Stone Circle Shock

@Spin Crystal never did answer my question. And the >last< time they are shown as being active on this forum is less than 2days after their first post, above.

Sadly....
Hello Ermintruder!
I have to begin to read the responses to my post. A few days after writing I turned my attention to my father who fell ill. Until a few days ago I had not been able to sit for anything other than sleep. Family takes priority. After reading the responses here, I am bowled over! No way could I have foreseen the variety of interesting topics and informational links sent by all of you on here. It certainly is a privilege and no accident I came upon this site!

Now. I shall get to all of it!

Ciao for now, but soon I will put my stamp again. Need a bit to read!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Hello Ermintruder!
I have to begin to read the responses to my post. A few days after writing I turned my attention to my father who fell ill. Until a few days ago I had not been able to sit for anything other than sleep. Family takes priority. After reading the responses here, I am bowled over! No way could I have foreseen the variety of interesting topics and informational links sent by all of you on here. It certainly is a privilege and no accident I came upon this site!

Now. I shall get to all of it!

Ciao for now, but soon I will put my stamp again. Need a bit to read!
Thank you for your input here. As you say, family comes first. I hope all is well with your father.

Sid

Devoted Cultist
I love the idea that standing stones possess and emit unusual properties. Being near natural outcroppings in the landscape has some effect on the organism for sure. Geomagnetic or whatever. Things happen. Very cool.
Hi 'Skinny.' I remember one place in particular in Scotland where I lived many years ago, of coming across a large - long, fallen standing stone (now there's a great contradiction in terms of explaining something!) in the middle of a fairly out-of-the-way standing stone sight - but since then, I've forgotten the name of the place where it was... anyway, carved into the stone were a multitude of cup-marks of varying sizes in which I placed round labels to highlight them on film, and a long carved incision between them. What was my interpretation of those was personally speaking, was that the whole markings were a crude form of a mapping, probably depicting houses of the day within forest land, and the river (the Tay) was the long incised carved line, only my own theory though you understand - but basically, it seemed to me at the time to have made perfect sense?

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
What was my interpretation of those was personally speaking, was that the whole markings were a crude form of a mapping, probably depicting houses of the day within forest land, and the river (the Tay) was the long incised carved line,
Your interpretation reminds me of what I've read about Indigenous Australian paintings—that they are maps of the Dreamtime landscape (IIRC).
https://www.aboriginalart.com.au/culture/dreamtime2.html
https://www.aboriginal-art-australia.com/aboriginal-art-library/aboriginal-dot-art-behind-the-dots/
https://gagosian.com/exhibitions/2019/desert-painters-of-australia-part-two/

So—your interpretation makes sense to me!
(Apologies for the plethora of links—I love paint!)