• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Stone-Throwing Ghosts?

Gravenwee21524

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
In the early 90's a friend and myself had been ejected from from a club in Cheadle hume (we were stopping a friend of ours fom beating up his ex girlfriends new partner, the nice, friendly bouncers decided to throw everybody out apart from my friend who had started the fisticuffs!) the short of it was we had to walk home to Rugeley in Staffordshire whilst the police took our friend (and driver) to Stoke police station.
We were not drunk, and the club (The Highwayman) was in the middle of nowhwere, so the only thing for it was to walk back and hopefuly get a lift.
No lift was forthcoming (would you stop in the middle of the night for two long haired grebos on a dark country lane?!!!) it must have been about 4am when a large stone come flying past us, it was pitch darkness, no houses/farms/anything even near us, my friend was a bit of a prankster so I thought he must have picked it up and threw it from behind his back?, another three stones came past us and I snapped at my friend to pack it in, he stopped walking,faced me and said he thought it was me, then another 3/4 stones at once just missed us and we freaked out a bit and started to run for a while, the stones stopped. I'd say we were about two miles outside Abbots Bromley when it occured. I have read that there are manyreports ofstone throwing ghosts, anyone got any ideas?.

Gravenwee21524 said:
I have read that there are manyreports ofstone throwing ghosts, anyone got any ideas?.

Youngsters in the wheat?

Youngsters in the wheat? possible, although at 4am in a remote area it seems unlikely, there was nothing round the area, no houses for miles, just pitch darkness and empty fields either side.

Gravenwee21524 said:
Youngsters in the wheat? possible, although at 4am in a remote area it seems unlikely, there was nothing round the area, no houses for miles, just pitch darkness and empty fields either side.

4 a.m.? Yes, good point. I just took a look round via Google maps: that would be spooky country in the dark early hours.

But, I've got no other suggestions.

Is it not possible that some other club goers were walking a few hundred metres behind you? They could have thrown the stones, not realising you were there. (Or maybe they did!) :shock:

An irate squirrel trying to get you to stop drunkenly singing Neds Atomic Dustbin tracks?

Slightly more seriously, there could have been someone in a similar position to you trying to sleep it off somewhere, was disturbed and decided to have a bit of fun...

Its true, I am known to do weird unexpected stuff at odd times. Things that when others witness them would say "nobody would do such a thing in a place/time like this."
Apart from that, I do believe that it wasn't people walking behind you that did it. You would have noticed them and why tease you lot without reaping the reward by letting you now it was them.
In warmer climates I would have put my money on monkeys ;)

staticgirl said:
An irate squirrel trying to get you to stop drunkenly singing Neds Atomic Dustbin tracks?

Wash your mouth out!!! :D

Sadly the club was strictly a horrible Motley Crue/Whitesnake men dressed like ladies (apart from me, honest!) type affair, why was I there then I hear you cry?, I have no idea!

Having attended those kind of clubs under extreme duress (me I liked goth and indie clubs best) I would imagine it was the ladies who dressed like strumpets. :D

Another suggestion: the Classic Fell off a Plane Excuse. Perhaps gravel/stones on the runway could have spun up, got lodged into the undercarriage somewhere and then unexpectedly dropped off. If the wind was in the wrong direction you wouldn't have heard the plane...

staticgirl said:
Having attended those kind of clubs under extreme duress (me I liked goth and indie clubs best) I would imagine it was the ladies who dressed like strumpets. :D

Another suggestion: the Classic Fell off a Plane Excuse. Perhaps gravel/stones on the runway could have spun up, got lodged into the undercarriage somewhere and then unexpectedly dropped off. If the wind was in the wrong direction you wouldn't have heard the plane...

By undercarriage do you mean landing gear? Cuz unless they were very near an airport wouldn't the gear be retracted?

Well I didn't want to be too specific because

a) I haven't a clue and
b) mud and stones could splatter onto anywhere underneath and stick then freeze perhaps....

What made it worse was we had been talking about Salems Lot about an hour before :(

I witnessed a bizarre scene about a month ago. Walking the dog in a local park I paused to look over the bridge into the river below. It appeared someone was throwing stones either at me or into the water. The park was empty and there was no obvious place such a person could have been hiding without a powerful catapult.

Big splashes continued and the cause gradually became apparent. A squirrel, for reasons I can only guess at, was 'flicking' acorns from an oak tree into the water. The trout - the river contains only wild brown trout at this point - were responding to the falls by rising to the surface. I'm confident acorns are not part of trout diet which is aquatic insects and, in larger specimens small fish, but the squirrel and fish appeared to be enjoying a game of their own.

Every time the squirrel lobbed at acorn into the water it resulted in a splash much larger than its fall from the rising trout, which is why I'd assumed someone was throwing stones. If the squirrel wasn't gathering acorns and the trout weren't eating them, what was going on?

Sounds like you stumbled into the Beatrix Potter parallel universe...

I have seen a squirrel flicking seeds and nuts onto the ground in the summer, presumably to then hoover them up. Maybe your squirrel was a really rubbish aim....

/loves the discussions on FT forum

Gravenwee21524 said:
In the early 90's a friend and myself had been ejected from from a club in Cheadle hume...

Do you not mean the Highwayman in Upper Hulme, near Leek? Cheadle Hulme to Rugeley is something like a fifty mile hike and I don't think the peelers would have taken your mate to Stoke if he was picked up at Cheadle.

Anyway if it was the Highwayman at Upper Hulme then yes, you were in the middle of nowhere and would have had to walk through some pretty spooky places to get home. The Warslow - Butterton road (maybe 3 to 4 miles away) is famously haunted (well, locally it is) and the site of my dad's most memorable encounter with the inexplicable. An uncle of his also had a very unnerving experience in that area while riding a motorbike and sidecar, with passenger, across the moor.

The Highwayman? Early 90's? It's a strong possibility that I know the guys who chucked you out. Dress code - poodle haircuts and spandex, if I recall rightly.

Spookdaddy said:
Gravenwee21524 said:
In the early 90's a friend and myself had been ejected from from a club in Cheadle hume...

Do you not mean the Highwayman in Upper Hulme, near Leek? Cheadle Hulme to Rugeley is something like a fifty mile hike and I don't think the peelers would have taken your mate to Stoke if he was picked up at Cheadle.

Anyway if it was the Highwayman at Upper Hulme then yes, you were in the middle of nowhere and would have had to walk through some pretty spooky places to get home. The Warslow - Butterton road (maybe 3 to 4 miles away) is famously haunted (well, locally it is) and the site of my dad's most memorable encounter with the inexplicable. An uncle of his also had a very unnerving experience in that area while riding a motorbike and sidecar, with passenger, across the moor.

The Highwayman? Early 90's? It's a strong possibility that I know the guys who chucked you out. Dress code - poodle haircuts and spandex, if I recall rightly.

The very same!

it was very spooky on the way back, the surroundings I mean, stuff you see while speeding past in a car is very different in the pitch black and on foot.

Have you expanded on these two tantalising snippets anywhere? And if not, might you be persuaded?

Have you expanded on these two tantalising snippets anywhere? And if not, might you be persuaded?

Yes - I think I told both tales on the Derbyshire & Peak District Ghosts thread.

There's very little meat to the uncle's story (to be precise, my great uncle rather than uncle - as stated in the quote).

There are lots of allegedly haunted roads in the area. One of my uncles claimed to have been chased by a man on horseback while riding his motorbike on the road that crosses Butterton Moor between Onecote and Warslow. He was a notorious bullshitter but family tradition asserts that in this case he appeared genuinely terrified and his girlfriend, who had been riding pillion, was virtually apoplectic with fear.

He was a great teller of tales, many of which may not have had a very close relationship with reality (although, he was a mischievous joker, rather than a fantasist - his life having, in fact, been wide ranging and varied enough to justify more than the odd outrageous experience).

The memorable factor within family circles was that on landing wet, bedraggled and decidedly spooked at an aunt's cottage, both he and his passenger appeared genuinely frightened - which, in the former's case, would have been genuinely unlike him.

My dad's experience is described in more detail on the linked thread.

For the record, reading back through this thread it's obvious that I got two pubs mixed up.

It's The Winking Man pub at Upper Hulme, not the old Highwayman - which was in Cheadle (the Staffordshire Cheadle - south of the nearby town of Leek). The confusion probably caused by the fact that The Winking Man started having a 'Highwayman' night - in homage to the other venue, which was a legendary rockers club back in the 80's and 90's.

Back