• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
To be fair, if she has that creepy blue-haired bloke living inside her head, she probably is a "they".

After last week's enjoyable episode, this felt like a bit of a squandered opportunity.
Hoots of derision at the David v Goliath space shoot-out that made Star Wars seem believable.
It could have been a TNG plot transplanted wholsesale ("Prime Directive, Prime Directive, Prime Directive. OK, send a shuttlecraft and muller it.")

Jonathon Frakes directed - coincidence?

Watched The Cage, the original Star Trek pilot from 1965, It feels like an SF film from the late 50s, early 60s, Forbidden Planet was likely an influence. Still quite entertaining. 63 minutes running time. 8/10.

Also watched Whom Gods Destroy, Star Trek, Season 3. Kirk and Spock visit an Institution for the Criminally Insane little knowing that the lunatics have taken over the asylum. Their leader is a former Star Fleet Captain who now thinks he's the rightful Galactic Emperor. It may have been inspired by Clans of the Alphane Moon, an 1964 novel by Philip K. Dick. 8/10.

Just watched the latest episode of Discovery. And just about forgotten it. There was something about someone declaring their pronouns (as if they wouldn’t have been previously mentioned by HR, seeing as pronouns are so important) and a cello and piano duet and then some little ship took out a fully-tooled up enemy ship everyone was scared of but after that I couldn’t really find it within me to give one shit. A bit like the writers of this show I feel.

I believe that the pronouns bit was added due to the actor not being out as non-binary at the start of filming. They’d not even come out to their parents. It did feel a little shoe-horned in though.

the episode itself felt very early TNG to me.

Overall I enjoyed it. These days if something has entertained me then I don’t worry that much about the flaws. Things are never going to measure up to what I see in my head.

The only show that has constantly surprised me recently, and made me excited for the next episode is The Mandalorean.

There was a time when people could pretend, when the actor and character could be different. Whatever happened to that?

There was a time when people could pretend, when the actor and character could be different. Whatever happened to that?
Nothing happened to it per se, but there was a long time where people with lived experience lost out on roles to people without. It was especially noticeable with disabled characters but it's changing. It has been mis-charaterised as virtue signalling, but McKellen made the point that provided the actor can do the role justice then preference should be given to those who understand the part on a personal level: you don't see white actors blacking-up to play Othello any more, so why should other minority roles be different?

Strange that Mirror Universe stories are more fun than Klingon episodes, despite not being that dissimilar. Maybe it's seeing the cast let their hair down and play it differently that does the trick. Anyway, best episode of Discovery for a while.

enjoyed tonight’s episode. No idea where it’s going, but it was enjoyable all the same. Are we going to see
lorca
next week?

enjoyed tonight’s episode. No idea where it’s going, but it was enjoyable all the same. Are we going to see
lorca
next week?
Kind of hope so, but if we don't, I guess we'll get by.

Now I know that this is all taking place in Georgiou's head, or that tree on Dagobah or behind the Green Door or something, but I was kind of hoping
Georgiou was going to force the Kelpiens, particularly Saru, to go through vahar'ai, and have a private army with poison darts in their necks to take over as her personal guard.

Just watched it, agree it's a lot crisper this week. Maybe they've learnt that overriding arcs are fine so long as they don't interfere with current storylines, and that with regard to the latter you need to get on with it.

Strange that Mirror Universe stories are more fun than Klingon episodes, despite not being that dissimilar. Maybe it's seeing the cast let their hair down and play it differently that does the trick. Anyway, best episode of Discovery for a while.

Agreed. Some welcome hat-tips to "Mirror Mirror" from TOS too.

Still not enough goatees for my liking. And I was less impressed with "Killy"'s hairstyle this time, the one from Season 1 looked better. But Sonequa Martin Green did look good in her Imperial gear.

The alt/evil federation or what it is is very silly. (I'm not really paying much attention to it when it's on)

Where are their Health and Safety people? You can't just try and kill each other. I don't think any empire would have been successful if their people are knifing each other every 5 minutes on the deck of a space ship. Who's going to unblock the toilets and fix the lift?

Many cultures quickly curbed dueling as it was just stupid. The European aristocracy only allowed it to go on as most of the people involved were pretty pointless anyway.

I mean if cleaner private Jones knifes Warp drive Engineer Smith then you've lost a lot of training investment for a starter, as a team leader, I'd be pissed off as to how am I'm going to explain that to HR.

Think of the paperwork.

Not to mention actually running the ship.

Last edited:
"Sonequa Martin Green did look good in her Imperial gear."

My initial thought was that those uniforms were third-hand recycled from Starship Troopers and the Firefly Alliance.
Grey/black Third Reich styling is something of a cliché (as was the Anders Breivik salute).
Going to be interesting to see how long Phillipa Giorgiou can keep up the full-on Servelan pretence.

Watched Part II last night. The most annoying thing was that a podcast I listen to was right about pretty much everything.
They predicted that a) This was going to be how they wrote Georgiou out of the series so she could be in the Section 31 series, and 2) that Carl was the Guardian of the Edge of Forever.

You know when you made a big fuss of the guy from accounts on his leaving do and you all had a whip round and you stuck your hand in your wallet to buy him some nice stuff for a leaving present and then went to his leaving do and bought him flaming sambucas and were all nice and bouncy to see him off?
And then he reappears back in the company a few months later?

This last STD is what that’s going to be.

Crikey, they made a meal of that. I know Michelle is a solid gold legend, but she's never struck me as one who stood on ceremony, and the fawning was getting embarrassing by the end. Plus we're really no further in the plot, it was just an extended goodbye. And more bloody crying! A letdown after last week's.

Nothing happened to it per se, but there was a long time where people with lived experience lost out on roles to people without. It was especially noticeable with disabled characters but it's changing. It has been mis-charaterised as virtue signalling, but McKellen made the point that provided the actor can do the role justice then preference should be given to those who understand the part on a personal level: you don't see white actors blacking-up to play Othello any more, so why should other minority roles be different?
This is an important point. But there’s a major point about actors where they may have to portray different personalities within a story arc. And here it has to be said that Evil Tilly was just Normal Tilly with heavier eye make up. Not quite the range. The problem with individually chosen pronouns in a tense combat scenario would lead to confusion.
‘They. Move over there and there and form a pincer movement’.
‘What? There’s only one of us.’
’HR says THEY’. Don’t fuck this up’.

Crikey, they made a meal of that. I know Michelle is a solid gold legend, but she's never struck me as one who stood on ceremony, and the fawning was getting embarrassing by the end. Plus we're really no further in the plot, it was just an extended goodbye. And more bloody crying! A letdown after last week's.

The whole series has been a desperate fumbling woke mess.

The hat-tips to TOS were the best thing about the series and the City on the Edge of Forever was one of the most enjoyable episodes from the Kirk era.
A shame if Philllipa's gone for good, as she was my favourite character by some distance.

The hat-tips to TOS were the best thing about the series and the City on the Edge of Forever was one of the most enjoyable episodes from the Kirk era.
A shame if Philllipa's gone for good, as she was my favourite character by some distance.
I don't watch STD (did anyone brain-check this title before they decided on it?) because CBS billed me for 2 accounts and I asked them to correct and they cancelled both, which I decided was karma, but I'm getting the gist. There is no death on any ST. If nothing else there is CGI. But Yeoh was one of the few competent performers in seasons 1 and 2, really a delight to watch, and I am much less likely to re-subscribe if she's gone. But hell, even STE lasted a few years with no redeeming virtues except Phlox and the beagle. And just to throw this in - am I the only person who was really bored by City on the Edge? It's a little futile to argue TOS scripts - so old with different television that if you didn't live it you have no tolerance, but honest, so pretentious.

But it used to be good.

It was also always "woke", pursuing progressive values that they thought would improve the future. That 1960s optimism rarely leaves it, and when it does it goes worse than anything promoting teh libs. For instance, TNG had a therapist as part of the bridge crew, not something many Navies feature to this day.

I don't watch STD (did anyone brain-check this title before they decided on it?) because CBS billed me for 2 accounts and I asked them to correct and they cancelled both, which I decided was karma, but I'm getting the gist. There is no death on any ST. If nothing else there is CGI. But Yeoh was one of the few competent performers in seasons 1 and 2, really a delight to watch, and I am much less likely to re-subscribe if she's gone. But hell, even STE lasted a few years with no redeeming virtues except Phlox and the beagle. And just to throw this in - am I the only person who was really bored by City on the Edge? It's a little futile to argue TOS scripts - so old with different television that if you didn't live it you have no tolerance, but honest, so pretentious.

Harlan Ellison, who wrote it, didn't like City either, but that was because his teleplay was rewritten to make it less contentious (and stupider, according to HE). I like it because it has Joan Collins in it.

For instance, TNG had a therapist as part of the bridge crew, not something many Navies feature to this day.
Heck, in one episode, the therapist gets to take command of the ship!

Back