• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Has anyone heard this one? Some people believe that Wonder's blindness is a sham, and have various bits of 'evidence' to support their claim. Perhaps the most famous of which is this:

A lot of the rest is personal anecdotes from other celebrities like Boy George and Donald Glover, who doubted his blindness when meeting him. Another thing is that he loves going to basketball games, though surely you would be able to enjoy that without being able to see by listening to the commentary and being in the atmosphere of the crowd.

Stevie Wonder Is Not Blind: The Truthers' Case

Donald Glover Doesn't Think Stevie Wonder is Really Blind

Haha,that’s odd.Interesting though.What do you think benefits Stevie by keeping up the sham? More affection from the public?

Haha,that’s odd.Interesting though.What do you think benefits Stevie by keeping up the sham? More affection from the public?
The deeper you get trapped in a lie, the harder it is to get out...

UzyAH5Z.jpg

There is some footage and stills of Stevie where he experimented with leaving his glasses off, quite hard to find now, and he plainly has significant disabilities of the eye. Why does everything have to be a conspiracy, can these people not understand that a blind man can also be a musical genius?

With DJ Richard Hallifax 1981:

Stevie_Wonder.jpg

"Ferris says that when he dies, he's leaving his eyes to Stevie Wonder." (Ferris Bueller's Day Off)

Stevie Wonder is the stage name of a musician who is reputed to be blind but is Stevland Hardaway Judkins blind? That is the real question.

I don't know if Stevie is really blind, but I know the Moon is flat.

There is some footage and stills of Stevie where he experimented with leaving his glasses off, quite hard to find now, and he plainly has significant disabilities of the eye. Why does everything have to be a conspiracy, can these people not understand that a blind man can also be a musical genius?

I know! It goes beyond meanspirited suspicion to outright paranoia. Not everything is trying to pull the wool over your eyes (so to speak).

I know! It goes beyond meanspirited suspicion to outright paranoia. Not everything is trying to pull the wool over your eyes (so to speak).

But you would say that...maybe you're one of them?!

I had a blind teacher in high school. He had been blind since birth. His eyes looked a bit odd and kind of wandered around, but we all got used to it quickly. He was pretty spooky though, and his lack of sight didn't seem to be much of a problem. I had one class of his, probably for just nine weeks. Two years later, several of us senior boy goof-offs were chatting quietly in the auditorium, where no one was supposed to be right then, so as not to be discovered. In walks Mr Wonder.

"What are you guys doing in here? I'm sure you all have some place to be."

We all sat quietly. So he said, "Joe, where are you supposed to be?" Joe fessed up and shuffled off. Mr Wonder called out two more boys by name, and they got up to leave. Since I hadn't said anything for a while before Mr Wonder appeared, I figured if I didn't move or breathe, pretty soon everyone would be gone and I could read my magazine or whatever in peace for the next half hour.

"Sam, I'm sure there is a class you should be in." Ah, that's everyone but me. And then, "Austin, where do you belong?" Shit! I got up and mumbled something about the library, and walked off wondering how he did that. It might as well have been the principal who walked in on us, except that guy would surely have gotten a name or two wrong. It was really freaky.

It's been a while since I read Ron Wood's autobiography, but I seem to remember he tells a story that he and someone else (George Harrison, I think) were convinced, after spending some time with him, that Ray Charles was not blind.

It's been a while since I read Ron Wood's autobiography, but I seem to remember he tells a story that he and someone else (George Harrison, I think) were convinced, after spending some time with him, that Ray Charles was not blind.

Considering Ray Charles regularly persuaded the pilots of his personal plane to hand over the controls to him mid-flight - while he was high on heroin - I bet some of the passengers would be hoping that was true.

Oh wow, I might've started that one myself! Really!Back when I was a sophomore, I bullshitted a guy who I'd been partying with into believing just that -- that it had just been revealed that Stevie Wonder could see, all along, and that it was the biggest scandal to have hit the entertainment industry since the discovery that Mae West was actually a man (yeah, I had him believing that one, too).

Many years ago a friend of mine met The Melvins, a weirdo noisy Punk/Rock band that briefly got signed to a major label in the wake of Nirvana's success because Kurt Cobain was a big fan and friend of the band. They told him told a number of anecdotes, including one where the vocalist who went to the loo at the label's headquarters to find Stevie Wonder in there, he was happily chatting to a minder whilst pissing against the wall adjacent to the urinal.

Probably not true but it should be true.

I only recently discovered that Roy Orbison wasn't blind.

Yup, I saw a bloke yesterday wearing the big Roy Orbison-type shades and thought 'Is he blind or just wearing big Roy Orbison-type shades for effect like Roy Orbison did?'

As a child I thought Orbison was blind too because of the shades.

I thought he was blind until a few years ago. I read that he wore dark glasses because he needed some extreme correction that made him look strange with clear lenses. Then I saw a photo of him in some glasses without a lot of tint, and I saw what that meant. I think I've seen him in an interview with no glasses on, and he looked normal. But then he probably was virtually blind without them.

Man, what a voice! He died way too soon.

Back