• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I know what you mean, and I hope the IT movie isn't a response to fads or memes, but it was a great, King version of A Nightmare on Elm Street on the page that I spent a teenage summer lost in. Apart from Tim Curry, the 1990 miniseries was a dud. Reviewers I trust say the new one is a very decent adaptation (of half of it), though they have updated it so the kids stuff takes place in the late 80s, with references to New Kids on the Block and Michael Jackson. Some would say Jacko could make a pretty scary Pennywise himself.

IT: I loved It. Some great fright scenes, IT swimming through the flooded basement like a shark, the blood and hair in Bevs bathroom, IT goin bing, bing Richie, looking forward to Chapter 2. (Yes, this is not the end of IT). 9/10.

Here's one for the Mandela effect thread: I could have sworn that there was already a movie (not a miniseries) of 'It'. But apparently not.

Here's one for the Mandela effect thread: I could have sworn that there was already a movie (not a miniseries) of 'It'. But apparently not.

The TV movie was in 2 parts originally, perhaps both parts were broadcast all together at one point? Unless you are remembering a different movie entirely, of course.

I have mixed feelings about the book and the original TV movie. The book is good, mind you, but rather disgusting and I felt squeamish for a few weeks after reading it. Actually I read it twice and felt squeamish both times - no idea why I re-read it then. :rolleyes: As I recall I thought the adult cast of the TV movie were good actors but in general it was lackluster. The one scene I remember is Harry Anderson putting lime juice up his nose, so that should tell you something.:p

I doubt I'll see this new version, as I dislike gore and have probably gotten all I need out of Pennywise from sheer imagination.

I watched the new It, and liked it but didn't love it. Now I'm watching the miniseries, which I prefer, but I've just noticed that the young Bill looks exactly like Malcolm in the Middle and I can't unsee it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_King_bibliography

I was a huge Stephen King fan in my younger days, and have read everything on the list up to 1994, except The Cycle of the Werewolf. After 1994, Rose Madder, all the Dark Tower(s), Cell, Bag of Bones and the Outsider. (A few. Green Mile and Pet Semetary I've only seen the film).

I've read Night Shift, Different Seasons, Skeleton Crew, Nightmares, and Everything's Eventual.

The Talisman, The Stand, Tommyknockers and the Dark Tower are my faves. (apparently I have a thing for EPIC length books!) And some of his short stories are truly fantastic, I am the Doorway and Autopsy Room 4 stand out to me.

There are a few good audio books on youtube of his, which is where I found the Outsider. A decent story, but it fell right into his somewhat overused plot devices, so I saw what was coming from about a third of the way in, which is why i don't rush out to read his newer stuff anymore, sadly.

Another thing i find a bit weird about Stephen King is that two of his arguably most (commercially) successful stories turned films are NOT HORROR? Shawshank Redemption and the Green Mile, which are imho, the ones most of the general population know, but the plots are so different to anything else he has done.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_King_bibliography

I was a huge Stephen King fan in my younger days, and have read everything on the list up to 1994, except The Cycle of the Werewolf. After 1994, Rose Madder, all the Dark Tower(s), Cell, Bag of Bones and the Outsider. (A few. Green Mile and Pet Semetary I've only seen the film).

I've read Night Shift, Different Seasons, Skeleton Crew, Nightmares, and Everything's Eventual.

The Talisman, The Stand, Tommyknockers and the Dark Tower are my faves. (apparently I have a thing for EPIC length books!) And some of his short stories are truly fantastic, I am the Doorway and Autopsy Room 4 stand out to me.

There are a few good audio books on youtube of his, which is where I found the Outsider. A decent story, but it fell right into his somewhat overused plot devices, so I saw what was coming from about a third of the way in, which is why i don't rush out to read his newer stuff anymore, sadly.

Another thing i find a bit weird about Stephen King is that two of his arguably most (commercially) successful stories turned films are NOT HORROR? Shawshank Redemption and the Green Mile, which are imho, the ones most of the general population know, but the plots are so different to anything else he has done.
I'm still amazed that 'The Long Walk' has never been made into a film .. it's such a powerful story, perhaps everyone's afraid of getting it wrong ?.

There's a TV-series coming out called Castle Rock, about that really unlucky town which features in so many of Stephen King's books.

I'm still amazed that 'The Long Walk' has never been made into a film .. it's such a powerful story, perhaps everyone's afraid of getting it wrong ?.

In pre-production, apparently, though it's been in pre-production hell for years.

In pre-production, apparently, though it's been in pre-production hell for years.
I remember wanting Keith Gordon to play the slightly awkward kid who only want's to be accepted as the Presidents son for his prize and also imagining that if I made it, Pink Floyd would be the most appropriate music for it. I'm not really a Pink Floyd fan, they just seem appropriate to the overall mood of the story to me.

The Green Mile and the Shawshank Redemption are classics, defining the prison movie genre if there is such a thing. You are right Gizmo Mama, you just don't think of them being Stephen King movies or books, but they unequivocally are, and they're brilliant. While I like Stephen King's horror novels, I am not a huge fan, but The Green Mile and the Shawshank Redemption stand apart and above as some of the best things to come out of Hollywood imo.

Like the ghastly mess they made with the movie of The Dark Tower.
Probably SK's greatest work, which I read in its entirety last year, and the worst movie adaptation ever.

The book is good, mind you, but rather disgusting and I felt squeamish for a few weeks after reading it.

I'm wondering what was so disgusting. I can guess, but that was only one incident.

Looking good so far!

The book is one of his best in my opinion. It actually gave me nightmares, after reading the bit where the father dreams of grabbing desperately but not quite reaching...

It had become my job to maintain a family grave at the time so there was a bit of overlap, y'know.

I do hope that incident is included.

I was fairly unimpressed by the 80s film but I know people it really scared. Love the Ramones song from the soundtrack.

I was fairly unimpressed by the 80s film but I know people it really scared. Love the Ramones song from the soundtrack.

It would be great if the Ramones song was on the radio at some point in the remake. Anyway, apparently Zelda was nightmare fuel for certain people (from the first film).

Me: reads Castle Rock is now on Amazon Video for free.

Me: goes to the website to add it to my Watchlist.

Me: finds out it's free, all right, as long as you're paying a subscription to Starz.

Me: not happy.

The Bill Hodges Trilogy is a cracking read. The Mr Mercedes series is also brilliant and stays with you after watching. And it has a fantastic soundtrack as well.

New (spoilertastic) trailer for Pet Sematary:

You might be better off reading the book. Though it is one of the most depressing horror novels of the 80s. But the Wendigo's in this one, so... yay?

You know how it is, you should be going to bed but then you find yourself engrossed in a Stephen King interview:
Interview with Big Steve - SPOILERS!

It's about Pet Sematary, in all its incarnations, and the history behind it. As usual, this guy is interview gold. Makes me interested to see this remake now.

Last edited:
Has anyone commented on King's blatant plagiarism?

Under the Dome is basicly a copy of the 1966 sci-fi movie The Bubble.

Duma Key pinches loads of classic horror memes - the artist affecting reality with his paintings was stolen from Vault of Horror, the spooky ventriloquist doll was pinched from Dead of Night, the sand demon was originally a Clive Barker invention and the denouement in the cistern was lifted almost verbatim from The Ring 2.

Desperation owes more than a bit to Blood Eternal (even though King won the plagiarism law suit on that).

The Stand took sci-fi classic The Purple Cloud as a major influence.

Even The Dark Tower - for my money King's best series of books (forget about the woeful movie though) pinched some ideas from The Rook - in which a dimension-jumping hero called Roland Deschain SORRY Restin Dane, battles bad guys and monsters. Oh and he dresses like a gunslinger and there's a tower in in.

Back