Staying Strong In COVID-19 Conditions (Tips; Suggestions; Advice)

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
I have got kindle installed on my pooter, but someone gave me a kindle but i cant get it to hook up to my wifi, i need to get my very brainy nephews on it, but at the mo i cant, but no matter, i will sort something out

Tin

Ephemeral Spectre
I have got kindle installed on my pooter, but someone gave me a kindle but i cant get it to hook up to my wifi, i need to get my very brainy nephews on it, but at the mo i cant, but no matter, i will sort something out
I apologise if you already know of this site but it is a mine of free literature.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
It looks like its hooking up then says something that i have forgotten now, im not that tech minded, so for the mo i will have to use the kindle on computer, i will look for the free books

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
It looks like its hooking up then says something that i have forgotten now, im not that tech minded, so for the mo i will have to use the kindle on computer, i will look for the free books
Have another go at hooking it up and tell me what it says. I bet we can sort it. Techy is an IT manager and I have the Kindle programme on phones and Macs.

Fanari_Lloyd

Devoted Cultist
I do have plenty of fresh veg at the mo, so am mainly making stews and freezing them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lb8535

Very charming snow person
So what's a replacement for tp? Scraps of cloth? Thete actually is something in parts of the worl DC called a ahitstick. It was invented fairly recently.

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible

brownmane

off kilter
Regarding PPE ... Not sure what situation you work in, but soap and water to keep your hands clean, mix 9 parts water to 1 part bleach for disinfectant and put into a spray bottle (if you need to transport it) to clean surfaces.

Jacket_Potato

Devoted Cultist
Got a massive bag of potatoes, the way i cooked some tonight as follows, really delicious:

Don't peel, slice into small pieces and boil them til almost cooked
Heat up some oil, salt & crushed garlic in a pan and then fry the potatoes on a high heat until crispy / done how you like them
Wilt in some spinach or cook in any other veg, and sprinkle over with some cheese to serve

TV i'd recommend - the Ghost Stories film (adaptation of the West End play), amazing acting from a brilliant cast. It scared me so much i had to watch Mean Girls after (a teen classic, love it)

Reading i'd recommend - currently reading Ant Middleton's books (the man off of SAS Who Dares Wins) and they're great, really interesting & inspiring reads

tuco

Spitting in a wishing well
Regarding PPE ... Not sure what situation you work in, but soap and water to keep your hands clean, mix 9 parts water to 1 part bleach for disinfectant and put into a spray bottle (if you need to transport it) to clean surfaces.
Good tip Brownmane, I have always only used bleach and water, you know the mix by the smell after a few times.

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
Now... I have a 'top tip' to pass on, and please don't share it outwith these here boards :)

Turkish barber's cologne. It's 80% alcohol, has a pleasant lemony fragrance and costs about a tenner for 400ml.

Use it as hand sanitiser and flip the finger to the hand gel price gougers everywhere

tuco

Got a massive bag of potatoes, the way i cooked some tonight as follows, really delicious:

Don't peel, slice into small pieces and boil them til almost cooked
Heat up some oil, salt & crushed garlic in a pan and then fry the potatoes on a high heat until crispy / done how you like them
Wilt in some spinach or cook in any other veg, and sprinkle over with some cheese to serve

TV i'd recommend - the Ghost Stories film (adaptation of the West End play), amazing acting from a brilliant cast. It scared me so much i had to watch Mean Girls after (a teen classic, love it)

Reading i'd recommend - currently reading Ant Middleton's books (the man off of SAS Who Dares Wins) and they're great, really interesting & inspiring reads
Cannibalism already !

Ringo

Of no preferred gender pronoun.
Apparently you can make your own hand disinfectant with Methylated spirits, water and Glycerol. The main Swedish News broadcaster made a video.

Mix 350ml of Methylated Spirits with 150ml water. Then add about 10ml of Glycreol to keep your hands from drying out. You can also add drops of scented oil to make it smell different. You can buy glycerol from the chemist and meths from a petrol station. That's it. We haven't done it but I suppose the principle is sound - anything resulting in over 60% alcohol content will do. Just don't drink it or you'll go blind.

Here's the instruction video (in Swedish): https://www.svt.se/nyheter/lokalt/vast/sa-gor-du-din-egen-handsprit

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Apparently you can make your own hand disinfectant with Methylated spirits, water and Glycerol. The main Swedish News broadcaster made a video.

Mix 350ml of Methylated Spirits with 150ml water. Then add about 10ml of Glycreol to keep your hands from drying out. You can also add drops of scented oil to make it smell different. You can buy glycerol from the chemist and meths from a petrol station. That's it. We haven't done it but I suppose the principle is sound - anything resulting in over 60% alcohol content will do. Just don't drink it or you'll go blind.

Here's the instruction video (in Swedish): https://www.svt.se/nyheter/lokalt/vast/sa-gor-du-din-egen-handsprit
Meths is very harsh. It ruins the skin.

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
I do have plenty of fresh veg at the mo, so am mainly making stews and freezing them.
Never tried this before and sounds a smart move. Any advice for myself and others who would like to have our first attempt?

I was particularly wondering if we need a special type of freezer bag, how long the food would keep for and do they have to be defrosted, or can they be reheated from frozen.

Trevp666

Abominable Snowman
I was particularly wondering if we need a special type of freezer bag, how long the food would keep for and do they have to be defrosted, or can they be reheated from frozen.
From my own 'batch cooking' adventures I have found that the best thing to use is the 'foil tray with lid' which come in a variety of sizes, but my preference is the one which has a lid about the same size as an A5 piece of paper. You can line these up on your worktop/counter and decant a specific amount into each one (a 'portion' if you like), then with a black marker you write onto the lid what the contents are and the date you made it (which allows you to keep track of elapsed time). Then bung it int he freezer once it's cooled off properly. Bear in mind the freezer only slows down the 'going off' so best to use it up within a few weeks if possible. I've used stuff after 3 months and it seems okay but has a distinct developing taste of 'freezer burn' on certain items.

The foil tray can be de-lidded and bunged straight in the oven (NOT the microwave, however you can tip it out onto a plate or bowl for waving if you like)

Who me

Devoted Cultist
Morning peeps yeah all the fresh vegetables and the meat items people are throwing out.
We are having veggie soups etc every day but good Lord the amount of waste even on our small cul-de-sac is ridiculous.Panic buying stuff that their kids won’t eat just to try it then binning it GRR

Fanari_Lloyd

Devoted Cultist
Sorry Comfortably Numb, I only just saw this.

My soups are pretty simple. I use chicken and veg mainly because my partner does a lot of gym work (at home now) and likes his protein, but it can be done with just the veg.

Just leave out anything you don’t like that I might list. :)

Get a large pan and add some oil or butter and gently melt it.

Chop an onion, however many garlic cloves you like (or none if you don’t) and leeks and saute for about 10 mins until soft. This adds a richness to the soup.

Here is where I cut up 2 chicken breasts and add them with some salt and pepper and gently stir until they look almost cooked through. About 10 mins again.

Add more oil or butter if it is a bit dry, and depending on how large a pot you’re using mix in about a quarter cup of plain flour and stir, cooking for about 10 mins to cook out the floury taste.

Dissolve chicken or vegetable stock — or if you have the real stuff even better — into a pint of hot water.

Add any veg you like. I dice up swede, carrot, sweet potato, parsnip, potatoes, mushrooms, fresh or tinned, turnip...whatever is available, also frozen green beans. And chuck in with the stock.

At this point I usually add some milk if I’m not in danger of running out, just to make sure all the veg are covered.

I add dried mixed herbs and thyme and dried coriander, some cayenne pepper. All according to taste.

Then let it cook quite gently, not boiling, just a bit more than a simmer, for about 25 mins until the veg are cooked. Keep stirring to make sure the floury mixture does not stick. Taste and see if you want to add anything else.

(This is actually delicious if you add a swirl of cream, but there’s no need, it’s a luxury at the moment!) But I’ve done chicken, mushroom and leek with a bit of cream (before the panic) and it’s gorgeous!

dish up or allow to cool and freeze :)

If you want it more broth-like than a thick stew, leave out the flour :)

Attachments

Last edited:

Victory

Abominable Snowman
Since the Covid 19 outbreak I have turned into a Germaphobe - When I get home after going to a shop, knowing the virus can exist on clothes, this is my routine.

Leave outside shoes by front door and disinfect the soles.
Wash hands and keys.
Gargle with salt water.
Put clothes in wash, wash hands again.
Shower and change into house clothes/slippers.
Wash clothes I have been out in.

Am also drinking more green tea than usual, has immune boosting qualities.
Black pepper is anti viral so worth adding to food. (I used to get a lot of colds, but since regularly adding this to my food about a year ago I have only had one slight cold plus a flu in the winter which I suspect was an early strain of Covid 19, so if nothing else it might have reduced my incidences of getting colds.)

[Edit as per @tuco post below] : I have started taking 1000mg C per day also. I take liquid Vitamin D daily anyway.}

If I get symptoms will start using grapefruit seed extract as I have used that succesfully in the past on a heavy cold and bronchitis.

Last edited:

tuco

Since the Covid 19 outbreak I have turned into a Germaphobe - When I get home after going to a shop, knowing the virus can exist on clothes, this is my routine.

Leave outside shoes by front door and disinfect the soles.
Wash hands and keys.
Gargle with salt water.
Put clothes in wash, wash hands again.
Shower and change into house clothes/slippers.
Wash clothes I have been out in.

Am also drinking more green tea than usual, has immune boosting qualities.
Black pepper is anti viral so worth adding to food. (I used to get a lot of colds, but since regularly adding this to my food about a year ago I have only had one slight cold plus a flu in the winter which I suspect was an early strain of Covid 19, so if nothing else it might have reduced my incidences of getting colds.)

If I get symptoms will start using grapefruit seed extract as I have used that succesfully in the past on a heavy cold and bronchitis.
Well done Victory, you may also want to start using more garlic, taking vitamin C and look into licorice root, I don't think you can be too careful at the moment but I'm sure there are others who will disagree.