Staying Strong In COVID-19 Conditions (Tips; Suggestions; Advice)

Victory

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Well done Victory, you may also want to start using more garlic, taking vitamin C and look into licorice root, I don't think you can be too careful at the moment but I'm sure there are others who will disagree.
Yeah I started taking 1000mg Vitamin C daily a week or so ago.
I discussed this on another thread, I forget with who but they kindly educated me that taking too much Vitamin C can be harmful, the safe limit for males is 2000mg per day..

Garlic is anti viral too but I would only use it if I was actually ill. A friend has researched it and strongly thinks it should never be consumed in any thing above minimal quantity as part of regular food intake, it should be reserved for when it is needed.)

Liquorice root looks worth a go, thank you I had no idea about that.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
1. Consume as little media news as possible.

2. Drink quality whisky.

3. Don’t be a dick.

This has got me through the last dozen health panics, and l’m sure it’ll see me right for the next dozen.

maximus otter

tuco

Spitting in a wishing well
Reaction score
Yeah I started taking 1000mg Vitamin C daily a week or so ago.
I discussed this on another thread, I forget with who but they kindly educated me that taking too much Vitamin C can be harmful, the safe limit for males is 2000mg per day..

Garlic is anti viral too but I would only use it if I was actually ill. A friend has researched it and strongly thinks it should never be consumed in any thing above minimal quantity as part of regular food intake, it should be reserved for when it is needed.)

Liquorice root looks worth a go, thank you I had no idea about that.
Everything in moderation, liquorice root is not good for you if you take too much either and can interfere with some medications, so its important to look into things before trying anything new.

Tin

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Well done Victory, you may also want to start using more garlic, taking vitamin C and look into licorice root, I don't think you can be too careful at the moment but I'm sure there are others who will disagree.
I agree and not only is garlic is really good for you but it tastes very nice too.

Fanari_Lloyd

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Well, since we were clearing out books to sell to We Buy Books before this began, I found Peter Underwood’s A-Z of British Ghosts and This Haunted Isle, which I thought I’d leant to someone. I just find his books really cosy and comforting, the sort of thing to curl up with, not at all frightening, but old-fashioned and charming, really. I’m enjoying re-reading.

I also found The Ghost Hunter t.v. Series, not the US one, but the UK one, which I always thought had the same vibe as Peter Underwood’s stories, on YouTube. There was nothing dramatic about it, just people telling their stories.

Ghost Hunter

The channel has other similar things on it, too.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score

Schrodinger's Zebra

My joints go out more than I do
Reaction score
It looks like its hooking up then says something that i have forgotten now, im not that tech minded, so for the mo i will have to use the kindle on computer, i will look for the free books
Have another go at hooking it up and tell me what it says. I bet we can sort it. Techy is an IT manager and I have the Kindle programme on phones and Macs.
I can try to help too if you like... :)

Schrodinger's Zebra

My joints go out more than I do
Reaction score
Speaking of food... we've found a tub of Birds Custard Powder with a best before date of April 2019 (eek) - it hasn't been opened (still fully sealed up) - anyone know would it be safe to use? It has been in a dry cupboard. Can one tell if custard powder is 'off'?

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Reaction score
Genuine question - i've got a pint of milk that's been in the freezer for about a year & a half (dunno why) - if i defrost it can i drink it? I kind of thought freezing something made it last indefinitely, is that not the case?
can you not go out and get more milk? I’m assuming it’s part of essential supplies.

Tin

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Genuine question - i've got a pint of milk that's been in the freezer for about a year & a half (dunno why) - if i defrost it can i drink it? I kind of thought freezing something made it last indefinitely, is that not the case?
Smell it first and taste a little - it should be fine but check it first. Bugs stop growing only if the food is frozen to -18c otherwise you're just slowing down the rate of growth of bugs.

caspergriswoldbacon

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
well you won't die of coronavirus that's for sure. Other things.....well.....

Tin

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Btw if anybody wants to test if milk will turn into cheese if left long enough...it doesn't. It turns into rancid milk. The oldest one I've seen was 6yrs old and as far as I know it's still going.

Tin

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Sounds like the invention of cheese.
Cheese was discovered rather than invented. Milk was stored in cow's stomachs and every so often one lot would turn to cheese if left long enough. Someone experimented and realised it was the same stomach out of the four that they have. This is the only one that produces rennet.

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
Reaction score
I don't see why not. Unless you have a serious health condition, give it a go. If you tell us the name of your local paper, we'll check the obits if we don't hear back :)

Speaking of food... we've found a tub of Birds Custard Powder with a best before date of April 2019 (eek) - it hasn't been opened (still fully sealed up) - anyone know would it be safe to use? It has been in a dry cupboard. Can one tell if custard powder is 'off'?
It should be fine. Even if it's 'off' (any oils in the cornflour having gone rancid) it'll just taste a bit off but won't be harmful as such. Given that custard powder is just cornflour with a bit of colouring and vanilla flavour, it's worth a punt.

If anyone has got full-fat milk about to 'turn' then you can use it to make Paneer - great for vegetarian curries. If anyone is interested I can post recipes etc.,

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
Having done a food safety course some time ago I remember the following;
Generally you will find that the freezer does NOT put food into a state of suspended animation until it is finally extracted for use.
A freezer merely slows down the process of 'going off'.
So items that would usually perish in a very short space of time (milk, bread) will only be useful from the freezer within about 6-8 weeks and anything beyond that is pushing it TBH.
Anything with a longer shelf life like stuff that is usually refrigerated (yoghurts, cheeses, meats, ready meals) can be frozen for up to 3 months or longer depending on what the 'use by' date is when you freeze it.
And anything packed with preservatives can survive extended periods in the freezer. I took a 'catering pack' of Chicken Tikka Masala out of my freezer after it had been in there over a year, and it was excellent.
But..........You MUST engage you're own 'common sense' when dealing with foods from the freezer. Label stuff clearly before freezing. If you have defrosted something and something doesn't seem right (smell, colour) then it probably isn't fit for consumption. Loose veg in a bag and most meats will get 'freezer burn' if exposed to the atmosphere in the freezer - it doesn't make them unfit but it does make them taste a bit odd.
If in doubt - throw it out.

Ringo

Less than 2m away
Reaction score
I think anything that helps you feel psychologically prepared is a good thing (within reason). It is important to remember that the virus is not lurking everywhere, ready to pounce. It's not on every thing or every one.

Evidence shows that the claims made about Vitamin C are false - it does not help ward off colds let alone the new Corona virus. The claims made in the 1970's (by a 2 time Nobel prize winner) have been proven to be inaccurate. High doses do reduce the length of a cold (in adults by 8%) but won't stop you getting one.

You can't even really boost your immune system - it either works or it doesn't. Healthy eating is all you need and you can't jack it up with extra vitamins like a Power Up from a video game. But, I'm a firm believer in the placebo effect and taking Vitamin C and Zinc etc might make you feel better equipt to ward off an illness.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/ar...KFchKJb6h/can-i-really-boost-my-immune-system