redeeming qualities.

Wow indeed. I want to see this just to check it out for myself.

Sounds like this is the Phantom Menace of Star Trek!

I wouldn't mind a look at it, but Netflix have their claws in it in the UK, I dunno, if it's not Sky it's that lot preventing me see the interesting stuff.

I watched the first two episodes on Netflix and wasn't impressed. It just didn't feel like Star Trek. Classic Trek was optimistic and fun, this was all doom and gloom.

STD really something you don't want then :eek

I've only seen clips and to be honest, it didn't inspire me to watch it

I enjoyed it. I thought Michelle Yeoh was good, and had a good chemistry with Sonequa Martin-Green which mirrored what you'd expect from the relationship between their characters. I liked Doug Jones as the much more alien than usual Science Officer. Sonequa Martin-Green was OK, but I think her character hasn't been properly developed.

Writing had some issues. I don't mind that they're going dark, it's a side of the Federation that I think can be explored. I think using Sarek is a mistake. Sarek is an important part of the Trek lore, but there were other Vulcans who might have been used. Best solution is to come up with a new one, and maybe refer to Sarek occasionally, but don't make him a major character. Even worse than using Sarek, though, was making him a kind of Deus Ex Machina Jiminy Cricket through a previously unseen consequence of the Vulcan Mind Meld. The same result could have been achieved in a number of ways that wouldn't have been as silly.

The setting is another problem. We're wedging a lot of history into a small period before TOS. They've kind of given themselves a definite end point. While I don't expect them to last 10 series, I think it's a mistake to set it so close to the original. A better solution, as many people have said, is to go after Voyager. That way you don't risk getting things out of order, and the apparently more advanced tech doesn't look out of place (but I do like that they have TOS era Phasers and Communicators). Why didn't they have those Holograms in TOS? (I mean apart from budget constraints, and the practicality of creating such an effect in 1966.)

Also, while I liked her performance, I did think Michelle Yeoh was woefully underused. It's nice she got a chance to do some acting for a change, but I was really disappointed that she gets into hand to hand combat with a Klingon, and you can hardly see anything.

I liked it also. Nice to see Michelle Yeoh doing something more nuanced. I could care less about how it fits into the "ST universe", it worked well for me and I'll keep watching.

This intro arty farty video's probably old news now then .. dunno .. as long as it's Whoopie Goldberg council committee light I might watch one of these ..

The intro didn't have a country song, what more cañ you ask for?

I enjoyed it. I read an article today where the creators explained that the first two episodes are to be seen as a prologue to the show proper. Apparently episode 3 sees a small jump forward in time and our heroine gets posted to the titular ship.

Lots of criticism online of the level of technology. Don’t understand this, as if the tech was made to look like it did in the 1960s it would be laughable. I think sometimes people can get too caught up in nostalgia.

Mark

I enjoyed it. I read an article today where the creators explained that the first two episodes are to be seen as a prologue to the show proper. Apparently episode 3 sees a small jump forward in time and our heroine gets posted to the titular ship.

Lots of criticism online of the level of technology. Don’t understand this, as if the tech was made to look like it did in the 1960s it would be laughable. I think sometimes people can get too caught up in nostalgia.

Mark
It's a delicate balance. Glitzing it up is OK, but introducing whole new tech (holographic communication, for example) is going a bit far. Still, as long as they don't go back to TOS and use CGI to replace the props and sets to match the new aesthetic. As you say, TOS was made in the 60s, and should be left as a 60s TV show. This is being made now, and should be made as a modern show.

Deanna Troi did spend most of TNG going "Wow, I think I'm freaking out..."

The visual effects of TOS have been updated with CGI, for the recent blu-ray releases....but not to replace anything, just update the effects as far as I know.

The same has been done with TNG, but DS9 can't get the same treatment... http://www.treknews.net/2017/02/02/why-ds9-voyager-not-on-blu-ray-hd/
I know some of the effects shots were, but I meant more like replacing the guns in E. T. with Walkie-Talkies, or having Boba Fett awkwardly walk into shot and out again, while a badly animated CGI alien replaces the human actor who was in the scene previously.

I understand the sales of the TOS and TNG remastered disks weren't high enough to convince them to do DS9 or V'GER. I'm torn between getting the TOS disks, or trying to get the old versions. Or just watching it on Netflix.

Deanna Troi did spend most of TNG going "Wow, I think I'm freaking out..."
There are clips on YouTube of Marina Sirtis at various Cons telling stories about making TNG, and she is bloody hilarious. I still don't like Troi as a character, though.

The visual effects of TOS have been updated with CGI, for the recent blu-ray releases....but not to replace anything, just update the effects as far as I know.

The same has been done with TNG, but DS9 can't get the same treatment... http://www.treknews.net/2017/02/02/why-ds9-voyager-not-on-blu-ray-hd/

It's jarring to watch the original series when they do that. Everything is 1967, and then suddenly you have all these incongruous CGI spaceships zipping around.

This was 1953:

This was 1933:

The best effects they could make, with all the skill and art of their time. Any modern attempts at "improvement" would seem very close to vandalism.

From the bits I've seen, the CGI effects are pretty feeble and make you think "that's really crap CGi", not how much of an improvement over the original model and optical effects they are.

There are clips on YouTube of Marina Sirtis at various Cons telling stories about making TNG, and she is bloody hilarious. I still don't like Troi as a character, though.

ezgif-2-59b86e0f37.gif

"As a character."

You're mad.

I've seen the first two episodes of Star Trek: Discovery. Just setting things up for the appearance of Discovery in Episode 3. New look Klingons. 7/10.

Yeah. Troi had far too much power for someone who was essentially a psychotherapist.

Back