• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Yes much discussion of this in the Times comments. Turns out that the "new" patch is heavily derived from an existing air force patch, which itself was then derived from the Federation logo. Not possible of course that the designers didn't know what they were doing. In the discussion someone brought up the possibility of royalties due, but I think a better course would be for the current owners (I've lost track) to put out a statement saying how proud they are that the US is publicizing its commitment to a future of the ST principles of peace, tolerance, inquiry and non-aggression.

Picard episode 1.

I was not expecting it to be such a direct sequel, lots to geek out over. SirPatStew was fantastic (was there ever any doubt?) and the dog's name is obvious but brilliant at the same time. Can't wait for next week - and that's a novelty nowadays.

Picard episode 1.

I was not expecting it to be such a direct sequel, lots to geek out over. SirPatStew was fantastic (was there ever any doubt?) and the dog's name is obvious but brilliant at the same time. Can't wait for next week - and that's a novelty nowadays.

But did you think Data was fat or not? Let's get to the nub of the matter.

But did you think Data was fat or not? Let's get to the nub of the matter.
Brent Spiner has a weird puffy eye thing going on which the makeup doesn't quite cover up. He's nailing the character, though (hardly surprising), and they can get around it by keeping him in dream sequences only.

Bit of a contrast with the disassembled B4 in the drawer, which is clearly the original cast taken of Spiner from 20 or so years ago.

His face looked fat in the trailer but less so in the finished show...he definitely didn't look chubby when he was painting outdoors.

Even dream androids fill out over 20 years though I guess.

For all of you who are lucky enough to be unclear about this, by the time you reach your mid-70's there will be flesh added and subtracted in various places. I'm sure they put a lot of work in on Mr. Spiner, who's a real trouper in any case. Think of it that he's trying to experience humanity. Or I guess he's dead so that won't work, surprised they didn't smooth with CGI if it's a problem.

Watched Nemesis again last night in preparation for Picard.

I was 100% convinced that right at the end, there was a shot of Data's head floating through space. It wasn't there! I even watched the entire credits in case it was in there somewhere. But no.

So did I completely make it up, or was it edited out of some versions? I guess it could be upsetting for some viewers. The version I watched was on Sky Cinema.

Just finished watching it. I played back the explosion of the Scimitar a couple of times - there's lots of slo-motion debris flying around, but nothing identifiable as Data body parts.
A much-maligned movie, but I enjoyed it more this time around. The battle sequence between Shinzon and the Enterprise and Romulans is up there with the best ever in ST. Only realised this viewing that Shinzon's envoy was the legendary Ron Perlman!

Picard episode 2: Just get on with it! Get Jean-Luc in a spaceship and get his ass to Mars, or the cube, or wherever! Far too early to have an episode marking time, I hope this doesn't suffer from Netflix Too Many Episodes syndrome.

Also: a big swear in Star Trek? Totally unnecessary.

Picard episode 2: Just get on with it! Get Jean-Luc in a spaceship and get his ass to Mars, or the cube, or wherever! Far too early to have an episode marking time, I hope this doesn't suffer from Netflix Too Many Episodes syndrome.

Also: a big swear in Star Trek? Totally unnecessary.

I was a bit surprised at the f-word too! Guess they're really aiming Picard at the older market.

One little detail I found amusing :

4EFf9Gw.jpg

Enjoyed it.
I was a bit surprised at the f-word too! Guess they're really aiming Picard at the older market.

One little detail I found amusing :

4EFf9Gw.jpg

That was a lovely touch!

Anyone else feel that Picard's Romulan housekeeper Ramdha is gradually morphing into Mrs Doyle from Father Ted?

Yes much discussion of this in the Times comments. Turns out that the "new" patch is heavily derived from an existing air force patch, which itself was then derived from the Federation logo. Not possible of course that the designers didn't know what they were doing. In the discussion someone brought up the possibility of royalties due, but I think a better course would be for the current owners (I've lost track) to put out a statement saying how proud they are that the US is publicizing its commitment to a future of the ST principles of peace, tolerance, inquiry and non-aggression.
Nah, USAF Space Command's logo dates to 1982, and really doesn't look like any of the Star Trek logos that came before it. Also the logo used by the Enterprise crew in TOS was probably based on the even older NASA logos which were created in the 1950s. Mike Okuda(who did the TNG and DS9 era logos) said of the DS9 Starfleet logo: "The symbol was intended to be somewhat reminiscent of the NASA emblem."

Just finished watching it. I played back the explosion of the Scimitar a couple of times - there's lots of slo-motion debris flying around, but nothing identifiable as Data body parts.
A much-maligned movie, but I enjoyed it more this time around. The battle sequence between Shinzon and the Enterprise and Romulans is up there with the best ever in ST. Only realized this viewing that Shinzon's envoy was the legendary Ron Perlman!
Yeah it's weird that such a prominent character played by a big-name actor is simply called "Reman viceroy" in the credits. The book uses the name Vkruk though. Good name for a Reman. :D

I think you're right, the ST does look like a NASA logo. Interesting that it's been totally culturally appropriated into the ST world and not even the the guy who posted in the Times knew where his patch derived from.

I could also have done without the f-word. I blame Discovery for that.
I'd say the stylised fighting was meant to be out of place. To show the "stylised" nature of the one who is fighting.

Finally, Jean-Luc gets going into space! In the last five seconds of the episode. Whoopee. This is crawling along, and after the goodwill I felt at the first episode it's getting quite unappealing. But I'll stick with it, because it's Star Trek, and Sir Patrick is a top bloke - there must a good reason he signed up for it. Patience!

Finally, Jean-Luc gets going into space! In the last five seconds of the episode. Whoopee. This is crawling along, and after the goodwill I felt at the first episode it's getting quite unappealing. But I'll stick with it, because it's Star Trek, and Sir Patrick is a top bloke - there must a good reason he signed up for it. Patience!

Yes. The pace is certainly way slower than we're used to with Star Trek, but when Picard issued his legendary "engage" command, all was forgiven.
I suspect there will be a dramatic acceleration of events when the three main plot threads (Picard and chums, corruption at the head of the Federation and the Romulan/Borg thing) start to twist together.

Having trouble sleeping last night, I started turning over in my mind why I wasn't getting on with this new series, way less than Discovery (which it has its problems too, I suppose). It's undercutting Picard at every turn, from the news that he resigned from Star Fleet by mistake (!) to Star Fleet itself, which he previously had so much faith in, now being the villains. Maybe this will contrast with heroism later on, but it's damaging the character too much.

Also, the pilot of his new ship is a ridiculous macho cliché - he could easily have healed that wound, but no, he's too hard for that so continues to bleed instead. There's no real humour to the tone, even though Star Trek humour can be pretty corny, there's none of it here. Then there's ST's Irish problem looming with the twin holograms. And the whole thing looks like it's lit by open fridge doors, the art design is horribly gloomy and joyless.

Plus, almost everyone in it is an arsehole apart from a handful of characters who are presented as naïve because they're not arseholes, and therefore unworldly. That's Twitter troll level bullshit. Lastly, they're eking out the information about what is actually going on so meagrely that it's difficult to follow: the amount of made-up jargon we're supposed to keep up with is infuriating.

It's early days, but not as early as all that. I hope it will improve.

Even though the movie Logan was praised, it was about seeing your childhood heroes broken and dragged through the mud. I hope this won't be similar.

Even though the movie Logan was praised, it was about seeing your childhood heroes broken and dragged through the mud. I hope this won't be similar.

Yes, that's a very astute comparison! I didn't like Logan because it was a poor way to send off a couple of great characters, especially Professor X. Mind you, Picard has already been renewed for a second season, so presumably they won't be seeing him off yet.

HUGH!

He could have had more fanfare.

The only reason I recognised him was because he'd been mentioned in passing in one of the press releases. I thought of all the actors to be called back he was a weird choice, but now it makes more sense having seen it.

Indeed.
Think I will have to rewatch "I, Borg" to remind myself of what should be canon in this storyline.

Here you go... from here.

5. Hugh Returns
Though he doesn't get much in the way of introduction, we meet a returning character from The Next Generation in Star Trek: Picard's third episode: Hugh. Jean-Luc and the Enterprise crew discovered Hugh when he was a young Borg drone after his ship crashed, killing the other Borg drones aboard. Picard and his crew rescued Hugh with the intention of sending him back to the collective with a sort of computer virus that could destroy the Borg Collective, wiping out a mortal threat to the Federation--but during the course of his time with them, Hugh developed individuality. Picard abandoned the plan to destroy the Borg and offered to let him stay aboard the Enterprise, but Hugh opted to return to the Borg so that the Enterprise wouldn't be discovered.
Hugh's return to the Borg threw the Collective into disarray as his individuality spread to other drones. The resulting confusion left the Borg vulnerable to outside influences--which is when Data's brother, Lore, found them. Lore talked the Borg into following him as he led them toward a goal on a path to become fully artificial. Eventually, the Enterprise crew discovered the Borg and found Hugh again, who helped them stop Lore.
Afterward, it was suggested that Hugh would become the leader of the freed Borg. We don't know what's happened since then, but it seems Hugh eventually had his implants removed and his humanity restored. It sounds like he had a hard time reintegrating into society, however.

This is a recurring theme with Wolverine stories though, so I kinda expected it. Apparently he's almost as insane as Batman.

I'm detecting an unwelcome trend in ST Picard where the reason to watch the episode is left till the final five seconds of action, and the rest is boring conversation. Romulan macho bollocks looks suspiciously like Klingon macho bollocks from this angle.

Pretty slow compared to discovery but at least it has connections to past treks, never been a fan of prequels (apart from enterprise which was good) that was the last proper trek show. hope picard improves as it progresses.

still watching discovery when s3 airs but picard seems better right now.

hope the borg show up properly at some point, be a waste to not have them appear.

Jeri Ryan still looks the part though doesn't she?
Loving the gradual reveal and oodles of earlier ST nostalgia.
Not absolutely sure I can buy the Romulan samurai thing though.

Back