• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Star Triangle

A

Anonymous

Donny Boy

One night in July 2002, in Belfast, Northern Ireland, whilst looking at the stars and having a cigarette in the back garden of my girlfriend's house, my girlfriend, my friends and I noticed one of the stars moving across the sky. It looked no different to any of the other stars.

'Satellite' I said, 'must be'.

http://www.forteantimes.com/happened/startriangle.shtml

Link is dead. See post below for complete text.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes!

Remarkable! This is almost exactly like one of my more unexplainable sightings.

I was about 21 or 22 (I am 36 now). I was sitting in a swing in my girlfriend's front yard, very late at night, having a smoke and leaning back, looking at the stars. I noticed a perfect equilateral triangle of stars directly overhead, and I marvelled at it because I had never noticed a perfect triangle constellation before. I looked at it for several minutes before turning to my girlfriend and saying, "Look, a perfect triangle of stars."

She looked up and it took several seconds for her to see where I was pointing. Finally she saw it. At that moment, the 'top' star of the triangle began to move. It moved between the two 'base' stars and then vanished. I said to her, did you see that? She had. She said, it must have been a satellite. I said, satellites don't stop and go. They either stand still or they move. They can't do both. A helicopter? Too high for a helicopter. A plane? Planes don't stand still. And helicopters and planes don't disappear, either. It was very bizarre, and I've never heard of a similar experience until now.

Had exactly the same experience whilst holidaying in Brittany in August 1977 or 78. Stargazing with friends we spotted several (up to 4 at any one time) bright stars that stopped, moved backwards from their original course or moved off at an angle. There were plenty of passenger jets in the sky at the time to provide a comparison so there was no confusion - even ignoring their ability to stop dead or fly backwards.
At the time I was puzzled but put them down to low flying satellites despite the fact that I was pretty sure satellites don't hover.
Glad to know somebody else has seen them.

Re: Yes!

JeffC said:
A plane? Planes don't stand still. And helicopters and planes don't disappear, either.

Planes do stand still if you are behind them and they are flying directly away from you. Have made that mistake before. They will also disappear if go behind some trace cloud, or just go too far away.

I agree - I've been caught out by seeing objects which appear to be at a standstill in the air at night, but just turn out to be planes. At certain angles and certain directions of movement the aircraft can appear to be stationary from experience. (I used to live at the end of a runway, so I saw a fair few planes).

> Chaz <

Saw one of those last week when I was out with GF in her backyard watching the meteor shower. Neither of us knew what it was.

Looked just like a star, but did slow figure eights and triangles across the sky. Didn't wierd us out too bad, but was interesting.

planes standing still

Planes do stand still if you are behind them and they are flying directly away from you. Have made that mistake before. They will also disappear if go behind some trace cloud, or just go too far away.

I am familiar with this effect, as I worked at the airport for three years, at night.

The reason I say planes don't stand still was because the light I saw was directly overhead, not off at a distance. Planes directly overhead don't stand still.

Except for me... driving home one night I could see something hovering over my house from about 400yds away - something brightly lit just hovering there. I was really freaked out by what it could be as although I lived at the end of a runway I didn't think it could be a plane as it was stationary.

When I got near my house I found it was a harrier hovering just behind my house!!! What the f***??

It turned round and tootled off towards the airport just after I pulled up outside my house..!

So - my message is: nothing is impossible!

> Chaz <

I don't know whether you've ever stared up at the sky at night (and day)in Belfast before but I have and there are helicopters up there nearly permanently, even at night. Reconaisance flights, transport flights, the Aldergrove and Belfast international flight paths cross over in the Belfast area, planes fly in this direction on the way to North America from Heathrow and Gatwick and can often be seen at altitude duing the day also, floodlights are often used down at the Oddessy, Haarland and Wolf (the two oilrigs there at the minute are light up like Xmas trees during the night) and some nightclubs in Belfast. Lights over Belfast are very common and planes flying at all angle and helicopters stopping and hovering and shooting of again. Also Belfast has its own micro climate. Because its trapped in between the Castlereagh Hills and Antrim Plateau it is often warmer here so cloud covers acts funny and can reflect lights from miles of, ive seen light in Carrickfergus that came from a club about twenty miles away, which does'nt sound that impressive but i had no line of site to belfast and they where seemingly in the wrong place.

Was it from Earth, or someplace Other than?

To all sceptics. Seeing is believing! The question is; Believing in What? It was about 6:30 PM in late September 1994, My daughter who was 14 at the time and my Son who was 9 and myself got into the family van to go to town. We live in North Central Texas U.S.A. As we were heading east going down our long private drive we noticed what first appeared as a bright ( I mean BRIGHT) Star just above the tree line at the end of our drive where it meets the county road of which we live on. I stopped and We were amazed at how bright and close this star appeared and while it was still daylight. Then I noticed that this Star was moving south, because the trees were still and you could see it moving between the upper limbs of the tree. No sooner than we all three agreed it could not be a star because of the movement it took off as fast as anything I ever saw going now in a steep upward and easterly direction.

WE were in awe as I began driving the van on down the drive and turning south on the county road this thing swoops down and is flying along side of us going now south like we are going. However it is still to far away to tell what it is. It at this time is still appearing to look like a star. We watched it continue to fly further and further away toward the south and it looked like it was going to fly high up over a storm cloud that was banking up in the southern sky. When we had watched it so long as to now barely able to see a speck in the sky, it suddenly turned north and came straight for us at a unbelievable speed.

In 30 seconds or less this so called Speck in the south sky was stopped directly over us between the Post office and the Community building where a town meeting was in proccess. My daughter said Daddy Stop its right on top of us. I stopped the van I stepped out onto the running board on my side and my daughter did the same on her side while my son was streaching his neck trying to look up through the windshield of the van.

Directly above us approximatly 60 to 70 feet away there was a metalic object trianglure shaped that was BLACK in color and on each of the three corners it had big bright white spot lights that shined straight down. If it would have been dark, the ground would have been lighted up very brightly. We watched this thing for 60 seconds or so while it hovered without any noise ( I said NO NOISE AT ALL). I believe whoever or whatever was controlling this thing could hear everything that we said. Why? Because when I said I was going to go into the community town meeting to get them to come out and look at this thing, it took off in the "Blink Of An Eye" without any sound, and it appeared to go back north toward our House where we first saw it. The Blink of and Eye, allowed us just to see which direction it left in, and the next blink it was "GONE", Blip, Disapeared, OUT A SIGHT!

We were still in awe for the next five miles going south as we continued on our Journey. When we reached the next farm to market road where we turned left to go in a easterly direction again, We saw it again about the distance of 1 city block length, in front of us. It passed about fifty feet directly over the house of a good friend I worked with and crossed the road in front of us. After it had compleated the crossing it pivited in place, to make the turn toward the west. Now flying west and down beside us on the south side of the road. As we were traveling, still east.

Now.., suddenly fear struck us! Up untill now we were not afraid, only amazed and in awe of the thing. We knew now, for sure that it was watching us! Why it was.., we did not know! But no doubt, it wonted us to see it.., that was certain. I put my foot into that old 1985 chevy van and headed East to the town that we were still going to. We left it in our rearview mirror and never saw it again. What was it? Who was flying it? Your guess is as good as ours. We didnt see no little green men. I"m not even saying it was from another world! I'm only saying it was "REAL" and a U.F.O. as far as anything I've ever seen. Perhaps our Government has a secret Weapon. I dont know, but I now am a Believer in the so called U.F.O. Thats the truth!!!

Star Triangel

On Saturday April 26, 2003 while on a backpacking trip in the Primitive area of Grand Gluch in Southern Utah, 2 friends described that they had seen a rapidly flying star triangle the night before, another friend reported that they had seen the very same thing when home in Lake Tahoe 2 years before. Within about 20 minutes we ALL witnessed this phenmenon of a fast traveling triangle of "stars" that appeared about 1 1/2" apart to our eyes from the ground. Note: None of us have been interested in UFO's in the past.

Any explainations?:eek!!!!:

One evening in september or october 1994 at approx 5.30pm ( it was just starting to go dark) My landlord and i were driving back from Plymouth to Torquay (in the UK) on the A38. Well a few miles outside Plymouth, we saw a triangular shaped object hovering approx 200/300 ft over our lefthand side of the road. It had a light at each corner, but no light in the middle. Bare in mind it was not yet dark so we got a reasonably clear view. However my landlord refused to stop. I was hanging out of the window shouting something along the lines of "come on you "****** lets have a look at you", whilst trying to grab the handbrake to stop the car, and my landlord was screaming "im not stopping on the motorway":mad: over and over (it wasent a motorway and i think he was actually terrified).

However I was glad he was there as a witness or no one would have believed me ( my friends know I am a ufo head ). Was it a ufo or was it a secret military black ops craft ? who knows. All i know is it was hovering there in the dusklight that autumn evening.

Zardoz, in 1998, I had a very similar experience - although I was the only person in the car.
I didn't stop, as I was whizzing along at 80mph. Afterwards, I regretted not stopping on the hard shoulder to have a better look.

LBMK: I think what you probably saw was a NOSS Triad:
The November/December 1999 issue of Skyviews, edited by Canadian amateur astronomy guru Terence Dickinson, contained this amazing account: "On three consecutive nights during the Starfest star party in August 1996, a formation of 3 unblinking starlike objects in a flattened triangular configuration was seen cruising across the star fields by dozens of observers. Veteran stargazers at the meeting had never seen anything like it."

[...]

The US currently operates three sets of spy satellites, launched consecutively in 1990, 1991 and 1996. These satellites orbit pole-to-pole in groups of three at an altitude of 1,100 kilometers, monitoring the position, speed and direction of all military ships at sea by detecting radio and radar signals and then triangulating the point of origin..
I've no idea what the rest of you saw, though. Where are those cameras when we need them, eh?

Don Richardson -
I'm only asking as the object seemed to show such an interest - Did you have any missing time? Or scars or anything?:eek!!!!:

Strange, but I'd never heard anything else like it until now - A very close friend of mine was travelling by ferry across to Ireland in 1996/7, I think, and looked up into the starry sky to see three very bright stars that would make up a large triangle. What was wierd though was that the space between the three stars began to feel 'solid' to her, though she conceded that it may have been an optical illusion. The only problem was that the triangle of 'stars' seemed to be moving against the back-drop of stars 'behind' it. Again, perhaps another optical illusion as she was on a ferry and hadn't felt solid ground for an hour or two EXCEPT that two other passengers could be heard making the same observation! She doesn't particularly believe in UFO's and was non-commital although does ponder on it now and again as a curiosity.

Personally I wouldn't look if I thought I saw a UFO as I believe John Keel's theory and reckon I'd end up like a rabbit in the headlights of a speeding car!!!! And NOTHING is going to probe ME!!!! Even if i just THINK its probing!!!

U.F.O. Aliens over East Belfast. The Markets / London Road

Did anyone see the Belfast Telegraph on Monday 11th April 2005 about the 'snake like' U.F.O. over the skies of East Belfast. Amazing! I was extremely surprised the newspaper printed such a story along with the pictures. The pictures were amazing, quite creepy. A guy from the 'Markets' area spotted it in the sky while he was having a cigarette in his garden. He had a camera to hand & started taking the pics. He said "there was no sound from the object & it moved towards the direction of the Ravenhill Road, then it broke apart & flew off towards the direction of Belfast City Airport"! A motorist on London Road in East Belfast also spotted the alien craft & reported it. Remarkably confirming the 'Markets' man's story she said "it just hovered above the rooftops; of the 7 green houses which are situated around the middle of London Road & then broke up into balls or spheres & flew off"! The story also mentioned that these 'snake type' crafts have been seen quite often, especially in Mexico. It's exciting to read that these sort of events are happening in our wee country!

Reading these reminds me of a Frederick Brown short story (from the collection "100 Short Short Stories" I believe) about a stargazer who begins to notice a very slight shift between the stars of constellations. Each evening he looks out and each time the stars have drifted apart. Eventually the constellations have changed entirely but instead of forming a random pattern of new shapes they begin to form letters in the sky. The story ends as the world looks up at the night sky to see the biggest sky-writing advert ever created.

The link in post #1 is long dead. Here's the complete text, salvaged from the Wayback Machine ...

-------------------------------------------

STAR TRIANGLE

Donny Boy

One night in July 2002, in Belfast, Northern Ireland, whilst looking at the stars and having a cigarette in the back garden of my girlfriend's house, my girlfriend, my friends and I noticed one of the stars moving across the sky. It looked no different to any of the other stars.

'Satellite' I said, 'must be'.

Fair enough we all thought, and we kept watching as it crossed the sky. Then it stopped, held position for a short time then took off across the sky in a different direction, not ridiculously fast, but steadily. It crossed the sky as we all watched, debating what 'on earth' it could be that could do this. Once it had crossed the sky to another point, it changed direction again and moved steadily across the sky.

As I said, it looked exactly like all the other stars. It stopped somewhere near where we had first seen it. I watched it for quite a while after this as it held that position then three 'stars' left the sky in formation and crossed the sky then faded until we could no longer see them, apparently going away from the Earth.

At least three of us saw all of this, more witnessed the original moving 'star'.

Any other reports of this nature? Did anyone else witness it and are there any attempts at an explanation?

--------------------------------------------

SALVAGED FROM: https://web.archive.org/web/2002120...rteantimes.com:80/happened/startriangle.shtml

The abductee Terry Lovelace reported seeing something similar to these star triangles while out camping - he's done quite a few interviews on different podcasts (which is where I heard the story and why I can't place exactly which podcast it was) discussing his experiences.

I think this thread refers to two identifiable, sometimes separate and sometimes possibly connected phenomena.

1.) A triangle shaped aircraft/spacecraft which has a light in each of the corners of the triangle.

2.) Three lights which at times appear in formation as though they are the corners of a large triangle, at other times one or more of the lights breaks away from this formation.

My own experience was of 2.), where the lights did not remain in formation. (see below thread, my post about this was made on January 15 2017))

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/orange-lights.62026/#post-1646251

Back