• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
What do you think are the greatest mysteries of science in the Star Wars galaxy? I think they probably know what dark matter and dark energy are since Starkiller Base is powered by it. They probably know what the full size of the universe is, how it started, how it will end and why their is more matter than anti-matter.

They obviously know the origin of consciousness and how to create it since they have “sentient” droids

That being said, what is left to wonder about?

Why "adults" are so invested in puerile stories for children?

Bwa-ha-ha-ha ... :twisted:

But seriously ...

I was looking for a place to enter my most recent post above. It turned out there were 4 or 5 redundant threads on plant consciousness (etc.) strewn throughout the two decades of the forum's existence. After a few hours of updating / editing / annotating, plus the eradication of two lengthy and unseemly flamefests on veganism / vegetarianism, I finally got them all consolidated into one thread.

I reckon you have pet Triffids.

ALL THE COOL KIDS LIKE TRANSFORMERS AND HE MAN NOW.
LOL
I'm not particularly a fan of either of those, but I enjoyed the Masters of the Universe film starring Dolph Lundgren.
The Transformers films are all dire.

LOL
I'm not particularly a fan of either of those, but I enjoyed the Masters of the Universe film starring Dolph Lundgren.

The 80s He-Man movie was directed by an alleged paedophile, so it's NOT COOL ANYMORE.

The 80s He-Man movie was directed by an alleged paedophile, so it's NOT COOL ANYMORE.
Oh, FFS! Does 'fly' and 'in the ointment' mean anything to you?
You spoilt that film for me.

"Once upon a time, in the land of Faraway..."
"A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...."
Fairy/folk tales, innit.

Adam The Woo does the Star Wars attraction at Disneyland ..

That was great!!
I've never ever wanted to go near Disneyland, but I'd sell my ass for that attraction. I've had this goony grin on my dial for 20 minutes. Awesome!! Nice find Swift!

I have a Canon camera and found the old one too abrasive so I bought a new stretchy strap for it. The packaging included instructions and a parts warranty for a year and I thought this a bit of an overkill. ‘It’s a strap!’, I thought.
Then it hit me.

1562953808076.jpeg

I think it was Kevin Smith that said Star Wars was basically Generation X's Vietnam.

Two cynical nerds speculate about what will be in Epsiode 9:

sadly, I think they might be on to something with the time travel idea.

Please God, let Star Wars die.

Now they're also doing a Obi Wan tv-series.

The Mandalorian looks excellent from that trailer. Bonus points for getting Werner Herzog on board too, most amusing. I'm told Taika Waititi is voice acting one of the robots as well. All looking good.

Damn Disney though, they are bound to not release it on Bluray so people subscribe to their streaming service. Can I as a sad childless middle aged man justify a subscription to watch it.....?

Bye, Netflix... Are we getting Disney+ in the UK or maybe this will show up to buy on Amazon? Mind you, I can't watch every Star Wars and Marvel TV show, and at this rate the market will be glutted.

Werner Herzog in Star Wars, go on, have him narrate!

Werner Herzog in Star Wars, go on, have him narrate!
Bonus points for getting Werner Herzog on board too, most amusing.
Deserves a place in the WTF thread. I mean what is that? An aged auteur. A desperate stab at credibility by Dissey? Or is the world as we knew it long gone? Long gone. Werner would know. He must be up to something, the old fox.

Werner is in the Mandalorian. Probably just a bit part, cameo, whatever.

^I'm getting interested again, despite the almost blanket negativity across the platforms. When the buffoons who diss on automatic are proven wrong about everything they predict, I predict no apologies or humility. When we watched the first films as kids, the films were pretty much all we had, and they were enough. We liked them, we talked about them, built lego, drew pictures, and then we went outside and played and forgot about them. These days, the level of hype and waffle surrounding each new film drowns the movie. You're not a fan unless you've seen 18 hours of analysis for every minute of trailer before you see the film and then you call out every bit of the 2 hours you don't like for the next 2 years. It's very very weird. Anybody under 11 watching this negative nonsense must be baffled by such behaviour. I hope to god they don't end up like this. Bad modelling, gen-Xers. Stop it! The movies are fun. Go back to having a bit of fun with them instead. Lighten up.

Ideas I've heard that I like:
  1. The lightsabers are central to everything force-connected that happens in the saga. The kyber crystals that power them are sentient. They have memory. Thus the force vision Rey sees when she grabs the saber in Maaz Kenada's pub is not hers but the lightsaber's memory from the lightsaber's perspective. All of the important scenes can be reimagined with this in mind and opens yet another facet to this saga. I like this because the marriage of sentience and technology is the story of the human journey.
  2. The Death Star(s?) also contained a central core of dark sentience which can be recollected and recalibrated for use in the next WMD. "Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of The Force." I like this because we might get to see the unbridled expression of The Force in this final film. That would be awesome. Mindblowing.
  3. The planet with the downed Death Star is not the moon Endor but Yavin4. The piece of shell Rey and Ren are fighting on in the above trailer is the same trench Luke flew into to destroy the first DS. That's cool, if true.
My own thoughts:
  • Interpretations of the new title tend to focus on the noun, Skywalker. I think the theme is located in the verb - Rise. It harks back to the moment Anakin dies as a Jedi and the Sith Vader is born in Ep 3. Sidious calls Vader to rise here: 1:45 . Verbs in Titles include Strikes, Return, Awakens (not Wakes). Rise is the last one. The Episode 6 title is Return of The Jedi, and it is well-known by now that it doesn't refer to Luke, but to Anakin. Since most are convinced the current trilogy represents soft reboots of the Ep 4-6 trilogy, this new film will supposedly be a reboot of the Episode 6 theme. Since Anakin was already redeemed in Ep 6, which Skywalker shall be redeemed here? Assuming Rey will not flip across and back in short time in the next film, it must refer to Ben Solo, who is the Grandson of Anakin / Vader and whose mother is a Skywalker. I look forward to how this will happen.
  • The Millenium Falcon might have some kind of sentient crystal or similar sentient structure within it, considering everything that is said about it and how it continues to survive, escaping intact many times across the saga. "She might not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid." This also would be another example of the entwined destiny of sentience with technology. It was also the ship that took down both Death Stars - as an assist in the case of the first. David and Goliath.

My own thoughts:
  • Interpretations of the new title tend to focus on the noun, Skywalker. I think the theme is located in the verb - Rise.
I was going to suggest that Skywalker may mean "orphan" - as in free to roam the stars without a home. Game of Thrones orphans from the North are all called Snow. What if the surname Skywalker is given to children without parnents but who turn to the force for guidance (Luke, Rey etc). But then I remembered that Anakin and his mother Shmi already had the Skywalker surname.

Back