• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
A

Anonymous

Star Wars: Attack of the Clones

If you want to read the first review, click here.

:)

I felt like maybe more was said than I wanted to know before actually seeing the movie for myself, but other than that it was cool.

I'm in the minority of people who actually liked Jar Jar, but it wouldn't have mattered to be if he was in it or not. Overkill on Jar Jar could happen too easily.

Thanks for posting the link for us, Cursed.

cool! cheers for that!! Its kinda built on the speculation already amounting round the film without letting toooo much out(IMO).

got me all excited!!

Glad to be of service.

Nice to hear that, even in its rough cut, Star Wars is back on form. :)
*crosses fingers, closes eyes...and hopes*

Judging by the trailer which I saw at LORD OF THE RINGS, the new Star Wars looks like a bloody love story. Sorry, it just isn't the same...and as far as I am concerned, these new Star Wars films a too high tech looking to be prequels.

but wasn't the republic a 'golden age'? before the darktimes... before the empire.

Yes...but not even Darth Vader had a double light-sabre!!!

*explains it away...*

erm, maybe it was a fad, or a cultural difference employed by the Sith who prefer more bravado?

Mind you, If you were Darth one end is more than enough surely? :D

NEIL said:
Judging by the trailer which I saw at LORD OF THE RINGS, the new Star Wars looks like a bloody love story. Sorry, it just isn't the same...and as far as I am concerned, these new Star Wars films a too high tech looking to be prequels.
Think of Europe in the good old, bad old days, when Rome was at it's height...then came the dark ages. Well, that's how I try not to let the yucky CGI overdose ruin it for me.

NEIL said:

He would have cut his feet off with one of those - bloody dangerous things, the Empire banned them after a nasty accident... Shall I get my coat (or anorak)

Call my cynical but I wouldn't trust Harry Knowles as far as I good spit him. He said exactly the same thing about the Phantom Menance - how he saw an exclusive rough cut and the film was great. The man is a big media whore willing to bend over for any film studio who will shove him some freebies.
I reckon he cobbled that so called review from watching the trailers and the bootleg Starwars 2 script that had been doing the rounds since last year.

NEIL said:

You should see that other trailer which makes AOTC look like a cool action and adventure movie. It was called 'Mystery' and can be found on the net and downloaded along with what I understand is the new trailer for TV called 'Clone War'.
eg:
http://www.planetmirror.com/pub/movie_trailers/
The file names:
ep2_clone_war_p640.avi
ep2_clone_war_p640.mov
ep2_clone_war_p640.mpg

ep2_mystery_m240.mov
ep2_mystery_m480.mov
ep2_mystery_m480.mpg

I have read suggestion that because of it's inevitably darker subject matter Lucus has made a film designed to appeal to an older audience, (well, big kids rather than little ones,) by making it slightly more violent (for the boys) and emphasising the love story (for the girls). Someone speculated it might get an older classification.

I suddenly went through a bizarre Star Wars phase during January which lasted about two weeks. I read a whole bunch of stuff about the new movie and it really does seem like it's going to be ace!

Oddly, Christopher Lee, most famous for playing Count Dracula in a bunch of Hammer horror films, is playing a character called Count Dooku.

-Justin.

Let's not forget that this movie features Temuera Morrison, already the coolest actor ever. And now he's playing Boba Fett's dad.

Ding ding ding!

It took me almost four hours but you've got to download ep2_clone_war_p640.mpg it is absolutely gobsmacking!!!

-J

NEIL said:

I'm sure it's a preference thing - Samurai preferred the Japanese Sabres such as Katanas, and lets face it, Vader does look like a black helmeted Samurai.

Darth Maul's twin-bladed sabre was based on Chinese WuShu staff fighting, but with the vital difference that a sabre can chop you up a bit! Interestingly enough, my last Sifu, Peter Warr, of the Wu Kung Federation, trained Ray Parks. He refused to be drawn about what he thought of the chap, except to say that he was 'athletic'....

As for the trailer, well, the trailer for Episode One looked amazing, and look what a pile of shit that turned out to be. :eek!!!!:

Star Wars II: AOTC - my review

Lucas, you have redeemed yourself.

Anyone else seen it?

No, but the general consensus amongst critics (at rottontomatoes.com) is that it is not a very good film, but that Star Wars fans (cruelly held hostage by ANH and ESB), and children will like it.

I feel worried that if I don't see it, too many conversations will pass me by.

It does have it's flaws, and it is still not as good as ESB or ANH, but it is easily better than Jedi or TPM.

I sure didn't like the corny love scenes (ie Amidala running through lush meadows in slow motion in her princess outfit), and Anakin just came across as an unlikeable spoilt brat (was that on purpose?) but the whole film is worth watching just to see the 30 seconds in which Yoda shows why he has the title Master! ;)

The way all of the previous films are tied in is nice also.

I can't really say any more than that without spoiling the film for everyone else! :eek!!!!:

Star Wars used to be so much better! What has happened to George Lucas? Is it the money? The Power? Piles?

i loved it too. phantom menace was pants, he has totally redeemed his self. although the plot was week at times. and most of the acting was wooden i loved it. the effects were as before ground breaking and good looking. dont know what happend to yoda though, he looked as though he had either wood or a bad back. nice to see him fight though!

Redeemed himself? :confused:
You both admit to god awful love scenes and wooden acting and you say thats a good thing?
I saw it and to be honest was bored, it was like a trailer expended into 5 hours (it was 5 hours? it felt like it) but still a tralier, so no plot and no acting to be seen, just action.
I don't want to include spoilers but the tasmanian devil scene had me in hysterics, although it was cool it it was also pretty funny, especially as afterwards he got his old walking stick out again.

I watched the phantom menace twice...and now i look back on that with a slight cringe...i really wanted to like it...i convinced myself i did...(wow darth maul is so cool) then with time i realised i doubt i will ever watch it again (at least not until it's shown on a wet sunday afternoon on bbc2).
This one lost me straight away..good clean popcorn fun movie, no plot, the worst love scenes ever on a film, useless acting by a central character - great set pieces that were amzing but all too 'clean', i felt totally away from the movie, it never drew me in, just like a huge computer game intro...(that you can't skip by hitting the space bar)

But it is ok if you put your mind in reverse, like purdy lights and sounds and you can get through the buttock clenchingly awful love scenes...

better than phantom menace, but than again i reckon scooby doo will be better than phantom menace.
He redeemed himself in that he can still make kick ass action scenes (just!) but story? plot? directiing? i wish he stopped at return of the jedi..

Roll on spider man, and the hulk.......

(hmm, damn, actually Rich said all i wanted in a much better way)

(obviously i didn't even want to get started about LOTR.. as i guess my name say's what i think)

Rich said:
Star Wars used to be so much better! What has happened to George Lucas? Is it the money? The Power? Piles?

No, it's time. ANH couldn't have been made today, just as AOTC couldn't have been made in 1977. It's a bit like Doctor Who in the 80s, all that continuity to think about and tie in here and there. So, yeah, it's time and Star Wars itself that are the 'problem' (if that's how you see it), not George Lucas (not that I'm defending him!).

Basically, I think it's a bit sad that people seem to actually like slagging the last two Star Wars films. That's all they're really interested in, because it's perceived as cooler not to like Star Wars than to rave about it.

Maybe the magic only works when Lucas is "inspired" by a Kirosawa film.
What about Episode Three - The Seven Jedi.

I still (stupidly) believe it could work ... somehow. With Irving Kirschner again.

August Verango said:
Basically, I think it's a bit sad that people seem to actually like slagging the last two Star Wars films. That's all they're really interested in, because it's perceived as cooler not to like Star Wars than to rave about it.
I don't enjoy slagging off the films because the original ones meant a lot to me when they came out. It just upsets me that he can spend all that money and effort and not get actors who can act, and writers who can write a decent script. It's perverse. I will say nothing about AOTC as I haven't seen it yet, but with Ewan McGregor still in it, I'm not expecting much.
Perhaps George Lucas hasn't changed as much as we have. We expect good acting now, we didn't in 1977.

Hmm, i agree with above, honestly i really didn't want to slag off lucas, i really wanted it to be...well just be average and i would have been happy.
...Jango fett AND bobba fett, 2 handed light sabre battles, yoda, christopher lee...god so much to make me think that this was going to be great
...i don't want to slag it off, i didn't want to dislike it...i didn't want to ruin it.
In fact the biggest problem is i am starting to just get a sense of apathy about it all...now that is much worse than any insult or fashionable anti starwars rhetoric...starwars simply doesn't matter anymore.

I remember being suprised and worried about the fighting when i was younger. the revalations...now its like ho hum...
And yes i have got older, but even watching the original starwars it still makes me have those feelings...

the film is pretty, great history, yet its flat, very very flat...and its only redeeming feature (so called great fx) will be old hat in under a year...

But...maybe just maybe Episode III The jedi knights and the alien invaders "the race is on" ( i think thats the title) will be a whole lot better.

Maybe a better thread would be to start up an Episode III title ideas?

Come on, folks! The acting in the originals was God awful! It doesn't matter! It's the story that makes them great. I think the political stuff is what makes it seem a little slow...the original three just rocketed through the story. Besides...these ones have kids in them...eeurgh...

I'm still not sure if I liked it or hated it.

Lots of screen time was spent with 'ship approaching planet, ship nearing place it wants to land, ship arriving at location, ship landing...' *yawn*.
Also spent the whole movie waiting for something to kick in that didn't. Can't put my finger on what -imho- the film had/didn't have but maybe a second viewing will help clear that up!

I'll be the geek that defends Star Wars, even if I might trash it at RASSM. Of course, my favorite things are things that have been mentioned above: the sabre battles and FX. Still, wasn't it cool rooting for the Stormtroopers, for once? The things that bothered me for the most part were dialogue problems, since it was plot- (rather than character-) driven: the political and romantic dialogue was the worst! The political views were about as in-depth as USA Today (the coloring book of journalism), and the romance seemed to be written by a fourteen-year-old girl that draws unicorns on her school books and views life in a trite, clichéd fashion. Sad, sad, sad! Where is the humor, like when Leia admits her love for Solo, and he responds, "I know?" The original characters were a good deal more developed than these cardboard cutouts in Ep. II. My feeling is Lucas should have jedis jumping around cutting each other up for two hours, if he can't handle characterization, and thankfully there'll be more of that in Ep. III. Obi-Wan's going to clean Anakin's clock, big-time.

Wanna place bets on whether or not Dooku is Anakin's real father?

a.k.a Darth Sidious?

Saw AOTC on saturday and now have a couple of questions....

Palpatine is Sidious - yes? But puzzling me more is who the hell taught Palpatine all that Jedi stuff? Even if he isn't Sidious he can still do that blue zappy hand thing (which we see in Jedi), so who taught him? If he's got the power of the force the Jedi never seemed to have noticed because no-one says he was trained by them.... are there a gang of people working for the Sith who go round recruiting kids with the force before the Jedi can get to them, perhaps offering them power greater than they can ever imagine?

Any ideas?

Back