• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Still Puzzled 25 Years Later!

Horik

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Hi all. I've been thinking about some of the strange stuff that's happened to me over the years and 1 incident stands out as an example of high strangeness; I've never been able to figure it out at all.
I was 17 at the time (I think!). A small group of friends and myself where at another friends house one Friday evening. There were 5 of us there, 4 of us in the living room listening to music played quietly in the background and another friend, Rich, in the kitchen making tea.
We were just chatting if I remember correctly, nothing heavy. My girlfriend of the moment was sitting with me on the floor and the 2 others were sitting on chairs nearby.
Rich then came in from the kitchen with a puzzled grin on his face and said "You'll never guess what just happened to me in the kitchen! There was a knock on the back door so I opened it and the cat was there! Just sitting there looking at me!"
When he'd said this I looked down at my girlfriend and was going to say "Wft?", but as I looked at her I felt my face "change". Hard to describe but I felt like my face became half melted and warped - I remember a kind of greyness in front of my eyes as this happened. My girlfriend, who was looking at me, screamed like you wouldn't believe and refused to come near me - understandably I suppose! :lol:
She stopped seeing me soon after and refused to ever talk about it to anyone, but was friendly enough if we spoke.
The feeling in the room at the time became very charged and we were all a bit spooked.
Never really understood what could have happened and how it could fit into any world view I know of, other than momentary demon posession.
Any ideas?

The feeling in the room was charged? Geez, what was said after she screamed? You didn't tell anyone else there what happened?

lol yeah I mentioned what happened, I was as shocked as she was! Can't remember what the reaction was - put a damper on the evening though I remember that! :?

Wow! Didn't anybody else see it except for your girlfriend? You said she wouldn't talk about it.... Did she just deny knowing anything or did she change the subject? Maybe she really didn't remember?

Nope nobody else saw it but her, and me feeling it but then I'm not sure anyone else was looking at me at the time - it only lasted a second or so.
She just refused to descuss it and to be honest I didn't really wanna bring it up either so that was fine by me!

rynner said:
That cat was probably someone's Familiar....

Weird.

Yeah, did you hear a sort of tinkling sound beforehand and see someone's nose wiggling? ;)

I think I wrote in another forum how I was just chatting with a freind when her face suddenly changed. It was her but not her, the nose longer, the hair parted differently, the face evil. I had been quite good friends with her, but began distancing myself from that time.

This happened to me when I was in my early twenties: I was at a party with some of my friends, we were all getting ready to go out somewhere. I was talking to two of my friends when one of them (who was my roommate and knew me fairly well) suddenly exclaimed that I had had an extremely hateful look on my face, directed toward the second friend. He acknowledged the look, and the two of them said that it looked like I hated this guy with all my heart and soul. Like I wanted him dead. This was upsetting to me, since I had not been thinking anything like that. Granted, I wasn't in love with this guy, but I certainly didn't hate him. In fact, I hadn't felt anything either positive or negative about him at the time. I don't think I was even really thinking about him at all. But to have one's face show something so totally unlike what I was thinking/feeling is a little unsettling.

Yeah very, Crouton. I never had anything like it happen to me before or since; I'm glad to hear I'm not the only 1 that this has happened to. I'd love to find an explanation but I've heard nothing to really explain it at all so far :?

It's never happened to me again either, that I know of. I think the only reason my roommate mentioned it is because she knew me well. So that leaves me thinking that, if this HAS happened again, people who don't know me well might think that whatever emotion was on my face was my true emotion. (Which of course isn't always the case--sometimes we all want to hide what we're really feeling/thinking--but to have what is on our face be negative?????)

It makes me want to cultivate an expression of complete serenity at all times. Unfortunately, I won't know if I succeed!

Maybe I should wear a mask! How creepy is that?????

On second thought, and after reading this days back, I have a new idea for this to explain it. It may of been connected to your friends reaction to something in the kitchen, or that may be a coincidence. I would of said that the house is haunted, but I wont even make a point of that here as its not 'a must'.

Forget posession or demons. It could have just been some outside source (ghost, what have you) that wanted to mess with you guys. Ghosts are known for being mischevious, or having fun. He coulda been passing through and chose you at random, screwed with you a little and then moved on to another city at random for whatever else. In my eyes this is very probable.

Yeah ya got a point; the fact that it only happened the once gives some credence to your theory.

horik said:
Rich then came in from the kitchen with a puzzled grin on his face and said "You'll never guess what just happened to me in the kitchen! There was a knock on the back door so I opened it and the cat was there! Just sitting there looking at me!"
...Any ideas?

Just one.

Is it possible that Rich heard some unrelated 'bang' or 'knock' outside the house, maybe the neighbour slamming their front/back door. Rich mistook this for the sound of a knock at your own door, went to open it, and PURELY COINCIDENTALLY, the cat was there waiting to come in. This is not too illogical since I've had cats in my family all my life, sometimes they sit outside the door for ages waiting to be let in. Also I've heard knocks or bangs from my noisy neighbours which I've thought were knocks at the door sometimes, but were in fact my neighbours being noisy, slamming their gate etc.

As for your girlfriend freaking out, well, what can I tell you. That's women for you! ;o)

Owen

Is it possible that Rich heard some unrelated 'bang' or 'knock' outside the house, maybe the neighbour slamming their front/back door. Rich mistook this for the sound of a knock at your own door, went to open it, and PURELY COINCIDENTALLY, the cat was there waiting to come in.

Yeah it's possible; I wouldn't know for sure without asking him but unfortunately I lost touch with him years ago.

As for your girlfriend freaking out, well, what can I tell you. That's women for you! ;o)

Lol!! I'd be tempted to write the whole episode off as just 'one of those things' if I hadn't actually felt it and kinda seen it - like a shadow in front of my eyes; kinda hard to explain.

Elisheva said:
Sounds like you had a seizure, especially the part about everything turning gray. (Seizures needn't involve passing out and falling to the floor.) The brain is a funny thing; you might well never have this happen again.

Hmmm. Funny you should say that as for years I used to have episodes of 'passing out' which I was told, by people who witnessed them, had an element of spasm or seizure to them. I went for exhaustive tests at the hospital a few years back and they basically couldn't find a reason for them. Not had one for about 3 years though.

horik said:
Elisheva said:
Sounds like you had a seizure, especially the part about everything turning gray. (Seizures needn't involve passing out and falling to the floor.) The brain is a funny thing; you might well never have this happen again.

Hmmm. Funny you should say that as for years I used to have episodes of 'passing out' which I was told, by people who witnessed them, had an element of spasm or seizure to them. I went for exhaustive tests at the hospital a few years back and they basically couldn't find a reason for them. Not had one for about 3 years though.

Could be that your 'seizure' was triggered by the surprise/shock of your friend's experience with the cat at the door (for which I offered an explanation earlier). This might well have made your girlfriend freak out, for example if your eyes rolled back in their sockets or something.

Owen

oweny29 said:
Could be that your 'seizure' was triggered by the surprise/shock of your friend's experience with the cat at the door (for which I offered an explanation earlier).

I doubt it, mainly because there was no real shock at what he said, mainly bemusement.

oweny29 said:
This might well have made your girlfriend freak out, for example if your eyes rolled back in their sockets or something.

Like I said earlier, my eyes didn't roll back in my head, I felt my face physically change and the "shadow" over my eyes was more like an image superimposed over my face - like I said, it's kinda hard to describe.

I see where ya coming from, as I also see what Elisheva means. I don't really think it was a siezure though as it was nothing like the others I've had.
I only point out that I have had episodes of "siezure" (for lack of a better term) in the past.
Although I can't totally discount the possibility, this event was unlike any other I have ever experienced.

I've never mentioned this to anyone before because it creeped me out so much at the time and I wanted to write it off and forget it.

Back in college (early 90s) I was living in a co-op. My grandfather died - the first of my grandparents to die (they're all gone now). I wasn't terribly close to him, but he was my grandfather and had been a fixture in my life. The night I returned from the funeral, I was kinda hanging around in the lounge and talking to people, and finally everyone went to bed except me and this one guy, and we kept talking fairly late. Then at one point I was talking, and he interrupted me - eyes very wide - and said, "Oh my God, your face is changing!" I can't remember if I put my hands over my face or what I did, but it wasn't too long before I went up to my room and he went to his. We never talked about it afterwards, and our relationship (friendly acquaintances) never changed.

I was very freaked out by it, but I wrote it off as something like eye strain/fatigue - you know how if you're looking intently at something, such as someone's face who's talking to you, especially at night when the light's not terribly bright, your tired eyes start to form that negative impression that you'd see if you looked at a white wall or piece of paper, and the superimposition of that over whatever you're still looking at can distort it a little.

Sometimes now when I think about it, I wonder if he was starting to see my grandfather, and I wish I'd been brave enough to ask him what he saw.

Yeah we used to do a similar thing in my youth, looking at yourself in a mirror by candlelight. You keep looking at yourself (without blinking or moving your eyes if possible) and eventually your face changes. Always thought it was just an optical illusion.
Don't know if it has that much relevance to your experience though.

I found this old thread really interesting, it made me think of something similar happening to me, actually twice if I remember correctly, it was around the time in my teens that I became heavily involved with the occult. The first time a friend of mine was walking towards me at a bus station and said, slightly disturbed, something along the lines of 'your face looked really evil for a second' The next time I was sitting opposite my cousin just chatting, and he said something similar, like 'whoa! Your face looked looked like a demon just then' I never thought much of it, but it's interesting to read about the phenomenon happening to other people.

The term for this among mediums and spiritualists is transfiguration. It was/is often claimed during classic seances.

O
The term for this among mediums and spiritualists is transfiguration. It was/is often claimed during classic seances.

One assumes studies like this have been mentioned on these boards before? The 'Mirror Illusion' is quite creepy when its performed right. Also works sometimes if you are sitting facing another person in a dark-ish room. I know, I have tried it.

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/tswj/2014/946851/

The GP-turned - medium Ian Rubenstein, in his book Consulting Spirit, recalls the only supernatural occurences in his life prior to hismiddle aged development of apparent mediumship. When he was 19 in 1974,he writes, he was at home with his sister, mate and the mate's girlfriend, who he felt an unspoken mutual attraction for.

"I was speaking and happened to glance at her. But instead of Felicity, I found myself staring at a snow queen - a female entitty with shoulder length blonde hair and well defined cheekbones. In particular she had inhumanly thick lips, as if they were somehow distorted, which appeared very pale, as if she was wearing frosted lipstick. Her ice blue eyes were the most striking thing about her" etc etc, he goes on about herstaring at him and thoughts impressed on his mind but continues " This lasted maybe two or three seconds. Tears were rolling down my face. I could hear someobne screaming. My sister had jumped up out of her chair and was shouting at the top of her voice "My God, can you see those lips?" I turned to my sister and said "What? You've seen it too?" When I looked again at Felicity she was completely normal"

Felicity felt nothing and the mate saw nothing.

I have heard talk of spiritualist churches and mediums tranfiguring their faces.
Has anyone found video or pictures of such an event ?

I used stare at a mirror in low light to watch my face change into horrific and twisted faces.
I 'dared' myself one night to not blink or look away to see what would happen, and after watching my face distort for a couple of minutes it went back into my own face - and I wasn't able to watch it change again.

I saw someone's face change once. I was in a restaurant, sitting in the front, and saw a man I knew on the corner out front. This guy had a lot of emotional issues, was going thru a divorce, was horrible to his son, and basically just had a big chip on his shoulder...anyway, as he waited he grew impatient, kept looking at his watch and up and down the street, obviously waiting for a ride. As his impatience grew his face totally changed, until it was twisted and angry. He didn't look anything like himself. His face almost twisted to one side and he had a mean non human look.. Several months later I ran into his wife. When I asked her how the x was, she said that there was something wrong with him, with his face, that she couldn't understand, that he had physically 'turned ugly.' I think it might have been the ugly finally surfacing. It was quite shocking to see him morph like that.

I saw someone's face change once. I was in a restaurant, sitting in the front, and saw a man I knew on the corner out front. This guy had a lot of emotional issues, was going thru a divorce, was horrible to his son, and basically just had a big chip on his shoulder...anyway, as he waited he grew impatient, kept looking at his watch and up and down the street, obviously waiting for a ride. As his impatience grew his face totally changed, until it was twisted and angry. He didn't look anything like himself. His face almost twisted to one side and he had a mean non human look.. Several months later I ran into his wife. When I asked her how the x was, she said that there was something wrong with him, with his face, that she couldn't understand, that he had physically 'turned ugly.' I think it might have been the ugly finally surfacing. It was quite shocking to see him morph like that.

Bell's Palsy?
Bells-palsy.jpg

Back