• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Never liked any Star Trek apart from the Filmfair animated series. Classic Dr Who of 60s and 70s was far better.

I'm not a Star Trek fan and as such I haven't ever posted on this thread before.
...because I only believe in the One True Trek, The Original Series.

For me, it has be the proper 70s sideburns/flares/gannex/3-day week/Alf Garnett/South East Asia/Unions/Bay City rollerskates/Nixon of Dock Green/Brezhnev Woodbines/steam-smokey/sexism-redolant context. No CGI dabbling. No PC backstory backstops. The Real thing, in it's Real covers.

I want my doors pulled and pushed by stage-hands, I want ridiculous scenes with people falling about the place on the bridge in front of a flippy-floppy camera.

I want the guy in the red nylon top dead before I get my spaghetti hoops, I want a pair of these ears by bedtime, and I need Nurse Chapel to check my vital signs before I go to sleep.

Every scene, shot, sound, shake, smell....was amazing.

It never got better after TOS. It never could, and it never will. Everything else after it might nearly have almost, just about, equalled it slightly, sometimes.

But the original vibrant pastel/poster/powerful/integrated marvellous revelatory universal majesty that was (and always will be, in and of the decade of it's creation) is the eternal peak of shocking perfection. For me, the phasers were always set to stun, at my 60s/70s Star Fleet academy.

Yet here I am. Again
Ditto snap. Even just to silently-gloat as to how infinitely-perfect STTOS still is, in comparison with all that has ever followed.

Beam me up Mr Scott...and tell the Captain that the shuttlecraft can transport down the first of our off-duty crew to meet these beautiful harmless aliens, just as soon as I've downloaded my tricorder.

I've just started watching DS9--the first half a dozen episodes--and it's sound.

Darker, not goodies Vs baddies and an interesting setting.

At the time it was originally broadcast I was without a TV and only caught episodes here and there; now, with Netflix I can binge!

I've just started watching DS9--the first half a dozen episodes--and it's sound.

Darker, not goodies Vs baddies and an interesting setting.

At the time it was originally broadcast I was without a TV and only caught episodes here and there; now, with Netflix I can binge!

DS9 is the best Star Trek series ever made! Thoroughly perfect in every way!

Yeah. Troi had far too much power for someone who was essentially a psychotherapist.
And looked what happened when they let her drive the Enterprise in Generations.

And she crashed a completely different Enterprise in Nemesis! I don't think it was just Deanna Troi who was rubbish at the helm, Lt Stadi was the Betazoid at the helm of Voyager, and that ship ended up on the other side of the galaxy! Never, ever, ever put a Betazoid at the helm of any ship!

...because I only believe in the One True Trek, The Original Series.

For me, it has be the proper 70s sideburns/flares/gannex/3-day week/Alf Garnett/South East Asia/Unions/Bay City rollerskates/Nixon of Dock Green/Brezhnev Woodbines/steam-smokey/sexism-redolant context. No CGI dabbling. No PC backstory backstops. The Real thing, in it's Real covers.

I want my doors pulled and pushed by stage-hands, I want ridiculous scenes with people falling about the place on the bridge in front of a flippy-floppy camera.

I want the guy in the red nylon top dead before I get my spaghetti hoops, I want a pair of these ears by bedtime, and I need Nurse Chapel to check my vital signs before I go to sleep.

Every scene, shot, sound, shake, smell....was amazing.

It never got better after TOS. It never could, and it never will. Everything else after it might nearly have almost, just about, equalled it slightly, sometimes.

But the original vibrant pastel/poster/powerful/integrated marvellous revelatory universal majesty that was (and always will be, in and of the decade of it's creation) is the eternal peak of shocking perfection. For me, the phasers were always set to stun, at my 60s/70s Star Fleet academy.

Ditto snap. Even just to silently-gloat as to how infinitely-perfect STTOS still is, in comparison with all that has ever followed.

Beam me up Mr Scott...and tell the Captain that the shuttlecraft can transport down the first of our off-duty crew to meet these beautiful harmless aliens, just as soon as I've downloaded my tricorder.

Sounds like you've got TOS Fever!

:cheer:

And she crashed a completely different Enterprise in Nemesis! I don't think it was just Deanna Troi who was rubbish at the helm, Lt Stadi was the Betazoid at the helm of Voyager, and that ship ended up on the other side of the galaxy! Never, ever, ever put a Betazoid at the helm of any ship!
One of the videos of Sirtis is about getting to that bit in the script. She saw "Troi drives the Enterprise" and rang Michael Dorn in excitement. He calmly told her to read the next page and call him back.

I don't see what that has to do with her as a character.

It doesn't, I was joking.

I (humourously) meant that who needs 'character'? She's yummy!

:headspinner:

Transporting back to the CGI conversation...I've just found this:

TNG's Blu-ray release was a love letter to the fans and Mike Okuda was brought in to make sure that the remastering was of the highest quality. Because TV production practices of the 80's and 90's involved shooting on film but then scanning the footage onto videotape for editing, there were no completed reels that could be used. Instead, the original raw footage was restored and scanned in its entirety and editors then did a frame-by-frame recreation of each episode. Brand-new special effects were also commissioned as needed to to better fit in with the brighter and clearer images. The end result was universally praised for its quality, especially in comparison to the divisive nature of the Original Series' use of CGI to replace effects wholesale. Unfortunately, the TNG Blu-ray didn't sell well enough to warrant DS9 and Voyager receiving similar treatment.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Trivia/StarTrekTheNextGeneration

Have we gotten that out of our system now?

The male Betazoids were worse. They would attempt washing up and nearly fuck up their whole planet. Lots of empath... no common sense.
And they were always giving each other black eyes!

The 1970's rang and asked for their double-entendre back.
sid-james-paint-by-number-kit-256-p.jpg

I've just watched another batch, including the following episode.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captive_Pursuit

I wouldn't say I loved this one, but it was a 'classic' stand-alone episode: focused on one major character: O'Brien, based around cultural difference, misunderstanding and building cross-racial relationships--we've seen Star Trek doing this kind of sci-fi since the 60s.

"I have no use for fantasy adventure. I live the greatest adventure one could ever desire."

OBrien_and_Tosk.jpg

Glad you're enjoying DS9. I think it is the best of the series.

Still working through the first series and enjoying it.

I'd always thought that I only really got along with TNG--of which, without being an obsessive, I was very fond--but DS9 seems to have enough in common and enough difference to be really enjoyable. That said, it being early days, I haven't run into many 'story arc' episodes yet, although I'm looking forward to them.

The cast of characters is generally pretty good, but Odo and Quark are favourites. I think Bashir is supposed to be slightly irritating, which is... effective.

Still working through the first series and enjoying it.

I'd always thought that I only really got along with TNG--of which, without being an obsessive, I was very fond--but DS9 seems to have enough in common and enough difference to be really enjoyable. That said, it being early days, I haven't run into many 'story arc' episodes yet, although I'm looking forward to them.

The cast of characters is generally pretty good, but Odo and Quark are favourites. I think Bashir is supposed to be slightly irritating, which is... effective.
The story arcs mostly happened later on in the life of DS9, towards the end. Quark's my favourite.

Back