• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Also available on Netflix.
Briefly met Koenig at a convention and scored much kudos by asking him about his part as a bad guy in Babylon 5. He seemed genuinely happy to not talk about ST for a bit. Same con I met David Carradine at.

I forgot to mention that I watched a very enjoyable hour-long 'live' show the other night (recorded probably in about 2002) with a chap called George Marshall who does impressions of lots of Star Trek TNG characters in a show called "The Final Front Ear".
The show was performed at some kind of UK convention, in front of an audience of 'cosplayers', and it included a lot of 'in' jokes and mentions of one-off characters and silly plot holes etc.
I watched it on Ustreme, but it might be available elsewhere.
(Ustreme is available at time of writing with a no commitment, 3 day free pass)
https://www.ustreme.com/lmfao/

Also available on Netflix.
Briefly met Koenig at a convention and scored much kudos by asking him about his part as a bad guy in Babylon 5. He seemed genuinely happy to not talk about ST for a bit. Same con I met David Carradine at.

Met Koenig at a B5 convention in Blackpool back in the 90’s. It was the one where they managed to get all the main cast there. Possibly the one where JMS announced that they had got Season 4. Koenig did an amazing reading of The Rats in the Walls. Rene Obejonois was there as well; What an amazing speaker. Both were lovely blokes.

I still remember the surreal experience of chatting with Andreas Katsulas on Blackpool seafront, taking in the sea air.

I have really fond memories of those conventions at the Norbreck.

Met Koenig at a B5 convention in Blackpool back in the 90’s.
My favourite B5 conventions were at the "Starfury" conventions at the Heathrow Raddison Hotel, back in the '90s. Most of the main cast were there and all were really fun and approachable. Outside the "queue to get autograph" situation, they'd have plenty of time for fans and even while signing, they always had a word or two.
My three fond memories were my GF (at the time) giving Claudia Christian a neck-massage while Claudia was autograph signing (bags of kudos there), having a drunken photoshoot with Jerry Doyle (now sadly lost but I've still his official signed photo) and watching a rap battle between the sadly missed Richard Briggs and Jason Carter!

Did they really have to include the detail that the Federation eats their own shit in today's ST Disco? It's barely a joke, was it a writers' room cry for help?

Anyway, apart from that, a pacey little episode, but Saru and company should be long dead by now! Bet they aren't, though. Interesting demands from The Chain... they want diplomacy? And throw their toys out of the pram when they don't get it? I don't think they've thought this through. Janet Kidder is doing really well as the evil Orion, though, she's currently the highlight.

Did they really have to include the detail that the Federation eats their own shit in today's ST Disco? It's barely a joke, was it a writers' room cry for help?

Anyway, apart from that, a pacey little episode, but Saru and company should be long dead by now! Bet they aren't, though. Interesting demands from The Chain... they want diplomacy? And throw their toys out of the pram when they don't get it? I don't think they've thought this through. Janet Kidder is doing really well as the evil Orion, though, she's currently the highlight.

Loving Janet Kidder’s character. I read that she didn’t know she was auditioning for Star Trek when she was offered the chance. At times it feels like she’s channeling Diana from V.

Loving Janet Kidder’s character. I read that she didn’t know she was auditioning for Star Trek when she was offered the chance. At times it feels like she’s channeling Diana from V.

Good comparison! She'd probably be better off eating a hamster than the Federation's recycled comestibles.

I did read she's Margot Kidder's niece, difficult to see the resemblance when she's painted green, mind.

Good comparison! She'd probably be better off eating a hamster than the Federation's recycled comestibles.

I did read she's Margot Kidder's niece, difficult to see the resemblance when she's painted green, mind.
Do a search for her and you can totally see it!
4E44B96D-E8F3-4908-85B1-AF8A8EE78C5A.png

I can kind of see it, but I was looking for it when I found out.

She apparently did once play the younger version of Margot's character in something.

She's been great chewing the scenery in Disco. I have to admit, though, her motivations aren't really clear at this point.

I might have to eat Humble Canapé (a smaller version of the pie).
After all this discussion about Discovery and Picard, I've decided to watch a couple of episodes of both, to give them a fair go despite my initial misgivings. I admit these might be caused by my fond appreciation for past series in the genre.
Initial thoughts? Well, while I love the character Picard seems to be trying to hard to be edgy and (dare I say it?) political. The exposition dump is not terrible but, combined with the strange pacing and scene timing, flashbacks etc., just confuses me. I feel I'm watching it to see characters I am familiar with rather than being drawn in to the plot line. No need for the spoiler alert but I thought the "reveal" in episode 2 was practically telegraphed.
So far, I've only managed to watch a short bit of Discovery (time constraints) but from the 15 minutes or so I saw, I am willing to watch a bit more. I think the lack of "old friends" helps.

I was like that with Discovery too, but after about 8 episodes the time line had been messed about with so much, and there were so many 'back references', twists and unexplained plot holes, that I gave up.
It would have been much more enjoyable (IMO) if each episode was a standalone story with maybe just a little bit of character development over the course of a series.

Like the original series where each episode was ... well ... an episode.
I'm all for back stories and character development (Babylon 5 was a masterclass at that) but if you have to repeat watch a series and refer to notes taken, just to understand a plot for one damn episode - not a two-parter, mind - then you've got too much on your plate: not only do you have to interest, to involve the viewer, but they are required to have seen past episodes.
I love book series. The main characters develop, past events have impact, we enjoy the familiar. However, a book series that requires the reader to read the first and all in the correct order, but individual novels can't be read 'stand alone'? Nah mate.
It's like an in-joke; those in on it may find it funny time and again, but is utterly uninteresting to anyone else.

Discovery for me, was better than Picard, I think I watched all but the last episode of Picard, I just hated it, but I tried to give it a chance. The swear words were just jarring, they did not fit, I do not mind swearing in things, I use it myself, but it just did not belong in Picard and I found the young actors had no talent.

I understand what you mean, Shady. It seemed like they were trying to be 'edgy'. Distance itself from other, more 'prissy', productions?
Well, I've watched 3 episodes of Picard and Discovery both.
Very glossy, lots to CGI to replace plots and acting, though well acted for the most part. Not really interested in watching further episodes. This is my tastes, I admit, but these aren't a TV series. They're a feature film shown over more time.
Seems to me that Paramount/the TV channels are milking the ST brand.

Well, that was wrapped up with unseemly haste. Maybe they can install a sofa instead of the Captain's chair so Michael and Tilly can sit together exchanging compliments. The action is the strong point, but it's all so weightless (and not just because it's in space) and consequence-free. I know there's a fast turnaround for these episodes, but I wish it felt there had been more thought put into them. For a while I thought this season was going to be the best of Disco, now I'm not so sure, it's all so arbitrary.

Maybe the end title music confirms it, but I can see the next series being effectively a TOS reboot (especially given the on-going mission as outlined by the Admiral.)

Maybe the end title music confirms it, but I can see the next series being effectively a TOS reboot (especially given the on-going mission as outlined by the Admiral.)
No objection to that. I haven't watched the 3rd season of Disc and based on this discussion won't bother.

At the risk of being criticised ( ;) ), from the episodes of Discovery I watched, I rather liked the character of Tilly. She made a refreshing change from the picture-perfect "Mary Sues" that we are constantly presented with.
Well, that might make me watch it more, frankly.

That place where the other kelpian lived was just too magic for me. Let's have some semblance of scientific plausibility back.

I don't mind 'fantasy' as long as it's consistent in the world it's set.
Even in the original series, while the show stayed carefully away from real religions, it often showed apparent Gods as being powerful aliens.
More closely related, there's a murder-mystery book series involving a protagonist called Masie Dobbs. Set in the inter-war years of Britain, it's rather quite good though it's one failing that irritates me is she very often has spells of 'precognition' and even psychometry. This is explained away as part of her (actually described) early training by an Indian psychologist which included meditation techniques, relaxation techniques and observation.
To sum up, it's a plot device to take the detective work past any reality 'blocks'.

I've seen a few STLD episodes, and it's not that funny, but it is action packed and fairly imaginative. The characters are more likeable than the ones in the current live action ST series. Feels more trad ST, maybe because of the sense of humour, though if you told me it was ST: Rick & Morty with Mariner as Rick, then I wouldn't disagree. And R&M has the jokes.

I have been catching up with it as well and you right GNC, its not laugh out loud funny but it has its moments. I'm quite enjoying it for all the nods to the various other ST series. I have not really watched Rick & Morty i better rectify that.

I have been catching up with it as well and you right GNC, its not laugh out loud funny but it has its moments. I'm quite enjoying it for all the nods to the various other ST series. I have not really watched Rick & Morty i better rectify that.
I really enjoyed Lower Decks and I must admit I hate Rick and Marty. Sorry.

Well, I've been binge-watching ST:LD ... which says a lot.
Yeah, the humour is "a personal thing" (i.e. I find it quite funny but not outrageously so), but I honestly prefer this to Picard or Beyond. Perhaps, even in a cartoon humour way, it feels more like the episodic adventure format that ST:ToS or ST:NG had. It has it's (brief) moments but it isn't as dark or universe-impacting storyline as the others.
In fact, it highlights the entertainment or adventure that exists for 99% of "ordinary" people in the world, now or in the future.
I think it was in ep.2 or 3 of Picard when he stomps into an Admirals office, stating he was coming out of retirement and demanding a ship and crew. It was a really emotional and pithy moment when he's told in no uncertain terms that, regardless of his past glory, he has NO right or ability to dictate terms to the Federation or Star Fleet. The world isn't about him but his part in the world.
Lower Decks uses humour to point this out: it's one thing to have heroes but what about those who the heroes use - need - just to maintain the world around them? ST:NG had the episode ... er ... "Lower Decks" that portrayed this well. So, too, did Babylon 5 (I can't find the particular episode at the moment).

Back