Staying Strong In COVID-19 Conditions (Tips; Suggestions; Advice)

pandacracker

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
this may help to raise peoples spirits.

It did mine.

AlchoPwn

Public Service is my Motto.
Reaction score
Genuine question - i've got a pint of milk that's been in the freezer for about a year & a half (dunno why) - if i defrost it can i drink it? I kind of thought freezing something made it last indefinitely, is that not the case?
The general recommendation is only to freeze milk for 6 months, but the human body is often more resilient to pathogens than the recommended storage suggests, as often that advice is more to make you consume. My advice is to defrost it, then give it the sniff/tip of tongue test. The lipids will be like an unhappy divorce, and it is likely to taste a little worse than UHT milk. Some day I plan to run a dairy that milks uhts; they're a strange synthetic mammal, closely related to the polyestrie.

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
Reaction score
Yes, please. :dinner:
How to make paneer:

Full fat milk (if almost at the 'use by' date, this is best)
Lemon juice (for four pints, use about 1 lemon's worth or a tablespoon-ish)
  • pour the milk into a wide, heavy pan, bring to a full boil, stirring to stop it burning.
  • turn off the heat
  • add the lemon juice and stir, it should almost immediately curdle. Then it kind of separates.
  • leave to cool, then strain through a clean tea towel or muslin - rinsed in water first - lining a colander. Fold the muslin over the paneer and weight it down with something heavy to press out the remaining liquid.
  • Leave for a few hours then unwrap and refrigerate. Chop into cubes and use for your favourite paneer recipe

Paneer in a Chilli~Masala sauce - you will need a hand blender or similar for this recipe if you want a smooth sauce. If not, just chop everything and ignore the blending bit.

Serves 2 as a main course, more as a side dish

About 250g Paneer
2 Onions
2 Tomatoes (canned are best)
1" cube Ginger
3 cloves Garlic
1-2 tsp ground red chilli ('lal mirch')
1 tsp ground garam masala
1/2 tsp Turmeric ('haldi')
2 tbsp Ghee (or unsalted butter)
2 tbsp full fat milk
1 tbsp plain yogurt
Hot water on standby
Salt to taste

Cut the paneer into square or oblong pieces around 3/4 inch and set aside. Chop the the onions finely.

Finely chop the ginger and garlic. Then puree the two tomatoes in the blender/processor.

Heat the butter in a large shallow pan, add the chopped onions, ginger and garlic and fry till they change colour slightly and are well cooked.
Add the spices, a little hot water and fry for 2-3 more minutes, then add milk and yogurt and cook more till all the liquid is absorbed.

Add the blended tomatoes then add hot water - around 3/4 pint but adjust as you see fit. Add salt to your taste. Cook for about 10 minutes. Use a hand blender, carefully! to blend the sauce if you want smooth sauce. Add the paneer and stir gently. Gently simmer, stirring carefully. When the sauce looks thickish, and some butter rises to the surface, then it's done. Serve with rice or roti :)

Lb8535

Very charming snow person
Reaction score
Having done a food safety course some time ago I remember the following;
Generally you will find that the freezer does NOT put food into a state of suspended animation until it is finally extracted for use.
A freezer merely slows down the process of 'going off'.
So items that would usually perish in a very short space of time (milk, bread) will only be useful from the freezer within about 6-8 weeks and anything beyond that is pushing it TBH.
Anything with a longer shelf life like stuff that is usually refrigerated (yoghurts, cheeses, meats, ready meals) can be frozen for up to 3 months or longer depending on what the 'use by' date is when you freeze it.
And anything packed with preservatives can survive extended periods in the freezer. I took a 'catering pack' of Chicken Tikka Masala out of my freezer after it had been in there over a year, and it was excellent.
But..........You MUST engage you're own 'common sense' when dealing with foods from the freezer. Label stuff clearly before freezing. If you have defrosted something and something doesn't seem right (smell, colour) then it probably isn't fit for consumption. Loose veg in a bag and most meats will get 'freezer burn' if exposed to the atmosphere in the freezer - it doesn't make them unfit but it does make them taste a bit odd.
If in doubt - throw it out.
And i think in the US freezer must be 30 or below. It has to actually freeze.[/QUOTE]

Lb8535

Very charming snow person
Reaction score
How to make paneer:

Full fat milk (if almost at the 'use by' date, this is best)
Lemon juice (for four pints, use about 1 lemon's worth or a tablespoon-ish)
  • pour the milk into a wide, heavy pan, bring to a full boil, stirring to stop it burning.
  • turn off the heat
  • add the lemon juice and stir, it should almost immediately curdle. Then it kind of separates.
  • leave to cool, then strain through a clean tea towel or muslin - rinsed in water first - lining a colander. Fold the muslin over the paneer and weight it down with something heavy to press out the remaining liquid.
  • Leave for a few hours then unwrap and refrigerate. Chop into cubes and use for your favourite paneer recipe

Paneer in a Chilli~Masala sauce - you will need a hand blender or similar for this recipe if you want a smooth sauce. If not, just chop everything and ignore the blending bit.

Serves 2 as a main course, more as a side dish

About 250g Paneer
2 Onions
2 Tomatoes (canned are best)
1" cube Ginger
3 cloves Garlic
1-2 tsp ground red chilli ('lal mirch')
1 tsp ground garam masala
1/2 tsp Turmeric ('haldi')
2 tbsp Ghee (or unsalted butter)
2 tbsp full fat milk
1 tbsp plain yogurt
Hot water on standby
Salt to taste

Cut the paneer into square or oblong pieces around 3/4 inch and set aside. Chop the the onions finely.

Finely chop the ginger and garlic. Then puree the two tomatoes in the blender/processor.

Heat the butter in a large shallow pan, add the chopped onions, ginger and garlic and fry till they change colour slightly and are well cooked.
Add the spices, a little hot water and fry for 2-3 more minutes, then add milk and yogurt and cook more till all the liquid is absorbed.

Add the blended tomatoes then add hot water - around 3/4 pint but adjust as you see fit. Add salt to your taste. Cook for about 10 minutes. Use a hand blender, carefully! to blend the sauce if you want smooth sauce. Add the paneer and stir gently. Gently simmer, stirring carefully. When the sauce looks thickish, and some butter rises to the surface, then it's done. Serve with rice or roti :)
Thanks what happens if you use skim?

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
And i think in the US freezer must be 30 or below. It has to actually freeze.
We defrosted and ate some pumpkin soup from not last Halloween but the Halloween before that and suffered no ill effects at all a couple of days ago .. it was very tasty also containing tiny bits of bacon, potato, garlic, celery, parsnip, sweet potato, chicken stock, tinned chestnuts, carrots, onion .. we're still alive?

Last edited by a moderator:

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
-18 freezers in the UK are in celsius, not farenheit, so -30c is rock solid LOL
I used to work in a frozen food warehouse many moons ago.
That was kept at -40c or lower if poss, just in case there was a power cut or similar, which gave enough time to get the back-ups working.
Ooooh it was a bit parky in there I can tell you.

Victory

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Evidence shows that the claims made about Vitamin C are false - it does not help ward off colds let alone the new Corona virus. The claims made in the 1970's (by a 2 time Nobel prize winner) have been proven to be inaccurate. High doses do reduce the length of a cold (in adults by 8%) but won't stop you getting one.

You can't even really boost your immune system - it either works or it doesn't. Healthy eating is all you need and you can't jack it up with extra vitamins like a Power Up from a video game. But, I'm a firm believer in the placebo effect and taking Vitamin C and Zinc etc might make you feel better equipt to ward off an illness.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/ar...KFchKJb6h/can-i-really-boost-my-immune-system
Yes Rinus Pauling's beliefs on Vitamin C have been since debunked...but I am not convinced by the debunking!
I prefer to gamble on taking it, at safe levels.
A healthy diet is the best way, but since soils have decreased nutrient levels from previous decades, so does food.

https://www.pnas.org/content/114/11/2848

I have read today that there is theory the younger fit people dying of the virus are doing so from Zinc deficiency, they are gym goers etc who are not properly restoring mineral balances.
So I will eat Zinc rich foods also, and Selenium rich foods.

Last edited:

tuco

Spitting in a wishing well
Reaction score
I used to work in a frozen food warehouse many moons ago.
That was kept at -40c or lower if poss, just in case there was a power cut or similar, which gave enough time to get the back-ups working.
Ooooh it was a bit parky in there I can tell you.
I used to work out of a company that had two industrial blast freezers, and was told a story about a feral cat that used to run in and grab chips of meat that had broken off of pallets when the door was opened, one morning they opened the door and the cat ran out, it had been inside all night and survived !

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Yes Rinus Pauling's beliefs on Vitamin C have been since debunked...but I am not convinced by the debunking!
I prefer to gamble on taking it, at safe levels.
A healthy diet is the best way, but since soils do nto have decrased nutrient levels from previosu decades, so does food.

https://www.pnas.org/content/114/11/2848

I have read today that there is theory the younger fit people dying of the virus are doing so from Zinc deficiency, they are gym goers etc who are not properly restoring mineral balances.
So I will eat Zinc rich foods also, and Selenium rich foods.
Vitamin D is also hugely recommended to protect against Flu .. I'm taking mega doses of that every 4 days anyway because of previous prescription instructions ..

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Scientists working in remote locations and / or under conditions of long-term isolation know what it's like to be sequestered for long periods of time.

This Smithsonian article compiles some tips such scientists have offered on how to cope ...
Ten Tips From Scientists Who Have Spent Months in Isolation

Find a hobby, for starters, and don’t forget the mission, say scientists who have worked at remote research stations

The world is locked down. From the United States to Peru to France to India to South Africa to New Zealand, billions of us are confined to our homes except for essential errands like grocery shopping. We wait and watch, hoping this extreme social distancing will slow the spread of the coronavirus. No one is sure how long this isolation will last—some experts say it could be several months or more. So how can we have happy, productive (or at least semi-sane) days in this strange new reality?

There’s one group that knows: scientists who have lived in space or on remote research stations for months at a time. We reached out to several to get tips for living in isolation. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/inno...ts-who-have-spent-months-isolation-180974547/

Tin

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Vitamin D is also hugely recommended to protect against Flu .. I'm taking mega doses of that every 4 days anyway because of previous prescription instructions ..
I bought some after reading your tip and could only get them in multi-vitamins. I've been taking them for a couple of weeks now and feel generally better (could be placebo effect) and the ex said how well I looked.

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Reaction score
It's also good to find coronavirus discussion free zones. One Facebook group I'm in dedicated to ms DOS games very early on banned memes and discussion of the Coronavirus. So it's still all about old MS dos games, as it should be.

michael59

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Just checking you were paying attention!

Sorry. It is, of course, the mushrooms that you boil (poach?) in salted water while cutting the onions. Then when the mushrooms are tender you take them out of the water and dice them too....The rest as per the original instructions.

An excercise in midfulness that requires a phone app? Isn, that a contradiction in terms?
What do you fry the mushrooms and onions in? Oil, butter, margarine?

michael59

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
To try;

Get some large rubber bands from 'the kitchen draw that has everything in it' and strategically place them around your head so that they squish your nose/cheeks/lips etc until you look like a hollywood actress that had too much plastic surgery.
Post pictures of the results for a laugh.

You first. :D

michael59

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
It looks like its hooking up then says something that i have forgotten now, im not that tech minded, so for the mo i will have to use the kindle on computer, i will look for the free books
Maybe this library can be of some help?

Internet Archive is a non-profit library of millions of free books, movies, software, music, websites, and more.
https://archive.org/

michael59

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Genuine question - i've got a pint of milk that's been in the freezer for about a year & a half (dunno why) - if i defrost it can i drink it? I kind of thought freezing something made it last indefinitely, is that not the case?
It will probably taste like it has freezer burn. You never know though because it depends on a few different things.
For example what temperature do keep your freezer at. Mine freezes everything rock hard. Even a loaf of bread from my freezer becomes a lethal weapon because it is frozen so hard. :D

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
Reaction score
Another simple recipe - for home made mayonnaise without the faff. It uses whole raw egg so please avoid if you're medically vulnerable. You need a hand/stick blender for this but it's so effing-jeffing simple and lush :)

Easy Mayo

1 egg
350ml some kind of mild-tasting vegetable oil (I use posh extra virgin cold pressed rapeseed oil but bog standard sunflower will still taste lovely)
10ml vinegar (again, your choice) or lemon juice
salt
pepper
1tsp Dijon mustard (if available)

• Chuck everything into the blender beaker, or a large, tall screwtop jar (check the blender bit fits first)
  • Let it all settle, the egg and vinegar will sink to the bottom
  • Gently insert your blender**
  • Blend, whilst slowly pulling your bender stick upwards
  • You should have thick creamy mayo. If too thick add a few tsp of boiled water, re-blend. If it spearates/curdles then add another egg and re-blend.
That's it, keep it in the fridge until you eat it all.

**This is not a euphemism, though what you do with your blender after making mayonnaise is your own beeswax.