• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Going back a bit...
The second concept was based on the idea that communication with Starfleet Command was often impossible without huge delays, making the Captain essentially autonomous.
Yeah, as you say this was seriously underused in Classic Trek, and in TNG as I've said repeatedly all sense of isolated jeopardy was lost - you always got the impression they could be home by Wednesday if they wanted. The only one which really employed the idea was Voyager, completely alone and self-reliant, and despite what seems a general feeling I really enjoyed its arc. Discovery has kind of played with this, too, but up until now S2 is the only one which really gelled throughout (S3 was quite variable, and S1 didn't seem to know where it should be going, also handicapped by too much Klingon politicking which always buggers it up for me).

Three days till we can start slagging off Star Trek Discovery all over again...
Well, there might be people that missed their opportunity the previous 12 times it has been slated.

Going back a bit...

Yeah, as you say this was seriously underused in Classic Trek, and in TNG as I've said repeatedly all sense of isolated jeopardy was lost - you always got the impression they could be home by Wednesday if they wanted. The only one which really employed the idea was Voyager, completely alone and self-reliant, and despite what seems a general feeling I really enjoyed its arc. Discovery has kind of played with this, too, but up until now S2 is the only one which really gelled throughout (S3 was quite variable, and S1 didn't seem to know where it should be going, also handicapped by too much Klingon politicking which always buggers it up for me).
Well, how far out in the boondocks are they? that's what made TNG different. Often they didn't leave Federation space. Several TOS eps were explicitly stated to take place at Federation colony worlds as well. In the case of Voyager... they were literally on the far side of the galaxy.

I watched the first 2 seasons of Star Trek Discovery when they put it on reg tv but I don't have Paramount + for the rest....I did like Jason Isaacs quite a bit though.

We had two months of Paramount + for free, and the Mrs., who watched season 1 of Discovery on broadcast TV, couldn't be bothered for any more. We both loved Picard, though.

I tried, I really did, and it was in the middle of year one of the pandemic, but I couldn't drum up any enthusiasm for Discovery at all, despite really liking Michelle Yeoh and the paucity of straight white male characters, and Picard yr 1 was just plain awful. I'd rather watch Voyager or DS9 again.

...I couldn't drum up any enthusiasm for Discovery at all, despite really liking Michelle Yeoh and the paucity of straight white male characters, and Picard...

When the light strikes Picard's straight white male head.

200.gif

Correct: It's a genre trope--since heavily parodied.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LegCling

See, for instance, Boris Vallejo:

View attachment 47690View attachment 47692

Or in more recently:

View attachment 47693View attachment 47694

Personally, if I were in the process of trying to calm my inner fears and steel myself for some coming heroics, I'd find it really distracting to have a quivering chick clinging to my thigh.
Excellent use in Transformers Beast Wars...

Beast_Wars_1318.jpg
o5xy1rl9iwt61.png

No Discovery season 4 in the UK this week.

In a 'shocking last minute move' Paramount have bought out the Netflix contract for every country except the US and Canada, and will be showing Discovery next year on their new 'Paramount+' service.

Expect Picard, Lower Decks and everything else new to be punted there too.

Don't know if Netflix are keeping the classic though.

In a 'shocking last minute move' Paramount have bought out the Netflix contract for every country except the US and Canada, and will be showing Discovery next year on their new 'Paramount+' service.

Wow that must have been a huge transaction.

Darn! You would have thought they would want as many viewers to see it as possible. I know Discovery and Picard were a bit shit, but I'll miss Lower Decks. This is why Blu-rays are the future - and you thought they were the past.

Star Trek:
TOS - stunning, original, hammy - and yet the hammy bit seems to work.
TNG - ditto without the hammy - and better sets.
DS9 - Ditto again, except I eventually got lost as to who was fighting whom, possibly not helped by my shifting continent in the middle.
Voyager - nah.
Enterprise - OK, my wife was more keen than me.
Not watched anything else since. Would rather keep watching the first two over and over.

Three days till we can start slagging off Star Trek Discovery all over again...

Some trekkies are apparently growing anxious about the fact that the new series/season of Discovery has twenty-four people credited as 'producer' (of various flavours).

Perhaps they're generously helping to fill out CVs, but it isn't a promising sign.

Some trekkies are apparently growing anxious about the fact that the new series/season of Discovery has twenty-four people credited as 'producer' (of various flavours).

Perhaps they're generously helping to fill out CVs, but it isn't a promising sign.
I think this series might be wearing a red shirt.

That is strange, but given that it's a very hi-tech operation and they probably film multiple episodes simultaneously. there are probably multiple teams who actually do the production oversight. Or it could just mean that it takes a whole bunch of people to keep the thing going financially and performer-shepherding. Having watched the first two seasons they might be better off with one dictatorial person at the top who is is capable of saying "no, makes no sense, we're NOT going to do that."

Or it could just mean that they couldn't find a 'producer' who was up to the job, or could be bothered to do the job right.
Anyways, the 'producer' doesn't really do much apart from worry about budgets and deal with the business side of things - it's the Director that matters.
Having a lot of producers listed just means that the whole show was really bureaucratically 'top heavy' so that would have been where a lot of the money was going.

Or it could just mean that they couldn't find a 'producer' who was up to the job, or could be bothered to do the job right.
Anyways, the 'producer' doesn't really do much apart from worry about budgets and deal with the business side of things - it's the Director that matters.
Having a lot of producers listed just means that the whole show was really bureaucratically 'top heavy' so that would have been where a lot of the money was going.
This is American-TV speak. British director, producer mean something else . The US producer is or represents the person putting up the money, and either is or supervises the show-runner who makes sure that the thing has some continuous artistic and narrative integrity. The producer calls the shots to the director, who is different for each episode. If the producer says you can't have that actor or special effect or re-shoot, you can't. In complicated TV today they seem to have executive producers who oversee the actual episode and producers who stand above the fray and make "artistic" decisions and got the funding. I'm not saying they are all competent but if the show doesn't get a big audience they won't be given money to play with again. As we've seen recently in film, producers will generally do anything to grub for that last nickel so voluntarily top-heavy is not probable. Except of course that there are so many hands in the pot when in comes to ST - owned by Paramount now, correct? So they have some studio reps in the hierarchy and of course everyone these days has to get public "credit", in Roddenberry's day they were just called "the suits". And maybe they trade credit for lower compensation or some really powerful star insists on their agent being given credit (probably not relevant in STD). I believe that if you have Producer credit you get to share in the credit for winning the Emmy. Makes for a really silly lists of credits.

I've liked it, it has it's failings though. No way am I going to subscribe to Paramount. It'll be found online, just like S2 of War of the Worlds was.

I'll probably do what I do with most TV shows nowadays - buy the Blu-ray then sell it on eBay for the same price I bought it for when it's been watched.

Most current US TV shows I watch have the credits largely made up of producers and executive producers, so I'm not sure why ST would be any different.

Right, turns out Brits (and other non-Americans) can watch Disco after all, on something called Pluto TV:
Article

Which on investigation appears to be a streaming service full of cheapo tat and oldies. Why it's on there I have no idea, but if you tune in at 9pm on Friday you will see S4 E1 of Disco. The next two episodes are on at the same time on Saturday and Sunday. Just the way the creators would have wanted: watched on your phone. I don't know if I can keep up with this!

Never mind Pluto, if you don't want ads Disco is on Amazon Prime Video now, twenty quid for season 4. I've been watching it and, it's sort of OK, but I think I see the problem, when ST:TNG was on they had a therapist on the bridge of the Enterprise and many scoffed at that. Now with Disco... they're all therapists! It's very Californian. Getting tired of so many teary smiles of encouragement, and we're only on episode 3.

Back