• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I just had a "wait a minute..." moment 50 years in the making. In "City on the Edge of Forever" Kirk comes home from shopping: "I've brought you some assorted vegetables, baloney and a hard roll for myself, and I've spent the other nine tenths of our combined salaries for the last three days on filling this order for you. Mr. Spock, this bag does not contain platinum, silver or gold, nor is it likely to in the near future."

But they were working in a soup kitchen. Why would he spend any of that money on food instead of the much- needed electronics, if they can eat for free?

I just had a "wait a minute..." moment 50 years in the making. In "City on the Edge of Forever" Kirk comes home from shopping: "I've brought you some assorted vegetables, baloney and a hard roll for myself, and I've spent the other nine tenths of our combined salaries for the last three days on filling this order for you. Mr. Spock, this bag does not contain platinum, silver or gold, nor is it likely to in the near future."

But they were working in a soup kitchen. Why would he spend any of that money on food instead of the much- needed electronics, if they can eat for free?

Isn't it bad form to help yourself to the soup kitchen's soup when you work there yourself?

Isn't it bad form to help yourself to the soup kitchen's soup when you work there yourself?
They were clearly in need themselves, and I think it was accepted they would eat there.

I always wondered if Bill Shatner and Joan Collins got jiggy during the making of that episode.

Oh I really do miss Clive James so much, he was a clever and witty fellow.
One of the channels on the tellybox showed his 'postcards from' series recently, and he just managed to effortlessly bumble along, absolutely charming.
What a loss.

Oh I really do miss Clive James so much, he was a clever and witty fellow.
One of the channels on the tellybox showed his 'postcards from' series recently, and he just managed to effortlessly bumble along, absolutely charming.
What a loss.

I watched those too, he was great.

His books are dazzling, too. Certainly my favourite nonfiction author by a long way, and he was a rare poet and gifted critic.

Well that settles that. But since she now totally misunderstands the character she played, maybe she's not so clear on the rest of it, either.

Joan was married to Anthony Newley at the time she made the episode, and trying to make that marriage work despite his terrible philandering.

There is another animated show on the way: Star Trek Prodigy.
A bunch of alien kids find a Starfleet vessel, and end up travelling the galaxy with Janeway.

His books are dazzling, too. Certainly my favourite nonfiction author by a long way, and he was a rare poet and gifted critic.
I fell apart at Clive James as a TV critic. I particularly liked his collected articles collated into ’The Crystal Bucket’. I totally lost it on his review of The World Disco Dancing Championship’.

As the floor pulsed with light and the air shook to the sledgehammer beat, one dancer after another gallantly attempted the impossible task of shaking off his own pudenda without touching them.

https://archive.clivejames.com/books/frankie.htm

I read Clive’s ‘Falling Towards England’ and was working in Covent Garden at the time. They asked me where I’d like to go to eat and I said ‘I’m not fussy’ so they said ‘Right. Jimmy the Greeks it is’.
That Soho restaurant meal more than lived up to the legend Clive James described and I could probably do a whole article on it, such is the vivid lasting memory.

Seems like Clive James could almost have his own thread. He did indeed engage in some odd antics.

We did have one briefly, ages ago, but I think it was lost in an automatic purge a few years back.

James was brilliant. I own every book - bar two - that he ever wrote. I agree all five volumes of his autobiography are magnificent works, the last two especially both brave in their personal admissions and still very, very funny. Anyone wanting to know how Western thought and culture in the 20th Century formed can do much worse than reading Cultural Amnesia. Feel free to start one and I'll wax even more lyrical on it.

Perhaps then we can get back to Starfleet on here?

We did have one briefly, ages ago, but I think it was lost in an automatic purge a few years back.

James was brilliant. I own every book - bar two - that he ever wrote. I agree all five volumes of his autobiography are magnificent works, the last two especially both brave in their personal admissions and still very, very funny. Anyone wanting to know how Western thought and culture in the 20th Century formed can do much worse than reading Cultural Amnesia. Feel free to start one and I'll wax even more lyrical on it.

Perhaps then we can get back to Starfleet on here?

This thread started with one of his essays and a few posts about him feature:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/the-continuing-insult-to-the-english-language.31931/

Who are you people? What are you doing in '10 forward'?

I thought I'd seen them all...

EvgZ7JBWYAggoeC.jpeg.jpg

I automatically thought of the last episode of Blackadder II, Edmund laid into the evil Prince Ludwig for his silly accents. :)

Back