• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Stone Circles Causing Shocks (Electrical Sensations)

Fatnoseyann

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I visited the 12 Apostles stone circle on Ilkley Moor about 10 years ago on a cold, wet, wintery day. I walked around the circle examining the stones, and got what I can only describe as an electric/static shock on touching one of them. Nothing too serious, but enough to cause me to snatch my hand away.

Anyone had a similar experience or have any explanations?

Hmm ... might seem just that bit too obvious like ..... but perhaps you had built up a static charge through clothing friction etc and earthed via the wet stone....

... and there's a rock up there going "I'll never forget the day that guy zapped me!"

The thing is, I'd already touched a few of the other stones.

I've had shocks before from static built up in clothing, but this was different, it went all the way up my arm making it go rigid for a second. It was a tingling sensation.

As far as you could tell were all the stones of the same type of rock - was this one different in any way?

Hi Langers
The late Tom Lethbridge recounts in one of his books (cant remember which one ) that he received a mild electric shock when pendulum dowsing at the Merry Maidens.
Our own Brian Elwood reported the same thing happening to a friend of his at the same location

http://www.disorganization.com/danbala/History/Megaliths.html

Photographs of some menhirs show radiations of light emanating from them, leading some researchers to theorize that the creators of the stones imbued them with Earth energy" for sacred or psychic purposes. Individuals have reported discomfort near some menhirs at night, saying the stones radiate disturbing energy forces, which produce electric shock sensations when touched.

There's the pretty well-known theory that standing stones, stone circles etc were erected at sites of strong earth energies / crossing of leys / vortices in the earth's magnetic current etc etc etc to either mark or intensify the energy because ancient folk believed or used these places as sacred ............

.......... I'm no expert and wouldn't like to really offer an opinion : it all seems rather speculative and I thought leys had fallen from favour somewhat but I do like the idea of tangible earth energies ... in Supernatural Pennines, Jenny Randles (which I mention because I just read it, not because it is the definitive textbook on the subject or anything, like I say, this isn't really my field .... anyway it's the right area for the 12 Apostles) seems to attribute all sorts of physical, visible and psychological effects to the upsurging of earth energies at specific points on the earth's surface, suggesting geology (quartz-bearing rock under pressure) is behind the phenomeneon.

This kind of thing was investigated maybe 20years ago by a mixture of scientists dowsers etc. I think it was called Project Dragon Path.I still have the science page from The Guardian reporting on some of their freaky findings.
If no one turns up anything on it I will see if I can post the article.
(I will need one of my sons to do that for me as I am old and technically incompetent)

As far as I remember there was nothing different about the stone compared to the others, though I can't be sure. I think they were probably wet at the time, and my hands were very cold (it being winter).

Paul Deveraux discovered similar things happening at other sacred sites around the country. The Dragon Project recorded many such instances.

The Twelve Apostles circle has been messed about with in recent times quite a bit, but the site is still aligned with others on the moor and to the lunar standstill.
Curious lights have also been reported form the circle.
(There's some pics and info on my site HERE )

IIRC, an uncle of mine received a mild shock from one of the uprights at Stonehenge, sometime back in the late '60s (no, drugs were involved!).

That's right, a friend of mine reported similar tingling sensations when close to the stones, without even needing to touch them.
Doubt that it would be natural static electricity in your case as static charges tend to leak away in wet weather without building up, best conditions being very low humidity, often occuring when it has been dry and frosty. Wearing plastic wellies however does help preserve and so build a charge up.
Other possibilities are that crystals such as native quartz, which generate high charges when deformed under pressure, are in the granite stones and could be a cause.

I’ve attached a photo of a friend sitting on one of the Rollright Stones taken around the mid-late 1980s. She said she could feel a deep and pleasant vibration coming up through the stone, and would happily have sat there all day!!

Speaking for myself, I’ve touched loads of megaliths in my time; but have never received any shocks or whatever. However, I know this sounds daft; but I’ve found that the fillings in my teeth sometimes start to vibrate when I’m at an ancient place (Dragon Hill, Uffington and West Kennet Long Barrow never fail to set them off). It’s not unpleasant, the closest I can describe it is like the ‘background hum of the universe’ that comes with a mild trip (ahem!).

Hello everyone,

I realize this is a discussion began many years ago. Interestingly though, my experience that I’d like to ask about happened around 2007. I decided to go online and see whether anyone else has had a similar experience as I have had. I live in California now, but I used to live in Switzerland for 16 years.
In 2007 I was visiting Clendy, a small town on the southern end of Lake Neuchâtel, near Yverdon-les-Bain.
Europe has a long, rich history of places built along ley lines, and in Switzerland in particular, many ancient civilizations erected until medieval times, menhirs, tall stones erected alone, or in circles or rhomboid shapes. Most are in clearings in the way Stonehenge was in the UK. The Clendy Stones, as they're called in English, are in a clearing between the lake and the highway.
Frequently tour groups can be seen walking through them. Once a month at every full moon I'd gather my stones, meditation mat and candles, go the car and make the 2.5 hour drive from Basel, where I lived. I'd take everything to pray, clean and energize my stones and crystals under the moon, be there rain, shine or snow.
On one afternoon as I sat in meditation at the base of one of the menhirs, in came a tour group with a guide.
To this day I don't know what possessed me to get up and join them, yet there I was, walking with the single file of men and women getting a tour in English. What better way to learn what the locals think, right? As we all walked on the inside in line next to the menhirs of the rhomboid, I was hearing the guide speak of Roman times, Dolomites and several other topics I now do not remember, but as we were walking, all in the same instant I saw from of the corner of my left eye a flash of white light, heard a ZAP!, then realized I glimpsed a white electrical bolt about 3 inches long and 1/8" thick as it darted from the Menhir, striking my upper left arm! Imagine a white string of yarn, wiggly and almost straight, same width, but of light.
A man behind me, eyes wide and startled, saw it, as did another person near him.
It all happened in an instant, then gone, and the thing about it was, it was a loud snap as it struck my arm. I stood, holding the area with my other hand as people stared at me in awe, asking if was ok.
So...
Ancient menhirs, full moon, walking next to it on an innocently warm, June summer day.
I know they're Neolithic, erected some 6000+ years ago. Some are even carved into the shapes of people. If you've been to Carnac (France), they're similar.
Anyone have answers?

I've told this story many times over the past 13 years since it happened. I usually get responses like, "I've never heard of that before" or "Uhhh... Yeah. Ooooookay!"

As entertaining as it sounds, getting zapped from an ancient Menhir was not at all entertaining, at least not for me.

Welcome to the forum, Spin Crystal.

You described how the electrical bolt appeared, but there's nothing about whether or not you felt anything when it struck your arm. Was there a shock, pinprick, or other sensation at the point of contact?

EnolaGaia,
Yes you are correct. I meant to give more detail! Yes I was shocked but it stayed in my arm only, it did not make any obvious current through my whole body. I know it did on some level, but I was only physically aware, and to be honest I was quite startled by it that I wouldn't have noticed in light of that.
It felt like an electrical jab, on point of entry. It was not friendly and sometimes I do wonder if it was of some force other than of nature, reason being that there were a lot of people there and I would understand if something wasn’t happy. I’ve come across these things in the past. That place is normally very very quiet and peaceful. If it was not a warning, then it was the energy of ley lines, gathered into the menhirs.
I've done a lifetime of energy work and my own energy is visible on film. We are all conduits of nature's energy life force. Understanding it is another experiential matter in its entirety.

@Spin Crystal - welcome to the forum. Your story is very interesting, indeed fascinating.

Let me ask you a question: are you at all familiar with a creative written work named "Gathered Magic" by Victoria DeLuis & Meg Cowley (listed as being fourth and last in a series named 'Relic Guardian')
http://victoriadeluis.com/blog/gathered-magic/

Normally, the art of opening doorways is handed down from Traveller to Traveller. I learnt from my father, and he learnt from his father, and so on. My father would open doorways for me, I would step through and learn the look and feel of each location.” Nathan scratched his chin. “Travellers can’t open a doorway to a place they’ve never been shown.”

“Well, that’s ridiculous. If that were the case, how were the doorways opened in the first place? How would new worlds be discovered? Besides, the first portal I opened was to a world I’d never visited, and I opened one to Mount Kailash just using photographs of the area.”

“Hundreds of years ago, there are records of Travellers being able to open a doorway to an unknown destination, but none are known to exist now.”

“We can open random doorways without knowing where we’ll end up, but tend to avoid such acts. Who knows what sort of world we’ll end up in, or where in that world we’ll be? As a rule, we stick to creating portals to the worlds we know.”

“Do you doubt I can do it?”

Nathan shook his head. “Not at all. I’ve just never seen it.”

I looked around the cemetery to make sure that no-one was watching. The wind rustled the flowers and the chaffinch watched from the tree, but everything else was silent.

“Then you want me to show you I can.” I raised my hand, ready to call the magic of the ley lines and open the doorway to Davenport’s world, but Nathan stopped me.

“Let’s practise on a few other locations first,” he said.

“Okay, where did you have in mind?”

Nathan shot a blast of energy from his hand. A portal momentarily split the air, before disappearing. “How about there?” Nathan said.

“It shouldn’t be possible,” he said after I’d repeated the task eight times. “Every time, the exact location.” He paced back and forth, and I could practically see his mind working through unknown implications. “Open one to a random place. Somewhere you’ve never been before, and somewhere you’ve never seen a portal open to.”

I raised my hands and thought about what he’d asked. I stood there, trying to think of where I could open a doorway, but nowhere came to mind. “How about the Clendy Stones back in Switzerland?”

“Have you ever been there?”

“Yes. A long time ago, but I’ve never opened a doorway there.”

I post the extracts above, from the online excerpt linked, with my my added emboldenment to the two sentences I've highlit from it.

This I do without comment, judgement or conclusion (I am possessed of the openest of minds to any theory in the universe, yet I doubt absolutely everything).

So what say you @Spin Crystal ?
Carl-Sagan-4.png

(ps after the Clendy Stones were re-revealed (some online sources state that they were previously-protected by being covered by water up into the late 19thC) apparently at least some of the site was re-erected in the mid-1980s. Stonehenge itself has had lots of modern-day re-jigging, but I found the fact of the Clendy Stones being recently reinstated an interesting context factor)

Last edited:
Piezoelectricity? Static electricity?
With all the people passing through, the stones may accumulate a static charge because of the capabilities inherent in their crystalline structure.
Also, this: https://geology.com/minerals/triboluminescence/ - a fine fracture in a rock may cause triboluminescence, which is an electrical and photonic discharge.
Just a thought I'm throwing out there.

With all the people passing through, the stones may accumulate a static charge because of the capabilities inherent in their crystalline structure.
Also, this: https://geology.com/minerals/triboluminescence/ - a fine fracture in a rock may cause triboluminescence, which is an electrical and photonic discharge.
Never heard of this, but got to be a likely explanation. On the other hand the original post was about Ilkley Moor, which can be a spooky place indeed(with or without your hat).

Hello everyone,

I realize this is a discussion began many years ago. Interestingly though, my experience that I’d like to ask about happened around 2007. I decided to go online and see whether anyone else has had a similar experience as I have had. I live in California now, but I used to live in Switzerland for 16 years.
In 2007 I was visiting Clendy, a small town on the southern end of Lake Neuchâtel, near Yverdon-les-Bain.
Europe has a long, rich history of places built along ley lines, and in Switzerland in particular, many ancient civilizations erected until medieval times, menhirs, tall stones erected alone, or in circles or rhomboid shapes. Most are in clearings in the way Stonehenge was in the UK. The Clendy Stones, as they're called in English, are in a clearing between the lake and the highway.
Frequently tour groups can be seen walking through them. Once a month at every full moon I'd gather my stones, meditation mat and candles, go the car and make the 2.5 hour drive from Basel, where I lived. I'd take everything to pray, clean and energize my stones and crystals under the moon, be there rain, shine or snow.
On one afternoon as I sat in meditation at the base of one of the menhirs, in came a tour group with a guide.
To this day I don't know what possessed me to get up and join them, yet there I was, walking with the single file of men and women getting a tour in English. What better way to learn what the locals think, right? As we all walked on the inside in line next to the menhirs of the rhomboid, I was hearing the guide speak of Roman times, Dolomites and several other topics I now do not remember, but as we were walking, all in the same instant I saw from of the corner of my left eye a flash of white light, heard a ZAP!, then realized I glimpsed a white electrical bolt about 3 inches long and 1/8" thick as it darted from the Menhir, striking my upper left arm! Imagine a white string of yarn, wiggly and almost straight, same width, but of light.
A man behind me, eyes wide and startled, saw it, as did another person near him.
It all happened in an instant, then gone, and the thing about it was, it was a loud snap as it struck my arm. I stood, holding the area with my other hand as people stared at me in awe, asking if was ok.
So...
Ancient menhirs, full moon, walking next to it on an innocently warm, June summer day.
I know they're Neolithic, erected some 6000+ years ago. Some are even carved into the shapes of people. If you've been to Carnac (France), they're similar.
Anyone have answers?

I've told this story many times over the past 13 years since it happened. I usually get responses like, "I've never heard of that before" or "Uhhh... Yeah. Ooooookay!"

As entertaining as it sounds, getting zapped from an ancient Menhir was not at all entertaining, at least not for me.
Thanks for reviving this old thread - I'd not seen it before. I can well believe what you're saying, having visited a lot of sacred sites. And some have very different atmospheres to others. Some feel 'dead', or do when they're full of tourists. But very different when everyone's gone home cept you.

Pagan friend and I visited Castlerigg in Cumbria on our way home from somewhere. I go there a lot or did when my son was at uni in Cumbria. It was crawling with tourists, at the time and she said how she felt it was like shut down because they were all there. I felt she was right. Somehow, it was responsive. It just was.

When my youngest was a baby we went to Cornwall for a fortnight with the express purpose of visiting every single stone circle and holy site we could manage in that time. One particularly remote one - I forget which one, well forget its name but I can recall the place itself, well - I had baby in my arms and as I walked round it (clockwise, as we always do), baby touched each stone in turn. And his face was lit up with this beatific smile I've never forgotten.

I have no doubt at the risk of sounding woo that they have a special energy - or many of them still do.

ETA: Sadly this same baby is now 17 and hasn't become a hippy, but is a gruff football fan with more interest in football stats and Fred Perry T shirts than stone circles - which is to me, a pity but to him a relief.

I visited the 12 Apostles stone circle on Ilkley Moor about 10 years ago on a cold, wet, wintery day. I walked around the circle examining the stones, and got what I can only describe as an electric/static shock on touching one of them. Nothing too serious, but enough to cause me to snatch my hand away.

Anyone had a similar experience or have any explanations?
This website is fascinating in that it mentions the connections to form Plasma, via Lighting hitting Megaliths causing them to store an electrical charge/charge, and a way to channel it along the leys.
https://thedailyplasma.blog/2017/10/26/lightning-and-megaliths-the-connection/comment-page-1/

Reading through some the above text, just reminded me of something that happened when at my place of work. I was a wood-worker (since retired) operating a large planning machine. After processing 1,000s of lengths of mostly beech wood, I had to (as normal) clear up a lot of the finer sawdust left behind on floor and machine.
Using only a cheap type of plastic dust brush & pan, after I'd swept up the last of the dust I went to tip it into the dustbin - when I noticed that some of the finer dust had formed 'chains' of dust just below the pan. I thought 'that's pretty odd.' "If" plastic is supposed to be a non-conductor of electricity (static or otherwise) "I don't know if that is factual, or not," and wood is also a non-conductor - then why were the filaments and chains of dust and 'static electricity(?)' forming below the lip of the dust pan, appearing just like the demonstrations we all had at school when using iron filings and a magnet showing the path of the magnetic 'flow?' except these were vertical chains, not displaying as with a flat plane.

Reading through some the above text, just reminded me of something that happened when at my place of work. I was a wood-worker (since retired) operating a large planning machine. After processing 1,000s of lengths of mostly beech wood, I had to (as normal) clear up a lot of the finer sawdust left behind on floor and machine.
Using only a cheap type of plastic dust brush & pan, after I'd swept up the last of the dust I went to tip it into the dustbin - when I noticed that some of the finer dust had formed 'chains' of dust just below the pan. I thought 'that's pretty odd.' "If" plastic is supposed to be a non-conductor of electricity (static or otherwise) "I don't know if that is factual, or not," and wood is also a non-conductor - then why were the filaments and chains of dust and 'static electricity(?)' forming below the lip of the dust pan, appearing just like the demonstrations we all had at school when using iron filings and a magnet showing the path of the magnetic 'flow?' except these were vertical chains, not displaying as with a flat plane.
I'm guessing that it's some kind of paramagnetic effect. The dustpan is plastic and would probably accumulate a static charge, whereas the wood dust may be weakly affected by the charge (perhaps its chemical composition allowed it). Pretty much any kind of fine dust may display these properties, because the small size allows it. Any larger, and you wouldn't see it happening.

Nice find.

Slightly OT, but the abstract from the 2003 article at the base of that page reads:
The Use of the Strauch Scale to Study Dream Reports from Sacred Sites in England and Wales
Stanley Krippner, Paul Devereux, and Adam Fish

Dreaming: Journal of the Association for the Study of Dreams. Vol 13(2) 95-105, June 2003.

Thirty-five volunteers spent between one and five nights in one of four unfamiliar outdoor “sacred sites” in England and Wales where they were awakened following rapid eye movement periods and asked for dream recall. They also monitored their dreams in familiar home surroundings, keeping dream diaries. Equal numbers of site dreams and home dream reports were obtained for each volunteer. Two judges, working blind and independently, evaluated each of the resulting 206 dream reports, using the Strauch Scale which contains criteria for identifying “bizarre,” “magical,” and “paranormal” elements. Of the 103 site dream reports, 46 fell into one of these categories, versus 31 of the home dream reports. A number of explanations exist for this difference, including expectancy, suggestion, the effect of unfamiliar surroundings, the nature of the volunteers' awakenings, and possible anomalous properties of the sacred sites. The latter possibility, however, is unlikely due to the fact the 22 volunteers reported site dreams containing Strauch Scale items, while 20 reported home dreams containing these content items, a minimal difference.

I should think the impact of stress in unfamiliar situations would promote some pretty fierce brain activity during REM sleep. Not sure it means anything, but. Put the same subjects into non-sacred spaces that would be equally unfamiliar and you'd expect the same results, no?

I love the idea that standing stones possess and emit unusual properties. Being near natural outcroppings in the landscape has some effect on the organism for sure. Geomagnetic or whatever. Things happen. Very cool.

@Spin Crystal - welcome to the forum. Your story is very interesting, indeed fascinating.

Let me ask you a question: are you at all familiar with a creative written work named "Gathered Magic"
@Spin Crystal never did answer my question. And the >last< time they are shown as being active on this forum is less than 2days after their first post, above.

Sadly....

@Spin Crystal never did answer my question. And the >last< time they are shown as being active on this forum is less than 2days after their first post, above.

Sadly....
Hello Ermintruder!
I have to begin to read the responses to my post. A few days after writing I turned my attention to my father who fell ill. Until a few days ago I had not been able to sit for anything other than sleep. Family takes priority. After reading the responses here, I am bowled over! No way could I have foreseen the variety of interesting topics and informational links sent by all of you on here. It certainly is a privilege and no accident I came upon this site!

Now. I shall get to all of it!

Ciao for now, but soon I will put my stamp again. Need a bit to read!

Back