Stone Circles Of Modern Origin

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
Ham Hill in Somerset - a country park and still partly a working quarry for the beautiful orange 'Ham stone' that typifies the local buildings - has a modern stone circle that's starting to weather quite nicely.

1548291707720.jpeg

It was erected as a millennium project and commemorates the long history of stone quarrying on the hill.

Back in the 1970s there were still concrete WWII pill boxes standing, from when the quarry was used for training. If you were lucky you could still find the odd brass bullet casing. From the war memorial in the background you can see many villages all around, including the late Paddy Ashdown's gaff.

Well worth a visit if you're in south Somerset, more stuff here: https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryMagazine/DestinationsUK/Ham-Hill-Somerset/

Eyespy

Junior Acolyte
There is a modern monolith in the little valley near Priston Somerset. I believe it was erected in 2014 and the stone came from Wales. There is a little bit of information in the nearby pub- Ring of Bells which does an excellent range of ciders and decent food ( Fire place and bowling alley too). grid reference might be ST 691 602 priston 2.jpg priston 1.jpg

catseye

For the greater good
Ham Hill in Somerset - a country park and still partly a working quarry for the beautiful orange 'Ham stone' that typifies the local buildings - has a modern stone circle that's starting to weather quite nicely.

View attachment 14383

It was erected as a millennium project and commemorates the long history of stone quarrying on the hill.

Back in the 1970s there were still concrete WWII pill boxes standing, from when the quarry was used for training. If you were lucky you could still find the odd brass bullet casing. From the war memorial in the background you can see many villages all around, including the late Paddy Ashdown's gaff.

Well worth a visit if you're in south Somerset, more stuff here: https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryMagazine/DestinationsUK/Ham-Hill-Somerset/
I used to live in Montacute and regularly walked from home to Ham Hill and back. Ah memories...

Also, whilst we're there, has anyone definitively decided on a date for the Cerne Abbas Giant? (Refrains from posting a picture in case any delicate sensibilities are upset).

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member