Staying Strong In COVID-19 Conditions (Tips; Suggestions; Advice)

Schrodinger's Zebra

My joints go out more than I do
Reaction score
Did anyone else think Her Maj was going to burst into song, give it the full Vera Lynn, in her message tonight?
No, but although Mr Zebra and I did enjoy her message we were a tad disappointed that she didn't call out the people who have been ignoring the advice and putting more lives at risk.

It was quite emotional to watch, though. I think we needed it.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
No, but although Mr Zebra and I did enjoy her message we were a tad disappointed that she didn't call out the people who have been ignoring the advice and putting more lives at risk.

It was quite emotional to watch, though. I think we needed it.
She could have cheered the Nation up though, especially children, if she had used a corgi hand puppet to deliver the speech. Strange times and all that.

AlchoPwn

Public Service is my Motto.
Reaction score
I heard something from a virologist friend, so it is a bit of an FOF story, but bear with me. I hope you have all heard the story about NYCity Zoo Tigers get CCP virus. Well, leopards and even ferrets have caught the disease, and there is a real danger that domestic house cats may be able to carry, transmit, and even die from CCP Virus.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Tomorrow evening my wife and I are going to try to play a game of Trivial Pursuit with a couple of her friends on Skype/Zoom/Teams etc – we'll see how it goes...

(Clue: it's always Cassius Clay/Muhammad Ali; the Beatles; Gandhi (several to choose from); Churchill; the Atlantic Ocean; turnips; Kajagoogoo... maybe...)

Krepostnoi

Almost uniquely humourless
Reaction score
Tomorrow evening my wife and I are going to try to play a game of Trivial Pursuit with a couple of her friends on Skype/Zoom/Teams etc – we'll see how it goes...

(Clue: it's always Cassius Clay/Muhammad Ali; the Beatles; Gandhi (several to choose from); Churchill; the Atlantic Ocean; turnips; Kajagoogoo... maybe...)
The answer to "how many..?" is always three.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Reaction score
Top Tip. Liven up an otherwise dull weekend by typing ‘All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy’ two thousand times, lock yourself in the kitchen cupboard, then run around spraying ketchup all over the place and then get lost in the garden.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Reaction score
Top Tip. Make the Easter weekend more educational by carrying out your own Time Team investigation in your garden. Simply dig a slit trench 10ft x 2ft x 2ft with a teaspoon. Clean it all out with a toothbrush and carefully catalogue and research everything you find.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I’m not sure of the veracity of this as it was on Apple News with a supposed glowing recommendation from JK Rowling who suggests it helped her overcome symptoms of C19. She doesn’t say if she was tested or not. JK Rowling has apparently (I’ve not checked) shared a video of the technique on her twitter feed

Dr. Sarfaraz Munshi reveals a breathing technique that’s used on intensive care patients to help them fight off infection.

According to Dr. Munshi, who practices at Queen’s Hospital in Romford, England, the technique might be beneficial to people who are self-isolating with coronavirus symptoms, as well as people who aren’t yet displaying any symptoms. “While you have an active infection you need to be getting a good amount of air into the bases of your lungs,” Dr. Sarfaraz says. “The only way you are going to do that is by having a technique.”

The technique he suggests involves taking in five deep breaths, then holding each one for five seconds. You then take a sixth breath and immediately cough forcefully while covering your mouth.

Dr. Sarfaraz recommends doing this twice, then lying on your front with a pillow to support you, taking slightly deeper breaths than normal for 10 minutes. This is important, he says, because the majority of your lung is on your back, not on your front. “By lying on your back you’re closing off more of the smaller airways, and this is not good during a period of infection. [It will] increase your risk of secondary pneumonia, that can make your condition deteriorate much further—bearing in mind the patients that are deteriorating are deteriorating because of respiratory problems.”

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I’m not sure of the veracity of this as it was on Apple News with a supposed glowing recommendation from JK Rowling who suggests it helped her overcome symptoms of C19. She doesn’t say if she was tested or not. JK Rowling has apparently (I’ve not checked) shared a video of the technique on her twitter feed

Dr. Sarfaraz Munshi reveals a breathing technique that’s used on intensive care patients to help them fight off infection.

According to Dr. Munshi, who practices at Queen’s Hospital in Romford, England, the technique might be beneficial to people who are self-isolating with coronavirus symptoms, as well as people who aren’t yet displaying any symptoms. “While you have an active infection you need to be getting a good amount of air into the bases of your lungs,” Dr. Sarfaraz says. “The only way you are going to do that is by having a technique.”

The technique he suggests involves taking in five deep breaths, then holding each one for five seconds. You then take a sixth breath and immediately cough forcefully while covering your mouth.

Dr. Sarfaraz recommends doing this twice, then lying on your front with a pillow to support you, taking slightly deeper breaths than normal for 10 minutes. This is important, he says, because the majority of your lung is on your back, not on your front. “By lying on your back you’re closing off more of the smaller airways, and this is not good during a period of infection. [It will] increase your risk of secondary pneumonia, that can make your condition deteriorate much further—bearing in mind the patients that are deteriorating are deteriorating because of respiratory problems.”
I've heard one or two doctors remark that patients recover best if they are sitting up rather than lying down.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Top Tip. People with an overbearing sense of self-importance. Go straight to the front of the supermarket queue proclaiming ‘Do you know who I am?’ and see how far that fucking gets you.
Pair of dark shades, walking stick painted white, go near front of the queue and then...

'Excuse me, could someone please help... I'm looking for the back of the queue...'.

Works every time.

Well, it does for me...

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar