• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
That said, I wish they would bring out The Mandalorian out on Blu-ray.....that looks half decent!

The idea of having a Palpatine become an honorary Skywalker... and all of the actual Skywalkers are dead is super weird... It's just... why? Why make a big deal about family names that way?

The idea of having a Palpatine become an honorary Skywalker... and all of the actual Skywalkers are dead is super weird... It's just... why? Why make a big deal about family names that way?

Cynical nostalgia bait, fanservice bollocks of the worst sort. It's the smallest galaxy in the universe.

Given that it wasnt Shmis name anyway.
Cynical nostalgia bait, fanservice bollocks of the worst sort. It's the smallest galaxy in the universe.
Hmmm Shmi... I can't find any info about the reason Shmi was called Skywalker. She got married to some guy whose family name was Lars, but prior to that she'd apparently used the name Skywalker. But yeah... Anakin was the first person to use it of any importance.... and he barely used the name Skywalker. He spend most of his life as Darth Vader. So... ONE person(Luke Skywalker) actually used the name prior to Rey. Leia never used it.

Isn’t Skywalker just her maiden name and she was merely knocked up with little Annie by some passing bounty hunter/Sith Lord/Space Cowboy on a one night knee-trembler in the car part of the local cantina, not managing to catch his name?

Jeepers! I think I prefer the Space Cowboy version! Unless Palpatine was a Space Cowboy in his wilder days!

For a dowdy old bore he sure was attractive to the ladies.
Interestingly neither Rey's father nor Anakin are conceived "the old fashioned way". Both are alternative methods.

Actually the idea of Palpatine as Anakin's father... sort of... does explain a few things... 'cause Shmi doesn't have that power. It's true that not everyone with the genetic potential to use the Force actually develops the ability(Rey's father didn't), but still...

So when Luke, Darth and Palpatine are all together on DeathStar 2.0 it’s a bit of a family reunion? I like that...it’s nice to see families reconcile after being estranged for so long. Such a pity that Leia couldn’t make it to the party as well.

So I've now watched all the new films and watched Rogue One and Rise of Skywalker yesterday.

I liked Rogue One particularly Felicity Jones, seeing that she wasn't given much to work with. Good action movie but thin besides that.

Rise of Skywalker was actually ok compared to The Last Jedi. Daisy Ridley had improved enough by the last film to make her watchable. I believe she's actually turned in some noteworthy performances since Skywalker? Although her screaming "Chewie!" scared the cats half to death.

Also if Kylo Ren and Rae could pretty much track each other, (yeah I know they actually couldn't but they pretty much could), Why send Rae along with the missions?

The whole quicksand scene was incredibly lazy. There was a lot of lazy writing/Deux Ex Machina insertion in it.

None of the writing was much cop. Why do a lot of these franchises have such poor writing, particularly dialogue? I think only Finn and Poe, (Why Poe for a name??) had any decent lines. Maybe C-3PO?

Adam Driver is brilliant but never felt right for the role for me.

I hope they ditch the "female needed preferably brunette" when they advertise for the next movie's heroine. A bit of a change and a little diversity wouldn't go a miss.

I've seen the middle trilogy once and the phrase "shockingly bad" springs to mind. Is Phantom et al worth a rewatch?

Finished The Mandalorian and that was brilliant - The best Star Wars thing since ESB.

Last edited:
I've seen the middle trilogy once and the phrase "shockingly bad" springs to mind. Is Phantom et al worth a rewatch?

Maybe not Phantom, but the other 2 have their moments. Just don't ask me to describe the plots.

Rogue One is one of my favourite Star Wars films of the lot. Mind you, I even enjoyed Solo - a perfectly serviceable heist movie, IMO.

I could sum it perfectly by reviewing it as ‘Guy who isn’t Han Solo does some stuff’. That’s about it.

I prefer Solo to any of episodes 7 to 9. If I came across Solo whilst channel flicking then there is a chance that I’ll stop and watch it....nothing on earth would ever persuade me to watch those other 3 again!

Being pleasantly pleased is the best way.

Back