• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
And she's down! So Third Sister had her own plan. Are they planning to bring this to a season 2? Looks like it.

Screenshot_20220617-113035.png

If you were not thrilled by that; you have no soul.
I don't have a soul and am unthrillable, but I'm still looking forward to Mando 3 and slightly for Andor. I like that period of the canon, the few years around the Battle of Yavin and the fall of the Empire. The Jedi thing looks interesting.

An interesting connection I had never heard of before - the Berkeley Experiment, and how it helped to create the Death Star!
https://www.sfgate.com/streaming/article/berkeley-experiment-shaped-star-wars-17435890.php

The “Star Wars” universe is full of memorable moments, but in the history of the franchise, there are few sequences as important as the final Death Star trench chase in “A New Hope.”

The newly released six-part Disney Plus streaming docuseries “Light & Magic” goes deep into the history of George Lucas’ San Francisco-based special effects studio Industrial Light & Magic, which was founded in 1975. The ending of the second episode explores the process behind the Death Star scene, in which the fate of the Rebel Alliance hangs on Luke Skywalker’s ability to speed his X-wing through a narrow trench and blast a thermal exhaust port that is only 2 meters wide.

In reality, the entire surface of the Death Star was a hand-built model that measured approximately 15 by 40 feet. Meticulous craftsmanship contributed to the verisimilitude, but the documentary reveals that the filmmaking techniques that made the scene feel so real are actually rooted outside the realm of special effects. It turns out that the entire sequence hinged on a model developed during an urban planning study at UC Berkeley in the early 1970s, which also happened to shape the future of San Francisco’s skyline.

“The Berkeley Experiment,” as it is referred to in the documentary, was funded by the National Science Foundation and led by urban planning professor Donald Appleyard at the school’s Environmental Simulation Lab. Completed in 1972, the project entailed building a small-scale model of Marin County and a computer-controlled stop-motion 16 mm camera system. The goal was to achieve a sense of realism as a model car traversed the miniature cityscape, in hopes that the technique could guide civic decision-making regarding construction choices.

“They wanted to do a perception study,” “Light & Magic” director Lawrence Kasdan told SFGATE. “They wanted to know if they showed film to people, and one of the films was totally artificial and miniaturized, had they successfully made it feel real? Was their physiological reaction different than when they saw actual footage from out of a car?”

One of the primary people behind the model was John Dykstra, who just a few years later went on to supervise the team behind the original “Star Wars.” Dykstra’s tenure at Industrial Light & Magic was short, but he would go on to work on dozens of blockbusters, from “Spider-Man 2” to “Once Upon a Time … in Hollywood.” It turned out that the techniques he brought from his time at Berkeley were incredibly influential to the future of Lucas’ studio.
More about the Environmental Simulation Lab here:
http://exhibits.ced.berkeley.edu/ex...college-and-communities/enviro-simulation-lab

"the Berkeley experiment" sounds like it's all about studying how people perceive the world around them... hmm....

But that doesn't account for the folk I describe.

If anything, the good reviews of the TV series have helped.

James Earl Jones, aka Darth Vader, has retired at 91 years and is done with the entertainment industry.

Disney hired a Ukrainian company, Respeecher, to take 10,000 voice files of Jones to recreate his speech for future films.

They have already recreated for an example a young Luke Skywalker in the past.

Darth Vader lives on !

James Earl Jones, aka Darth Vader, has retired at 91 years and is done with the entertainment industry.

Disney hired a Ukrainian company, Respeecher, to take 10,000 voice files of Jones to recreate his speech for future films.

They have already recreated for an example a young Luke Skywalker in the past.

Darth Vader lives on !

See my above post, there is no need for Vader to exist outside of the original trilogy - he sort of exists for one or two (excruciating) scenes at the end of Revenge of the Sith but bringing him back in more recent things is just tragic and dilutes his original portrayal.

Likewise the de-aged/CGI Luke, only that's even worse. Do we really some shitty product thirty years from now with an AI voice rendered Vader and CGI rendered Luke or Leia or Han?

I'm heartily sick of IP and of Gen X nostalgia eating up mainstream culture.

Do something new.

Studio Ghibli have made a Star Wars short movie called Zen - Grogu & Dust Bunnies. I believe it is already available.

`Tales of the Jedi` is good.

Ashokas and Dookus backstory, both in their own ways, tragic.

Dooku sees so many things that makes him question the Jedi order...unlike his padawan, a somewhat sad Qui-gon Jinn, he makes the wrong choice.

(I was unhappy at Yaddles sorry end; a creature who lives so long would surely be by nature a very cautious kind and not go confronting Dooku, a known champion fence and a Sith Lord without backup??)

We meet Ashokas family, who live off of the main Intergalactic highway; they do not speak Basic, (though enough is translated for those of us who do; and they have enough contact with other planets to know Basic...)

(Sudden thought; what does a Droid manual look like in Togruta????)

But as far as we know, Ashoka does not know her own language.

This says all sorts of sad things about her.

Real lightsaber action? Not sure what it actually is, maybe a telescoping and glowing plastic tube?

Moderators were appointed to deal with some horrific trolling. For example, at one point the full names and addresses of up to a dozen posters were displayed late on a Friday to intimidate them, and at the time nothing could be done about it until the magazine staff were next in the office on the Monday morning.

We also had the usual online personal harassment issues. Can't remember how many times I received sexually pestering PM's from men I only knew as (say) Satan's Hoof or LoveMadgickeMan. As there was nobody to report them to and no way to get them booted off, and no 'Ignore' function, I'd just decline to respond.
Even saying 'Get lost!' was engaging with them. We were powerless against these vicious idiots.

One particular troll, whom I will not name or otherwise identify, harassed women on here and even followed them to other boards. He was manipulative and persistent enough to compromise some of them.

By the time he demanded that I take a holiday abroad with him as I'd publicly promised (I'd done no such thing of course) I knew of his tactics. When he threatened to turn up and claim me in person I told him yeah, you do that, and Techy will punch you up the bracket. :chuckle:

One woman he'd chased to another board was so frightened when he told her he was on his way to visit, she posted on the board asking for help.

There's a lot more to tell about him but that's enough to give an idea about why we needed moderators. A very fine job they do too. :cool:

Was that last years news?
I don't think so...

Future SW movies announced:

https://www.theverge.com/23673917/star-wars-new-movies-lucasfilm-actors-directors

rqfebfrcuhsa1.jpg

Given the general shitshow around SW the last few years, who knows if these will all be made? That said, after canning the movies by the GoT guys, going quiet on the Rian Jonson trilogy and canning Rogue Squadron I presume they would be very cautious with announcements.

None of these sound especially promising, people don't want Disney+ homework for the Mando type movie and that series sounds like its alienating people. General audiences don't give much of a fuck about the origins of the Jedi and continuing with Rey seems like a bad idea to me, although doing something post sequel trilogy seems like a good idea.

The tone of a Dawn of a Jedi film would be GrimDark rather than BrightNoble...

The Infinite Empire is not a nice place.

Back