• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Well, there goes Discovery on a linking up note to end on, in case there isn't another season. I see it reverted to type by going all Star Trek holier than thou, but I appreciate peace more than war. Another link to the past: a green Clint Howard! All growed up! Only he wasn't green first time around. Please make him be in the new Star Wars Solo movie...

Well, there goes Discovery on a linking up note to end on, in case there isn't another season. I see it reverted to type by going all Star Trek holier than thou, but I appreciate peace more than war. Another link to the past: a green Clint Howard! All growed up! Only he wasn't green first time around. Please make him be in the new Star Wars Solo movie...

Back in March or April 2019 I believe.

Just watching "Remember Me" now.

Wow! Up there with my top 5 ever STTNG (by far the best series) episodes.

You need home ambiance?

I give you an eight-hour background recording of the U.S.S. Enterprise from the Next Generation:

So it's come to this: The Federation against Islamic State! With none too subtle allusions to real world atrocities! Not sure how tasteful that is, but this is giddier than the usual ST series. Touch of The Genesis Project in there, too.
I binged it a couple of weeks ago. I liked it a lot - do agree about the indoctrination bit, especially having Shazad Latif as the affected one (although it was all I could do to not shout "I hear you, Clem Fandango" whenever he appeared.)

I do want to see why the spore drive is clearly discontinued by the time we get to Kirk's era.

Soothing engine sounds is all well and good, but how should it be played? I would suggest with this Enterprise speaker from Thinkgeek:

kgmh_st_tng_1201d_speaker_inuse.jpg

I would also be tempted to play some dialogue from the series, with a higher pitch. To make it seem like there is a minituarized crew inside.

I believe it's because the writers back in the 1960s hadn't though of it.
Ah! That'd be It.

That's actually part of what I want to see. There's not even any mention, glimpse or passing reference to it in any (chronological) future series. A few decades on Voyager could have got back to the Alpha Quadrant in hours rather than years, but nobody mentions spores: this implies an innate reason within the Discovery arc that the spore drive is not only discontinued but effectively erased from scientific knowledge. The writers must have thought about it from the start - everything else meshes perfectly well. If they needed transit to alternate universes etc there's always wormholes, anomalies... giant green hands.. Q even, who could then blot the memory and thus be a surprise when they show up in TNG. But instead spores - so I want to see where they go with It, in both senses of the phrase.

Last edited:
Ah! That'd be It.

That's actually part of what I want to see. There's not even any mention, glimpse or passing reference to it in any (chronological) future series. A few decades on Voyager could have got back to the Alpha Quadrant in hours rather than years, but nobody mentions spores: this implies an innate reason within the Discovery arc that the spore drive is not only discontinued but effectively erased from scientific knowledge. The writers must have thought about it from the start - everything else meshes perfectly well. If they needed transit to alternate universes etc there's always wormholes, anomalies... giant green hands.. Q even, who could then blot the memory and thus be a surprise when they show up in TNG. But instead spores - so I want to see where they go with It, in both senses of the phrase.
I rather suspect we just won't hear about it again, which is disappointing, but I'm prepared to let them have it, because keeping it around not only doesn't fit in with previous series, it's also bad for story telling. You wind up having to come up with excuses for not using it in order to create drama.

As for Voyager, it could probably have got home in under a month, based on previous statements about warp speeds, and how far they had travelled.
See this.
That's just carelessness on the writers' part.

EDIT: Just checked the maths again, and TOS warp factors were supposed to be the cube root of the actual speed, and that doesn't work out with the TOS figures given, either. Actually, it works out closer with the VOY figures - 70000 Light Years taking 75 Years would be (roughly) a Warp Factor of 9.77, which is relatively close to 9.975. On the other hand, Warp Factor 10 is supposed to be infinite, so it's presumably not based on the cube.

Last edited:
VOY did attempt warp 10. I think we'd all rather forget that episode.

Let us hope it doesn't cause a tear in the spacetime continuum. Jadzia did fancy Spock as I recall. May they live long and, you know, do really well.

Has anybody been following the development of STAGE 9?

I'm pretty impressed.

It looks like a model from the Ralph McQuarrie design that's now the basis for the Discovery. The original design, and the Disco, replaced the secondary hull with one shaped like the Federation insignia. That seems to be a variation on the basic design.

It's not a good design, although I do think they've made it work, after a fashion, on ST:DISCO. That seems to be a particularly ugly version of it, though.

That's definitely based on the Ralph McQuarrie design - remember seeing it an article on the making of Star Trek: The Motion Picture probably in Starlog, a while before the film came out, as a rejected concept.
It'd be interesting to know the provenance of the model, is it actually a maquette for Star Trek Planet of the Titans. Star Trek Phase II, ST:TMP, or one of the other films or series, or is is something put together by a fan, or a professional model builder as part of a pitch for work on Star Trek.

Enterprise.jpg

That's definitely based on the Ralph McQuarrie design - remember seeing it an article on the making of Star Trek: The Motion Picture probably in Starlog, a while before the film came out, as a rejected concept.
It'd be interesting to know the provenance of the model, is it actually a maquette for Star Trek Planet of the Titans. Star Trek Phase II, ST:TMP, or one of the other films or series, or is is something put together by a fan, or a professional model builder as part of a pitch for work on Star Trek.

View attachment 10134
Starlog magazine was brilliant, almost as good as the mighty Cinemagic magazine .. back in the days before it was 'hip' to be a nerd ..

This indy sci-fi film has numerous veteran Star Trek actors:
5th Passenger is set in the aftermath of an oppressive class war, Miller, a pregnant officer aboard an escape pod must struggle to survive with her remaining crew when a mysterious and vicious life form attacks, determined to become the dominant species. The film unites several fan-favorite Star Trek cast members including Doug Jones (The Shape of Water, Star Trek: Discovery, Pan's Labyrinth, Hellboy, Hellboy 2) Tim Russ (Star Trek: Voyager, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine), Marina Sirtis (Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: First Contact, Star Trek: Generations), and Armin Shimerman (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, The Hitcher and Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time).

This is an oldish link so apologies if it's been posted already .. someone demonstrating their home made working phaser ..

Back