• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Well, a bit of progress this week, but all the women in this show seem to be mightily pissed off. Also some very horrible pseudo-Scottishness getting in the way.

Indeed. The Rios holograms sequence was pretty cringeworthy. I was pleased by the sheer number of revelations in this episode though. Also seeing 7 of 9 going full-on Borg and Picard being told to STFU were priceless moments.
Next Friday's should be a biggie!

One thing I personally don't get is why most characters are so eager to get rid of their cybernetics. Sure, it is something that can cause problems, but it's also something useful.

One thing I personally don't get is why most characters are so eager to get rid of their cybernetics. Sure, it is something that can cause problems, but it's also something useful.

Borg implants are a reminder of the most traumatic time in their lives, I guess. Borgification was forced upon them. Can't begin the mental healing process and regain one's humanity until it's gone.

Borg implants are a reminder of the most traumatic time in their lives, I guess. Borgification was forced upon them. Can't begin the mental healing process and regain one's humanity until it's gone.
I can understand why SOME people would feel that way, but I don't think everyone would. Obviously Picard does, but is he a typical ex-Borg?

Last edited:
The Irish accent was one of the worst I've ever heard, closely followed by Mr Cartoon Scotsman. The English one was OK actually.

Last edited:
Maybe he can be persuaded to do one of the series' gratuitous swears in his "Scottish" accent. The true test.

If he can say a deep, rolling "ARRRRRRRSE" like a drunken Glaswegian he's passed.

Oh gawd, planet of the toga partying Utopians, did we not have enough of them in all the earlier Treks? And now we're supposed to be teary eyed because they've brought up Picard's terminal illness, which presumably Brent Spiner will cure. Big fight next week. Hey ho, this was a nice idea in theory.

some have speculated that the terminal illness is an excuse to swap Picard's mind to a new body, thus letting them re-cast the character.

some have speculated that the terminal illness is an excuse to swap Picard's mind to a new body, thus letting them re-cast the character.

Aka regeneration, like Doctor Who?

I'm not a gamer, but apparently the whole Picard series rips off the plot of Mass Effect 3 (think that's right). So they have form in copying other stuff.

Aka regeneration, like Doctor Who?
kinda of, at least in terms of the impact it has on the story.
I'm not a gamer, but apparently the whole Picard series rips off the plot of Mass Effect 3 (think that's right). So they have form in copying other stuff.
All the Mass Effect comparisons I've seen were rather shallow.

The funniest is the DBZ comparisons. This show uses a very "flexible" way of defining "android". Some of the characters are basically Humans with partially cybernetic brains. In Dragon Ball Z this was a translation issue. The Japanese original used a term that basically translates as "artificial person". It applies to any person who isn't natural. It can be full androids(13, 19), cyborgs(17, 18, 20), clones(Bio-Broly), or genetically engineered people(Cell). But that's not the way it normally works in works where the original language is English. Heck, Terminators are not androids! They're cyborgs, even though most of them is machine.

Oh yeah, technically Picard is a cyborg, since he has a mechanical heart. :p Well assuming all the Borg bits were removed. When he was Locutus he had a lot of Borg bits...

So at least one of the hippy-commune androids is capable of positronic brain to organic brain telepathy? That's... convenient.

(It's supposedly possible in the ST universe anyway : https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Telepathy#Telepathy_and_technology )

Question : If these new synths have "flesh and blood" bodies, how come Dahj was able to leap huge distances? Is the flesh some kind of super-augment? It's well beyond the ability of even the strongest humanoid races.

Yeah, there ARE examples in Star Trek of telepathic computers, so a telepathic android isn't an impossibility. That's not a known feature of positronic matrixes though. And this is done by someone who apparently has few mechanical parts other than the matrix.

EDIT: there WAS a case in DS9 where Julian Bashir removed part of the brain of a dying Bajoran and replaced it with a Positronic Matrix in a last ditch effort to prevent the man from dying of brain damage. This didn't really work as the rest of his brain died soon after. It also didn't give him any super powers, merely made him moreose.

And there you go. I'm glad the ST fans got Picard back for a series, and it was nice to see him, but this was mediocre at best. Maybe they should have gone for something more radical, this was real have your cake and eat it too material. If they had the courage of their convictions, they'd have let Robo-Cthulu out of the hole, but nope. At least this finale felt a bit more like a ST episode, but that was a drawback too. Reset button and all that. Plus trying to see how much swearing they could get away with was weirdly juvenile. There's something to fix in season 2.

And there you go. I'm glad the ST fans got Picard back for a series, and it was nice to see him, but this was mediocre at best. Maybe they should have gone for something more radical, this was real have your cake and eat it too material. If they had the courage of their convictions, they'd have let Robo-Cthulu out of the hole, but nope. At least this finale felt a bit more like a ST episode, but that was a drawback too. Reset button and all that. Plus trying to see how much swearing they could get away with was weirdly juvenile. There's something to fix in season 2.

Yeah, it's pretty hard work.

My thought on Picard was he was actually in a care home about to die and they were beaming in one last great adventure into his head to give him a nice send off reuniting him with old friends but weird shit got into the program causing glitches like the bar scene and the avatars popping up on the bridge.

I haven’t watched any since then but I think that’s a better story.

Weirdly, you're kind of right, except it was Data getting the adventures beamed into his consciousness.

You’re kidding.

Well, since Picard was dying, I guess the theme was death, so Data's consciousness wanted to die and told Picard's consciousness that death makes life more precious. Which was presumably why Picard died, everyone cried, then they immediately brought him back to life as if nothing had happened, even thought he's supposed to be ninety-bloody-four years old in the show.

I'm more interested in the last second revelation that Seven of Nine had suddenly become a lesbian, which she was taking more seriously than being the Borg Queen who let thousands of her subjects die with no consequences.

Or that if you murder someone, it's fine if you share a few quips with Picard, nobody will be bothered after that.

Or if you're a refugee from a war zone, eh, you've brought it on yourself because you'll turn evil the first chance you get.

Stuff like that. Season 2 has a mountain to climb.

Well, I've kind of liked the series, although it didn't really live up to what I'd hoped, but that ending really sucked.

I suppose they had to keep it going for the second series, but they really were trying to have their big tragic ending, and still keep the show alive (sorry) for another series.

Other questions:
Why didn't they give Picard a younger body? Was James MacAvoy not available? (Yes I was saving that joke up.)

Back