Stone Circle Shock

@Spin Crystal never did answer my question. And the >last< time they are shown as being active on this forum is less than 2days after their first post, above.

Sadly....
Hello Ermintruder!
I have to begin to read the responses to my post. A few days after writing I turned my attention to my father who fell ill. Until a few days ago I had not been able to sit for anything other than sleep. Family takes priority. After reading the responses here, I am bowled over! No way could I have foreseen the variety of interesting topics and informational links sent by all of you on here. It certainly is a privilege and no accident I came upon this site!

Now. I shall get to all of it!

Ciao for now, but soon I will put my stamp again. Need a bit to read!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Hello Ermintruder!
I have to begin to read the responses to my post. A few days after writing I turned my attention to my father who fell ill. Until a few days ago I had not been able to sit for anything other than sleep. Family takes priority. After reading the responses here, I am bowled over! No way could I have foreseen the variety of interesting topics and informational links sent by all of you on here. It certainly is a privilege and no accident I came upon this site!

Thank you for your input here. As you say, family comes first. I hope all is well with your father.

Sid

Devoted Cultist
I love the idea that standing stones possess and emit unusual properties. Being near natural outcroppings in the landscape has some effect on the organism for sure. Geomagnetic or whatever. Things happen. Very cool.
Hi 'Skinny.' I remember one place in particular in Scotland where I lived many years ago, of coming across a large - long, fallen standing stone (now there's a great contradiction in terms of explaining something!) in the middle of a fairly out-of-the-way standing stone sight - but since then, I've forgotten the name of the place where it was... anyway, carved into the stone were a multitude of cup-marks of varying sizes in which I placed round labels to highlight them on film, and a long carved incision between them. What was my interpretation of those was personally speaking, was that the whole markings were a crude form of a mapping, probably depicting houses of the day within forest land, and the river (the Tay) was the long incised carved line, only my own theory though you understand - but basically, it seemed to me at the time to have made perfect sense?

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
What was my interpretation of those was personally speaking, was that the whole markings were a crude form of a mapping, probably depicting houses of the day within forest land, and the river (the Tay) was the long incised carved line,
Your interpretation reminds me of what I've read about Indigenous Australian paintings—that they are maps of the Dreamtime landscape (IIRC).
https://www.aboriginalart.com.au/culture/dreamtime2.html
https://www.aboriginal-art-australia.com/aboriginal-art-library/aboriginal-dot-art-behind-the-dots/
https://gagosian.com/exhibitions/2019/desert-painters-of-australia-part-two/

So—your interpretation makes sense to me!
(Apologies for the plethora of links—I love paint!)

maxley

Junior Acolyte
Hello all.
Many years ago I and the missus visited the Merry Maidens stone circle near St Buryan in the very toe of Cornwall. It was a sunny day, we were on holiday, we were looking forward to a pub lunch and frankly all was right with the world.

It was 10 am on a weekday and we were the only visitors. But after a few minutes in the circle, I began to feel ill. I felt physically sick, deeply unhappy and on edge. It was oppressive and very unpleasant. My wife curtailed her meandering and came over. Before I said a word, she told me she felt nauseous and wanted to go. It lifted from both of us a little when we left, but we both felt really out of sorts for an hour. In the car, my wife described it as like a hangover, but with the regret and shame amplified. I simply felt miserable and sick.

We hadn't been drinking the night before, it almost certainly wasn't food-poisoning and we were both fine and cheerful before. Could be lots of things. Radon gas, nearby crops being sprayed etc, but from that day to this, we believe it was the stones.

Sid

Devoted Cultist
Interesting report: I imagine that if the ill effects were down to being directly effected via being in the circle of stones themselves, then it might well also have happened to other people who have visited the stone circle too?

Sid

Devoted Cultist
We have threads on 'Places That Feel Weird' or somesuch.
Came across this message buried within another Forums web sight page's 'Escargot.' Might also help to explain some of the links between electricity, and strange effects when in the stone circle's.

The sight is: http://www.megalithic.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=Forum&file=viewtopic&topic=7506&forum=4
The message on the page is listed as being Posted from 'cropredy,' on 17-09-2017 at 17:48
Certainly seems to add some cred as to 'maxley & his wife' experiencing strangeness within the Merry Maidens Circle as has been re-told!

MrRING

Antediluvian
If this helps, the old Time-Life "Mysteries of the Unknown" series has as one of their reenactments being a visitor who fashions something out of wire and received a blast of energy that knocks them unconscious.

You can see it at this trailer about 1:15 in...

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
A fun video clip — the telephones made me feel nostalgic.

I have to wonder what the medical history was of the man with the wires "shaped like an ancient Egyptian symbol" who got knocked unconscious when he pointed them at Stonehenge. (I suppose that is an implied "Dismissed as Coincidence".)

The story of the precognitive dream of buried children was told in the podcast "Unexplained", episodes 9 and 9 Extra. They describe the Aberfan disaster of 1966, which, as told in the podcasts, was preceded by eerie and disturbing dreams that appear related.

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Could you explain further? Why charge a Tarot deck? How do you do it? And what happened at Avebury? :confused:
Hard to explain - and you don't have to 'charge' them as such but I happened to have it with me when I was there and thought why not. I still have that deck but never use it.

Nothing happened at Averbury - been there several times. It definitely has a powerful, er, feel to it. Then, so do most other old sacred sites.

I was talking last night with someone not from round here and we got on the subject of certain places having a really odd, or out of whack feeling, about them. She told me about walking somewhere not far from my house and getting this really awful, doom-laden feeling and I chimed in that there is one field round here where I can feel that, as well. Turned out she was describing the same field I had in mind. Everything looks the same round here, so I wouldn't have necessarily expected someone else to feel the same way in that specific field, as I do - as opposed to any of the other near identical fields which stretch for hundreds of acres in every direction.

Probably some physical, explainable phenomenon. But oddly, although I have always disliked how that field makes me feel if I walk through it, I have also always felt safe. Like the place knows me (every graveyard round here has my DNA in it, so many centuries of relatives farmed, lived and died here). But she comes from elsewhere and said she didn't feel safe there, at all. I dunno if any of that makes sense.

pandacracker

Abominable Snowman
Well, I understand the bits about places having odd atmospheres and connection to land through family but I still don't understand how you charge a tarot deck and what it's charged with.

If it's difficult to explain in words I'm happy to go with interpretive dance :headspinner::nelly::hapdan:

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
... but I still don't understand how you charge a tarot deck and what it's charged with. ...
There's no particular "charging" protocol prescribed, so I don't know exactly what GITM may have been meaning. Having said that ...

Tarot aficionados recommend taking care of one's own Tarot deck. Many deck maintenance tips are framed in terms of "energy" - e.g., the deck becoming "exhausted" or "contaminated" and needing to be "cleansed" and / or "charged."

Some sources emphasize using or meditating upon the cards as a charging strategy. Others suggest external aids such as full moonlight or crystals to cleanse and / or charge the cards.

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Well, I understand the bits about places having odd atmospheres and connection to land through family but I still don't understand how you charge a tarot deck and what it's charged with.

If it's difficult to explain in words I'm happy to go with interpretive dance :headspinner::nelly::hapdan:
Panda, if you saw my interpretive dance you'd lose your lunch. But you're right I can't really do it justice with words, so won't do that either. :nelly:

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Recently, husband's friend and colleague died. He was only in his 50s. He was an ex squaddie who had also been a roadie, at one point, for a band who'd had their heyday in the 70s. The band used to visit stone circles when they toured and one that husband's friend loved very much was Castlerigg in Cumbria. We go up there a lot, so they'd had a few conversations about it. Friend also loved jelly babies.

The day before the funeral, we were in Cumbria and realised, at dusk (Oct 31st as well) we would be driving right past the stone circle, so husband decided to leave some sacrificial jelly babies for his friend.

Failing light, but here's one snapshot I got:

IMG_6026.JPG
IMG_6026.JPG

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
I went with my ex partner over to the Eden Valley in Cumbria and persuaded him to visit Meg and her Daughters. Despite having a map and the place being signposted, it took us AGES of driving around before we found the location. When we got there, we were practically the only ones there (a huge contrast to Castlerigg). I tried taking some pictures, but the camera on my phone wouldn't work - all I got was a pink screen covered in streaks. As we walked around, the camera started to work and and I got some actual photos, but it stopped again before we left.

Probably just a problem with the camera, but it's never done it before or since! I've deleted the 'pink streak' pictures, but here's one that was taken while I was trying to get the camera to work - I have no idea what the blocky black pixels are! Like I said, it's never done it before or since. The file is called Castlerigg but was actually taken at Long Meg. Castlerigg.jpg

Ermintruder

Delineated by a professional cryptozoologist
@Spin Crystal ..... although I'm not holding my breath, I'm keeping faith that you are still going to say some more.

That's three full moons since you last posted. Please don't make it a fourth.

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
I went with my ex partner over to the Eden Valley in Cumbria and persuaded him to visit Meg and her Daughters. Despite having a map and the place being signposted, it took us AGES of driving around before we found the location. When we got there, we were practically the only ones there (a huge contrast to Castlerigg). I tried taking some pictures, but the camera on my phone wouldn't work - all I got was a pink screen covered in streaks. As we walked around, the camera started to work and and I got some actual photos, but it stopped again before we left.

Probably just a problem with the camera, but it's never done it before or since! I've deleted the 'pink streak' pictures, but here's one that was taken while I was trying to get the camera to work - I have no idea what the blocky black pixels are! Like I said, it's never done it before or since. The file is called Castlerigg but was actually taken at Long Meg. View attachment 21058
Oh I'm gonna have to find that one! I know what you mean about Castlerigg. I've been at all times of day and year and weather and have never had the place to myself - or if we have, only briefly before someone turns up.

At Samhain there was a bunch of amateur photographers there from a club, I guess - we've seen a similar group (or maybe it was them) there before... You feel like you're ruining their photos by walking up to the stones. They probably don't mind. But I did wonder if we'd gone by later, who would have been there. Someone.

Here's a photo I took the other June, a few days after Midsummer - the hippies were still there. Along with this fabulous shrine.
IMG_0184(1).JPG
IMG_0184(1).JPG