• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Isn't that picture from the pilot episode of, "Star Wars Trek". :thought:

Last edited:
Lens flare off the starboard bow!

‘Star Trek’ Cast, Including Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto, Returning for Fourth Film​

They’re boldly going back.
Paramount is planning to enter negotiations for “Star Trek” stars Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, Karl Urban, John Cho, and Simon Pegg to return to the Enterprise for their fourth tour of duty in the venerable sci-fi franchise.
The announcement was made by J.J. Abrams during the Paramount Investors Day Presentation on Feb 15.
“We are thrilled to say that we are hard at work on a new ‘Star Trek’ film that will be shooting by the end of the year that will be featuring our original cast and some new characters that I think are going to be really fun and exciting and help take ‘Star Trek’ into areas that you’ve just never seen before,” Abrams said. “We’re thrilled about this film, we have a bunch of other stories that we’re talking about that we think will be really exciting so can’t wait for you to see what we’re cooking up. But until then, live long and prosper.”
https://variety.com/2022/film/news/star-trek-chris-pine-zachary-quinto-zoe-saldana-1235021307/

Oh - and I was only reading something a couple of days ago about how the 4th of the 'new' Star Trek films had been cast into doubt by various factors, like not being able to get the cast, not being able to get a director, not being able to agree on a script, plot or other aspects of it, not being able to get finances etc etc etc

Oh - and I was only reading something a couple of days ago about how the 4th of the 'new' Star Trek films had been cast into doubt by various factors, like not being able to get the cast, not being able to get a director, not being able to agree on a script, plot or other aspects of it, not being able to get finances etc etc etc
Yes, that news came as a bit of a surprise.

Actual, not bad episode of Star Trek Disco this week. Bit of action, some adventure, a moral dilemma, light on the preachiness, maybe it's improving.

ST Picard was back (on Amazon) today. Ten minutes of plot in one hour, but the cliffhanger wasn't bad, though would have been better if it hadn't been so well advertised. Akiva Goldsman has an Oscar, you know.

Might have to eat my words here. I persevered with ST: Picard and it was actually pretty decent this week. They've basically done the Mirror Universe thing, which is difficult to get wrong admittedly, and now I'm (heh) engaged with the story. Anything's better than season 1, but this is looking promising.

I've just bought S4 of Discovery as I can't be arsed to muck around with Pluto TV.
Might have to eat my words here. I persevered with ST: Picard and it was actually pretty decent this week.
I've been toying with watching it. I found S1 heavy weather - I could see what they were trying to say, it just took way too long to say it.

Discovery S4 took a long time to get anywhere, but they've gradually pared away the extraneous stuff and it's the better for it. Still not perfect, I would caution, though. One of the jokes actually made me laugh last week, so that's a bonus (it's not a show known for its humour).

Discovery S4 took a long time to get anywhere, but they've gradually pared away the extraneous stuff and it's the better for it. Still not perfect, I would caution, though. One of the jokes actually made me laugh last week, so that's a bonus (it's not a show known for its humour).
Sounds great. Oh wait. No it doesn’t.

I think we've probably been over this already, but it's a bit of a puzzle: Discovery S1 was a mess, due at least in part to all the Klingon politics (which instantly dooms any episode or arc to tedium), S2 snapped into focus, found its pace and its climactic episodes were perfectly handled, S3 had the Emerald Chain story which worked well enough, however the rest of it was largely aimless with a slightly baffling anticlimactic conclusion. I can't help thinking all the creative momentum and energy has been ploughed into developing Strange New Worlds.

To me Discovery has turned into one big group therapy session. Belana Troi would have loved those guys.

That was her lesser known younger sister wasn't it? Named after B'Elanna Torres.

ST Picard was back (on Amazon) today. Ten minutes of plot in one hour, but the cliffhanger wasn't bad, though would have been better if it hadn't been so well advertised. Akiva Goldsman has an Oscar, you know.

Absolutely loved it.
Some of Stewart's dialogue was vaguely Shakespearean and he delivered it with the perfect mix of gravitas and poignancy.
Also a great nostalgia kick to see 7 of 9, Guinan and the superb Q again.
This is light years ahead of Discovery and feels like the natural successor to STTNG.
You were right about the effective cliff-hanger.

To me Discovery has turned into one big group therapy session. Belana Troi would have loved those guys.

They even had Burnham and Saru primal screaming at each other this week. But the cliffhanger, again, was pretty decent.

I may have laughed more that is warranted by this, but I'll let you decide.

image_2022_03_15T10_20_59_286Z-1.png

Picard series 2, episode 2 was magnificent.
OK so waking up to a very jarring different reality has been done before in the ST franchise, but rarely with such style and poignancy as here.
IMHO, this is easily the best Star Trek since The Next Generation ended in 1994.

Picard series 2, episode 2 was magnificent.
OK so waking up to a very jarring different reality has been done before in the ST franchise, but rarely with such style and poignancy as here.
IMHO, this is easily the best Star Trek since The Next Generation ended in 1994.
It was indeed.

Nice Easter Eggs in this one too, especially in the 'skulls' bit.

And was that not one but two DS9 references? Gul Dukat firstly, and I'm sure the Magistrate said "General Sisko". DS9 barely gets a mention in the new shows but how cool would it be if Ben turned up?

I gave up when they swapped punching Klingons for lying in their bunks crying all the time.

Good grief, is this what Discovery is actually like? I tried episode 1 a while back and it didn't grip me. Kept thinking I should give it another chance but if it's like that then I don't think I'll bother...

Certainly the latest season of Discovery has been much emoting and little plot.

I'm 99% sure I saw the crew of the Discovery in the most recent Picard episode.

At the Confederation HQ there was a group of officers that walked up some steps in the background, only seen from the rear. But the haircuts were very familiar, specifically Tilly and the woman with the eye implant thing.

I'm 99% sure I saw the crew of the Discovery in the most recent Picard episode.

At the Confederation HQ there was a group of officers that walked up some steps in the background, only seen from the rear. But the haircuts were very familiar, specifically Tilly and the woman with the eye implant thing.
Probably on their way to lead the applause as Tilly was made the Queen of Fucking Everything.

Probably on their way to lead the applause as Tilly was made the Queen of Fucking Everything.

Not anymore, they booted her out and gave her an administrative position out in the back of beyond. Couldn't have happened to a nicer lady.

Back