• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Stone Circles Causing Illness Or Physical Malaise

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Ancient stone circle has made us ill, say ghost detectives

Feb 11 2004

Robin Turner, The Western Mail

A PAIR of psychic investigators looking at the healing properties of an ancient stone circle claim it has made them seriously ill.

Brian Perinton and mother-of-two Claire Williams visited Carn Llechart stone circle in the Swansea Valley three months ago. They planned to investigate the healing properties and positive energy which standing in the centre of circle, said to have been constructed in around 2,000BC, was reputed to give to people.

Mr Perinton said yesterday, "I have never seen anything like it. Claire was bodily thrown from the centre of the circle by some kind of force. I felt it too. It was like being punched in the stomach.

"Since our visit we suffered severe headaches, stomach problems, lethargy and general illness. It was almost as if our energy was completely sapped by whatever was in the centre of those stones.

"We are starting to recover now but we want to find out if anyone else has had similar experiences. We would love to speak to them to find out if the illnesses and general feeling of weakness are the same.

"Then we can start some kind of scientific investigation into what could be causing this."

Mr Perinton, 65, and Ms Williams, 32, run a ghost detective agency in Swansea and have been called to offices, houses and other buildings in which owners or occupants claim to be troubled by spirits or apparitions.

In a recent mission they helped a pub in Neath to rid itself of an angry spirit, said to have been the ghost of a former regular who did not want to leave.

Carn Llechart stone circle, high above Pontardawe, is said to be one of the finest examples of a stone ring cairn or burial chamber in Wales.

The unusual circle is 40ft across and consists of 25 stones leaning slightly outwards giving a crown of thorns effect.

No one is entirely certain why the stone circles were created but they are a Celtic phenomenon. Archaeologists believe they could be giant calendars with stone shadows tracing the alignment of the moon and sun.

It could be the stones are tributes to the dead buried in the circle and some have even speculated they could be used to harness the energy of ley lines, thought to be lines of magnetic energy running across the earth.

Professor Clive Ruggles, of the University of Leicester, says great care is needed in interpreting them.

He said, "Just because a monument is aligned in a certain direction we might be tempted to interpret it as astronomically significant.

"But the Bronze Age people were not astronomers as we know the term today. However, celestial cycles and objects were extremely important to them."

Certain circular tombs in Britain have been found to point towards the rising sun and winter solstices.

Many believe stone circles have magic or healing powers, so much so that English Heritage was forced many years ago to fence off the country's best known stone circle, Stonehenge.

Scientists have carried out experiments at a variety of stone circles finding that the huge rocks tend to generate their own weak magnetic fields. But whether these can combine at certain times of the year as some pagans claim, so as to concentrate energy at a central point, has never been proved.

Mr Perinton said, "We would like anyone who has had a similar experience to contact our agency so we can build up a picture of what is happening."

The agency's number is 01792 417693.

source

(url tidied up - honestly, emps :roll:.. stu)

Very interesting story- the effect sounds similar to Lethbridge's ghoul. As a resident of swansea for a fair few years I am ashamed to admit I had never heard of Carn Llechart at all.

As a bit of a technical aside, is it correct to attribute a 4000 year old remain to the celts? I would think that it was a bit early.

I've read about dowsers being hit by energy being thrown off stone circles, apparently it can be quite violent and can make you ill.
I would say most stone circles were earlier than Celtic too, which is not the same as the Bronze Age, but thats a minor niggle in the article I guess.

I know I'm a bastard for suggesting it...

Maybe the stones made a judgement call about the two, and decided that they would supply what was deserved?

Trace [guilty till proven innocent] Mann

maybe you have to "tune in" (somehow) to the frequency of the energy being released/generatered by the stones to enter the circle?

(sorry if it sounds a bit new agey)

Carn Llechart isn't far from where I live.

At the moment, some company is planning to build a wind farm on Mynydd y Gwair which is nearby. There's a lot of opposition locally.

I'm wondering whether this might give rise to stories along the lines of "don't go sticking turbines up there 'cause of bad energies, (and don't go wandering off the path) etc".

There are lots of other remains in the area including neolithic remains, an Iron Age enclosure, a Roman road, and the old boundary between Norman Gower and Welsh Deheubarth.

Harry Grindell Matthews, "The Death Ray" man, also lived on Mynydd y Gwair.

Sounds like some kind of reveresed polarity to me. I would be interested to note the dates/times/seasons of all these experiences of the stones draining people or making them, perhaps they correspond. Maybe the ancients avoided the stones like the plague at certain times of year and went to them at others.

The Celts generally did not build many stone circles, they were erected by the pre-Celtic Neolithic peoples who were generally agreed by the Celts to have had more magic than they did.

Of course, and tales about healing/afflictive powers at such sites are at best speculative, and probably not too old as stories either...

JerryB said:
Of course, and tales about healing/afflictive powers at such sites are at best speculative, and probably not too old as stories either...
Of, course, the problem with 'oral', or spoken, traditions is they're difficult to provenance, unless someone's thoughtfully written the tradition down at some point in the past.

A PAIR of psychic investigators looking at the healing properties of an ancient stone circle claim it has made them seriously ill.

But who are they going to sue?

On a much smaller scale I know that quite a few people say they get headaches from quartz crystals and such.

Rather ironic if the circle has made them ill when they wanted to look at its healing properties!
There are quite a few sets of stones that are supposed to make you fertile as well aren't there?

Min Bannister said:
There are quite a few sets of stones that are supposed to make you fertile as well aren't there?
This is absolutely true. :p

Avebury

Avebury is only a few miles from where I live and I go out there because I find it a very benign, ' healing ' place, ( if you can find parking and avoid a crowd of Druids fighting - which happened on the Autumn Equinox once when we were there - asoloutly no disrespect to them it was simply an argument that got heated which happens all the time amongst any crowd)

I walked up from where my brother had parked once, way up the road to look at Silbury Hill. I knew that we were late for something my brother had to do and I was keeping him waiting, so when I looked at my watch I ran. I had to run along the side of the road for a way, across a field and carpark at top speed. No problem, except I was an utterly unfit smoker ( still am). But as I was running I felt a huge, airy almost electrical energy through me. I got to the car and stopped and thought - 'okay now I'm going to die,' I hadn't run like that since I was about 14 - and prepared to collapse. And nothing, I was not even out of breath, I felt energised, a feeling that lasted for a couple of hours.
I experienced a similar feeling at Bryn celli Ddu on Anglesey, went there feeling as though I was about to go down with flu and came back feeling terrific, coincidence probably, but the feeling of energy was the same. So now, if I feel especially depressed, I like to go to Avebury, probably all the placebo effect but it certainly does me no harm.

I've never felt anything but peace and wonder at Silbury. When I sit up on top of the West Kennet Long Barrow and look down at that wonderful mound I feel like I want to stay there forever.

If any of you are interested, there's a petition to save Silbury here:

http://www.petitiononline.com/Silbury1/

And you might want to surf by and have a look here too:

http://www.heritageaction.org/

I've only ever had one bad experience at Avebury. Stayed at the Red Lion once and was sick and shaky all through the night (I hadn't been drinking). As soon as I got outside in the morning I felt absolutely fine. It hasn't put me off going to Avebury - in fact I'll be there this weekend.

I think I'd like to retire there.

Thanks for the links SilburyMoon.

It's good to see Heritage Action have got things moving and are creating a web presence :)

Here's hoping! :yeay:

I've only ever had one bad experience at Avebury. Stayed at the Red Lion once and was sick and shaky all through the night (I hadn't been drinking). As soon as I got outside in the morning I felt absolutely fine.

Isn't the Red Lion meant to be haunted? Are haunted places making people feel sick?

The Red Lion is supposed to be haunted, Ive been there a few times but I never felt anything,( it is often packed with tourists, maybe a night vigil with a few people after the crowds have gone would be better) I think it was on Most Haunted, and is sometimes in the local paper for things that happen there.

Hello all.
Many years ago I and the missus visited the Merry Maidens stone circle near St Buryan in the very toe of Cornwall. It was a sunny day, we were on holiday, we were looking forward to a pub lunch and frankly all was right with the world.

It was 10 am on a weekday and we were the only visitors. But after a few minutes in the circle, I began to feel ill. I felt physically sick, deeply unhappy and on edge. It was oppressive and very unpleasant. My wife curtailed her meandering and came over. Before I said a word, she told me she felt nauseous and wanted to go. It lifted from both of us a little when we left, but we both felt really out of sorts for an hour. In the car, my wife described it as like a hangover, but with the regret and shame amplified. I simply felt miserable and sick.

We hadn't been drinking the night before, it almost certainly wasn't food-poisoning and we were both fine and cheerful before. Could be lots of things. Radon gas, nearby crops being sprayed etc, but from that day to this, we believe it was the stones.

Interesting report: I imagine that if the ill effects were down to being directly effected via being in the circle of stones themselves, then it might well also have happened to other people who have visited the stone circle too?

Back