Staying Strong In COVID-19 Conditions (Tips; Suggestions; Advice)

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
*Non-conspiracy material moved here.*

if you find yourself in some sort of an emergency (building fire, boat sinking, earthquake etc etc) - take note of the official advice and then make your own rational and as informed as possible decision as to the best course of action ... and then do that - even if it's is in total contradiction to what the "official" advice is.
There are several reasons why this is very good advice.

1) Not all governments are a) interested in, or b) capable of protecting their citizenry/subjects.​
2) Even those that really are--usually the democratic sort--can only weigh and balance your interests alongside the interests of millions of others and the state in general. Your personal welfare cannot be a priority; you will be considered mainly in respect of the various groups and communities of which you are a member. There will be times at which this is a distinct disadvantage.​
3) Advice offered to millions of different people in disparate situations can only be of the most general sort and, hence, of only general benefit. Imagine if every child closely observed the rule to 'Never talk to strangers'.​
4) You, in contrast, are able to employ brain and eye to judge which of those generalisations currently apply, which may be disregarded and which could be downright harmful to follow.​
5) Harm and risk are seldom binary entities (present/absent) and it is only you yourself who can judge how much risk you are content to run (and each of us runs lower-level risks each day) and how much harm (not just physical harm) you are able/willing to accept.​
For points 4) & 5) see my personal anecdote here:​
A percentage of those involved in any disaster will die or suffer owing to excessive faith in authority and an unwillingness to cast convention, manners and peer pressure aside at the correct juncture--or, indeed, owing to the inability to discern when that juncture has been reached.​

I'd rather be the red-faced chap who left the building in error and had to sheepishly re-enter than the one who assumed a false alarm, waited to be informed by the management and got barbecued in his room.

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
Remember that washing hands with soap and water is just as effective as the hand sanitizers. Originally the hand sanitizers were used in medical institutions (hospitals, long term care homes) where staff were in contact with many people and this allowed them to become more compliant with hand hygiene as well as saving them time when they were moving from room to room.

It is when the hand sanitizers became commonly used, that the super bugs resistant to antibiotics developed. Hand sanitizers kill all bacteria including good bacteria.

As well, the covid-19 is a virus, not a bacteria. The hand washing is to prevent droplet transmission to eyes, nose and mouth.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Remember that washing hands with soap and water is just as effective as the hand sanitizers. Originally the hand sanitizers were used in medical institutions (hospitals, long term care homes) where staff were in contact with many people and this allowed them to become more compliant with hand hygiene as well as saving them time when they were moving from room to room.

It is when the hand sanitizers became commonly used, that the super bugs resistant to antibiotics developed. Hand sanitizers kill all bacteria including good bacteria.

As well, the covid-19 is a virus, not a bacteria. The hand washing is to prevent droplet transmission to eyes, nose and mouth.
Hospitals stopped using alcohol based gel hand sanitizers on the wards and switched to foam hand sanitizers instead when they discovered that some alcoholic patients were drinking the gel ..

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
Reaction score

While Triclosan-based hand sanitizer is ineffective, 70% isopropyl alcohol hand steriliser works against viruses and bugs can't build up a resistance to it. Best used after washing hands, AFAIK. They still use alcohol disinfectant in Swedish hospitals (for staff and public).

Last edited by a moderator:

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
Hospitals stopped using alcohol based gel hand sanitizers on the wards and switched to foam hand sanitizers instead when they discovered that some alcoholic patients were drinking the gel ..
The foam hand sanitizers are much nicer on your skin as well. They have some moisturizing ingredients in them and dry quickly. Our workplace won't pay the extra and have gel hand sanitizers that are disgusting slimey on your hands and if you happen to squirt too much out, it takes forever to dry.
Thus the reason that I use soap and water and rarely use the hand sanitizer at work.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
we've also made home made hand sanitizer:

BUY:

2x empty 100ml travel spray bottles
2X Isopryl 99% alcohol rub 200ml bottles .. chuck 135ml of that into a mixing jug
1X Aloe Vera gel 200ml bottle .. 65ml of that chucked into the jug with the surgical spirit and whisked with a fork

.. get your funnel, pour the mix into your travel spray bottles, lid back on and give them a shake, squirt your hands, job's a good un.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zeke Newbold

Carbon based biped.
Reaction score
So...some of us are grounded and some of us are not. Some of us still have to carry on working others are working from home or have lost their jobs. Some of us have fluish symptoms others of us are a right as rain. Some of us believe all the government advice, others are a bit more sceptical....

But we are all of us going through a period of great uncertainty. We are worried about our income maybe, or our relatives. We are concerned about our own health and that of society as a whole. We have no idea what is going to happen next and we are living from one day to the next.

So I thought it might be good to have a thread where we can post anything - anything -that might lift people up a bit. I don't mean inspirational memes or quack medical advice. And we sure as hell don't need any more rumours! There's already a jokes thread too...what I mean is recipes, good stuff to read , good stuff to try. Stuff to inform, steady, and soothe each other with. I'll start (and if you don't like it, or have heard it all before - then, don't gripe, just add your own material):

A Quick mushroom soup recipe.

This nutritious quick and easy dish can be made with common non-hoarded items. Get some muhrooms. onions and creme fraiche (probably ordinary cream would do too) and noodles.

Boil the mushrooms in salted water until they are tender. Keep the water! Meanwhile slice up an onion into chunks. Then dice the mushrooms (but keep the pieces fairly large). Put the mushrooms together into into a frying pan with the onions and fry it all. Meanwhile add some noodles to the salty water and keep that simmering.

Then add the fried mushrooms and onions to the the water and noodles and simmer until the noodles are al dente. Then add about two tablespoons of the cream and mix it all together and keep it on heat. Add some pepper. Voila - you have mushroom soup!

I have this for breakfast and add a dash of chilli sauce to it.

Nordic walking (AKA power walking).

I've heard that you people in the UK are even being discouraged from going cycling these days! Well Nordic walking , which originatedas dry ski-ing in Finland, is a great safe way to keep fit - and is best done alone and in wide open spaces.

You do need two extendable walking poles (any sports shop would have them, but I expect these are closed right now). However, when I first started - several years back now - I did so by `borrowing` some ordinary hiking poles that my parents had (and which can be found in many homes).

Basically, you walk at a fast trot whilst propelling yourself forward with the poles which should be pointed away from you at an angle - so that the poles functionas extra legs and you are using your whole body to walk. If you are doing it right you will feel quite tired, but also reinvigorated after your walk.

Go Cosmic in your reading.

In times like it easy to get wrapped up in the quotidian and evreyday issues. Whether you are a science fiction or asrronomy fan or, not I would say a bit of a cosmic perspective on things is what we all need now - a sense that we're just on a spinning watery planet on the edge of an inconceivably vast galaxy. Stories of far, far off worlds and times can do the trick. Off the top of my head I'd recommend:

Sundiver by David Brin.
The End of Eternity by Isaac Asimov
Or for non-ficition: The Universe and the teacup by K.C Cole.

(Recipe edited for error).

Last edited:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
#
Is this a mistake or are you really boiling an onion whilst meanwhile slicing an onion?
You can't have too many onions.

Like Toilets. You can't have too many toilets.

As in the Toilet Sketch from Not the Nine o'Clock News.

Saw this on its first airing in the '80s, yelped with laughter. Hope it cheers people up!

Krepostnoi

Almost uniquely humourless
Reaction score
I find mindfulness really helped with my anxiety and inability to concentrate. I've let my own practice drop, so I should take my own advice and get back to it. There's quite a nice app which offers guided meditations via your mobile device or computer: https://www.headspace.com/ The paid tier is expensive, but they do have a good range of free exercises to try.

Zeke Newbold

Carbon based biped.
Reaction score
#
Is this a mistake or are you really boiling an onion whilst meanwhile slicing an onion?
Just checking you were paying attention!

Sorry. It is, of course, the mushrooms that you boil (poach?) in salted water while cutting the onions. Then when the mushrooms are tender you take them out of the water and dice them too....The rest as per the original instructions.

I find mindfulness really helped with my anxiety and inability to concentrate. I've let my own practice drop, so I should take my own advice and get back to it. There's quite a nice app which offers guided meditations via your mobile device or computer: https://www.headspace.com/ The paid tier is expensive, but they do have a good range of free exercises to try.
An excercise in midfulness that requires a phone app? Isn, that a contradiction in terms?

Last edited:

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score
Sorry. It is, of course, the mushrooms that you boil (poach?) in salted water while cutting the onions. Then when the mushrooms are tender you take them out of the water and dice them too....The rest as per the original instructions.
Thanks. I will have to give that a go but probably not for breakfast!

Krepostnoi

Almost uniquely humourless
Reaction score
An excercise in midfulness that requires a phone app? Isn, that a contradiction in terms?
That's a fair question :). I always downloaded the audio file, and then went into airplane mode. It's a guided process, and it does a good job of leading you through the transitions out of and back into your usual routine. The only slightly off-putting thing I found was that the narrator sounds just like Richard Herring.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Reaction score
We've covered this elsewhere on the forum, but make as much soup as you can, it freezes well and lasts at least a month. Read whatever books you have in the house, and come here for a laugh with you're online friends...:badge::group::cheer::curt::gluck::boozing::itslove::welc:

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
To try;

Get some large rubber bands from 'the kitchen draw that has everything in it' and strategically place them around your head so that they squish your nose/cheeks/lips etc until you look like a hollywood actress that had too much plastic surgery.
Post pictures of the results for a laugh.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
We've covered this elsewhere on the forum, but make as much soup as you can, it freezes well and lasts at least a month.
We have many cartons of tomato juice, some onions, plenty of vegetable stock and two catering-sized cans of butterbeans. So when things start getting desperate it's butterbean and tomato soup. Lots of it.

Lots and lots of butterbean and tomato soup. I'm fed up of it already and I haven't even made any yet.