• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Stone Circles Causing Emotional Sensations (Sorrow, Etc.)

on a trip to Newgrange it was quite a downer with the gyftshoppe part but once inside the entrance stones it was a very serene and happy old place.
no bristling energies etc but just a feeling of contentment :)
probably because my i drove there in my reliant robin.
dont ask about customs either :D

I had a similar experience about 10 years ago, at Portsmouth beach near the fort down by Gosport.
I was sat there happily watching the ferries and boats mill about, when a wave of depression hit me and I just burst out crying uncontrollably, as though i had some terrible news and repeating no,no,no over and over.about 20 seconds later I stopped, and felt exhilarated.
Never felt anything like that before or since.:eek!!!!:

Culloden

I don't know if i've mentioned this before but I was really shaken by a visit to Culloden (the battlesite) I made a few years ago. This is apparently not unusual; it happened to a (psychic) friend of ours as well as also to erm, Dennis Nilsen (famous mass murderer/musician/artist/writer/poet).
Anyone else been there and felt anything similiar?
:cross eye

I don't think I've read this thread before,I just did a search for Stanton Drew (as I went there today) to see what people had to say about it and this was one of the threads that came up.
While I was there I sat in the shade of one of the larger stones for a drink of water ( I walked from Pensford and it was hot) and I felt suddenly a terrible sadness, it went right through me. I got the impression it was 'something else' like a spirit or ghost showing me the feeling as opposed to a premonition type sad feeling (like the ones I get when a person or pet is going to die) . It took a few minutes to disperse.

Odd... I always feel happy around any megaliths (particularly West Kennet), except maybe Stonehenge where all I felt was boredom and disgust, because it's been taken out of its natural place, like an animal in a zoo, and all the tourists parade around it with their noisy audio guides and the Brits walk around with false pride and <rant>

I was blessed to visit both Stonehenge and Avebury in the dead of winter, 2002. Some of my photos are here:

http://www.thefragment.com/gallery/

I was further blessed as an American tourist, to be in the company of a friend with an extensive historical background and a deep reverence for the culture of the British Isles.

What I felt at stonehenge wasn't the electric "rock concert" energy or even the low earth humming many describe. I was saddened by the clueless tourists, nearby highways, and gift shop (though I still bought goodies) yet at the same time, could not help but feel overwhelmed by the majesty of the stones. Of course I was not able to walk within them. And I understand why. But there is definitely *something* there that creates, or perhaps collects energy. My only sadness was leaving.

That same day we reached Avebury near sundown. VERY different - I felt the chill of lurking antiquity all around... whispers that this place had been revered and reviled and that these memories were seeping from the stones. I'd go back to Stonehenge for a visit. I'd go to Avebury for a very long, explorative study.

minotaur said:
I was blessed to visit both Stonehenge and Avebury in the dead of winter, 2002.

Great photos, thanks for the link.

I personally prefer both the atmosphere in Avebury, and the fact that one can touch the stones unlike the far more tourist-oriented Stonehenge.

One of my family is from Wiltshire and still keeps a flat in Devizes, so hopefully I'll be paying another visit in the new year. :cool:

I've been to Stanton Drew a few times since moving to Somerset, the most recent being last week when my parents came a-visiting. Every time, I've experienced a weird sensation there; a sort of disassociation with reality. It starts when I cross the bridge into the village. There's a feeling that I've crossed the threshold from "our" world into something far more ancient and enduring. The fact that, in all the times I've been there, I've never seen a single person in and around the village, doing normal villagey things, probably contributes as well. My Dad's comment was "This is a bit Wicker Man isn't it?"

It's a wonderful site though, and I like the slightly overgrown, neglected, forgotten vibe to it, especially when contrasted with poor, abused Stonehenge.

I have to agree with an earlier post and say that Castlerigg was the most beautiful and spectacular stone circle I've ever seen. There were huge heiffers strolling about willing to be stroked and even some hippies singing songs with their guitars so for me it was even better than perfect.

I didn't get to visit Stonehenge before they chucked everyone off and so won't go and see it now. It's besieged.

Robin Hood's tree in Sherwood forest is so propped up, splinted, and roped that it's like going to visit a cadaver on life-support in hospital.

About Seahenge - It's the only time I've been out of my seat, ranting at the television, with tears rolling down my face in impotent rage. Any respect for Time Team was destroyed utterly - I felt it was the one time they ought NOT to have been a neutral observer and despise them now as much as the perpetrators. I don't think I'd have hated that woman as much if she hadn't constantly been perplexed by the strength of the reaction that the destruction was having on everybody else. I bitterly regret not having seen it when it was still 'alive'.

If you can feel strongly about things from a distance then its not surprising that you can get caught up in the atmosphere and catch a bit of the wonderful wierdness whilst actually there.

I visited Avebury when I was five months pregnant with my son, and I felt dreadfully ill all the time I was there, sick, confused,I could,nt wait to get away. Someone suggested to me that it was the fact that I was pregnant that had made me feel bad but during the whole pregnancy I had,nt been sick at all. I ve always thought that it was the place itself. We walked among the stones, had a picnic etc and all the time I felt as though something did,nt want me there.

Ive no desire to go back, either as I found the whole place to be oppressive.

I visited Avebury back in 1994. I did the usual tour of the stones in the village then walked down to West Kennet Long Barrow. On the way back to the car I decided to walk past Silbury Hill.

As soon as I came within sight of the mound I started to feel extremely uneasy. As I got closer the unease got more pronounced. All I can describe it as is pure terror. If I turned my back on the mound I felt slightly better. It wasn't until I got back to the car, that was at the other side of Silbury, that I started feeling as if everything was back to normal.

I have been to Silbury Hill since and didn't experience a thing. I have no idea what went on that particular day in 1994.

Mark

Re: Culloden

tonylovell~ said:
I don't know if i've mentioned this before but I was really shaken by a visit to Culloden (the battlesite) I made a few years ago. This is apparently not unusual; it happened to a (psychic) friend of ours as well as also to erm, Dennis Nilsen (famous mass murderer/musician/artist/writer/poet).

What is interesting to me is the way places that ought to have absolutely horrible auras about them do not seem at all bad.

Take the area around Towton, in Yorkshire. The biggest battle ever fought in Britain was fought there, between two sides of thirty thousand and forty thousand troops. On that day and the following few (post-battle mopping up, looting etc) between twenty and twenty eight thousand people were killed, mostly in extremely violent ways, this being a medieval battle fought without cavalry (the armies occupied the ridge of high land it was fought on from side to side).

The place ought to be absolutely heaving with ghosts; it ought to have a reputation for knocking psychics down from miles away.

But it hasn't. There's not a headless horseman, black dog, phantom army or strange tale to tell anywhere.

Dogs do not turn tail at the very sight of the place; not even foxhounds which have very little brain to get between them and the world.

Horses do not shy wildly there. Birds sing merrily beside the stream once bridged by the bodies of the dead and dying.

The brook that once ran red with blood for days is as peaceful a place as you could wish to find anywhere.

Why do relatively minor but historic battles have to many ghosts, yet great senseless slaughters that are today but memorials to stupidity have none?

Hi All

I apologise now as this is not about the paranormal and if this post is deleted then so be it. I just wanted to promote a folky CD that was brought out to help repair the mindless vandalism of the Rollright Stones wardens hut earlier this year. I'm an arachaeologist and feel like many of you have said about these sites. They do seem spiritual. Please take a butchers at the following link and buy the CD to help them to help this site. Thanks and once again apologies for being in the wrong place.

http://www.rollrightproject.org/

Re: a bad feeling about this

tonylovell~ said:
I found Stonehenge to be a very starnge, creepy place, and i never even got to go through the fence. Salisbury Plain itself was eerie on it's own - so very, very vast - it really felt like some other world, like nothing was beyond it.
Another spooky place was Culloden, a battle site up in Scotland. Very bad vibes (a friend of mine who claims to be psychic absolutely hated the place)! And another, unexpectedly creepy place was Glastonbury - it's generally raved about in a positive way but to me felt very frightening, as did the whole place, the town. I couldn't pinpoint why, but I was glad to leave.

I agree with you about Glastonbury - very spooky place, especially the Tor.

I have never felt anything much in stone circles except once and that was at Duloe in Cornwall - a sort of prickly, eyes-on-the-back-of-your-neck feeling. And I swear that in the centre of the circle, everyday noises that could be heard outside (birds singing, cars on the nearby road,you know the sort of thing) could not be heard at all. Odd.

Ditto Glastonbury. We (me wife and kids) went up it one chilly day. The view was fantastic, some hippies were strumming mandolins, but there was an overpowering feeling of disharmony. We were very disappointed, expecting to feel spiritual vibes, but came away feeling anxious and confused.

Re: Not unusual

Ravenbait~ said:
There was the small group of three (one man and two women) who came to perform a ritual at Rollright, and came running out in tears about an hour later, saying that things had been attacking them and trying to possess them. On asking we discovered that they had started by casting a circle, and generally people who start by casting circle don't seem to do so well there.

Later on someone also said not to make a circle within the circle. There seems to be a lot of folklore about regarding making circles. That includes fairy circles [maybe I should have made that comment in a different thread but it was reading through this that made me remember], witches dancing in circles etc. It seems to be important as to where people make circles and dangerous to disturb circles made by others [fairies]. Reports about people disappearing after joining are not uncommon and the whole thing has been possibly linked with abductions [note that I didn't say "alien" even though in newer times you may well use the "A" word as a substitute]. Interesting is though that there may be an underlying truth about circles being maybe a way of getting yourself into a different state of mind [and I don't mean a trance but actually "travelling" to a different mind-place where aliens, fairies, snakes or whatever roam and have stuff to say]. I dunno but it seems worth taking circles and dancing in circles maybe more serious. Could be a way of "contacting" or as I said "sending" youself to other realms/dimensions etc...

Re: Culloden

tonylovell~ said:
Anyone else been there and felt anything similiar?
:cross eye

I know I've posted this elsewhere, but I experienced something very similar on the beach at Normandy, France. My father is a history buff and is especially drawn to WW2 places & strategies. As a young and gabby teenager, I went with him, my family and our friends to visit the site. With no knowledge (or concern) for what happened there, I left the group to explore the far reaches of site including an abandoned Nazi bunker. At about 2 steps down, I felt as if I would burst into tears. I was so profoundly sad, it was as if I couldn't breath. I said nothing to anyone and went back to the car. At a visit later in the day to an occupation muesum, I felt smothered again and unable to catch my breath. I had to leave or risk either falling apart or fainting.

Over dinner, each person I was with that day said they had a similar experience. It was such a mystery to me...until I saw "Saving Private Ryan" and recognized the beach front. I really believe there is something unusual about that place. Something that has been disturbed by the loss experienced there.

However, I have been to Gettysburg and other civil war sites - with no issues.

[/list]

I once had feelings of fear and sadness when my family stopped for a break during a long drive to my Uncle's house in Argyle. I cannot remember which battlefield it was but I noted that where we had stopped in the night was close to the site of a battle when I looked at the map (I was chief navigator.)

I was also plagued by feelings of fear on top of Glastonbury Tor. Mostly though Glastonbury seemed peaceful to me although I did want to kill the bongo drummers....

I was also plagued by feelings of fear on top of Glastonbury Tor. Mostly though Glastonbury seemed peaceful to me although I did want to kill the bongo drummers....

hmmm....you brought the bongo drummer with you OR there was a bongo drummer stalking you? Not been to Glastonbury, so do tell.

Stonehenge

I visited Stonehenge last year for the first time on my birthday. I got the feeling that it was a scientific sort of place where knowledge was acquired. The tremendous circular plain made it obvious to me that it was about observation of the stars and planets. It also had a "spacey" aura, as if they used the circle to contact the dead there or the world of spirits or maybe even alien intelligences from the stars, according to some timetable, therefore the calendar aspect. Interesting what someone said about feeling that one of the other circles was "broken." Stonehenge felt to me like being inside a giant broken clock.

I did feel a bit "down" there but attributed it to jet lag.

A funny coincidence - I noticed that the tour guide was named Julia, like me, and said Hi to her. Everyone's named Julie, I said, hardly any Julias! Bugger Julies she said and we laughed. And leaving, I quickly picked up a pretty postcard and only when I got home did I notice that it was a photo of the Julia Set crop circles. Now, dang, I've lost it in my house somewhere! I guess it got sucked back into the time portal. Probably sitting on the shelf at the Stonehenge gift shop right now.

Julia

Cleaning out my bookshelves the other day, I picked up "UFOs - Psychic Close Encounters" by Albert Budden. One incident he details seems related to this thread. He tells how in 1990 a couple stopped at night at Stonehenge and after approaching the monument were overcome by a sudden feeling of fear, and in the man's case, an entity sighting. This was after driving through a weird green fog and also hallucinating actually touching the heelstone when that couldn't have happened outside the fence. And a banana on the dashboard of the car turned to brown mush. :eek:

Anyway, to summarize the entire book in one sentence, Budden believes that electromagnetism and/or ELF waves, from whatever source, account for various kinds of weird and/or visionary experiences but doesn't link this with stone circles.

That got me thinking about stone circles and crop circles -- crop circles, whether man-made or not, seem to change the natural electromagnetic readings within the circle and also can cause profound mental and spiritual effects to susceptable persons. So if a man-made crop circle can cause changes in electromagnet charges, how much more a stone circle? No doubt a cast magickal circle works the same way.

gyrtrash said:
I had a strange experience... Like an intense feeling of 'panic' which lasted for a minute or two.
That would be interesting to read about if you can include it.
In 85-86 I spent a lot of time photographing prehistoric sites in the peak district. They ranged from large, well preserved stone henges like Arbor Low to the kind of ploughed out earth works you talk about at Kettleness. The provenance of a few was dubious archeologically speaking or they were so broken and debased visually as to be unrecordable as a 'feature'.

It was as interesting to see how they fit visually into the surrounding landscape as psychogeographically though one couldn't help picking up on atmospheres. Transport to all of them was by bicycle and on foot which in the peaks is hard going (I was a lot fitter then) so basic lack of oxygen might have accounted for a few moods. Most were IMO neutral, a few very pleasant and only one or two locations I'd regard as sinister from all the places shot.
Exposure, loneliness or weather was never a cue to the feeling and I never experienced anything approaching panic but some were profoundly melancholic and I was glad to get the shot and leave.
At Nine Stones, nr Robin Hood's Stride (which actually number four and perhaps a gate post) I found the mood both euphoric and malign on different occasions. Eyam Moor was one place I certainly wouldn't go back to in a hurry.

I went to Stonehenge in the summer of 1989. You could still walk amongst the stones.I was expecting a feeling of magical energy (ley lines). Instead I was shocked at how quiet everything was, despite a multitude of fellow tourists. And the sheep all around the plateau were a big shocker too. In pictures, this plateau is never noticeable. Why is that?
I found it to be the most silent place on earth.

The Mayan ruins-I felt nothing (but awe)
At the Venus de Milo-I broke down and cried like a baby for some reason. (Stendhal Syndrome?)
The War Room was-impressive.

Stonehenge could indeed be a monument to some kind of terrible event or evil occurance. Does anyone remember that old Quatermass series - where people gathering at stone circle's and monoliths were getting zapped by an alien death-ray which was harvesting people for some unknown purpose?

forteanflight said:
Stonehenge could indeed be a monument to some kind of terrible event or evil occurance. Does anyone remember that old Quatermass series - where people gathering at stone circle's and monoliths were getting zapped by an alien death-ray which was harvesting people for some unknown purpose?

I have that on DVD. I'm pretty sure it was fictional, though!

Take your point, Stonehenge might well be a memorial, but as it was so long ago that it was founded we'll never know. We don't even know if the way it looks today is the way it has always looked, so there are no clues.

forteanflight said:

I've the DVD. Frikken brilliant.

Huffity, puffity, Ringstone Round,
If you lose your hat it will never be found,
So pull your britches right up to your chin,
And fasten your cloak with a bright new pin,
And when you are ready, then we can begin,
Huffity, puffity, puff!

BOOM!

gncxx, AMPIHARAUS;

That Quatermass story was brilliant and, altghough fictional, I can't help wondering if it might have accidentally come close to hitting the nail on the head as to what the purposes of these sites were.

For other who didn't see it - the sotry revealed that the unknown alien force had been peridocally zapping certain sites on Earth for millenia. People would feel the urge to congregate at the sites en-masse - at which poitn the alien beam woudl striek and vapourise them for harvesting purposes. The story relealed that himans had then built places like Stonehenge as a memorial to those terrible attacks. However, when the alien attacks began again, people were still lured to the same places.

Well worth getting hold on DVD if you can - go for the complete 4-part version rather than the editied compilation. You'll never feel the same "cosy, fluffy, new age" way about Stonehenge ever again ...

gncxx said:
Stonehenge might well be a memorial, but as it was so long ago that it was founded we'll never know.
Unless, of course, future gathering of people there start getting zapped by an alien beam! ;)

Back