• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Yes, in the first film, Boba Fett was only on screen for a few seconds.

At the risk of sounding pedantic - he wasn't in the first film. Original appearance was in the infamous 'Holiday Special', fist time on the big screen was in Empire. But that was only for a few seconds so I'll let you off :hapdan:

At the risk of sounding pedantic - he wasn't in the first film. Original appearance was in the infamous 'Holiday Special', fist time on the big screen was in Empire. But that was only for a few seconds so I'll let you off :hapdan:
You're such a nerd. :p

I've just watched SOLO .. 9 out of ten .. it loses a point for Woody Harelson's pointless sulky/menopausal robot co pilot .. other than that, I've just watched Han do the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs :) .. the scoundrel ..

I've just watched SOLO .. 9 out of ten .. it loses a point for Woody Harelson's pointless sulky/menopausal robot co pilot .. other than that, I've just watched Han do the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs :) .. the scoundrel ..

Yeah! That parsecs line was annoying!

How dare you assume the gender of his co-pilot!

It was dark and gritty.

Yeah! That parsecs line was annoying!

How dare you assume the gender of his co-pilot!

It was dark and gritty.
I assumed the co pilot was female ? .. the robot had a female voice anyway .. and do you mean they used the parsecs line too often?

I assumed the co pilot was female ? .. the robot had a female voice anyway .. and do you mean they used the parsecs line too often?

Er, I was joking about the misgendering. Parsec is a measure of distance, not time.

Did they fuck that bit up ? .. sorry, I can't remember that bit ..

It's always been fucked up. The original line in the first movie was wrong, Solo claimed that the Falcon "made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs".

It's always been fucked up. The original line in the first movie was wrong, Solo claimed that the Falcon "made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs".
He already rounds it down to 12 in Solo - so I guess in the future he exaggerates even more, which works for his character!

Solo: A Star Wars Story: The young Han (Alden EhrenReich) is sheltering in a Fagan's Den along with his girlfriend Qi'ra (Emilia Clarke) . But this Fagan is a giant aquatic praying mantis/caterpillar hybrid who isn't too happy with Han's attitude. Han and Qi'ra escape but at the Spaceport Qi'ra is recaptured and Han enlists in the Imperial Navy vowing to return for Qi'ra. Three years later, busted down to being a Stormtrooper for insubordination, Han meets Beckett (Woody Harrelson) who is posing as an Imperial officer in the midst of a battle. After linking up with Chewbacca and escaping from a pit, they join up with Beckett who is a mercenary/crook. Beckett's partners are Val (Thandie Newton) and Rio Durant (Jon Favreau) a six limbed simian.

On their first adventure they set out to rob a shipment of coaxium but having fought off killer droids are then attacked by pirates on flying bikes. Disaster ensues with casualties on all sides and the coaxium is destroyed. Beckett's boss, Dryden Vos (Paul Bettany) a leading member of the Crimson Dawn syndicate is persuaded to allow them to try again. The presence of Qi'ra as his his lieutenant helps. Qi'ra joins Han, Beckett and Chewy in their new quest.

This is a dark, gritty take, a worthy successor to Rogue One, filmed with a filter which suggests gloom or twilight most of the time. We learn how Han got his surname, when he first saw the Millenium Falcon, how he first met Chewy. That was actually in a pit, some troopers were hoping that the Wookiee would eat Han. A pretty good adventure story. 8/10.

Did they fuck that bit up ? .. sorry, I can't remember that bit ..
When I first saw the line I was too young. Later on I thought it was a flub, especially when they used the right measurement in earlier drafts.
Then I figured it was supposed to be a mistake to show Han as a braggart who doesn't really know what he's doing. Hence Obi Wans expression.
Did think they crammed too many "and this explains this noodle íncident" moments in the film.
Little bit of humor of having LE-ET be uploaded to the Falcon's computer 3PO mentions when hooking up to it that the computer was rude.

Saw Solo - A Star Wars Story last night. I can't decide what was missing from the film, but it didn't leave me thrilled. It entertained me, so I can't criticise it too much. I suppose I didn't really see anything of the Han Solo I know in Ehrenreich's performance. Perhaps that would be too much to expect. But I felt Glover's Lando Calrissian really did flesh out the character a bit, and I found him a more compelling character. If I had my way, the next Star Wars anthology film would be his. The Han Solo of this movie didn't seem as quick, gung ho or roguish as I needed him to be to match his main sequence counterpart. I almost felt the writers hadn't at any point in the process returned to the original trilogy to try to capture the spirit of the character. That's a shame, because an adventure with that character at its centre would have been more frenetic and funnier.

There is much good in this film, though. It is entertaining. It throws a few unexpected twists at the viewer. Donald Glover made a good Lando, Woody Harrelson was typically good, and Paul Bettany dominated the screen whenever he was on it, as he usually does. Lando's robot was a high point. But once the experience is done, I took very little of this film away with me. Of the big major films I've seen this year, Deadpool 2 is the only one I'm eager to see again. And Ryan Reynolds' reckless, mouthy, erratic chancer Wade Wilson might be closer to the original Han Solo than Ehrenreich's portrayal, if obviously too far the other way.

6.5 out of 10 from me for Solo - A Star Wars Story

Kelly Marie Tran from The Last Jedi has been forced off the internet by "fans" who hated the fact that she, as an Asian woman, was in a Star Wars movie. Here's a very fine opinion piece on this shit:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottm...ostbusters-oceans-8-incredibles/#5b708296522a

There's a meme going round now, the stages of toxic fandom:

I love this
I own this
I control this
I can't control this
I hate this
I will destroy this

Sorry to see Solo has underperformed at the box office, because it seems to prove the toxic fans correct. This is a real problem when it comes to appreciating movies and not letting the appreciation get out of control. Call it macho bullshit for nerds. I fear for Doctor Who when it's back at the end of the year, now.

An oldie but a goodie .. TAFF WARS .. as if Star Wars had been done by all Welsh valley people .. NSFW

.. and so on .. there's loads of them ..

I read this on the BBC recently. Appalling. :pitch:
It's bang out of order, she had rave reviews after her performance and much fan love at the time .. I hope she gets back online and tells the trolls to shut the fuck up (although that's what the trolls want sadly).

It's bang out of order, she had rave reviews after her performance and much fan love at the time .. I hope she gets back online and tells the trolls to shut the fuck up (although that's what the trolls want sadly).
There was plenty of hate for her at the time, just it was fortunately lost in all the positive responses she got. I liked her. Hell, I liked the film, although I admit there are certain problems with it. (None of which have anything to do with the cast, despite what some unpleasant parts of the interwebs will have you believe.)

The chief problem is that the positive response tends to die down after a few months, while the haters will sit there spewing their bile constantly, long after it's ceased to be relevant.

Critic Kim Newman made the point he was a bigger fan of Universal classic monsters than Star Wars, but he didn't want to hound Tom Cruise out of existence for the recent Mummy movie. A lot of perspective helps. Not liking an item of pop culture doesn't give you carte blanche to behave like this. It's not a personal affront if you don't like Star Wars anymore.

But of course even this publicity is what the haters thrive on. Then again, what are you supposed to do when you're getting death threats for an acting job you were pretty decent in? There's only so many times you can call them out, but staying silent doesn't seem to appease them either. It has been noted nobody was trying to banish Mark Hamill or Adam Driver out of the internet, and they were in The Last Jedi too.

Kelly Marie Tran from The Last Jedi has been forced off the internet by "fans" who hated the fact that she, as an Asian woman, was in a Star Wars movie. Here's a very fine opinion piece on this shit:
I despise this too. However, last night I had a chat with a couple of Chinese Star Wars fans who felt the series had been overrun by 'SJWs', and hated the character of Rose who they felt was tokenistic (though they hastened to add they didn't think it was OK for the actress to be harassed, and that she did her best with a badly-written character). My point is that it's not just white men, and there's a danger of oversimplifying the toxic fandom thing as such.

Except for Chewie.

He only had a few lines, and they were all delivered in that same sing-songy voice. Non-entity at best.

(Of course, if this was a genuine Star wars fan board, such sentiment would be enough to have me taken out back and shot.)

Back