• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
A handy timeline reference chart for every incarnation of Star Trek:

star.JPG

A friend of mine posted onto her faceybooky that she was going to spend Christmas day watching 'All the Star Trek films".
I pointed out that it would take quite some time, probably the best part of 2 days, and that's assuming that as soon as she gets up in the morning she starts watching them immediately and continues until bedtime, without breaks.
Her reply "???? There's only 3 though - the first one when Spocks mother gets killed when Vulcan is destroyed, then 'Into Darkness', and Star Trek Beyond???"
When I explained her error she was totally unaware of any of the preceding films. She was aware of older TV series, but not the films.
How is that?

A friend of mine posted onto her faceybooky that she was going to spend Christmas day watching 'All the Star Trek films".
I pointed out that it would take quite some time, probably the best part of 2 days, and that's assuming that as soon as she gets up in the morning she starts watching them immediately and continues until bedtime, without breaks.
Her reply "???? There's only 3 though - the first one when Spocks mother gets killed when Vulcan is destroyed, then 'Into Darkness', and Star Trek Beyond???"
When I explained her error she was totally unaware of any of the preceding films. She was aware of older TV series, but not the films.
How is that?
Well, that just proves that she's not that much of a Star Trek fan, I think.

Possibly. But she seemed quite keen to see the other films though, once aware of them.
I will have to follow it up with her next time we speak.
I think I'll recommend that she watches them in order of release, but with one finger hovering over the FFWD button for long parts of "The Motion Picture" (how was that not ever edited down to about 45 minutes?)

Tell her about the cartoons too.

I refuse to acknowledge the existence of the aforementioned animated variety

<fingers in ears>

LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALAAAAAA

I can't hear you!

All I can add is a fond memory of table-top role-playing the FASA game (of which - stated before - I got given and read and review the entire output):
Away Team (not called this 'cause it was before Next Generation an' all that) investigates an apparently deserted mining colony, where bulk cargo is sent via a maglev projector. The team find a *gasp* Klingon disruptor pistol:
Vulcan Security Officer: "A Klingon weapon? Klingons are involved? Set phasers to 'maim'!" :rollingw:

Didn't he create a weapon which projects a ray which induces ... ah ... an orgasm?

I was watching the following clip earlier - which came up from an unrelated UFO related search on YouTube - and it has revived memories of the original series, which I grew up with.

I was wondering about watching it again on Netflix, or perhaps a superior remastered quality available on Blu-Ray release?

Any advice much appreciated.

I need to know what happened next in this, long forgotten, episode!

Chekov even wrote an episode.
Chekov phoned me at work one day. Well, Walter Koenig did! I was working for a TV magazine in the 1990s and we needed pictures of Walter Koenig. I can't remember how I contacted him, but he phoned me personally to give contact details of his agent. He was lovely and polite.

This was in contrast to the famously litigious and quite angry Harlan Ellison who phoned the magazine I was working for to castigate it and who needed to be treated very delicately! It worked, though, and instead of us writing an apology or correction, Ellison ended up writing a piece for the magazine. Result!

I was watching the following clip earlier - which came up from an unrelated UFO related search on YouTube - and it has revived memories of the original series, which I grew up with.

I was wondering about watching it again on Netflix, or perhaps a superior remastered quality available on Blu-Ray release?

Any advice much appreciated.

I need to know what happened next in this, long forgotten, episode!

All episodes available as a very clear blu Ray release and depending on where you are the episodes are shown pretty frequently. For example in the U.K. they are shown on the Horror Channel, currently heading towards the end of season 2. The episode in question is season 1, episode 19.

Chekov phoned me at work one day. Well, Walter Koenig did! I was working for a TV magazine in the 1990s and we needed pictures of Walter Koenig. I can't remember how I contacted him, but he phoned me personally to give contact details of his agent. He was lovely and polite.

This was in contrast to the famously litigious and quite angry Harlan Ellison who phoned the magazine I was working for to castigate it and who needed to be treated very delicately! It worked, though, and instead of us writing an apology or correction, Ellison ended up writing a piece for the magazine. Result!
Walter Koenig came to my local pub once!

All episodes available as a very clear blu Ray release...
That's definitely what I would love to see - remastered in Blu-Ray would be amazing!

I watched the series as each new episode unfolded and was trying to remember what our TV was like back then.

I'm not so sure it was in colour. :D

It is available for sale on remastered blu-ray.

Back